Mariner Society points question

bonafidebeachbum

When does HAL credit you with your pre-cruise spending? When your cruise is fully paid or at the end of your actual cruise?

What if your Mariner status changes part way through your cruise?

I believe on some Grand Voyage blogs it was mentioned that their Mariner status was upgraded during their cruise, entitling them to more of a discount on-board.

Perhaps that only applies to a world cruise or segment?

Deen

When does HAL credit you with your pre-cruise spending? When your cruise is fully paid or at the end of your actual cruise?
About 4 to 5 days after the cruise, because there's no way for them to know your total until the cruise ends.

I believe on some Grand Voyage blogs it was mentioned that their Mariner status was upgraded during their cruise, entitling them to more of a discount on-board.

Perhaps that only applies to a world cruise or segment?

Deen

Yes, that's true only on GVs. I'm not sure if you're only doing a segment. From the FAQs:

Q: If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

A: For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Edited by jtl513

About 4 to 5 days after the cruise, because there's no way for them to know your total until the cruise ends.

Yes, that's true only on GVs. I'm not sure if you're only doing a segment. From the FAQs:

Q: If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

A: For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Thank you!

Sadly, not a GV or a segment but still a cruise.:):)

I know that on one of our cruises we didn't get that extra point -- we had spent $1175 -- got only 3 points.

You never know how HAL determines things.

Sometimes I think HAL uses a ouija board to determine who gets the extra point and who doesn't.

Apologies in advance if I'm incorrect, but I BELIEVE that should have been rounded up because of how close it was (Obviously $901.00 would be a different story) Call the Mariner Society and inquire.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is the case, but apologies in advance if I'm incorrect. It doesn't hurt to ask though :)

Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is the case, but apologies in advance if I'm incorrect. It doesn't hurt to ask though :)
But like KK said, once you're over 200, the bonus days mean nothing since they don't count toward medallions or anything else.

Apologies in advance if I'm incorrect, but I BELIEVE that should have been rounded up because of how close it was (Obviously $901.00 would be a different story) Call the Mariner Society and inquire.

It really doesn't matter as the point collecting for us is meaningless at this point.

Not worth the hassle since -- as I said -- it is meaningless for anyone over 200 days.

If I book a 14-day CruiseTour (which looks like 13 nights) do I get 14 days credit or 13? The reason I ask is that I am very close to 4 star mariner and 1 day could make a difference. I am also estimating how much I might spend on board to get credits and don't want to have to spend an extra $300.

If I book a 14-day CruiseTour (which looks like 13 nights) do I get 14 days credit or 13? The reason I ask is that I am very close to 4 star mariner and 1 day could make a difference. I am also estimating how much I might spend on board to get credits and don't want to have to spend an extra $300.

A 20 day cruise will give you 20 credits (but you normally have 20 nights - at least we do on our upcoming one) - is your CruiseTour called a 14 day? If so, IMO you will get the 14 credits (but it would also be 14 nights).

If it is 13 nights -- then you get only 13 points.

Why do you say it looks like 13 but they call if 14?

The day you join it, is day one, the day you leave is day 14. With the cruise, the day you board, you are normally there in time for lunch and, of course, dinner. Day One.

The morning you leave, you are there for breakfast, therefore, day 14. When combining the two meals you had on the day you boarded with the breakfastt you have the day you leave, you've had three meals.

Edited by sail7seas

As you can see by the posts following yours -- there seems to be some confusion.

How long is the cruise itself?

How long is the land portion?

I am considering buying some obc's for our Prisendam cruise so that we don't have a big bill at then end. I know the other stuff purchased counts towards Mariner days, and I would think that this would?

I have searched the HAL website but couldn't see an answer.

It's important because this cruise will take us to 4 star and the applicable discounts. anyone know for sure or should I email to HAL to make sure.

seems to me it should, but :confused::confused: thanks so much,

and sorry for the silly question :o

I am considering buying some obc's for our Prisendam cruise so that we don't have a big bill at then end. I know the other stuff purchased counts towards Mariner days, and I would think that this would?

I have searched the HAL website but couldn't see an answer.

It's important because this cruise will take us to 4 star and the applicable discounts. anyone know for sure or should I email to HAL to make sure.

seems to me it should, but :confused::confused: thanks so much,

and sorry for the silly question :o

Yes, the OBCs count ... but if you reach 200 credit-days during this cruise you won't get those benefits until the next cruise. See post #28.

Yes, the OBCs count ... but if you reach 200 credit-days during this cruise you won't get those benefits until the next cruise. See post #28.

Thank you VERY much John. I realize we won't be there til our next cruise. No worries or expectations - I just wanted to make sure - trying to budget :)

Thank you again. As always, a fountain of knowledge and much appreciated. :D:D

Edited by kazu

The brochure calls it a "14-day" CruiseTour. Cruise part is 7 days, followed by land tour.

Day 1 of the cruise (embarkation) is a Sunday. Day 8 (Sunday) we disembark the ship and start land tour. Day 14 (Saturday) tour ends and we fly home.

If I buy obc to make up the difference and don't use it all, does the total still count? Will I get a refund of the difference?

Thanks for all your help.

The brochure calls it a "14-day" CruiseTour. Cruise part is 7 days, followed by land tour.

Day 1 of the cruise (embarkation) is a Sunday. Day 8 (Sunday) we disembark the ship and start land tour. Day 14 (Saturday) tour ends and we fly home.

Thanks, now I understand! :p

And before somebody asks: we did get cruise-day credits for the land portion of our cruise-tour, just as if they were days aboard the ship.

If I buy obc to make up the difference and don't use it all, does the total still count? Will I get a refund of the difference?

Yes you will get a refund, and no, the total doesn't count. On our last cruise we missed two ports and got refunds for pre-paid HAL excursions, so that didn't count as on-board spending. Edited by jtl513

Thank you -- I thought that was the case -- some people here thought you were on the ship for the entire 14 days -- they didn't understand that a land tour was involved with the cruise.

That's a 13-day cruise/tour. What you are calling Saturday, day 14 doesn't count as a day. It's someone else's day 1.

It may be easier to understand if you think of a 7-day cruise as starting on a Sunday and ending on a Sunday. You are aboard the ship on portions of 8 days, but only for 7 full days.

From the FAQs:

For Holland America Line Alaska and Yukon cruisetours, a cruise day credit is granted for total tour days, including days touring on land. Pre and Post cruise packages are excluded. Cruise Day credits are non-transferable.

It may be easier to understand if you think of a 7-day cruise as starting on a Sunday and ending on a Sunday. You are aboard the ship on portions of 8 days, but only for 7 full days.
Right ... on a "7 day cruise" they really counting nights, so embarkation day is night 1 and the Saturday night before debarkation is 7 ... but yet Batinfla says "The brochure calls it a "14-day" CruiseTour." :confused: :confused: Edited by jtl513

• 5 years later...

Been trying to follow some of these posts but must be getting to old/tired.

Doing a 20 Day "cruisetour" 13 on land 7 onboard in a Vista Suite.

I know that we will get Mariner points per day x2 for the sea period but do we get them as well for the land portion, From what I've read seems we do, so in rough terms 7 x2, plus 13 for a total (approx) 27.

Just wondering if as we're in a suite if the land portion is also at double points??

Cheers Tom & Maureen