Best Cruise Surprises

rafinmd

Just out of curiosity, have there been things that happened on a cruise that were totally unexpected and had no influence on your selection of the voyage but became cherished memories. My only experience with HAL to date has been 2 Alaska cruises and there was nothing particularly unexpected there so I don't have anything from HAL to contribute yet, although I hope to after my Arctic Explorer on the Prinsendam.

I'll start things off with a couple from other cruise lines. One memory from my QV world cruise segment with a call at Mumbai.:

The Kanheri Buddhist Caves date back from about 100BC through 1100AD, and there are over 100 caves in the complex. They are not true caves, although some probably started out as such and were enlarged to many times their original size. Most are fairly simple structures that served as dwellings for monks, but the first ones we encountered were massive temples with a huge Buddha inside and many elaborate carvings. They are set on a hill at elevations ranging from 385 to 675 feet, and there is a sort of "trail" running from one cave to the next, but the attraction is the cave/excavations rather than the trail. The site reminded me a lot of Petra on a smaller scale. It is not a WOW! like Petra, but I thought it was a legitimate Wow. I thought it was by far the best excursion of the voyage.

Roy

Also, on a Crystal Crossing we went through Prince Christian Sound off the coast of Greenland. Up to about a day before the passage I had never even heard of Prince Christian sound but what a beautiful sight. I know HAL has also done this passage a number of times.

On second thought, I may have a couple of nominations from HAL:

In 2002 I booked a land trip with a Canadian company from Inuvik NWT to Skagway on the Dempster Highway and continuing to Vancouver on the Zaandam. I was just leaving the Opera House in Dawson City when I noticed some tourists ahead of me were wearing some very familiar looking t-shirts. I called to them and when they turned around it was my County Executive and DW and the Chief of a Neighboring Volunteer Fire Department and DW. Both of the wives were involved in my local fire service and the 4 were also headed for the Zandaam. We talked several more times on board.

This hasn't happened yet but I think it could still qualify. When I booked the Prinsendam I was eagerly awaiting the voyage but dreading the overnight flight to get to it. Then, a few weeks later I found out (through this forum) that the Rotterdam had a crossing that would get me across the Atlantic a convenient 4 days before my cruise. What a nice surprise.

Any others?

Roy

Well this wasn't on Hal and it wasn't an excursion..but it was an over the top cruise for me. I went to Alaska on Infinity (Celebrity) with my mom and 2 sisters. We had so much fun planning and anticipating the cruise. Then one of my sisters was told she couldn't go because she would need emergency surgery, 3 days before we were to go. My other sister got busy and found another doctor to get a second opinion, which said she could go, take the pain pills and stay away from the rails!. Then she would have to have surgery as soon as we got back. My sister was fine the whole cruise and had the surgery as soon as we got back. Had the time of our lives! Giggled and laughed and giggled...it was great! :)Then 2 months after we got home my mom had a stroke...changed life for all of us and not likely we will get a chance to do that again. So glad it worked out for the 4 of us to go. Best vacation of my life!

My most cherished memory is someone I met as a tablemate on a 2002 cruise. We are nearly exact opposites of each other, yet in our differences we find so much in common. Older/Younger - Silly/Serious - Republican/Democrat - Christian/Jewish - and so much more. We hit it off instantly and have been like sisters since the day we met.

The Danish pastries on Bornholm Island on a Rotterdam Northern Strongholds cruise, and Bornholm Island itself and the fact the ship had to back out of the very narrow and long harbor.

DH and I had memories of danish pastries from decades ago early European travel days when there was nothing even remotely equivalent available in the US in those days. Would they be just as good or did we have exaggerated memories -- well, the ones we had in Bornholm were beyond good, they were celestial.

Unfortunately, the ones in Copenhagen on that same trip a few days later, at the Queens "official" bakery did not come close, good but nothing as fresh, light, flaky, buttery and rich as those on Bornholm. Yes, Virginia there is a Danish pastry worth going half way around the world to find. On Bornholm Island.

HAL, you created a winner of an itinerary with that trip. Hope you repeat it. (Ports in not exact order: Rotterdam-Newcastle-Edinburgh-Goteburg-Oslo-Stockholm-Gdansk-Kiel-Bornholm-Copenhagen)

My best surprise was meeting someone on my roll call for my first Noordam cruise. We used to watch the Noordam leaving NYC every week until it was our turn to board. We met on board at the meet and greet and hit it off immediately. We cruised together on the Noordam the following year, and we'll be cruising on the Maasdam together this year.

