After HAL, which other cruise lines would I like?

smalldog

Hello all, I've cruised HAL twice now and I like the quieter, more relaxed style of things. However, HAL doesn't do some of the itineraries I'm interested in.
If you're interested in staying close to home, Oceania will return in 2011/12 to Australia & NZ and will chart new territory to the South Pacific Islands. If further-flung destinations are your pleasure, they have many sailings to Asia, Africa, Europe & South America.

Oceania is a premium cruise line that offers an elegant & relaxed experience. Smaller ships (700 pax except for their newbuild Marina at 1250 pax), elegant casual all the time, no formal nites, low-key entertainment, polished service, excellent cuisine, many extra inclusions. Price is somewhat higher than HAL but pay close attention to what's included in the fare. Once you crunch the numbers, you may be surprised by the end result! If you like HAL, I think you'd love Oceania.

My sister lives in Bundaberg, and she's up on slightly higher ground thank goodness, ......

Bundaberg, makers of the best ginger beer on the planet. :) We buy caseloads of it over here in the US and I always pack a few bottles for each cruise to keep my ginger quotient high. Sorry about all the bad Ozzie rain, but glad to know Bundaberg will be spared and can keep cranking out that wonderful elixir.

Bundaberg, makers of the best ginger beer on the planet. :)

Have to agree with you there, except perhaps for my Mum (but she hasn't made ginger beer in years) ;)

Bundaberg has been flooded in parts, but I think the ginger beer factory survived. The rum distillery just down the road from it was cut off by floodwaters, but they assured the local newspaper that the vats were undamaged. Bundaberg Rum is pretty famous in Oz.

We travelled on The Queen Mary and really enjoyed it - altho our overall opinion was that her 'hugeness' let her down and we welcome the chance to return to HAL for our next cruise.

Cunard Lines are offering some good round Australia trips on their ships this year. We loved the regal atmosphere and grandeur onboard and it was definitely not the party boat like those of P & O.

So very glad that we experienced everything offered and had a wonderful time on a gracious and stately ship.

We would agree with the Azamara and Celebrity being similar to HA (especially on longer cruises). As to Regent and Seabourn, this is like comparing apples to oranges when you consider the price of those two ultra luxury lines.

Hank

I think Celebrity will be my next pick after HAL going on the dockside feedback. My first cruise was on Statendam coming home from NZ in 2008 and we were "shadowed" by Celebrity Mercury most of the way. We were curious as to the better cruise ship and spoke with a few passengers from Mercury - they loved her as much as the HAL passengers loved Statendam. It was a fabulous trip too.

I like the more personal size (1200-ish pax) rather than the new superships. What's the point of cruising if you feel like you're in a city? Happy coincidence that my next trip is again on Statendam.

I think Celebrity will be my next pick after HAL going on the dockside feedback. My first cruise was on Statendam coming home from NZ in 2008 and we were "shadowed" by Celebrity Mercury most of the way. We were curious as to the better cruise ship and spoke with a few passengers from Mercury - they loved her as much as the HAL passengers loved Statendam. It was a fabulous trip too.

I like the more personal size (1200-ish pax) rather than the new superships. What's the point of cruising if you feel like you're in a city? Happy coincidence that my next trip is again on Statendam.

Each to his own. I too have sailed Mercury and Statendam, and I would never travel Mercury again. In my opinion Mercury is the most overrated ship that I have sailed on, in fact, had Mercury been my first cruise, I would never have cruised again.

john

mr green,

What caused you to feel that way about the Mercury?

Run down ship, rude crew, poor food,[did not even serve crab]. We also had a very rough time getting on the ship, [they had our paperwork wrong]. There were several things wrong with the cabin too.

This ship was oversold IMO by Douglas Ward in his book. The ONLY thing that I liked was the on board shopping.

In all my cruises I have never complained about anything to any staff member, but in this case I am still waiting for a reply from Celebrities' head office.

I am still trying to put the cruise out of my mind!!!!

john

mr green,

What caused you to feel that way about the Mercury?

Just FYI, Mercury will be leaving the Celebrity fleet in a matter of months, so it's probably not a very good reference point.

Everybody is different. For me, the lack of a decent promenade deck is close to a deal killer with Celebrity.

Roy

Run down ship, rude crew, poor food,[did not even serve crab]. We also had a very rough time getting on the ship, [they had our paperwork wrong]. There were several things wrong with the cabin too.

This ship was oversold IMO by Douglas Ward in his book. The ONLY thing that I liked was the on board shopping.

In all my cruises I have never complained about anything to any staff member, but in this case I am still waiting for a reply from Celebrities' head office.

I am still trying to put the cruise out of my mind!!!!

john

Could not disagree more. We were just on the Mercury (last month) and unlike our recent cabin on the Prinsendam there was no rust of peeling paint in our cabin, our reading lights did not fall off the wall, etc etc. But, fear not because the Mercury will be no more after next next month when it becomes a German cruise ship.

Hank

rafinmd,

We also enjoy the promenade deck on HAL ships, for our 5 mile daily walk before breakfast.

Your Papeete to Auckland cruise sounds really good.

Will you stay on and see some more of NZ before your long flight home?

rafinmd,

We also enjoy the promenade deck on HAL ships, for our 5 mile daily walk before breakfast.

Your Papeete to Auckland cruise sounds really good.

Will you stay on and see some more of NZ before your long flight home?

We have amazingly similar tastes. My five miles isn't exactly before breakfast (I kind of snack my way through breakfast starting with a glass of skim milk around the midpoint). The ship overnights in Auckland so I have about a day and a half there but regrettably that's all. I did enjoy about 10 days in NA in 2003 (both islands)

Roy

Sounds like this is a topic of interest to lots of people, so I'm glad I asked the question!

I should have been more specific about what I like about HAL, as we are all different. I like:

* wooden decks for walking

* comfortable beds

* availability of plain foods such as poached eggs at breakfast, and steamed vegetables, rice, grilled steak/chicken/salmon in MDR at dinner (I have special dietary requirements)

* a good reading library

What I wish they had:

* plain foods available in Lido at dinner, so I don't have to eat in MDR every night

* genuine learning opportunities other than cooking or Windows (I'm on Mac anyway) - something like a learn to draw/paint course of lessons, or writing, etc

* a writing desk in the cabin where I can work comfortably on my laptop

* stopping for longer than a day in ports of call

All further suggestions gratefully received. :)

Archived