Price reduction after final payment.

crimmper

Hi all,

DW & I are set to cruise 2/27/11 on the Jewel. The final payment has been made a while ago. While on NCL's web site and searching the same cruise date, I noticed a price reduction of $186.72 for our category cabin. I just got off the phone with my TA and she stated that NCL will not give us the reduced rate because we have made the final payment and if we insisted on it there would be penalties. The TA did not elaborate on what the penalties were.

My TA was told by customer service , that I should call NCL and complain so it is documented. NCL customer service also stated that the TA should call them back in a week and tell them that I am complaining to her/TA so that is also documented.

TA said that if the complaints from both the TA and myself are documented, they will probably give us the reduced rate.

Seems to be poor business practice by NCL or I missed something in the small print.

I guess I'll let the DW handle this. She loves this kind of stuff. LOL

Wow - this issue usually comes up every week, but I think it has been longer than that this time.

You and NCL agreed on a price. You made your final payment and there is no refund after final payment date. Contract done.

NCL now has some cabins left and is having a sale to move them. Once those are sold, they are gone. They might even raise the price, but they will not raise your agreed upon price.

So, it appears that NCL is honoring your contract.

There have been many threads on this subject since I have been checking on the boards, and I hear you on wanting to get the best price! I guess it's kind of like buying an airline ticket and getting the best price is pure luck. However, if seats go up in price you are locked in. You never know with a cruise if prices will go up or down. From what I know, NCL doesn't have a different policy on this than from the other mass marketed cruise lines and their goal is to sail full. If you read your contract, they are not obligated to reduce your fare. If they have extra inventory they will try to get them sold, just like hotels do on priceline. Hey, there is an idea, the cruise lines should use priceline! I hope it all works out for you, and have fun on your cruise!

It is always worth a try and at times I have read that people got an OBC or sometype of reduction--but usually that is not the case.

This is always hard for people to understand. But here is the thing. When you book early you get the best choice of exactly which cabin you want and you don't have to worry about the price going up (which can also happen), or that your category of cabin will sell out (which does happen) or for that matter that the ship sells out (which they do). So--you have peace of mind and the best choice.

If you are willing to make a last minute decision, and take whatever is available, well --then you can get a great deal! But this only works if you really don't have a preference regarding the ship or the ports or the room that you get. But the advantage is that you get the cheap price.

If you look at it this way it makes perfect sense. I have done it both ways. But I totally understand that in each of these situations I am getting what I paid for.

By the way, we sailed on the Jewel last year, and it is a msot beautiful ship with a wonderful hotel director and staff. At this point I would kick back, relax, plan your cruise, and know that you are going to ahve a great time. You have made a complaint and perhaps you will get some type of compensation. But regardless, just have a fantastic time. ;)

Hi all!

Oh sorry to hear that! I'm sailing on the Epic in May but my last 3 cruises on RCI or X I have received an OBC for the price drop, $300 - $400 which is great. Are you saying NCL doesn't give you an OBC after final payment? If so, that's crummy!

~Jo~ :)

There have been many threads on this subject since I have been checking on the boards, and I hear you on wanting to get the best price! I guess it's kind of like buying an airline ticket and getting the best price is pure luck. However, if seats go up in price you are locked in. You never know with a cruise if prices will go up or down. From what I know, NCL doesn't have a different policy on this than from the other mass marketed cruise lines and their goal is to sail full. If you read your contract, they are not obligated to reduce your fare. If they have extra inventory they will try to get them sold, just like hotels do on priceline. Hey, there is an idea, the cruise lines should use priceline! I hope it all works out for you, and have fun on your cruise!

I can understand them reducing the price. There seems to be quite a few rooms available, especially in the suite department.

Well ,you got me on that :o. Printing the contract now (23 pages). Guess I will sit back and do some light reading.