On the Rotterdam Antarctic cruise two years ago there was an "Antarctic dip" in the seaview pool which was much fun. Guests came to the pool in bathrobes and wooly hats and hit the water, so nice and warm. And a little snow was falling. It was magical! We got a little certificate after to commemorate the event. I have to say when I discovered this event in Alaska, I did not bite this time.

On the Rotterdam Antarctic cruise two years ago there was an "Antarctic dip" in the seaview pool which was much fun. Guests came to the pool in bathrobes and wooly hats and hit the water, so nice and warm. And a little snow was falling. It was magical! We got a little certificate after to commemorate the event. I have to say when I discovered this event in Alaska, I did not bite this time.

That brings back great memories. I was fortunate to visit Antarctica on an Exhibition ship and we got a swim in a thermal pool. Water was great but we had to stay in a very small area as it got either freezing or scalding pretty quickly. Any swim in Antarctica is magical.

How is your winter in Hamilton?

Roy

That brings back great memories. I was fortunate to visit Antarctica on an Exhibition ship and we got a swim in a thermal pool. Water was great but we had to stay in a very small area as it got either freezing or scalding pretty quickly. Any swim in Antarctica is magical.

How is your winter in Hamilton?

Roy

Burr, but no snow, yeah! Lucky this year so far.

Out back by the Aft Pool, heading to Alaska this September, looking over the side, just enjoying..... and noticing an enormous fish by the ship. Enormous. I was wondering what kind of fish it was, that I could see it from so high up. And then it and its companion surfaced -- orcas :D I was so shocked I couldn't even squeak out any kind of alert to others who were nearby.

lettienets, that makes 2 of us. Just a trace here, but a foot just 50 miles from here (oops, thats 30cm, 100km away). DeepWaterMariner, what great memories. I'm greatly looking forward to my North Cape trip on Prinsendam.

Roy

We sailed on Rotterdam V thru the Panama Canal in Dec '96. Unbeknown to us when we booked the cruise, that sailing marked the 1000 voyage of this magnificent ship. There were all sorts of gala celebrations & special receptions on-board, with Captain Van Zaane presiding like a proud new papa. It was a wonderful treat & an unexpected surprise, made all the more special when we learned that Rotterdam V would retire from HAL service the following year.

Ah, the Grand Dame. I had the good fortune of sailing her final Alaska season, and hope to step back on board when I get off Rotterdam VI.
Nice combo! Reviews of Rotterdam Cruise Hotel are somewhat mixed on Trip Advisor, but I'd stay there just to do the self-guided tour & see the transformation. And maybe linger a while in a lounge, fancy cocktail in hand...

Not on Hal either. While on NCL Westward [formerly Royal Viking Star] for a 21 day cruise in 1992 from LA through the Canal to NY we were invited to the Captain's Table on a formal night for dinner, then to the Bridge during the transit of the Panama Canal, and finally to a cocktail party in the Captain's quarters for those of us [4 couples] staying on board for the final segment of the cruise from San Juan to New York. We were 2 very happy cruisers.:D

Another "not HAL", but on our recent NCL cruise, I volunteered to arrange the Cruise Critic meet & greet onboard. Because of that, DH & I were designated as VIPs and received all the perks that suite passengers were given. Not the butler, of course, because we were in a veranda stateroom, but the concierge made sure our trip was unforgettable! You can be sure that I'll be volunteering to do the M&G on future voyages!!:D

