Formal night attire

dutrie

Cunard does have a class system, but the published dress code is the same for all classes. The other luxury lines also enforce a dress code. While Regent has moved to an elegant casual code, they enforce their definition of that. So my point is if they have a code, enforce it. If they don't want to enforce it, don't call it a code. I don't really want to pack a jacket and tie for formal night if it's just a suggestion and 30% of the people show up in jeans and a T-shirt.

As lenient as Princess has become the least you'll see on formal evenings are dress shirts with dress pants (no tie or jacket) with the jeans & T shirts reserved for casual evenings.

Formal Nite is not what it used to be back in the day of cruising. I've seen some pretty ridiculous "formal wear" that looked like it was family night at Pizza Hut. While some will still dress like they are on a Formal Night Cruise there are those who think dressing up means they put on flip flops and a tank top with a tie on.:confused:

I recently returned from a seven day W. Caribbean cruise. If anyone dressed "down", I never saw it.

Everyone in the MDR dressed quite spiffily on formal nights. Men in suits or jacket w/tie, even a few tuxes.

Never saw any shorts, etc, in the MDR then or any other night.

Mind you, I had late (8:15) TD. The mileage for early and/or AT may have varied.

We noticed that we saw far more men in tuxes on our recent Emerald cruises than we did on the same cruises on the Ruby last January. Don't know if it's a trend or just a passenger demographic thing, but DH felt quite comfortable in his tux, whereas last January he felt he stood out a bit.

Absolutely. I was on the same Emerald cruise and with the exception of Cunard the evening dresses were the best I have seen on any cruise line...very elegant.

If I didn't want to dress formally I would do the buffet or room service

If I didn't want to dress formally I would do the buffet or room service

Don't forget; formal nights do not apply to the specialty dining venues, i.e. Crown Grille, Sabbatini's, etc. Of course you can still dress up if you choose to, as we often do.

As lenient as Princess has become the least you'll see on formal evenings are dress shirts with dress pants (no tie or jacket) with the jeans & T shirts reserved for casual evenings.

I call dress shirts and dress pants elegant casual, not formal. I actually prefer this kind of dress, but just wish the cruise lines enforced whatever it is they call a dress code so we all knew what to expect.

I call dress shirts and dress pants elegant casual, not formal. I actually prefer this kind of dress, but just wish the cruise lines enforced whatever it is they call a dress code so we all knew what to expect.

Another casual term:

Elegant, Smart, Business, Country Club, etc. LOL

Your are correct but Princess has been overlooking the matter for some time now & letting people dress down somewhat. Just how much will be tolerated is yet to be seen but at this point the jacket & tie for the guys seem to have been overlooked. It might have really escalated ever since the extra charges have started by the airlines.

Princess is a mass market cruise line. They are not willing to confront their pax who are in the mainstream. With the US becoming more informal (casual Fridays at work, etc) any hopes that they will enforce a strict formal dress code is wishful thinking. At this point all they are trying to do is keep it from getting too far out of hand. There will always be the fringe on both sides and Princess tries to at least keep minimal standards (no swimsuits, etc). Carnival has already relaxed the standards and has switched formal to elegant night. How long before Princess will have to follow suit?

Your are correct but Princess has been overlooking the matter for some time now & letting people dress down somewhat. Just how much will be tolerated is yet to be seen but at this point the jacket & tie for the guys seem to have been overlooked. It might have really escalated ever since the extra charges have started by the airlines.

I can understand Princess being lax since the airlines made it difficult to bring extra luggage. However, why don't they just do what Regent has done and say that every day is elegant casual, define what that is, and then enforce it. I think that most people just want to know what the dress code is so they can respect it and have the cruise line enforce it. After all, a code is a requirement -- just like a fire or building code -- and not a suggestion.

I see from postings in this Thread that people are saying Princess should have an Elegant Casual. OK, so what should Princess define as Elegant Casual?

I'm not sure about all Elegant Casual but they should at least designate one of the DR's as casual & one truly formal & let the people decide for themselves which one they prefer.

I'm not sure about all Elegant Casual but they should at least designate one of the DR's as casual & one truly formal & let the people decide for themselves which one they prefer.

