Pay the price for luxury?

Mrs.C05

Don't know if my title makes sense but I was just thinking that Carnival really marks up the price for a liter of Malibu Rum from the Bon Voyage department. I would love to have some alcohol in our room since I'm sure we'll be on our balcony a lot, but $55 for a liter? That's 3 times the price here!

For those who have bought alcohol for your room, what made you decide? What was your 'justification'?

For those who have bought alcohol for your room, what made you decide? What was your 'justification'?

Geesh! $55 for a bottle of rum?? a slight mark up would be worth it for the convenience of having alcohol delivered to our cabin, but not $55! I can get several DOD for that price!

Geesh! $55 for a bottle of rum?? a slight mark up would be worth it for the convenience of having alcohol delivered to our cabin, but not $55! I can get several DOD for that price!

That's what I've read on here, for Malibu Rum, a liter is $55. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so it isn't only me thinking it's a bit crazy of a mark up.

Haven't justified it and will not try to...lol.

I prefer having the drinks made if I'm going to pay so much. :D

At $8 per drink? I know the drinks are yummy but they're quite pricey!:eek: Hmmm, what to do?:confused: I know once the first day passes, the excitement usually calms down and we only get one drink per night after the first day/night.

We just do it, we dont care for getting into trying to smuggle anything. We bring our wine and diet coke with us and its nice to have a bottle or 2 in the cabin when we get there. Somtimes there is no reason to justify anything, just do it! (as long as its legal) :D

I ordered Bon Voyage last month for the first time and I think it was a good way to g for uso. Yes, the bottle of Bailey's (or reasonable facsimile of Bailey's) was twice what I'd pay at home, but much, much less than what I'd pay having after dinner drinks every night (2 drinks per night at $8 each = $112 versus $40). I contemplated smuggling, but because we fly in, it was just too much of a pain. I'll do Bon Voyage every time. The bottle lasted the week perfectly.

That's what I've read on here, for Malibu Rum, a liter is $55. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so it isn't only me thinking it's a bit crazy of a mark up.

That price is correct. Thye jack up the prices on the most popular drinks. So Malibu, Captain, flavored vodka are expensive. Scotch, gin, are not. Thats just the way of the world I guess. I drink Gin, and a bottle of beefeater is only marked up maybe 30%, I guess it depends what you drink as to if it's worth in to go through BV.

I hear ya on the price..... I ordered last Friday from Bon Voyage one bottle of White Zin, And one bottle of single malt scotch.... $ 30 for the wine and $ 70 for the scotch..... ouch...... But I still have the two bottles we will bring with us and a bottle of Glennfiddich...... If my scotch makes it thru cool beans..... If not, I'll just get it back when we leave....

I'll just hide and watch, and see what happens......:eek:

I hear ya on the price..... I ordered last Friday from Bon Voyage one bottle of White Zin, And one bottle of single malt scotch.... $ 30 for the wine and $ 70 for the scotch..... ouch...... But I still have the two bottles we will bring with us and a bottle of Glennfiddich...... If my scotch makes it thru cool beans..... If not, I'll just get it back when we leave....

I'll just hide and watch, and see what happens......:eek:

They had a special on Fiddich last time I sailed, don't know if it's a regular thing or what and obviously you can't drink it on board...but $18/liter, about as cheap as I've ever seen it....I stocked up!

We pay $42 and a little change for Barcadi Rum through the Bon Voyage Dept and have it waiting for us in the cabin on every cruise.

About double what we would pay for Barcadi at home, but well worth the price difference.

Be aware that some ports can not deliver it until after they sail...I know Mobile is one ... the Bon Voyage made us aware of that when we purchased...but just in case they forget to tell you. It has to do with local liquor laws....

For me, buying a bottle of vodka is well worth the $40....plus, there isn't 15% gratuity added when I want to make a drink in my room. And I usually don't finish it and bring some home.

I checked my price list from the bar and Malibu is $5.75 (might be higher now) per drink, so that is about $6.50 per drink with gratuity..if you drink less than 10 drinks on a one week cruise, then buy at the bar. When you call BV, check and see if they have Cruzan or cheaper coconut rum...you are paying for the "Malibu" name.

I am always amazed that people complain about the bottle prices, but don't bat an eye when there bar bill is $400 for a week....

Now, if you don't drink much, then it's not worth it order a bottle....just do the math. Carnival would be more than happy for you to buy all your drinks at the bar...

At $8 per drink? I know the drinks are yummy but they're quite pricey!:eek: Hmmm, what to do?:confused: I know once the first day passes, the excitement usually calms down and we only get one drink per night after the first day/night.

What sold me on using BV was kind of what you are talking about. First off, the bottle of tequila(Hornitos) is $22 where I live. It will cost me $55 through BV.

Considering I can get at least 25-30 shots out of the bottle, because this is a 1 liter bottle in relation to the 750ml that we buy here, that is at least 25 drinks. 25 drinks times $7-$8 is $175-$200. Quite a savings in my mind, even if the bottle is overpriced.

And, I can have a drink when I want, on my balcony, etc.

It calls comes down to your own preferences.

$55 is 6 or 7 drinks on board at the bar. $55 is approx 20 drinks (of the same strength if you make them yourself. It DOES make sense to purchase an entire bottle

There's about 27 1.5 ounce shots in each 1 liter bottle. If your rum drinks cost $5 each that totals out at $135 or so...

Bring your own Coke and then it's not too bad when viewed in that light...

:)

27 x 1.5 = 40.5 ounces. Last time I checked, there were only 33 ounces in a liter.

I ordered Bon Voyage last month for the first time and I think it was a good way to g for uso. Yes, the bottle of Bailey's (or reasonable facsimile of Bailey's) was twice what I'd pay at home, but much, much less than what I'd pay having after dinner drinks every night (2 drinks per night at $8 each = $112 versus $40). I contemplated smuggling, but because we fly in, it was just too much of a pain. I'll do Bon Voyage every time. The bottle lasted the week perfectly.

Do you recall what it was? I would love a couple bottles of Bailey's but figured they wouldn't have it

Archived