dress code question please no flamming me

thrusday

we are considering a cruise from austrilla around new zealand back to austrilla on holland america and wanted to know if jeans nice jeans no holes no fraying is excepted in the dinning room we understand about formal nights and have no problems dressing up for those night but my husband wont wear anything else but jeans on other night, is this allowed in the dinnigroom yes we have sailed princess three times and never had any issues , but i want to try a different line one price is alot cheaper then princess and two well its good to try different lines , so can i get honest and nice responds from every one , just no flamming thankyou in advance

Yes, nice jeans are allowed in the MDR on casual nights now. (Didn't used to be.) Enjoy your cruise. :)

The last couple of years I have seen a lot of nice jeans in the dining room on smart casual nights.

We have also seen a lot of not so nice jeans! The times...they are a'changin my friends!

We have also seen a lot of not so nice jeans! The times...they are a'changin my friends!
Once on a formal night I saw a guy leaving that was wearing cargo pants, a football jersey, and a baseball cap on backwards. To give the maitre d' the benefit of the doubt, though, the guy was pushing a woman in a wheelchair, and he may have just been allowed into the room to get her.

Of course, he will be wearing coat and tie with those jeans right? :p Should be okay as a package. Also surprised to hear you say Princess was way more expensive than HAL -thought they were in similar price categories along with Celebrity with only a few premium level cabin differences.

on non formal nights a pair of nice jeans and a nice shirt on formal night suite and tie thats how he is , yes princess is actually 5000 more then holland america so its a big price difference , on princess we always had a mini suite because he gets up at 4 am and i want to sleep lol and looking at zaandam jr suites are about the same as princess ., so its a give or take on this one, im just concerned with his wearing jeans every day and at dinner exception on formal night thanks for the respondes time to get things done ,again thanks for not flamming if not in dinningroom i know theres always the buffet to eat but two weeks is hard eating all the time in the buffet ,thanks again

I have DEFINITELY seen jeans in the dining room

and on formal night, saw one person with sequined jeans (no comment and no flaming) and someone in coveralls (ditto).

But were they sequined coveralls? --- or just your every day garden variety type.:)

Last week on Eurodam a couple in jeans ahead of us to check in were turned away on formal night. Another day on casual night a family in shorts were refused admittance. They put up a fight and complained to anyone around.

I compliment HAL on enforcing their standards.

To the OP, there were a lot of jeans on casual nights.

we are considering a cruise from austrilla around new zealand back to austrilla on holland america and wanted to know if jeans nice jeans no holes no fraying is excepted in the dinning room we understand about formal nights and have no problems dressing up for those night but my husband wont wear anything else but jeans on other night, is this allowed in the dinnigroom yes we have sailed princess three times and never had any issues , but i want to try a different line one price is alot cheaper then princess and two well its good to try different lines , so can i get honest and nice responds from every one , just no flamming thankyou in advance

I hope you will enjoy your cruise from Australia and around New Zealand.

If a man is going to wear denim into the MDR on a non-formal nights, they should be dress jeans with a button shirt and blazer. We are two men in our 30's, FYI. The crew goes to such lengths to make for a nice presentation and some of us save for and invest in what we expect to be a traditional cruising experience. If a man wants to wear denim to dinner on HAL then there is the Lido and Canaletto. There are other cruise lines that have a more liberal dress code in the MDR.

This is my honest opinion and I am glad to hear that some ships are enforcing a more respectful dining environment.

If a man is going to wear denim into the MDR on a non-formal nights, they should be dress jeans with a button shirt and blazer. We are two men in our 30's, FYI. The crew goes to such lengths to make for a nice presentation and some of us save for and invest in what we expect to be a traditional cruising experience. If a man wants to wear denim to dinner on HAL then there is the Lido and Canaletto. There are other cruise lines that have a more liberal dress code in the MDR.

