Do We HAVE to attend formal night?

CampingMom

My DH, DS-15, DD-12, and I are going on our first cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We are sailing on the RCI Monarch of the Seas on a 4 nite Carribean cruise out of Port Canaveral. I've heard there is a formal night in the main dining room on the cruise one night during the cruise. Well, as a family, we really don't have a desire to get all dressed up for dinner. We prefer to keep it casual when on vacation as we do enough dressing up in our real lives.

Is it okay to skip the formal night or is this really a crazy unheard of thing to do?

Where else can we dine - without paying a per person fee?

Now I've also heard of a chocolate buffet at midnight.....is this really true? Now THAT is something I'd LOVE to attend!!! :).

Thanks!!!

Of course you can go up to the buffet, or pizza or deli .. I personally wouldnt, I just throw on a dress with no nylons or heels, flats and go. Its not required to be that dressy.

No one will tell you where you have to show up and eat.

I dont think there has been a midnight chocolate buffet for a long time now .. I dont remember seeing it.

Have fun whatever you decide.

You do NOT have to eat in the dining room on formal night. You can go to the Windjammer or Sorrentos. I haven't been on this specific ship but you do have alternatives. Depending on the staff, you may very well be able to do to dinner on formal night in the dining room wearing nice clothes (not formal but not jeans). I have seen it done before. It all depends on what you are comfortable with and how lenient the ship is.

I haven't seen a chocolate or midnight buffet for a few cruises now. Actually we have never gone to them, we just hear about them, but they have not been on out last few cruises. However they may be on yours.

I hope you have an EXCELLENT cruise. Our last one was in March and it seems like an eternity ago. I LOVE cruising.

Edited by aks368

As stated before, you don't have to dress formally. I usually wear a pair of black pants and a pretty blouse. (and flats!) A lot of men wear shirt with tie, or sports jacket & polo... but it's definitely not something you "have" to dress up formally. I try not to miss dining in the dining room on this night in particular because this is the night that you usually get your lobster &/or a good steak...

Carnival has started having their Chocolate Buffet one day in the afternoon.... I personally find that the chocolates they serve aren't worth my waiting in such a long line...

Relax - be casual - and have a Wonderful Cruise.... ;)

The only things you HAVE TO DO on a cruise are arrive with proper identification, attend the muster drill, and disembark in the wee hours of the morning on your final day.

In between, essentially everything is an option. And that includes the formal dinner. Personally, if I didn't care to dress up, I would eat in the buffet or another venue. I would not go in dressed inappropriately. Lots of people eat in the buffet every night.

We have always done formal night and on our last cruise we decided to skip it. We went to the alternative steak house instead and didn't miss it at all. There are plenty of eating venues on the ships and you certainly won't starve! Do what feels best to you and enjoy your cruise!

I was on Explorer a few weeks ago and they had a chocolate buffet at 11:30 one night. I was tired and didn't go see it. So I guess some ships do one occasionally. When we were on the Explorer 2yrs they didn't have one, so I guess ya never know. :)

Thanks so much for all of your advice. Knowing tuxes and formal gowns are not required may make us rethink our decision to skip... Especially with steak and lobster a probable menu choice.

I am glad i asked. I know very little about cruises and am happy to have found this helpful forum! I'll keep reading.

Thanks again everyone!

Brenda.

We usually choose the formal nights to head up to the Buffet on the top deck...It's usually quiet, we can eat what we want, and we can get in and get out fairly quickly, so we can then go to the shows, etc....

I have to wear a suit and tie every day for work, so the last thing I want to have to do on vacation is get dressed again....

They do tend to serve fancier entrees on formal night. (Now called elegant night). Dress shirt for the guys, decent slacks, dress for you & DD. (Or dressy pants and top) You'll be just fine. And I much prefer to have someone waiting on me, instead of doing a buffet.

No you don't have to do the formal night. We've only been to three formal nights out of three cruises. We usually do the first formal, and then the second on a 7 night cruise we people watch!!! This cruise we'll be going to a specialty restaurant on formal night dressed casual, and then maybe hit the MDR on a casual night or not!!!

Thanks so much for all of your advice. Knowing tuxes and formal gowns are not required may make us rethink our decision to skip... Especially with steak and lobster a probable menu choice.

I am glad i asked. I know very little about cruises and am happy to have found this helpful forum! I'll keep reading.

Thanks again everyone!

Brenda.

It is possible to dress up enough to fit in but still be comfortable and not really 'formal'. Despite not liking getting dressed up at home, my family loves this night on a cruise. We always go and have a family portrait done too, there is no 'sitting' charge and we usually have a few taken and buy one for $20.00

It is great fun to people watch and see those that really do get dressed up fancy.

As others have mentioned the food is usually better that night and on some ships the waiters do a show for you! Wouldn't miss it for anything.

• 2 years later...

We don't have super formal clothes (only 2 DDs married so far lol).But wear the nicest that we have, and embrace the spirit of the dining room.Your wait staff works really hard to please.I bet the young people in your party will "Enchant" the other guests!

Thanks again everyone!

Brenda.

Glad you are rethinking this!

You so don't have to dress in really formal clothes in the MDR on Formal Nights.

Your DH and son only need to wear long pants and a shirt with a collar.

Whatever you and your DD feel nicely dressed in will be absolutely fine.

Don't miss going to the MDR on Formal Night if you wish! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Lulu - the OP more than likely will not see your response and besides, their cruise was quite some time back. This thread is over three years old and their ship is not even part of the Royal Caribbean fleet anymore!;)

And her last post was in April of 2011:rolleyes: