Beringer White Zin

Baronent

DISGUSTING! I stopped drinking that sugar water when I was 15 years old! Ok, not 15, maybe 20, but you get the point. So, I am on Valor this coming Sunday and I decided to take a look at the "Bon Voyage" site. No WONDER people want to smuggle liquor onto the ships. $30 for a bottle of Beringer WHITE ZIN???!!! What is Carnival smoking! At most, that is a $4 bottle. I can understand POSSIBLY a $15 up charge, but $26? For a white zin no less? I think Carnival has a drinking problem....

DISGUSTING! I stopped drinking that sugar water when I was 15 years old! Ok, not 15, maybe 20, but you get the point. So, I am on Valor this coming Sunday and I decided to take a look at the "Bon Voyage" site. No WONDER people want to smuggle liquor onto the ships. $30 for a bottle of Beringer WHITE ZIN???!!! What is Carnival smoking! At most, that is a $4 bottle. I can understand POSSIBLY a $15 up charge, but $26? For a white zin no less? I think Carnival has a drinking problem....

I don't drink it but at my local CVS, when it's on sale it is 3 for $10.

Carnival is trying to rob people blind with this one! :eek:

Toni

I don't drink it but at my local CVS, when it's on sale it is 3 for $10.

Carnival is trying to rob people blind with this one! :eek:

Toni

The size bottle you get on the ship is at least $8 in NY at a discount liquor store.

Don't really understand why the op cares if it's not good enough for them

It is a rip-off.

DW drinks a lot of wine, and at $7.00 a glass it adds up to a hefty S&S bill after every cruise.

Pricing is not comparable to US prices - look at how much Malibu is through BV, for example.

You should consider bringing wine and/or a wine package.

Pricing is not comparable to US prices - look at how much Malibu is through BV, for example.

You should consider bringing wine and/or a wine package.

I would agree. Bring your own wine and if it's not enough go the wine package on board. As I recall, they do have a Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc (NZ) that's okay for a lower priced wine and a Columbia Crest Merlot, which isn't too shabby either (Sideways dis not withstanding:p)

Re OP's comment about White Zin being sugar water. The only difference between white zin and zin is that in making white zin the peels are removed from the fermenting. Same grape. Some folks confuse the color means the taste is analogous to Mateus, the Portuguese sweet frizzante of those halcyon days when panhandling earned a few extra $ and you didn't have to buy Annie Green Spring.:)

Agree that Beringer WZ is overpriced and wouldn't be my first choice, but there are many alternative wines available on board that might be more to your taste.

Some of the inexpensive (at least on shore) Chilean wines on the ship are pretty good. The markup is just as high but you won't feel as bad paying the surcharge.

Just don't make the mistake I made at the wine bar on Triumph last month. Mr. Fancypants here asked the server to give me a glass of something "very good" without asking the price first.

At first I thought it was quite tasty, but when I saw I was signing for a $24 glass of red I almost spit it out.

Cali wine prices are different than the rest of the Country. I grew up in Cali and moved to Kansas 10 years ago, I was initially shocked at the wine prices. What you would pay $4 a bottle for in Cali, you would be paying right at $9 a bottle here. So the OP is correct in her pricing of Berringer (which is on the low end).

s m u g g l e !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't carnival allow a bottle of wine per passenger without having to"smuggle" it onboard?

Who drinks Beringer anyway? (that and Sutter Home).

Doesn't carnival allow a bottle of wine per passenger without having to"smuggle" it onboard?

Exactly.

Who drinks Beringer anyway? That's the cheapest, trashiest wine (well, that and Sutter Home).

Huh? You must be referring to their California Collection. Ever had their private reserve selection? Some of the best in Napa.

Re OP's comment about White Zin being sugar water. The only difference between white zin and zin is that in making white zin the peels are removed from the fermenting. Same grape. Some folks confuse the color means the taste is analogous to Mateus, the Portuguese sweet frizzante of those halcyon days when panhandling earned a few extra $ and you didn't have to buy Annie Green Spring.:)

It's more than the skins being removed. The way White Zin is made there is more sugar left in the fermentation process that isn't converted to alcohol making the wine sweeter than the dry red fully fermented variety.

I tried the Fetzer Red Zinfandel on the Carnival Liberty last week. It was very good for a light/medium wine. It is definitely not as sweet as the Beringer White Zin. The Fetzer Red Zin goes nicely with everything: beef, chicken or fish. Give it a try.

I am not a drinker, so to be sociable I drink white zinfandel. For the cruise, I purchase the little carry pack of four little bottles The bottles are plastic so no worry about glass and it's sooooo easy to fit the little bottles in tiny places in your suitcase.

Sutter Home has a MUCH nicer WZ than Beringers! Beringer's is too sweet. And I've been buying the big, double bottles of SH for $5.97....what a bargain! Even Total Wine isn't beating that price.

Wine is soooooo overpriced on the ships (and restaurants)...that's why I stick to Vodka tonics....more BANG for your buck!

I happen to like the sweeter wines, so I like white zen. A bottle of berringers here at the liquor store (can't buy wine anywhere else) is 9-10 dollars.

Ripoff. If you're sailing out of FL wait until you get here to buy it. Total Wine price $4.47 for Beringer White Zin 750ml.

Archived