Buying stock in princess

gullcruiser

We bought CCL about 3 years ago when it was $28.00 US a share. It's now $46.00 a share. In that time we have received about $1300.00 in OBC, and we have 2 more cruises booked that will get us $250.00 more for each. Plus the stock has payed a small dividend each quarter. Not bad we think. I wish we had that kind of return on all our investments.

And buying it three years ago you've also benefitted from the exchange :)

Not sure how you manage your funds, but between the actual CCL dividend and assuming at least one 7-10 day cruise a year that includes the shareholder benefit ($100), you will see a return of about 5%/yr. More or longer cruises means a higher %. No bank has anything near that at the present.

And you do not pay taxes on the shareholder credit.

It's a nice perk and also a smart loyalty program. A CCL itinerary is usually #1 in the list of trips we consider.

That is how I approach the purchasing of CCL stock with my "cruising friends". I think we have been able to get at least 5 families to buy the stock which is good for the rest of us.

It is a good thing to be a stockholder and stakeholder in companies that make a product or a service that we use on a consistent basis.

It's a perk that could change at any time and become uncombinable like RCL.

Your caution is valuable. However for many that discuss this on CC, owning CCL is more of a hobby than an effort to have a 'blue chip' experience.

CCL will likely never change the shareholder benefit. It is an intensely shrewd benefit. Thousands of shareholders (like me) opt for CCL itineraries as their first choice. This benefit is not a small part of their decision.

If Carnival were to discontinue the benefit, it would be like you or I chopping off a finger or two. We would still have a hand, but it wouldn't work as well.

Edited by thinfool

Also if you own 100 shares of stock and book separate cabins you each get the on board credit.:) My husband and father-in-law book a cabin and I and my mother-in-law book a cabin and then switch rooms when we get on ship.

Don't both people need to own 100 shares? :confused:

Don't both people need to own 100 shares? :confused:

Sort of. As long as it is a joint account, you only need 100 total shares. You just need to submit separate requests for each cabin and since both names are on the statement, the same copy can be used as proof of ownership on both submissions. But this only works if you are in separate cabins under separate booking numbers. In the same cabin, you will only get one credit, even if both people own 100 shares each.

In the world of getting the most benefits without meeting the spirit of the rule. You don't need to own any shares. Just type a brokerage company sounding name at the top of a piece of paper, then type your name, CCL, 100 shares. Then email it in and hope for the best.

Stocks Stock Stocks, Inc

444 Rip-off Lane

Brooklyn NY 11216

Name...................... Stock........................ Shares you own

Iownthese Share............... CCL................. 100ish

Edited by neverbeenhere

In the world of getting the most benefits without meeting the spirit of the rule. You don't need to own any shares. Just type a brokerage company sounding name at the top of a piece of paper, then type your name, CCL, 100 shares. Then email it in and hope for the best.

Stocks Stock Stocks, Inc

444 Rip-off Lane

Brooklyn NY 11216

Name...................... Stock........................ Shares you own

Iownthese Share............... CCL................. 100ish

You wouldn't be my brother-in-law by a different Mother by any chance?? :rolleyes:

Edited by ar1950

Sort of. As long as it is a joint account, you only need 100 total shares. You just need to submit separate requests for each cabin and since both names are on the statement, the same copy can be used as proof of ownership on both submissions. But this only works if you are in separate cabins under separate booking numbers. In the same cabin, you will only get one credit, even if both people own 100 shares each.

Interesting! Never knew that. Thanks.

The restrictions clearly state "This offer is only good for one cabin occupied by the shareholder."

Granted they are not going to do a bed check, but it would be in violation of the benefit once you changed cabins onboard.

So, you are telling me that if I own 100 shares in a joint account with my brother-in-law. We both can use the ownership of the same 100 shares on the same cruise to receive the Onboard Credit. This doesn't seem right. Integrity is a funny thing.

Yes. I'm telling you exactly that.

However, if you own 100 shares in one account and your brother-in-law owns 100 shares in a separate account and you decide to take a cruise together sharing a cabin, only one credit will apply since the restrictions state one credit per cabin. So, even though both occupants have separately met the eligibility requirements, Princess only sees fit to grant a total of one credit for the cabin.

So, I agree. Integrity is a funny thing. And, it goes both ways.

I won't be drawn into any further debate about the ethics of following the rules that Princess has established and maximizing the amount of OBC available. The system has worked this way for many years and I'm sure if Princess was concerned about this practice, they could easily put an end to it.

Rob (Sandy's DH)

Yes. I'm telling you exactly that.

However, if you own 100 shares in one account and your brother-in-law owns 100 shares in a separate account and you decide to take a cruise together sharing a cabin, only one credit will apply since the restrictions state one credit per cabin. So, even though both occupants have separately met the eligibility requirements, Princess only sees fit to grant a total of one credit for the cabin.

So, I agree. Integrity is a funny thing. And, it goes both ways.

I won't be drawn into any further debate about the ethics of following the rules that Princess has established and maximizing the amount of OBC available. The system has worked this way for many years and I'm sure if Princess was concerned about this practice, they could easily put an end to it.

Rob (Sandy's DH)

Strange how some CC posters are preaching ethics to you for taking advantage of a glitch in the system while another poster suggests committing total fraud by faking the certificate of ownership, and nobody said a thing about that.

What is one person's "no brainer" is not another person's "no brainer". I don't understand why people challenge that. For some people $4600 is a drop in the bucket. I bought it years ago when the market bottomed out it. It was a small investment and the OBC was a good reason to buy so I did. Didn't take much thought to make that decision. Payoff has been great.

As far as the person having a joint account, I don't see where that is a big deal. Kind of interesting in fact. One could open an account and put multiple family names on it. I have some investments like that with my adult children on it.

For the comedian - I'm not so sure how much they check for validity of the investment form and if the person is truly a stock holder. I'm not saying try it, but I question if it would work.

We bought CCL about 3 years ago when it was $28.00 US a share. It's now $46.00 a share. In that time we have received about $1300.00 in OBC, and we have 2 more cruises booked that will get us $250.00 more for each. Plus the stock has payed a small dividend each quarter. Not bad we think. I wish we had that kind of return on all our investments.

I wish that too on mine!:)

isn't that what I said? depends on what you buy it at and how often you can cruise to take advantage of the benefit. Going out to spend $4,600 to get $100 OBC should have some thought behind it.

Exactly right. You sound like an excellent advisor.

For us, the investment is a very small part of our IRA portfolio, has decent earnings, and we cruise often enough and long enough that it's like printing money. The stock I rolled out of to buy CCL was under performing anyway so that's just icing.