Thanks for the info.

when we saw our rates drop, we were not even interested in a refund. We called our TA because we wanted to move cabins within the same category, but NCL said the were not even going to do that. And then I emailed my TA, and she emailed back a list of rooms available to move to. I was elated! (2 category upgrade which I wasn't even looking for)

OP.. good luck with that. For every OBC you read about on here that someone got because of a price drop, there are hundreds that didn't. I have never understood how some were able to get it and others weren't, but that's how it goes. The poster I noted below who got moved to a different cabin got the most common form of "compensation" from NCL that I have read about.

CCL and RCCL used to give refunds up until sailing date, but they have recently changed to the same kind of policy that NCL has, at least that is how I understand it from CCL's and RCCL's website and from reading postings on their boards. They all offer a 48 hour protection from final payment date (or from purchase if you purchase after final payment date).

when we saw our rates drop, we were not even interested in a refund. We called our TA because we wanted to move cabins within the same category, but NCL said the were not even going to do that. And then I emailed my TA, and she emailed back a list of rooms available to move to. I was elated! (2 category upgrade which I wasn't even looking for)

Im surprised they gave your TA a difficult time when she/he called. This is usually what they will do if the price drop is enough to fit you into a new catagory of stateroom. I'm glad they were able to get something worked out via email. You seem a lot more like me.. I would rather have the nicer room.. 8-)

Our experience has been that we're issued OBC (or given cabin upgrade, if available - sometimes) after final payment when it was booked directly via our NCL cruise consultant (not online via the NCL website) as otherwise, they will refer you back to your own TA to negotiate with NCL for any OBC, if any.

Essentially, this is at NCL/agent's discretion - might like flying these days, one pax sitting on the next row is paying full fare or lot more than us and another pax is paying less b/c of a one day sale.

We booked 2 cabins for an upcoming sailing b/c others in our group were indecisive, ending up paying $40 extra per cabin x 3 cabin only 5 days later, checked today and its up another $60 per cabin (based on 2 pax) as the balcony & mini/suite inventory begin to disappear at last minute, rock-bottom sale prices. It's still a bargain and I'm pretty there will be lots of pax in those cabins paying $$$ hundreds more when they booked them months ago or perhaps sometime back in 2010 on a prior NCL cruise, and opted for those onboard fully refundable/transferable booking offers.

on our PC cruise we got a free upgrade we booked thru a TA i just took a chance to ask what could they do and they DID...inside to OV we were THRILLED:):Dbut like others have said doesnt happen all the time...we tried the cruise after that nothin and so sometimes it does happen...sometimes it doesnt!

Sorry for your trouble with the price increase...

I know you booked NCL, but look at the Carnival Early Saver program for your next cruise. I recently got my fare lowered from this program, so I know it works.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/default.aspx

There is also a website that will notify you of refunds for your airline tickets:

http://www.yapta.com/airline-refunds/

Hi all,

DW & I are set to cruise 2/27/11 on the Jewel. The final payment has been made a while ago. While on NCL's web site and searching the same cruise date, I noticed a price reduction of $186.72 for our category cabin. I just got off the phone with my TA and she stated that NCL will not give us the reduced rate because we have made the final payment and if we insisted on it there would be penalties. The TA did not elaborate on what the penalties were.

My TA was told by customer service , that I should call NCL and complain so it is documented. NCL customer service also stated that the TA should call them back in a week and tell them that I am complaining to her/TA so that is also documented.

TA said that if the complaints from both the TA and myself are documented, they will probably give us the reduced rate.

Seems to be poor business practice by NCL or I missed something in the small print.

I guess I'll let the DW handle this. She loves this kind of stuff. LOL

sorry, my answer to what you were told is BULL!! Not only NCL, but most lines will not give reductions. They do normally upgrade you if space is available. On rare occassions you can get an OBC, but the price reduction is NO>

NIta

I know you booked NCL, but look at the Carnival Early Saver program for your next cruise. I recently got my fare lowered from this program, so I know it works.