No, I meant other than Formal. What is Elegant Casual definition?

No, I meant other than Formal. What is Elegant Casual definition?

From the Cruise Critic article on Dress Codes, here's what is listed for Regent Seven Seas, which commodoredave originally cited when mentioning Elegant Casual:

The Code: The dress code is almost always elegant casual after 6 p.m. Skirts or slacks paired with blouses or sweaters, pant suits or dresses are acceptable for ladies, while men should wear slacks and collared shirts. Sport jackets are optional. On formal optional nights, passengers can either wear elegant casual attire or opt for a more formal look (gowns, cocktail dresses, dark suits or tuxedos).

Where would we be without a dress code thread?

People do look presentable on formal nights from my experience but it is not the black tie event it once was, with tuxes, kilts and the like.

Can I blame people? Years ago I traveled with two suitcases. Now, most of my belongings are on my carryon, just in case my suitcase doesn't make it.

Most people look great and do their best, but with the changes in air travel it is unlikely that there will be as much space dedicated to the tux and gown.

The dress code is not very restrictive and most people exceed it on formal nights. We will all notice the fellow in jeans and a tee shirt but it is a very small percentage of the total on board.

Where would we be without a dress code thread?

People do look presentable on formal nights from my experience but it is not the black tie event it once was, with tuxes, kilts and the like.

Can I blame people? Years ago I traveled with two suitcases. Now, most of my belongings are on my carryon, just in case my suitcase doesn't make it.

Most people look great and do their best, but with the changes in air travel it is unlikely that there will be as much space dedicated to the tux and gown.

The dress code is not very restrictive and most people exceed it on formal nights. We will all notice the fellow in jeans and a tee shirt but it is a very small percentage of the total on board.

Almost all people (especially the women) could easily live within a Elegant Casual dress code without any effort but when did you see the jeans & T shirts on a formal evening in the DR? Princess being as lenient as they are still doesn't accept T shirts on a formal night in the DR.

We should keep in mind the Head Waiters and Maitre d's, not the cruise line, are the enforcers of the dress rules.

Some get tired of false retaliatory accusations in customer evaluation and comment cards from passengers who've been denied access on formal night.

In the end, it's less damaging to their evaluation reports to let them in.

Formal nights are formal shipwide not just in the MDR which is why you will still see people in jeans, etc. It's not like the staff is going to confine them to their cabins!

I don't believe I said a thing about the DR in my post. Sorry if you felt I was being misleading.

And yes, it is pretty easy for women to do the Formal look without resorting to volumes of clothing but of course most women don't mind dressing up!

We should keep in mind the Head Waiters and Maitre d's, not the cruise line, are the enforcers of the dress rules.

Some get tired of false retaliatory accusations in customer evaluation and comment cards from passengers who've been denied access on formal night.

In the end, it's less damaging to their evaluation reports to let them in.

You're 100% right about that & if a Head Waiter has any hopes of advancement they'd do much better keeping their head down & not cause unnecessary confrontations which only lead to erroneously written letters of complaints. When it comes time for their reviews from headquarters the Head Waiters with numerous derogatory letters are much likely to be considered no matter how untruthful they may be.

Formal nights are formal shipwide not just in the MDR which is why you will still see people in jeans, etc. It's not like the staff is going to confine them to their cabins!

I don't believe I said a thing about the DR in my post. Sorry if you felt I was being misleading.

And yes, it is pretty easy for women to do the Formal look without resorting to volumes of clothing but of course most women don't mind dressing up!

I believe you meant formal nights are NOT formal shipwide. The DR is the only place on any Princess ships in the last 15 years where the formal attire was suggested. Years ago it was thorough out the whole ship but that changed quite a while back with the introduction of the 24 hour buffet.

My DD and I will be dressing to the nines - not much chance to dress up here in the UP of Michigan! The men are renting tuxes thru the cruiseline, so much easier to have it in the stateroom when we get there than to haul the darned suits in luggage! Esp with the prices of

overloaded luggage . Formal night gives us a chance to have a truly nice picture taken with each other.

Archived