Showing up a the port and getting a great deal?

andy1

I suggested to some friends that we should just show up at the port on the day of a cruise and see if they would practically give us tickets for free...

Certainly, we would pay, but wouldn't they want even a small amount of money rather than have an empty room?

Thanks.

Sorry. That doesn't happen anymore since 9/11. You can call whichever cruiseline the day before or morning of and ask about cabin pricing. The major reason is home land security. You book via phone and if there is room, you will be able to board the ship. Don't be surprised if its not the deal you hoped for.

LOL, that isn't going to happen anymore. They have to turn over the passenger list to port security so many days before the cruise now. Before 9/11 this was possible, but afraid you are just going to have to turn around and go back home now, as they will not allow you to book the day of sailing now. Sorry!

LOL, that isn't going to happen anymore. They have to turn over the passenger list to port security so many days before the cruise now. Before 9/11 this was possible, but afraid you are just going to have to turn around and go back home now, as they will not allow you to book the day of sailing now. Sorry!

Actually the manifest is due 60 minutes prior to sailing time, not days before. However as the previous poster explained you cannot just show up to the port and book. It has to be done over the phone and it will not be for a deeply discounted price.

If you just showed up at the port there wouldn't be any way for you to get into the terminal. The Carnival shoreside agents that check you in have no ability to sell you a cruise, they can't even take your cash to secure your account with.

Can't just show up anymore. My friend's Dad retired to Delray Beach and nearly every weekend he would turn up in Ft Lauderdale to see if there was space. If there was he would just get on board. I don't remember exactly what he paid but I seem to recall that it was under $200. He used to tell his kids that it was cheaper than staying in his condo for a week! But that was all pre 9/11...alas!

Can't just show up anymore. My friend's Dad retired to Delray Beach and nearly every weekend he would turn up in Ft Lauderdale to see if there was space. If there was he would just get on board. I don't remember exactly what he paid but I seem to recall that it was under $200. He used to tell his kids that it was cheaper than staying in his condo for a week! But that was all pre 9/11...alas!

You're not helping........... ;):D

Myth.

Manifest is due 60 minutes prior to sailing. Yes, it is possible to book the same day as the sailing but you do have to call the cruise line. The cruise ship doesn't have access to the available cabin inventory among other reasons.

The price may or may not be a deal.

Ports with a number of cruise ships are probably the best bet, but don't expect to have a choice of itinerary, cruise ship, or even cruise line.

Actually the manifest is due 60 minutes prior to sailing time, not days before. However as the previous poster explained you cannot just show up to the port and book. It has to be done over the phone and it will not be for a deeply discounted price.

Myth.

Manifest is due 60 minutes prior to sailing. Yes, it is possible to book the same day as the sailing but you do have to call the cruise line. The cruise ship doesn't have access to the available cabin inventory among other reasons.

The price may or may not be a deal.

Ports with a number of cruise ships are probably the best bet, but don't expect to have a choice of itinerary, cruise ship, or even cruise line.

These answers are the correct ones. Federal law requires the manifest to sent electronically 60 minutes prior to sailing. That being said, many ports, for security reasons, will not let you inside the terminal without your boarding pass already printed.

You can always try and call the cruiseline to see if they will sell you a room the same day as the departing day and then print the boarding pass.

Ships go out full almost every sailing these days. If sail date approaches and they have empty cabins, they keep lowering the price until they sell them all. It is rare for there to be empty cabins.

Ships go out full almost every sailing these days. If sail date approaches and they have empty cabins, they keep lowering the price until they sell them all. It is rare for there to be empty cabins.

I have checked in the week before sail date and the price did not go down, it went up! I thought for sure they would want those cabins filled and about 4 days before the cruise they were sold out. The same thing happened this past December on Sapphire Princess, I watched to see if we could upgrade and all the balcony cabins sold out the very last day before I could call for a free (or pay) upgrade. I had a suspicion perhaps the cruiseline employees could do a friends/family special last minute.

There have been cruises where 2 months before the prices are reduced, then they have gone back up again. I was in the spa one time, talking with 2 younger couples, they were thrilled at their "last minute pricing", I did not have the heart to tell them I paid hundreds less for my balcony than they did for their inside cabins.

Actually the manifest is due 60 minutes prior to sailing time, not days before.

That's what I thought, since I booked a cruise on the Norwegian Dawn 13 days ahead of time in November of 2006. I got a very good deal. I eventually figured out that it cost less than if I had stayed at the Red Roof Inn and ate all of my meals at McDonald's.

As previously mentioned, you do have to call .. but you certainly can book the day of a cruise.. its a myth that people on CC keep repeating who dont have facts.