There is also a website that will notify you of refunds for your airline tickets:

In neither of the cases you posted does this always hold true. The Carnival policy, as I understand it does not refer to sailing only a week or two away and the refund on air diffenently isn't always the case. I have a couple of family members who work for major airlines. Ask an airline employee about this. All these programs have restrictions is some cases.

Nita

For those reading this, we all understand you would like to get the lower price, an OBC or cabin upgrade.

But, you will probably be told no.

Ask yourself this question:

If they did NOT reduce the price you already agreed on for anyone, ever, would you be just as upset?

Pretty sure the answer is no, as you did AGREE to the earlier pricing. Seems like people are mad that somebody else got a better price.

OK..let's put an end to this thread.................

BPG_400.gif

Now you can be sure, when cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line you always get the best price.

Here's how it works: If you find a lower advertised price from Norwegian Cruise Line for the same cruise within 48 hours of booking your fully deposited trip, you'll receive 110% of the difference in the form of an Onboard Credit, or we'll re-price your cruise at the lower price. The choice is yours. It's that easy.

If only it was "THAT EASY"

Really...because the program's terms and conditions say you don't get a refund, you get a no cash value nonrefundable OBC, of which any unused amount will be forfeited. Further, in order to be eligible for the program your deposit is nonrefundable and nontransferable.

Looked at my account again and I got an on-board credit (sorry for the mistake) BUT....that means part of my bar tab is covered already before I get on the ship!!! :)

but long story short...this program provides something better (OBC) compared to getting nothing. Just passing on tips to help somebody save some money.

More accurate link to 48 HR deal.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BestPriceGuarantee

And, hey, an OBC is EXACTLY the same as cash, assuming you will spend it anyways. Our daily bar tab often meets most OBCs without a problem.

But it isn't the same to the cruise line. If you spend $5 of an OBC to buy a bottle of beer that cost the cruise line 25 cents, they've only refunded 25 cents to you. If they give you $5 cash, they've refunded $5 to you. That's why cruise lines give OBCs instead of cash refunds...it only costs them a fraction of the apparent value. And psychologically, having that OBC may induce you to spend more on the ship than you otherwise would have.

But it isn't the same to the cruise line. If you spend $5 of an OBC to buy a bottle of beer that cost the cruise line 25 cents, they've only refunded 25 cents to you. If they give you $5 cash, they've refunded $5 to you. That's why cruise lines give OBCs instead of cash refunds...it only costs them a fraction of the apparent value. And psychologically, having that OBC may induce you to spend more on the ship than you otherwise would have.

That's not really correct. E.G.: I go on the boat with 25 bucks in my pocket to buy five beers at 5 bucks a pop. The ship gave me a 25 dollar OBC. Now I use those 25 obc to buy my 5 beers and I still have 25 bucks in my pocket and got the beers for free. I could careless that they cost them .25 cents each. I would have been out 25 bucks had I not had the OBC. That's the way most business work. On my up coming cruise I get a 300 OBC. That's 3 dinners at Cagney's, 15 beers and a couple of pic's of me and the old DW. It may cost NCL "maybe" 25 bucks of real expence for the OBC, but ultimatly it would have cost me or anyone else 300 bucks. NCL really looses $275 of profit:D:eek: Even if I don't buy anything, I still need to pay the DSC which comes to $168 That leaves 132 buck to buy the kids at home a couple of souvernirs or tip extra the staff that helped me. So I still have 300 bucks of my own money in my pocket... kinda like a refund

I think NCL best price guarantee is sort useless really. Its only good for 48hrs?

Best price should be best price period..our cabin price went down by $100 pp so in essence we are penalized for booking early as opposed to carnival's early saver program.

I email and called our NCL travel planner he returned one call which I missed and I have been unable to contact him.

Now the cruise it paid in full and 45 days or so out I guess they don't make any adjustments?

Archived