Celebrity Serious About It's Nonsmoking Policy

Pilot70D

We just returned from the two week December 4th cruise on the Connie. Let me tell you, Celebrity IS serious about their nonsmoking on balconies policy.

We were in a SkySuite for this trip. Two cabins down from us was a group which felt that the nonsmoking policy just didn't apply to them. When we pulled into our first port one of them was smoking on their balcony. That didn't particularly bother me because they were downwind. However, when they through their butts overboard that was too much.

I called guest relations. Guest relations then sent the area supervisor to their suite. They stopped smoking and were warned verbally and in writing that another occurrence would carry a $250 fine. Next morning they were out on the balcony and smoking again. The smoker ducked back out of sight when they saw me. Too late. Called Guest Relations again. Area Supervisor was again dispatched to their cabin.

Our butler later confirmed with me that they were fined the $250. Furthermore, I got a call from Guest Relations every day for the next five or six days asking if there had been any more smoking incidents.

KUDOS to Celebrity for having the backbone to step in and handle this smoking situation. I applaud Celebrity's actions.

:):)

We just returned from the two week December 4th cruise on the Connie. Let me tell you, Celebrity IS serious about their nonsmoking on balconies policy.

We were in a SkySuite for this trip. Two cabins down from us was a group which felt that the nonsmoking policy just didn't apply to them. When we pulled into our first port one of them was smoking on their balcony. That didn't particularly bother me because they were downwind. However, when they through their butts overboard that was too much.

I called guest relations. Guest relations then sent the area supervisor to their suite. They stopped smoking and were warned verbally and in writing that another occurrence would carry a $250 fine. Next morning they were out on the balcony and smoking again. The smoker ducked back out of sight when they saw me. Too late. Called Guest Relations again. Area Supervisor was again dispatched to their cabin.

Our butler later confirmed with me that they were fined the $250. Furthermore, I got a call from Guest Relations every day for the next five or six days asking if there had been any more smoking incidents.

KUDOS to Celebrity for having the backbone to step in and handle this smoking situation. I applaud Celebrity's actions.

Wow! Good for you! I hope this policy transfers to every fleet!:)

many folks would have just 'let it go' and not "get involved".

those who wouldn't have reported them....think about it....fires on board in cabins and on balconeys are caused mostly by smokers and others not following the rules.

Even if you LOVE the smell of smoke....you need to report people who flaunt safety measures.

again Kudos to you...and to X....a non smoking/no cigar/no pipe cruise next

;)

Really....you tattled......:confused:

I would hope that everyone does. Many cruisers have chosen Celebrity because of the stringent non-smoking policy. I would dislike having to call, but would because I vehemently dislike the smell of cigarette, cigar or pipe smoke, and when I have chosen to sail on a non-smoking ship ( except, of course, for the designated areas for smoking), I expect it to be non-smoking! Those who booked knew the policy, and there are areas available for smoking. The balconies are NOT one of those areas. I am pleased that Celebrity is enforcing this policy so well.

Really....you tattled......:confused:

Thank goodness they did. Beyond the rule breaking and disregard for others, the OP mentioned that they threw their butts overboard. That alone is more than enough reason to 'tattle'. They were literally putting other passengers at risk of a fire onboard with such stupidity.

Great to hear that Celebrity is enforcing the no smoking policy. We just got off the Radiance and were docked next to the Century in Cozumel. While walking on deck, we noticed a woman on the Celebrity ship light up a cigarette on her balcony. I wanted to shout over to one of the crew workers but decided against it since I was not a passenger on the ship. Can't wait to go on the Solstice in January and not have to deal with smokers. We loved the Radiance but wish RCL would ban smoking.:cool:

Great to hear that Celebrity is enforcing the no smoking policy. We just got off the Radiance and were docked next to the Century in Cozumel. While walking on deck, we noticed a woman on the Celebrity ship light up a cigarette on her balcony. I wanted to shout over to one of the crew workers but decided against it since I was not a passenger on the ship. Can't wait to go on the Solstice in January and not have to deal with smokers. We loved the Radiance but wish RCL would ban smoking.:cool:

There will always be those that believe they are part of the few, the proud, the priveleged to whom the rules simply don't apply.

