Buying stock in princess

gullcruiser

On 8/5/2016 at 8:04 AM, Cruise Junky said:

No, just be aware that right now you're paying a 31% premium for the stock because of the exchange rate.

Saying that, the obc is in American dollars...

I wish I’d bought at the bottom, but earlier posts here referencing prices in the $40-60 range are a red flag for anyone who thinks travel industry investments are relatively safe. Closed at $10.37 yesterday. I’m in at 10.92 and not a share over the 100 necessary to obtain OBC. 

Edited by BamaVol

On 5/12/2023 at 7:26 AM, BamaVol said:

I wish I’d bought at the bottom, but earlier posts here referencing prices in the $40-60 range are a red flag for anyone who thinks travel industry investments are relatively safe. Closed at $10.37 yesterday. I’m in at 10.92 and not a share over the 100 necessary to obtain OBC. 

CCL was near $50 when Covid hit and the cruise lines were forced to shut down operations. Of 22 analysts covering CCL, 19 have it at "Hold" or better.

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

CCL was near $50 when Covid hit and the cruise lines were forced to shut down operations. Of 22 analysts covering CCL, 19 have it at "Hold" or better.

Well, sure. I paid 10.92 a share. I expect to extract that value in OBC. Then I can dump it at any price and be ahead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I bought in 2010.  Got more in OBC than I paid.

Someday soon they will cut out the shareholder credit with people buying it so cheap.

I don’t think it would be a direct result of the low price.  But the low price reflects Wall Street’s pessimism about CCL’s future.  And if that view is correct, they could end up being liquidated or purchased - most likely sell off lines or ships.  CCL stock won’t me any good if they sell Princess to MSC, for example.

So, my advice would be to cruise as much as you can, as soon as you can.

Edited by BamaVol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ldtr
On 5/19/2023 at 1:55 PM, scottca075 said:

Considering the increase in the number of CCL shares (dilution) during Covid, combined with the debt load, the current price of CCL stock is pretty fairly valued assuming a return to pre-Covid revenue numbers.  To get back anywhere close to the pro-Covid numbers they will need to retire most of the debt, and buy back the extra shares sold during the shutdown, or increase revenue to a multiple of the 2019 numbers (not likely in the near term).

On 5/30/2023 at 8:44 PM, ldtr said:

Considering the increase in the number of CCL shares (dilution) during Covid, combined with the debt load, the current price of CCL stock is pretty fairly valued assuming a return to pre-Covid revenue numbers.  To get back anywhere close to the pro-Covid numbers they will need to retire most of the debt, and buy back the extra shares sold during the shutdown, or increase revenue to a multiple of the 2019 numbers (not likely in the near term).

Meanwhile, I wouldn’t be buying more than the 100 shares necessary to get OBC. 

I invested $1000.  I got $100 from fidelity for funding the grand.  

I bought 100 shares at $8.2X.  Extra $100 hit my account 90 days later.  Stock fell to $6.XX and I went all in with the rest of the balance and got another 30.x shares. 

My stock is worth $1550.xx today.  And I've gotten thousands of dollars as onboard credit for my $1000 investment and will get thousands more as I cruise for the rest of my life.  

• Like 2

CCL stock is doing good.  I sold it when the shares went down around the pandemic start time.  I bought it again in November 2022 because I was going on a cruise in April 2023.  The price was $9.65.

I'm at 800 shares with an average price of $9.33.  The gain is 27%; the gain is higher when you consider the $50 OBC I received for my cruise last April and $250 to be received in January.

3 hours ago, damiross said:

CCL stock is doing good.  I sold it when the shares went down around the pandemic start time.  I bought it again in November 2022 because I was going on a cruise in April 2023.  The price was $9.65.

I'm at 800 shares with an average price of $9.33.  The gain is 27%; the gain is higher when you consider the $50 OBC I received for my cruise last April and $250 to be received in January.

I get the same OBC with my $1,100 investment as you get with your $7,500 investment. Sell 700 share while it still has value.  Or do you expect it to increase in value? I can’t understand why.

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

I get the same OBC with my $1,100 investment as you get with your $7,500 investment. Sell 700 share while it still has value.  Or do you expect it to increase in value? I can’t understand why.

I see the shares going up, at least for the next year or so, due to the big demand for cruising. 

My stock is in my traditional IRA. I like to see my securities producing dividends.  I have two securities that do not have dividends - CCL and AMZ.  Unlike AMZ, I  feel CCL will start producing dividends within a year or two.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:24 PM, kywildcatfanone said:

I bought in 2010.  Got more in OBC than I paid.

Someday soon they will cut out the shareholder credit with people buying it so cheap.

Seems unlikely, it costs CCL exactly the same regardless of the share price, so although it seems very beneficial for shareholders at the current price, the loss of goodwill if CCL reduced the benefit, is likely to far outweigh any savings they would make.

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

With all the cuts to elite benefits over the last year, I don't see goodwill as something they care about.

I think it is still something that might attract new cruisers which is something Princess is focused on and needs to focus on.

Guest ldtr
12 hours ago, damiross said:

I see the shares going up, at least for the next year or so, due to the big demand for cruising. 

My stock is in my traditional IRA. I like to see my securities producing dividends.  I have two securities that do not have dividends - CCL and AMZ.  Unlike AMZ, I  feel CCL will start producing dividends within a year or two.

Doubt you will see a dividend from CCL for several years. Their debt load and projected revenue simply does not support it. Even once they get the debt down they will be behind the curve on capital investments and will have better things to do with their cash than dividends.  

The price already has demand priced in amd as with most stocks based upon what the fundamentals are projected to be about 12 months out. The price likely will go up, but it will be a pretty slow climb.  That assumes that nothing happens to impactcurrent demand expectations.

Edited by ldtr

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

With all the cuts to elite benefits over the last year, I don't see goodwill as something they care about.

"all the cuts to elite benefits over the past year"

What exactly was cut in the past year?

Let's see you have the Internet minutes replaced by the discount to unlimited. But that was years ago and the10% discount on excursions was added at that time.

Or how about the loss of ability to trade the minibar for coffee cards. In that case the entire coffee card program went away. However the Elite Benefit of receiving the minibar is still intact.

Oh I found one. On some ships they are nolonger giving out the little bag of toiletries.

Yep I guess that makes for the all of the cuts comment.

Edited by ldtr

Your job from now on is to day trade CCL to pay for your cruises, but hold 100 shares for OBC purposes.

The Corporation took in WAAAAYYYY too many "investments" during the pandemic to have the stock price make a huge run. But 10,000 shares sold with a 50 cent profit per share is a win.

Yes, some of those cutbacks go back more than a year.  They are still cutbacks, so not sure why you felt the need to comment on my post.  Cutback are cutbacks, where they occurred 13 months ago, or last month.  

Edit:  If you are happy with the cutbacks, the increase in costs of packages and so forth, good for you I guess. 

Edited by kywildcatfanone

37 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

attract new cruisers which is something Princess is focused on

Seems to be their only focus.  But from a business sense, it does work.  Get rid of loyal customers, who at least had some benefits to their loyalty left, although not many. Bring in new customers, who don't have the history, and make many items more expensive, and add packages to give the perception of a "deal".  Marketing works. 

Celebrity had a Memorial Day promo on existing bookings.  50% off drink packages.  What they didn't tell you was they raised the drink packages 50% to discount it 50%.  Lessons learned from Kohls.  If it works, it works, and it must work or they wouldn't do such things.