1st HAL cruise..HAVE QUESTIONS....

monakayk

I saved all my newsletters, so I can answer some specifics.

The formal nights are on Day 2 (Sunday) and Day 6 (Thursday)

Kathy,

:confused: Can you tell us when the Pool/Deck party is on the Oosterdam..what night (port of call). How was the main band...did they play great dance music? What was your fav show in the theater? Suggestions on entertainment that is a DO NOT MISS?

:confused: Also, what ports will we have to tender too on Mex.Riv. cruise? Or will be just be able to walk off the ship at each port?

I will be on the same cruise and this is my first time on HAL.

We have booked a GTD cabin and we have not got a cabin number yet. I have called HAL today and they tld me cabin numbers will be given 0 to 7 days before cruise or sometimes at the port. I have sailed on most cruise lines and never experinced this before. Most cases we get our cabin number 3 to 4 weeks before he sailing.

Does anyone know why HAL does it this way? Just wondering. Thanks.

I will be on the same cruise and this is my first time on HAL.

We have booked a GTD cabin and we have not got a cabin number yet. I have called HAL today and they tld me cabin numbers will be given 0 to 7 days before cruise or sometimes at the port. I have sailed on most cruise lines and never experinced this before. Most cases we get our cabin number 3 to 4 weeks before he sailing.

Does anyone know why HAL does it this way? Just wondering. Thanks.

Not sure why, but from what I hear, the longer you have to wait for an assignment, the better your chances are for a nice upgrade. Also, sometimes you are given a room assignment and it is changed again, sometimes at the pier. :D I have also booked a GTY cabin but our cruise is not until May. I am hoping for an ocean view, probably won't happen, but I can hope. :rolleyes: I booked the cheapest MM because my son views his room as only a place to sleep and absolutely did not care.

Diane

hmmm lets see, just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. Not only are we suffering from the cold 20degrees here but the lack of good food! ha

Don't have the menu's but Escargot was offered Thurs eve( formal)

Prime rib was offered first night. ( Sat)

Lobster tail was also on Thur formal night. Table next to us had 3 lobsters on their plate.

They had asked for them when ordering.

We only asked for one since we also had steak with ours.

Husband says to be sure and get the "chops" (pork) on he thinks Weds night. They were to die for.

A some items are offered every night( as a backup) Caesar Salad, french onion soup, New York strip,baked potato etc.

Eggs Benedict (5 different ways) was offered in the main dining room and up on Lido each morning. Excellent!!

Chocolate desserts in dining room were also very good. We all started asking for a scoop of ice cream with them by the end of the cruise. Just a nice touch.

Beside the food, I LOVED taking the ( free) 55min. digital photography/computer classes. About 5 different classes offered each day. They even have a class to teach you HOW to use that camera you don't know how to use!!

Enjoy,

Susan from Indiana with snow!

Thanks EVERYONE for posting links/copy & pasting to those menus!

BUCKETT,

Since you have sailed on the Oosterdam.....can you tell me (by reviewing) the menus on the links below(which were posted) that are more similar to what you had in the MDR on the Oosterda on your Mex. Riv. cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1299916&highlight

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1299912&highlight

Both of those menus look great, but just wanted to know which was more similar since we will be going on the Mex. Riv. Did they serve Escargot on the Oosterdam? Also can you tell me which night (port of call) was the Mex.Deck-Pool Party? What type of food (if any) is served or is it just dancing and having fun?

What was the entertainment? Any dance/musical shows? What did you think were the best shows? What nights were the formal nights?

Thanks again to all for this info.

There have been escargots on every HAL cruise we have been on - including the Ooesterdam :)

Kathy,

:confused: Can you tell us when the Pool/Deck party is on the Oosterdam..what night (port of call). How was the main band...did they play great dance music? What was your fav show in the theater? Suggestions on entertainment that is a DO NOT MISS?

The pool party on the Lido deck was 9pm Day 4 - Mazatlan.

Sorry, can't comment on the music. It's not my type of thing.

My favourite act was the comedian - Kevin Jordan.

:confused: Also, what ports will we have to tender too on Mex.Riv. cruise? Or will be just be able to walk off the ship at each port?

YOu only tender at Cabo San Lucas. Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta you can walk on/off as much as you like. In PV, there is cheap internet in the white tent on the port grounds.

I also saved all of the menus. We were in a deluxe suite, so each day they delivered the current dining room menus. We ended up eating the first formal evening meal in our room, because we did not get our formal clothes back in time from pressing (even though we gave them to our steward as soon as we got our luggage). We didn't mind though, it was really nice to have a relaxed meal. We did have the "Land & Sea" which was filet mignon and jumbo prawns. I have heard some other people not liking it (or the lobster), but for us, it was really really good!!!

There's no charge to borrow a DVD; you can take up to two at a time. There will be a catalog of available titles in your cabin. There's a large selection ranging from relatively new releases to very old classics to choose from.

When you make your selections, just call the Front Desk and they will be delivered. When finished, call again for pick up. You can also pick up and return them to the Front Desk yourself.

Is this for everyone or only suite passengers?

getting the dvds is awesome! I was very surprised at the massive listing, they had everything! We did find that it was kinda slow (if we missed the person who was delivering them), so we found it was quicker just to pop to the front desk to get a dvd. Never knew until after we could have done from the Neptune lounge. But each time we went to the front desk, it wasn't busy at all, and took no time.

Perspnally I would like to see them offer Beef Wellington on one of the formal nights along with oxtail soup. My mom used to make oxtail soup when I was a boy. She served it with boilded ox tails. I recall when she and my dad were senior citizens and they would go to a weekly senior citizen luncheon in the old neighborhood. One day they told me the menu the next week would be "Swinging Steak." When I inquired as to what "swinging Steaks were I was told they were oxtails!

Archived