Yes, I called guest relations twice and would do so again in a heartbeat. It's only when we're willing to get involved that the undesirable behavior will end. If someone sees a smoker and that smoker gets away with smoking on a balcony then that person witnessing the smoking will be tempted to smoke on a balcony as well if he or she is a smoker.

There is another consideration though. Fish. turtles and sea birds frequently eat those cigarette filters thrown overboard. These marine animals often do choke to death on the filter or sometimes die of starvation if the filter gets lodged half way down and they can't get rid of it. We can defend ourselves. The creatures of the sea cannot.

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm so happy to hear this. Maybe people are unaware of the smoking policies when they book but the rules are spelled out once onboard. X is a line that many - including me - choose because of this policy. I have seen, though, where the policy was NOT enforced. That was several months ago (Jan) so maybe they're tightening up after hearing the complaints of the rest of us.

Wow, I'm surprised!!! We just returned from a b2b on the Century in an S1 cabin and people were smoking on the balconies on both sides of us for 10 days. There were ash trays always out on the balcony tables so I just assumed I was wrong about X's smoking policy of no balcony butts.

I guess unless one "squeals" people will ignore the policy and room attendents will do the same.

Wow, I'm surprised!!! We just returned from a b2b on the Century in an S1 cabin and people were smoking on the balconies on both sides of us for 10 days. There were ash trays always out on the balcony tables so I just assumed I was wrong about X's smoking policy of no balcony butts.

I guess unless one "squeals" people will ignore the policy and room attendents will do the same.

I can't imagine how you would not know the policy. As we embarked Equinox this month, we were given a sheet at the check in desk which described the smoking policy. Even those who don't bother to research their cruises have no excuse once their are onboard.

:)We had the same experience on a recent cruise. Cigarette smoke came into our room late at night. The next morning I went to Guest Relations to report it. She asked if I had reported it when it happened. I said no because it was so late. She told me to report smoking any time as they are a 24 hour operation. Later that day they were smoking, I reported it, they were warned. The next time it would have been a $250 fine. We would have had to put up with this the entire week if I had not reported it. Also received a couple of followup calls.

I am a smoker, and, I agree with you folks. Besides them being inconsiderate, it is dangerous. It's not a big deal to simply go to the designated smoking area to light up.

One thing, if X is putting ashtrays on balconies (as posted above) then they are encouraging smokers to smoke on them no matter what their policy.

I can't imagine how you would not know the policy. As we embarked Equinox this month, we were given a sheet at the check in desk which described the smoking policy. Even those who don't bother to research their cruises have no excuse once their are onboard.

It's on the room key too.

2747009280054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

I reported smoking on my last cruise and it was dealt with very efficiently and Guest Relations checked back with me.

Phil

Awesome! Hopefully that will mean my Connie cruise will be smoke free!

I, too, am thrilled to hear this report of Celebrity enforcing their smoking policy!! Hearty kudos to the cruise line!!!

And you can definitely add my partner & I to the list of those who wouldn't hesitate a heartbeat to tattle on a balcony smoker.

How quickly people forget or choose to ignore the EXTREME danger of tossing cigarette butts or cigar butts overboard! Just recall the hundreds of passengers and scores of staterooms and their veranda that were impacted by the devastating fire on the Princess vessel several years ago.

Tattle folks, and do so for your own safety and that of your fellow passengers!!!

CM

I believe you did the RIGHT thing and glad that Celebrity enforced the rules!!!!

Those ash trays weren't placed in the cabins by Celebrity. Either the guests in that adjacent cabin brought the ash trays with them from home or equally likely they "borrowed" them from one of the smoking areas.

Room attendants/butlers are in a VERY precarious position when someone is smoking in one of the cabins for which they are responsible. Cabin attendants & butlers live and die by the ratings given them on comment cards. Imagine what rating they would get if they did report a guest for smoking and the guest found out who turned them in.

If we witness or smell someone smoking in a cabin or on a balcony then we need to do our own dirty work and report the smoker rather than relying on the cabin staff to do so. In my case it was obvious to the smokers as to who turned them in. This removes all blame from the cabin staff.

;););)

Archived