Snorkeling with Contact Lenses?

ValerieJo

I very rarely wear my contact lenses and on our last few cruises, I had a hard time seeing the marine life as I regularly wear glasses. :( Obviously I can't wear my glasses under my snorkel mask and thought I might try wearing my contact lenses with my mask.

Do most contact lense wearers wear them snorkeling? Does the salt water sting your eyes?

I really don't want the expense of a percription mask. Any other suggestions from glasses wearers who like to snorkel?

Thanks.

My wife and I wear contacts and haven't had any problems snorkeling with them on. When you put on the snorkel mask, it will be tight to your face (pulling straps), and you shouldn't get water in the mask.

Have fun, we love snorkeling! :)

I used to wear my contacts when snorkeling but did have some stinging issues. I finally bought a divers mask with corrective lenses (this cost about $80) which is terrific for both snorkeling and diving.

Hank

I swim wearing goggles and contacts and have snorkeled wearing contacts. If you do get some water in your eyes while wearing contacts it is actually less uncomfortable with salt water than it is with fresh water as the ocean is pretty much the salinity as your tears so it doesn't plaster the lens to your cornea.

I used to wear contacts before I started wearing bifocals. I still maintain a set of contacts that I maintain largely for snorkeling and swimming. They work great, although I need to carry some reading glasses with me in case I need to read something close up (like a restaurant menu).

My eye doctor seemed a little leery of using contacts while snorkeling - he was mostly concerned with bacteria they might pick up in the sea water and cautioned about not wearing them too long and cleaning really well after using in the ocean.

Contacts are the way to go. I work for an optometry group in Florida and am a certified scuba diver as well. I have a light rx but my husband is highly myopic (can't see his hand in front of his face w/o correction from glasses or contacts)..lol. A mask is one solution although if you have to take it off it can be scary to be in the open water and not see well. That also leaves you needing a prescription pair of sunglasses while not in the water and those aren't cheap, no one wants to be in the sun all day w/o sunglasses! Contacts allows you to bring a less expensive pair of sunglasses that can wrap around your face for the best protection-you cant get wrap with most prescriptions.

Contacts are great but I always have a water tight pack that me or the hubby wears with a spare set of contacts and a little solution while in the water. We also keep a little sample bottle of rewetting/allergy drops called patanol just in case he gets an irritation while out there-your dr can provide. As a last resort we pack a prescription set of glasses with clip on sunglasses after an experience from one snorkel excursion where he took dramamine for the boat ride and his eyes dried out so bad he couldn't wear his contacts the rest of the day! This happens more often than you think and you can never be too prepared. It could ruin an entire port day and shore excursion for someone who can't see well to lose or damage a contact lens. Better to have it and not need it they say.

Hope this helps-

• 1 year later...

Hi there..

I use monthly lenses (change once a month) so I guess its classed as a hard lens.

When I go on holiday should I just buy a whole bunch of daily lenses to use if I plan to snorkel. I also plan to learn to scuba, so max depth a couple of metres.

At least this time around. I assume i dont need to worry about pressure etc?

Even if water gets in should I go back and change to a new set of soft lenses or just put the sames one on with some solution?

thanks very much

Hi there..

I use monthly lenses (change once a month) so I guess its classed as a hard lens.

When I go on holiday should I just buy a whole bunch of daily lenses to use if I plan to snorkel. I also plan to learn to scuba, so max depth a couple of metres.

Even if water gets in should I go back and change to a new set of soft lenses or just put the sames one on with some solution?

thanks very much

I'd give a set of the daily lenses a shot. But do give them a trial for a few days here and there well in advance of your travels. For me they don't correct my vision well enough as they don't, or didn't, come in the exact toric measurement I needed for astigmatism. I use a two-week variety for snorkeling and swimming because they do correct my vision so much better. But I'll use a set in a cruise and discard them after 2 or 3 snorkeling days. I no longer wear contact lenses daily as I now need bifocals and prefer glasses for normal daily activity. But the contacts are great for distance vision and swimming.

BTW - many many years ago I tried hard lenses and hated them. They were truly hard and were intended to be used indefinitely at the time. If you can bend your "monthly" lenses at all without fear of breaking them they are not hard lenses of that type.

Hi there..

I dive 100+ ft with contacs and no issues.

dw and dd have worn contacts diving for years with no problems - but they wear contacts daily too.

Last time I visited Divers Direct in Key Largo they had a large display of a "built it yourself" perscription mask system. There was a large selection of fairly common strength lenses (sorry I don't wear so didn't mean any thing to me for further comment) that fit into a "frame" mask that was a pretty common shape. The individual lens' were around $25 and all told a mask would run about $100. Given that a "regular" mask can easily run more than $100 it looked like a good deal to me. (bought one on special for dd and it was still $80 ... she preferred using contacts and having more choice in her mask ... color of course!)

divers direct - several locations from Orlando to Key West and on line .... I do not work for them but they do have decent selection in their stores.....

I have snorkeled with contacts since 1989 with no problems. When you have a mask on, you shouldn't get any salt water in your eyes for it to burn. I've been splashed in the eyes and never had a problem with it burning.

I always take extra pairs of my (monthly lens) with me just in case I was to ever have a problem. But, I've never needed them. :)

• 2 months later...

I wear my contacts both for snorkeling and scuba diving. The key is to make sure you have a good mask. When buying a mask, it should stick to your face without the strap going round your head. There are many masks out there. If you have trouble finding a mask that fits, find a good dive shop nearby and they can help you out.

Yes, its possible to snorkeling no problem but you care the things are your mask, fins, defog, practice breathing and limitation to consider are water temperature, surge, currents, and visibility.

What?:confused:

I love to snorkel! Never had any trouble up until a few years ago when the salt water started burning my eyes badly. About the same time, I started having light sensitivity issues. My eye doctor diagnosed me with dry eye syndrome. After internet research, I began taking Mega-Reds and Lutein. To my delight, my eyes issues went away almost immediately.

The reason that I believe Mega-Reds and Lutein helped with my eye problem is that when I forgot to pack them with me on a trip, my eye problems returned. And when I started taking these supplements again, my eye problems went away.

Before taking these supplements, I found that Genteal Severe Eye Gel also helped ease any eye problems with sea water. The time that I forgot my pills, this gel helped get me through my trip. I take it everywhere I go.

Archived