Second Upsell Fairy Visit, Same Cruise!

mcduck

Just got a call from the upsell fairy with an offer of $199USD/person to move to an SA from the SY we have booked for our Feb 01 Panama Sunfarer cruise. Took the offer this time without a second thought. This will be my wife's "retirement cruise", so it will be a nice perk to have as part of the celebration.

The upsell fairy had called last Friday and offered the same upsell for $449USD/person, so patience has paid off.

Of course, after experiencing the "suite life", we may never be able to go to another category!

Just got a call from the upsell fairy with an offer of $199USD/person to move to an SA from the SY we have booked for our Feb 01 Panama Sunfarer cruise. Took the offer this time without a second thought. This will be my wife's "retirement cruise", so it will be a nice perk to have as part of the celebration.

The upsell fairy had called last Friday and offered the same upsell for $449USD/person, so patience has paid off.

Of course, after experiencing the "suite life", we may never be able to go to another category!

See were you are Canadian, had this happen to us on our Bermuda cruise quoted US$ alot less than Can$ but wouldn't take US$ did you have any problem with the exchange? Now it is at par but it doesn't seem to matter. We are going on same cruse Feb 11 and have SY too, so would like that upsell. Thanks

Great upsell, good for you. I would have paid the first price, but it doesn't matter. I got upsold once and now I'm 'doomed' to the suite life.

enjoy your cruise and the suite life :)

Congratulations :) I agree Great Upsell. Yes this sometimes happens, I have even seen a third offer but that has only been on the Oosterdam for Mexican Riviera. That first offer was a bit too high but I am sure HAL was testing the waters so to speak and to see what the market would bare. For the Caribbean pricing for these upcoming Spring months prices are not reducing and mainly because cruises are selling despite the high cost of air for many to get to Florida. Spring Break cruises actually started to sell earlier than last year. I think as we get into late February and March we will not be hearing about as many Upsell offers :o

Another itinerary selling very well this year is Alaska, last year there were lots of great prices for May into early June with lots of great prices for Upsells, May and June Alaska and Alaska Cruise Tours are selling well for this year with prices a few hundred dollars more so if anyone is expecting bargains for upsells I would not be counting on it.

Hi MAHLO,

If the original booking was made and paid using CDN$, than all upsells will be priced/charged in CDN$. In an odd HAL policy, they will not accept a payment from our TA using their US$ credit card, but will accept a cheque (The agent just gives HAL a cheque number and tells them it is in the mail). The upsell from HAL was $199 USD and $219 CDN. Given that the CDN$ is currently trading at a premium to the US$ that is a bit of an insult to anyone that booked in CDN$.

Part of the reason is because the cruise lines buy currency futures to lock in their prices, but mostly because they can!

We are fortunate in that we are able to buy USD$ when the price is right ,and keep the funds in a high interest e-savings account. My TA books in USD when appropriate and I pay the TA in USD.

Can we ask you to buy Lottery tickets for us today?

Nice going, congratulations!

With that kind of luck that's an excellent idea.

So...$50 million ...split how many ways? (Maybe all the members that post on this thread!)

Congratulations Mcduck, great upsell. Enjoy the Suite Life.

Hi MAHLO,

If the original booking was made and paid using CDN$, than all upsells will be priced/charged in CDN$. In an odd HAL policy, they will not accept a payment from our TA using their US$ credit card, but will accept a cheque (The agent just gives HAL a cheque number and tells them it is in the mail). The upsell from HAL was $199 USD and $219 CDN. Given that the CDN$ is currently trading at a premium to the US$ that is a bit of an insult to anyone that booked in CDN$.

Part of the reason is because the cruise lines buy currency futures to lock in their prices, but mostly because they can!

We are fortunate in that we are able to buy USD$ when the price is right ,and keep the funds in a high interest e-savings account. My TA books in USD when appropriate and I pay the TA in USD.

Many Thanks for the answer when we were offered in May it was US$ 449 and Can$719 so no way was that fair and May our money wasn't that far off. Enjoy your cruise and like you say not likely will go back to just a veranda....

We were offered the same thing on a MR cruise in December on our first SY--we took it, SY to SA. Holy moly. We just booked an SY for Alaska, and do not know how we are going to stand walking by the Neptune Lounge without being able to go in... Enjoy!

Archived