Smuggling Booze?

LaShelle2

know this has been asked, but too lazy to search, plus I want current info from recent cruisers

Is it easy to smuggle onto Monarch in Port Canaveral

How much booze does RCL "legally" let you bring on?

Keep away from the smuggeliling - it is a HUGE cance that you will be taken.

Limit is 0

Cruised last week and it seemed as though many Alcohol Bottles were caught. We were sent down to the naughty room because of a travel iron and there was tons of alcohol bottles. However they never looked twice at our opened "gatorade" bottles of margarita mix and Bahama Mama mix. If you're going to smuggle put the booze in a non alcohol bottle :) That is the best way!

Limit is 0

NCL and Carnival allows you to "legally" bring on 1 bottle o wine or champagne or 6 pack. Would be nice if RCL would do the same :cool:.

Oh well will get creative with concealing my goodies.

I have done the water bottle of vodka thing myself LOL

RCI allows none...Why take the chance..Is it really worth it just to save a few $$ after what you have paid for your cruise...RCI knows all the tricks..their not new at this..too much revenue on the line....;)

NCL and Carnival allows you to "legally" bring on 1 bottle o wine or champagne or 6 pack. Would be nice if RCL would do the same :cool:.

Oh well will get creative with concealing my goodies.

I have done the water bottle of vodka thing myself LOL

Now that's a great idea. They've never seen that one before. :rolleyes:

You are paying thousands for your cruise and you try to save a few bucks by smuggling booze.

These are probably the same people that do not want to follow the suggested dress codes.

You have obviously read enough of these threads to know for a lot of people it is not about cost. It is about being able to drink what you want, when you want and how you want on your private balcony.

I'm on vacation and I don't want to have to plan to have a drink on my balcony if I feel like one. I get back from the beach, take a shower, the sun is setting, I have a little time to kill, I am very content chilling on my balcony and would like a drink on my balcony right now while I have 20 minutes of do nothing time. RCI's marketing must really work because I say "why not" and mix myself a drink from my smuggled, illegal, against the rules booze.

With the $4500 I spent on cruise fare alone for my family, the 3-4 bucks I might have just saved did not enter into the equation. As an aside I am not one of those people that will try to justify my smuggling by saying I still spend plenty on board. I believe that is irrelevant. RCI doesn't have a loophole in it's rules saying people who spend a certain amount onboard are allowed to smuggle booze.

I follow the suggested attire guidlines in the MDR but being only one person I am not a large enough sample to dispute your theory. Perhaps you should start a poll.

I read recently that RCI monitors these boards...do you think they know all the new tricks from the numerous threads started everyday about "smuggling booze"

Just a thought;)

Based on my 11/2010 cruise on FOS I would say no.

Half of what I bring is in the original packaging and half in

rumrunners. Never had an issue in the last 8 years. This is not to say

people don't or won't have problems, I just haven't.

You have obviously read enough of these threads to know for a lot of people it is not about cost. It is about being able to drink what you want, when you want and how you want on your private balcony.

I'm on vacation and I don't want to have to plan to have a drink on my balcony if I feel like one. I get back from the beach, take a shower, the sun is setting, I have a little time to kill, I am very content chilling on my balcony and would like a drink on my balcony right now while I have 20 minutes of do nothing time. RCI's marketing must really work because I say "why not" and mix myself a drink from my smuggled, illegal, against the rules booze.

With the $4500 I spent on cruise fare alone for my family, the 3-4 bucks I might have just saved did not enter into the equation. As an aside I am not one of those people that will try to justify my smuggling by saying I still spend plenty on board. I believe that is irrelevant. RCI doesn't have a loophole in it's rules saying people who spend a certain amount onboard are allowed to smuggle booze.

I follow the suggested attire guidlines in the MDR but being only one person I am not a large enough sample to dispute your theory. Perhaps you should start a poll.

AMEN! For us, 'sneaking' a bottle of red on has NOTHING to do with saving $40. When will RCL understand this. Same as the poster above-after a day in port, I want to come back to my room, shower, put my ipod on, and sit on the balcony drinking said drink of my choice WITHOUT the hassle of goign to get it somewhere else on the boat.

If this really is a way for RCL to make more money then they are way off the mark-because they are also losing passengers! Our first cruise was on RCL since my MIL is a diamond member, but since then we have tried Celebrity and Princess where you are not treated like a 20-yr old trying to buy alcohol. We are sailing on the Radiance in 3 weeks and she was chosen due to the timeframe and Tampa port. Not sure after this cruise we will continue to cruise RCL due to the alcohol policy. Not when the differences between the 3 lines are so slight and on Princess/X I get to drink on my balcony without fear of the alcohol police!

Happy Cruising

You are paying thousands for your cruise and you try to save a few bucks by smuggling booze.

These are probably the same people that do not want to follow the suggested dress codes.

You have hit the nail on the head!I doubt if anyone would smuggle booze into a bar so why do it on a ship when you have been asked not to!

You have hit the nail on the head!I doubt if anyone would smuggle booze into a bar so why do it on a ship when you have been asked not to!

Great analogy. Even more spot on for people who sleep, shower, keep

their clothes and have paid to have a private area of a bar for a week.

What time does RCI "ask" you to get to the terminal ? What time do you

get there ?

know this has been asked, but too lazy to search, plus I want current info from recent cruisers

Is it easy to smuggle onto Monarch in Port Canaveral

How much booze does RCL "legally" let you bring on?