On a cruise to the Hawaiian Islands several years ago, (Statendam, I think?) we were sailing the Pacific heading toward the islands, when the Captain came on the loudspeaker one morning and told us he was turning the ship, to go and rescue a crew from a small sailboat that was sinking. He told us by Maritime law, we had to turn and go, as the only ships at all close were us, and a Japanese freighter, and the cruise ship could cruise faster than a freighter, so we would get there first. We sailed all day toward the disabled sailboat, with the Captain making periodic announcements to keep us informed, and at about 5:00, the Captain brought our ship to a stop in the ocean, directly across from the listing sailboat with 3 crew. The Captain told us stablizers wouldn't be in use, and anyone unsteady on their feet needed to find a place to sit and stay there until we were underway again, as it was going to be really rough when we stopped. We were rocking and rolling as the seas were high, and they got a tender ready to deploy, but the sail crew climbed in an inflatable life raft (with a small motor) and after skuttling the sailboat, made their way slowly toward us, disappearing completely from view in the rolling seas. Hal dropped a ladder, and the three men scampered up the ladder to the cheers of the watching passengers. Our ship stayed in place until the sailboat had completely sunk. It turned out they were a hired crew, paid to sail the boat from Long Beach to Hawaii by it's new owner... of course, he never got it. We actually lost a port (Molokai) in Hawaii, as it put us off course so far, and it changed the order of our other ports, but people were pretty understanding, considering. I think we got about $12.00 pp back on port fees, and the Captain gave everyone champagne at dinner, and that was the sum total of our compensation. I was disappointed as I booked the ship because Molokai was a new port, but so be it. I'll get there someday... The Captain asked the three men to hold a "press conference" the following day, so everyone could hear about their adventure, which was a lot more harrowing than we knew, as one after another of the boats systems failed, and then it began sinking. They were very grateful to have been rescued by a cruise ship, and actually, it's the one thing I remember the best from that cruise!

Gail and NextOne, isin't intresting how nice the VIP treatment is, but (at least by Gail's experience and signature) not enough to bring us back to the cruise line.

Kathi, what an awesome story. Sounds like the Captain really handled the situation perfectly including going out of the way to keep everybody informed. I'm also amazed at getting 3 great responses from people boarding the Maasdam in January. I think you will have a really fantastic group of people onboard for that voyage.

Roy

Gail and NextOne, isin't intresting how nice the VIP treatment is, but (at least by Gail's experience and signature) not enough to bring us back to the cruise line.

Kathi, what an awesome story. Sounds like the Captain really handled the situation perfectly including going out of the way to keep everybody informed. I'm also amazed at getting 3 great responses from people boarding the Maasdam in January. I think you will have a really fantastic group of people onboard for that voyage.

Roy

Roy: That NCL cruise was a once in a lifetime experience. The Price was excellent for 21 days & we had a small suite. It was a deal we could not overlook. However there were negative aspects of that cruise the way it was marketed [that I won't go into]. Even with the wonderful VIP treatment, we never felt like taking a longer cruise with them again. When my husband was alive we mainly did 21 days or more and found HAL more to our liking.:)

My two favorite surprises happened on the same cruise, HAL around South America. The first one was three days into the trip when walking down the hallway and coming across some familiar faces we tried to place as recent tablemates, only to realize we'd toured China for 4 weeks with them three years earlier! Ended up having a great time with them again.

The second surprise on this trip was the sea day heading towards the Falkland Islands. After spending the morning in the Crows Nest, I tried to attend the nature talk in the showroom only to find it packed (the nature expert was fabulous!). So I reluctantly returned to the Crows Nest to watch the water. Within 15 minutes, someone spotted movement ahead. We all watched with amazement (crew members included) as the ship passed through the largest pod of dolphins we've ever seen. Dolphins as far as the eye could see on either side of the ship, and they started leaping out of the water racing the ship as we passed through. And my camera was in the stateroom!

My two favorite surprises happened on the same cruise, HAL around South America. The first one was three days into the trip when walking down the hallway and coming across some familiar faces we tried to place as recent tablemates, only to realize we'd toured China for 4 weeks with them three years earlier! Ended up having a great time with them again.

The second surprise on this trip was the sea day heading towards the Falkland Islands. After spending the morning in the Crows Nest, I tried to attend the nature talk in the showroom only to find it packed (the nature expert was fabulous!). So I reluctantly returned to the Crows Nest to watch the water. Within 15 minutes, someone spotted movement ahead. We all watched with amazement (crew members included) as the ship passed through the largest pod of dolphins we've ever seen. Dolphins as far as the eye could see on either side of the ship, and they started leaping out of the water racing the ship as we passed through. And my camera was in the stateroom!

Awesome!

Roy

Oh, we fully expect to sail NCL again. At least as long as they still have a few of the smaller ships like the Spirit and the Sky. Sadly, the Majesty has left their fleet -- she was a sweet ship!

Roy

Oh, we fully expect to sail NCL again. At least as long as they still have a few of the smaller ships like the Spirit and the Sky. Sadly, the Majesty has left their fleet -- she was a sweet ship!

Hi neighbor. I'm in Columbia. I guess my comment was primarily thinking of Gail. I see you seem to enjoy several cruise lines.

Roy

Archived