This is my honest opinion and I am glad to hear that some ships are enforcing a more respectful dining environment.

thank you for youre honesty but however considering its not a formal night i can not see why it would be dress jeans and button shirt , honestly i can not change my husband even though ive tried im 43 and hes 63 and he is pretty well set in his ways at least he does dress for formal night, again thank you but i feel i have my answer and hope no one gets upset over this , so yes he will be wearing his rustlers and his 501 jeans to dinner on non formal nights and suite and tie on formal thank you all for the help , appericate it very much and yes i plan on enjoying the cruise making some memories before its too late ,oh we dont wear shorts to dinner thats not a issue,, thanks though for the heads up ,

thank you for youre honesty but however considering its not a formal night i can not see why it would be dress jeans and button shirt , honestly i can not change my husband even though ive tried im 43 and hes 63 and he is pretty well set in his ways at least he does dress for formal night, again thank you but i feel i have my answer and hope no one gets upset over this , so yes he will be wearing his rustlers and his 501 jeans to dinner on non formal nights and suite and tie on formal thank you all for the help , appericate it very much and yes i plan on enjoying the cruise making some memories before its too late ,oh we dont wear shorts to dinner thats not a issue,, thanks though for the heads up ,

Enjoy your cruise-everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Don't worry about it. These boards make it way more stuffy than it really is. On our recent cruise, there were A LOT of people in jeans (sweatshirts), etc. We had to laugh, cause we didn't have our luggage yet, so my husband had to wear his jeans and a shirt, and he was worried about standing out. He was one of the better dressed in our area. Who cares? Just be comfortable. I used to really worry about it, until I actually saw what is happening. Don't worry.

If a man is going to wear denim into the MDR on a non-formal nights, they should be dress jeans with a button shirt and blazer.

Says WHO?

We are two men in our 30's, FYI. The crew goes to such lengths to make for a nice presentation and some of us save for and invest in what we expect to be a traditional cruising experience. If a man wants to wear denim to dinner on HAL then there is the Lido and Canaletto. There are other cruise lines that have a more liberal dress code in the MDR.

Your opinion does not match the HAL dress code. Maybe you need to find a cruise line with a dress code that matches your prefered style?

Again - you'll have a great cruise no matter what and I'm certainly not flaming you nor are we 'stuffy'. You came here seeking advice and opinions and they'll vary from poster to poster. So no worries!

Here is the text from the HAL website on 'what to pack' make of it what you will... and again, have a great cruise!

"Pack as you would for any resort. Cruise vacations are casual by day, whether you're on the ship or ashore. The suggested attire for most evenings is resort casual; slacks and collared shirts for men, and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening-wear for women. On formal nights women usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and men wear a jacket and tie, dark suit, or tuxedo."

You came here seeking advice and opinions and they'll vary from poster to poster.

No, actually, the OP was looking for an answer to a specific question -- could her husband wear jeans in the MDR on non-formal nights. Nowhere did she ask "advice and opinions".

Says WHO?

Your opinion does not match the HAL dress code. Maybe you need to find a cruise line with a dress code that matches your prefered style?

I should have known better than to get involved in a thread on dress code. My bad. But... I did put a clip from the HAL website in my post above and it says nothing of jeans. Just slacks. So my point was if I were going to wear jeans I would try to dress them up a bit with a blazer. It's just my opinion. Sadly I fear that it will eventually be shorts, jersies and caps because that's what people want. I just think it's a slippery slope.

Please known I mean no offense to those with differing opinions.

it is my understanding that one can wear jeans nice or not in the dinning room that is my honest and nicest responds

Of course, he will be wearing coat and tie with those jeans right? :p Should be okay as a package. Also surprised to hear you say Princess was way more expensive than HAL -thought they were in similar price categories along with Celebrity with only a few premium level cabin differences.

a 7-day Princess N. West coast cruise in Oct is 2x the amount of the cruise we're leaving on this weekend (and that includes the up-sale!)

Archived