RCL doesn't allow anything. Google rum runners, buy rum runners, use rum runners. You'll be fine.

Limit is 0

LOL, A HUGE chance?!?! Really?!? The only change they are taking is that they might lose the alcohol they smuggled...and even that is rare if they do it right. How is losing the alcohol you wouldn't have anyway a "HUGE" change.

If you thinks smuggling alcohol is a huge chance I'd hate to hear what you say to people who ride motorcycles, or ride roller coasters, or play any sort of sport, or work in a dangerous field like law enforcement. AAAAAHHHHH we're taking HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE chances. ha ha ha ha ha

Boy you're funny, thanks for the laugh this morning. LOL

I bring my rumrunners with success everytime...so far. I too like to have a drink on the balcony before dinner or whenever.

My DH doesn't really drink. One day out on deck we were relaxing in the loungers, he ordered a Pina Colada with the intent on drinking 1/4 and giving me the rest. He drank the whole thing. It was about $9.75. Not a drop of booze in it because if there had been he would have only had a little.

I love my rumrunners!:D

Toni

Sailing for the first time on Royal Caribbean in February. Have previously cruised on NCL and Princess. I am a wine drinker and enjoy a glass on the balcony before dinner. NCL allows wine on board, but you must pay a corkage fee. First time I carried on two bottles, literally hanging out of my bag, they did not charge me and let me walk right on board. I was willing to pay the fee, but since no one stopped me...oh well. This wine was not to bring in the dining room, but was to enjoy in my room. Princess allowed the wine, but you paid a cork fee if you wanted to bring it to the dining room. Again, as this was my "private balcony" stock, there was no fee. Being able to bring my own wine on board did not stop me from ordering bottles of wine at dinner. If I was not able to bring the wine on for my stateroom I would not have ordered it, just done without until I got to the dining room. I understand RCC having a policy, but not allowing even bottles of wine on board seems a bit excessive. Other cruise lines have proven that this can be done responsibly. Not going to comment on the rum runners and other smuggling issues, but if the only penalty is being called to the "naughty room" and having your bottle taken away, take a chance if you want...just the cost of the bottle to loose.

Just got off the FOS on Jan. 9th. We had a group of 11 and 3 of us smuggled. I, personally, had a half pint in my front pocket and a half litre in my suitcase. I figured it was worth the risk because loosing a half bottle wouldn't kill me. I put it in mixed up with my shoes. My brother-in-law had two plastic flasks in his front pockets, again no proplem. My daughter brought vodka in a large water bottle and a box of wine and hers also went through. For those who think I took advantage of RCI I did use their $1.95 cans of coke for mix. My thinking was a Captain/Coke was $5.65 each so that would have cost me $11.30 for my wife and I so giving them the overpriced rate of $1.95 for a can of pop was a good trade off.

Very interesting to see the reasons people choose a cruise line.:rolleyes:

You did not read my post. I said that given the differences between the cruise lines in food, entertainment, cabins, and decor are so minimal - we will chose a line based on more 'minor' issues. And for us, that 'minor' issue is the ability enjoy a glass of wine on my balcony whenever we want (without the worries of getting caught and going to the naughty room). To us, not minor at all. And we are a young couple that has recently discovered the joys of cruising with a LONG future of money-sucking vacations in front of us.

You did not read my post. I said that given the differences between the cruise lines in food, entertainment, cabins, and decor are so minimal - we will chose a line based on more 'minor' issues. And for us, that 'minor' issue is the ability enjoy a glass of wine on my balcony whenever we want (without the worries of getting caught and going to the naughty room). To us, not minor at all. And we are a young couple that has recently discovered the joys of cruising with a LONG future of money-sucking vacations in front of us.

Well, the good thing is that this doesn't narrow it down much at all, as I think pretty much every major cruise line would allow you to have a bottle of wine in your room to enjoy whenever you want. :cool:

I find it funny you can have 10 threads going on how people may lose the use of their robes on a cruise :rolleyes:when or if they change rules on C & A. But just let someone ask a booze question and here you go you are the scum of the earth. It's an open forum people can ask what they want with out the booze police jumping in . Just My Humble Opinion.

Personally I don't smuggle for myself anymore , too much effort for the end result. Had to go stand in that long line last cruise for 2 bottles of water that I threw in my suitcase without thinking when we left our pre-cruise hotel. Used to bring a few beers along as a like to have some in my room on ice, but like I said it's just not worth the hassle.

I did smuggle some on for our shipmates last cruise , he likes the hard stuff and I tend to wear cargo shorts on the islands. We bought a couple of pints that had plastic lids slid them in the pockets and walked on.

Very interesting to see the reasons people choose a cruise line.:rolleyes:

Actually, it's a pretty decent consideration for me; I've got access to more wine, and better wines, than the ship would have. Being able to bring wine on board -- and I'll happily pay corkage on it, be it for consumption in the MDR, steakhouse, or my cabin -- is an attractive feature in a cruise line. On my upcoming RCL cruise, I'll be limited to what the boat carries, which pretty much falls into the category of "wines I've had multiple times before, and which are pretty straightforward."

Of course, as the username implies, I'm a cork dork, so I'm the exception in that respect... :D

Archived