Questions about carrying/getting euros

DanaJW

We are sailing on the Equinox this summer. What is the best way to get euros, which we will need for many things, especially our tours? Should we get some in the U.S. before we sail just to start us off? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

You may feel comfortable getting a small amount of euro before you go, but it's easy to use ATMs to get most of the euro you need once you arrive. Here's an ongoing discussion with a lot of good info on using ATMs in Europe on the Italy board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1344903

Not sure I understand the other poster's trust issues. There's no less reason to trust a European bank ATM than one in the US, but maybe some people just aren't used to using them at all.

Remember that you never should carry around more money than you absolutely need on a given day. Leave any non-essential credit cards (store cards, etc) at home and leave extra cash in your safe onboard.

Here's the issue for me. I've booked several private tours, etc. that will run about $E 5,000. I can't imagine running around to ATMs trying to put together enough cash through withdrawals from ATMs. So, I'll take the cash from home, lock up in the safe won't I don't need for the day. While traveling, I'll split up the cash between my wife and I and have it in several different places to minimize risk.

Here's the issue for me. I've booked several private tours, etc. that will run about $E 5,000. I can't imagine running around to ATMs trying to put together enough cash through withdrawals from ATMs. So, I'll take the cash from home, lock up in the safe won't I don't need for the day. While traveling, I'll split up the cash between my wife and I and have it in several different places to minimize risk.

And that is what we have done.

I have to admit, I generally DIY or at most take one private tour when I can't figure out how to do something on my own, so I never had to deal with such large sums. :eek:

The trust thing, is being 10,000 miles from home, in a foreign country, not speaking the foreign language. If your card gets swallowed by an ATM at home, you can walk inside the bank and you have the time necessary to get your card back. If you are on a day trip to a location and that ATM swallows your card, you are stuck without a card. Then imagine the hassel of trying to deal long distance to get that card back, close the account, etc.

I don't use ATMs at home much, and I sure wouldn't use one overseas. My debit card usually stays home. I did have a Capital One credit card that went with me, as well as one other card, so if there were problems I had a back-up.

I took my cash in US $, then found a bank in the various ports to exchange my money. May not be the BEST way, but it was the way I felt safest. And I actually got the best rate at a bank on Corfu. The going rate was $1.57 to 1 EUR, but at that bank I was amazed to get $1.26, thinking the rate had changed drastically in the 3 weeks we were gone. But when I checked at the airport, the rate had only dropped to $1.50.

We did purchase a small packet of EURO from AAA here, to cover that first day's expenses. And I have even used the airport exchange when first landing in a country, to cover that first day's expenses.

I've had too many bad experiences with not having the local cash, that I now like to get some before leaving home.

And even though Traveler's Checks aren't readily accepted everywhere anymore, you could still take them and cash them on the ship or in your hotel or at a bank. You would probably pay a fee, but what is the safety worth to you. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Have a great cruise!

The trust thing, is being 10,000 miles from home, in a foreign country, not speaking the foreign language. If your card gets swallowed by an ATM at home, you can walk inside the bank and you have the time necessary to get your card back.

You can do the same thing if you are using an ATM at a bank in a foreign country. In most any area frequented by tourists, you will find at least one person in the bank who speaks English -- after all, they generally exchange money for tourists as well.

If you are on a day trip to a location and that ATM swallows your card, you are stuck without a card.

You can ask your bank to give you a second card for your account. You can either choose to keep it with you in a secure location or leave it in your cabin safe in case of need.

Then imagine the hassel of trying to deal long distance to get that card back, close the account, etc.

Most banks have a number that you can call collect (toll-free calls do not work in Europe so be sure you get the right number) and they will take care of your issue promptly. When my wallet was stolen in Barcelona, it took me under 2 hours to cancel 2 credit cards and my debit card. And by the way, the amount that was fraudulently taken out of my account was restored in 24 hours.

See my responses above. As I said in the first place, people who really aren't that comfortable using an ATM at home seem to be those with trust issues. For those who use them pretty exclusively at home and while traveling, there is nothing to fear....

WE ALWAYS get most of our Euros before we leave. I keep and eye out how the euros change in price and buy prior to the trip, I also never exchange them back, save them for next visit.

We had issues last time in Sept. with my credit card, I wanted to get a "little extra to be safe" I tried several times to get cash and my card claimed we didn't have correct PIN even though I checked before we left the states. DO NOT leave home without some euros, you need more than you think you will!!! :D:D

If you are on a day trip to a location and that ATM swallows your card, you are stuck without a card.

