Mendenhall On Our Own--How to Get There

theshowmestate

Is MGT a tour or just a ride to Mendenhall? Do you pick it up at the base of the tram? How long is the ride? We want to do the tram and then go out to the glacier.

As a reminder (since I haven't seen this posted lately), don't buy your tram tickets until the day you're there and don't bother if it's so foggy that you can't see the top as you also won't be able to see the bottom once you get up there under foggy conditions!:D

Is MGT a tour or just a ride to Mendenhall? Do you pick it up at the base of the tram? How long is the ride? QUOTE]

There are BOTH, TOUR buses that include Mendenhall and SHUTTLE buses that just go back and forth. The tour buses are a very good value, give an interesting commentary, several stops. Yes, you load in the parking area near the tram. Booths line the sidewalks. It is an hour round trip, dock to Mendenhall. 20 minute ride in each direction.

I was wondering what time the shuttles begin? Our port time begins at 7a.m. and we have a pickup for our helicopter tour at 11:45a.m. Would we have time to take a shuttle to Mendenhall, walk around for a while, and get back for our 11:45a.m. pickup?

I was wondering what time the shuttles begin? Our port time begins at 7a.m. and we have a pickup for our helicopter tour at 11:45a.m. Would we have time to take a shuttle to Mendenhall, walk around for a while, and get back for our 11:45a.m. pickup?

isn't that information on their web site?

We actually rented a car and visited Mendenhall on our own. We also drove around Junea, went to the Shrine Chapel, Salmon Hatchery, and visited the Governors House. The rental car agency picked us up at the ship, took us to their location, and then delivered us back to the ship went we were done to do some shopping. I would do it again this way.

The rental car agency picked us up at the ship, took us to their location, and then delivered us back to the ship went we were done to do some shopping. I would do it again this way.

They no longer do this. You have to get to their downtown office yourself.

We actually rented a car and visited Mendenhall on our own. We also drove around Junea, went to the Shrine Chapel, Salmon Hatchery, and visited the Governors House. The rental car agency picked us up at the ship, took us to their location, and then delivered us back to the ship went we were done to do some shopping. I would do it again this way.

We are thinking about doing this as well. What were some of the highlights of your drive? Did you use Rent-a-Wreck?

Is one hour enough time for going to the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center?
That should be more than enough for the visitor center itself, but leave yourself sufficient time to enjoy the total visit.

At the visitor center you would probably want to see the film and the exhibits, admire the views, possibly listen to a ranger presentation or browse the gift shop.

If the weather is bad, you may only want to take a quick look around outside and leave but if it is a lovely day and you see bears or want to hike some of the trails you may want to spend quite a while longer.

It is better to leave your departure time open and play it by ear so you can leave when you are ready instead of locking yourself into a fixed pickup time in advance.

We had a great day in our rent-a-wreck car. We visited the Shrine Chapel and Biblical Gardens. It is a small chapel outside of town that has a memorial dedicated to the Victims of Abortion. It is a beautiful place to visit and you can walk down to the water, tour the gardens and multiple memorials. They have a little gift shop but many people do not know its there and we were the only ones there. We also drove to Mendenhall Glacier, spent time there at teh visiting center and walking down to the glacier and waterfall. Then on to the Salmon Hatchery. We drove around the city, visited the Governors House and the Capitol. I was shocked to find the Governors House unprotected and no security. Ours is like a locked down fortress.. We rang the bell and was invited in to look around and take pictures, we visited during the Palin era and it was the highlight to my trip.. We returned the car and had plenty of time to shop around town as well..

I would take this route every time, the area is close to the pier and we did not feel rushed and were able to take our time and do what we wanted.

Rent a wreck gave us a detailed map that was very easy to read and follow.

Archived