Question for a moderator

Bridge Maven

I know we are not allowed to comment on the grammatical or spelling errors of another poster. However, is it okay to make a joke if a spelling error implies a different meaning? For example, someone had posted four fathers when he meant forefathers. I was tempted to jokingly respond that I think there were more than four founding fathers but I didn't know if that would be a violation. BTW - in real life good friends joke around like that all the time.

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

buy

Any mouse

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

buy

Any mouse

LOL....:D

Thanks so much, derf!

I know we are not allowed to comment on the grammatical or spelling errors of another poster. However, is it okay to make a joke if a spelling error implies a different meaning? For example, someone had posted four fathers when he meant forefathers. I was tempted to jokingly respond that I think there were more than four founding fathers but I didn't know if that would be a violation. BTW - in real life good friends joke around like that all the time.

Well, until a mod answers--

As long as you make it clear that you're just having a little fun with an unintentional boo-boo and it doesn't appear that you're attempting to ridicule the poster, I think it's okay. Everyone produces a typo, a misspelling or an unintended malaprop every once in a while, and if someone can turn it into a smile for others without the likelihood of causing pain, why not?

A little off subject, but does anyone know why a person is not allowed to go back into an older post (days, weeks, forever) and edit it? I am a member of several boards (nearly all non-travel related) and they all allow unlimited access to the OP for edits at anytime. Sure is nice to be able to go back and make corrections or updates if needed.

A little off subject, but does anyone know why a person is not allowed to go back into an older post (days, weeks, forever) and edit it? I am a member of several boards (nearly all non-travel related) and they all allow unlimited access to the OP for edits at anytime. Sure is nice to be able to go back and make corrections or updates if needed.

I think it has to do with the issue that many subsequent posts on a thread address comments in previous posts on that thread. There would be no easy way to allow edits for simple typos, but not allow edits that would make significant changes to the actual substance of the post. Some threads would become strange if the OP made substantial changes to their initial post after several people had already commented on the point/issue.

I think it has to do with the issue that many subsequent posts on a thread address comments in previous posts on that thread. There would be no easy way to allow edits for simple typos, but not allow edits that would make significant changes to the actual substance of the post. Some threads would become strange if the OP made substantial changes to their initial post after several people had already commented on the point/issue.

Reasonable assumptions. It would be nice if the "edit window" was at least expanded to a time limit more than what it is now (is it now just a few minutes??). I would think 24 hours would be reasonable. I know that I have had posts that I wish that I could have corrected; even within a few minutes of the original post. As previously mentioned, I am a member of about a dozen boards that are almost all hi-tech boards and unlimited editing is very helpful.

Reasonable assumptions. It would be nice if the "edit window" was at least expanded to a time limit more than what it is now (is it now just a few minutes??). I would think 24 hours would be reasonable. I know that I have had posts that I wish that I could have corrected; even within a few minutes of the original post. As previously mentioned, I am a member of about a dozen boards that are almost all hi-tech boards and unlimited editing is very helpful.

Currently one has a 15 minute window to make edits to a post. IMHO twenty four hours would be far too long as Cruise Critic is a very active site; oftentimes a post has dozens of responses within 24 hours and most threads die within 24 hours. I think the current system is fine; if people want to proofread their posts they should do so prior to clicking "submit" or within several minutes of doing so.

I would consider the source. There are a number of regulars on the boards who frequently kid around and you know they would not only be fine with it but would enjoy it.

With a first time poster, I probably would not say anything because it could be perceived as implied criticism or that you are making fun of the person, even though you did not intend it that way.

My BIG complaint? The misuse of there, their and they're. That mistake is rampant everywhere, not just CC. I think we need to go back to teaching grammar rather than that terrible Whole Language crud.

And don't get me started on the texting shorthand. R U 4 that?????

My BIG complaint? The misuse of there, their and they're. That mistake is rampant everywhere, not just CC. I think we need to go back to teaching grammar rather than that terrible Whole Language crud.

Homophone Worksheets

from

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/homophones.html

I don't disagree with you, but I certainly wouldn't feel 'entertained' by another poster correcting my grammar. Inadvertent funny misspellings are one thing, and I think can be mentioned as long as it is clear that it is a 'laughing with you, not at you' situation.

I don't disagree with you, but I certainly wouldn't feel 'entertained' by another poster correcting my grammar. Inadvertent funny misspellings are one thing, and I think can be mentioned as long as it is clear that it is a 'laughing with you, not at you' situation.

I've never corrected anyone on these boards, but as a former teacher, some things just drive me batty.

Kitty, I'm w/ you 100%. My grown kids call me the grammar police and say they've become G.P.'s themselves. The one that drives me crazy is "I'm going to LOOSE weight." Really? Can I tighten it up for you? Oh there are so many and a lot of it is my being uptight about it. In my mind I correct spelling errors, but like you, I'd never correct someone on the boards. It's certainly not my place. So I grin and "BARE" it! LOL

Hi ~ unfortunately, the difference between joking with someone in person (where they can hear you and see your facial expessions) and a message board is often you are responding to a stranger. They may or may not know you are joking. Making fun of others spelling errors is actually a violation of our community guidelines.

Here's the wording from our guidelines:

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

So please refrain from posting on spelling/grammatical errors. We all do it at some point. Thanks for your understanding.

Archived