The answer is not to travel with only one ATM card. For peace of mind, you should have separate bank accounts at home, each with its own ATM card. Then if you should lose one card and have to freeze that account, you still have access to a separate account with its own ATM card.

The separate acconts could be both joint accounts, or one joint and one in DW or DH's name alone, or one in DH's name and one in DW's name. And, of course, each person carries a different card, not both cards, so if your wallet is stolen, only one card is gone and the other person has the other card.

I am one that thinks the ATM in Europe is the way to go! If you use the ATM at home you can also have a machine swallow, be at ATM without bank attached so "no one" to ask in any language and it is still a pain in the tooka if your wallet gets stolen and you have close accounts etc. It is no more difficult to do this long distance than it is to do it from home. I would bet it is the same place.

A couple of tips from my experiences in Europe and Asia.

Carry different cards to give you more opportunities. On the back of the card there is a symbol of the "system" it belongs to for example : Star and Plus. Some countries seem to be dominated by one system over the other depending on which local bank is dominate. If card is rejected try an ATM from another bank.

I carry 4 cards: Mastercard, Visa, Visa debit card (plumb up that checking account so enough to cover) and sometimes s 2nd Visa. My friend has a Discover card which does not seem to do so well. American Express seems to do OK.

If you can not get English on the ATM don't panic! You pretty much know the format and it is the same in other languages just a different set of letters. Try what you think will work from home machines and if it isn't CANCEL will give you another try. What a thrill when the Visa sign played the little song and gave me kroner in a non-tourist area of Oslo and I was alone with not one word of Norweigian.

So many professionals (bank, hotel, restaurants, store clerks,) speak English "just a little bit" that probably can work it out if a problem. Your chanches of having someone speak English in Europe is much better than your chanch of having any other language in US.

I have found in the last 2 years that many places have no desire to take traveler's checks and banks charge a fee to cash them. Currency exchanges are going the same way as traveler's checks and pay phones -- just are not available. I live in the suburbs of Washington DC and I can not buy Euros in my town. (90,000 people). Buying Euros means a trip to AAA and paying bad rates plus fees. I will take my chanches on ATMS.

They connect to Travelwallet and it comes direct from my account thru a debit card. Most wailing walls have a $ limit per day and if you use a creditt or even a debit card there can be several transaction and exchange fees attached. You will never get the lower interbank rate posted on exchange web sites. I had them in 2 days by Fedex.

Bring 2 ATM Cards from 2 separate accounts. With 2 ATM cards you can get twice your daily limit. All airports have ATM's when you arrive.

In Europe, Capital One credit card charges no fees-charge everything you can.

Lots of good and wise comments made on this thread by Cynthia and others. Having a second, back-up card is good and smart. We've always used the ATM's and things have worked out well. Agree, also that in most banks, inside, there will be a staff member with some English who can help you, if, if and if there's a problem. Carrying too much cash or euros could be a problem, too. Nothing is perfect, BUT, in most cases, it all works out fine with reasonable planning and prep.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I am with those who take two different debit cards. We also take two credit cards, but only use them for large purchases and to have for emergencies. We also have the emergency numbers to call ready at hand and available on email.

We have been all over Europe, in South America and Turkey with no problems at all.

This has been discussed in numerous threads.

My common sense, lots of euros like 5000-10000 euros just get it at your bank. Yeah you suck some fees, but if you are spending that much you better be able to afford it :D People are crazy to suggest bring 3 to 4 atm cards and max out your daily/bank limits. Using ATMs isn't without risk. I'm not a fan of ATMs with all the fraud possibilities these days. You are on vacation you want to use your valuable touring time stopping at ATMs?

For a few Euros, like a couple hundred and topping off. Of course ATMs are great, but don't forget that with the great exchange you got the bank fees that add up quickly to a large percentage of the 200-400 Euros you are pulling out.

As to carrying 10,000 euros. Get a body belt for the airport and put it in your cabin/hotel safe. Its not like in the airport you'll get your body belt stripped off you. I agree a 1/4" stack of bills isn't comfortable. Just don't walk around late at night with it on your body.

See my responses above. As I said in the first place, people who really aren't that comfortable using an ATM at home seem to be those with trust issues. For those who use them pretty exclusively at home and while traveling, there is nothing to fear....

Well cruisemom, I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue in Barcelona.

I on the other hand had my ATM card kept at my Credit Union on a Friday. We have every other Friday off, so I was without my card all weekend long. Then retrieved it on Monday. Try doing that on a one day port stop in a foreign destination.

We all have our preferences.

The answer is not to travel with only one ATM card. For peace of mind, you should have separate bank accounts at home, each with its own ATM card. Then if you should lose one card and have to freeze that account, you still have access to a separate account with its own ATM card.

The separate acconts could be both joint accounts, or one joint and one in DW or DH's name alone, or one in DH's name and one in DW's name. And, of course, each person carries a different card, not both cards, so if your wallet is stolen, only one card is gone and the other person has the other card.

Sounds good, but I wasn't traveling with my DH. He always carries cash, so that would solve the problem if I were with him. But when I travel with a friend, we each have our own source of funds.

I don't have two bank accounts or debit cards. I have one debit card and one credit card.

Well cruisemom, I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue in Barcelona.

I on the other hand had my ATM card kept at my Credit Union on a Friday. We have every other Friday off, so I was without my card all weekend long. Then retrieved it on Monday. Try doing that on a one day port stop in a foreign destination.

Yes, but there are other options out there besides whatever credit union you use. I wouldn't choose to bank with an institution that wasn't reachable 24/7 in some sort of emergency situation! Plus, as I said in my post, I carry an extra debit card for my account. The bank I use had no problem giving me one.

Many people on these boards have posted that they have opened accounts specifically for their travel abroad for the ease of being able to obtain money abroad. It doesn't have to be linked to any other account, and you needn't put more money in it than you feel necessary, so there is little risk if someone accesses it.

And finally, when my wallet was stolen in Barcelona, I was luckily wise enough to have heeded the advice of others on these and other travel boards. I had put aside one credit card and some extra cash in my hotel safe, so actually it wouldn't have mattered if the machine ate my card.

I cannot believe that some people will actually advise other cruisers to walk around with 10.000 Euros in cash! In other threads, the question always seems to come up why so many Americans are targeted by pickpockets in European cities, whilst most European posters wonder why they never have been a victim. That is because we would never walk around with that kind of money! We use ATMs and bankcards for everything in Europe. I love the story "yeh, but I put it in the safe". Somebody seems to forget that you have to take all that money with you to your airport, board a plane with it, walk around a foreign airport with it, get to your hotel or cruise ship, etc. That is a lot of exposure you are risking. The first thing that happened when we went backpacking in Thailand is that an ATM swallowed our card. One phone call and it was resolved. I would rather have that than losing 10.000 Euro to some low-life.

Not saying to carry $10,000 in cash. But that would be a good instance for travelers checks and either cash them on-board or find a bank once ashore.

I'm just old fashioned enough to not like ATMs or Ipads, or iPods, or all of the new technology.

I travel to Europe maybe once in 4 or 5 years. I'm certainly not going to open a specific bank account just to have a 2nd debit card to take with me. My financial institution of choice is a credit union with a branch office right at my job facility. Really handy to use an "indoor" ATM, but not so handy on the off Friday that some workers are part of.

I did get a Capital One credit card for my travels there without the conversion rate, but have since closed that account too.

Believe it or not, I used to get cash for each country we were visiting. Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany was fun trying to keep all the money and change straight, so we knew which money was for which country. And Italy, Greece & Hungary, we felt like millionaires when we exchanged money there. You would get like 1700 Lira to $1, of course it was worthless, but lots of bills. But ALAS the ERUO popped it's ugly head up and spoiled all the fun.

For those that feel safe using an ATM abroad, go for it. I choose not to, and isn't it great that we can all make our own travel choices.

OP, have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.

I also bank at a credit union. There is no charge and no fees to have a second account open and linked to your primary account. I keep low funds in the account and "feed" it before I go on a trip. I also make sure the related ATM pin number hasn't been "frozen" for lack of use before I leave. So use it a couple of times before you leave home and do notify the CU of the countries you are going.

Frankly, using travelers checks is just having let the world pass you by. You will have great difficulty and great fees cashing them. Nostalgia is romantic, but not practical.

Frankly, using travelers checks is just having let the world pass you by. You will have great difficulty and great fees cashing them. Nostalgia is romantic, but not practical.

The last time I tried to cash travellers cheques was in Barcelona in 1993, already then with great difficulties. Nobody in Europe takes them anymore.

UKBayern,

You might find this interesting. The Europeans have always been in the vanguard of credit card technology. We lived in Europe in the early 1980s. At that time, you could already use credit cards at the gasoline (petrol) pumps, especially in France. It was many years after that before the technology was in use in the US. You might remeber this from your time in Amsterdam.

Archived