I have done it myself and know others who have also booked the day of a cruise. Wouldnt do it again, as I almost missed the ship while the booking got finalized. Had to wait until 10 am my time for my Carnival PVP to come in.

I have checked in the week before sail date and the price did not go down, it went up! I thought for sure they would want those cabins filled and about 4 days before the cruise they were sold out. The same thing happened this past December on Sapphire Princess, I watched to see if we could upgrade and all the balcony cabins sold out the very last day before I could call for a free (or pay) upgrade. I had a suspicion perhaps the cruiseline employees could do a friends/family special last minute.

There have been cruises where 2 months before the prices are reduced, then they have gone back up again. I was in the spa one time, talking with 2 younger couples, they were thrilled at their "last minute pricing", I did not have the heart to tell them I paid hundreds less for my balcony than they did for their inside cabins.

Chances are very good those are examples of the 'magic upgrade fairy' at work. :D

As cruise date nears, it is not unusual for them to offer those in some of the lower price cabins an 'upsell' for a lower price than they would have paid had they originally booked that cabin or they may give upgrades. Upgrades are not additional cost for a higher category cabin.

If they have vacant mini suites, suites or higher priced cabins, it is harder to sell them than lower priced cabins. That is when the upsells and upgrades 'kick in'. They have better chance of sell a cabin that costs $899 than one that costs 2,999, for example.

It was kind of you to not mention what you paid for your cabin to the 'happy couple'. We NEVER, NOt EVER discuss what we paid for our cruises with anyone. Why would we? No one's business. It can either make them feel really bad........ or make us feel really bad. :( It's a lose - lose IMO

It was explained to me (and the info could be wrong) that the manifest with all booked names and info is submitted a few days in advance, about the time the bookings drop off line. And that the Manifest submitted 60 min prior to sailing was pretty much to see who neglected to check in, and to use as a final tally if you will.

I don't know if that's more or less accurate then all the other info here, and I ain't gonna argue it.........

It was explained to me (and the info could be wrong) that the manifest with all booked names and info is submitted a few days in advance, about the time the bookings drop off line. And that the Manifest submitted 60 min prior to sailing was pretty much to see who neglected to check in, and to use as a final tally if you will.

I don't know if that's more or less accurate then all the other info here, and I ain't gonna argue it.........

Well, it looks like we were all wrong. The manifest must be submitted 15 minutes before sailing.

http://www.blankrome.com/index.cfm?contentID=37&itemID=58

Who knows.. there is supposedly one submitted 60 minutes before, but I boarded at 5 pm and we pulled from the dock within 30 minutes the one time I booked the day of the cruise.

It might have been because it was going to be a cruise to nowhere?? We did 3 days no ports, because a hurricane delayed the ship leaving.

But I had also been told I could book within the last 24 hours for a weekend cruise by RCL. It seems to be extra work to book that much last minute for the booking reps.

Cruise can not be booked at the pier . Even if you could book via phone on day of/day before the cruise , you may be paying more than you would have 30 - 60 days out . Cruise lines don't wait too long (usually right after final payment date ) to offer great "new booking only " rates on unsold cabins, if neccessary.

clarrification

what the law says and what the line has implemented to ensure they comply with the law are different things.

What IS true as that in my recent experiences you can not get into the terminal without proof of your contract - Sea Pass, Ticket, Magic Handshake or something. But I sure haven't sailed every port and/or every line. But nor have I seen a provision to handle money at the cruiseline checkin counters. MAYBE it exists.

SO OP ... do us all a favor and try it . . . .

What we need is a thread "How late did you book?"

I took a Disney 5 days out, when you could pickup your paperwork in the terminal. But my name did appear on a manifest they had at the port entrance else I would not have been allowed into the parking lot or the terminal, and this was b4 9/11

OTOH I know you can park in some lots of Port Canaveral with no documents (because the parking is beyond the safe minimum for port/ship safety) ... but getting past the terminal door ... well not this past November anyway.

What we need is a thread "How late did you book?"

I booked a RCL cruise late thursday night for the following Sunday. My name was NOT on the manifest and my papers said TBA for cabin!!! He refused to check my suitcase. Luckily I had someone with me to hold it. He made me go to the check in desk (who refused to let me in that section with my large suitcase).

Until I showed him my check in card and the paper with my cabin #, he wouldnt take the suitcase, was a pain. My Dad had been in the hospital and I drove him home and then came home and booked, I dont do late bookings on purpose. There were only two more sailing that spring of Voyager, so I jumped on it. They gave me late dining and the whole table was people who booked even later than I did. My cabin steward has us as a empty cabin too, and hadnt locked the connecting door.

I booked Carnival 4 and 8 days out. .. besides the one I booked the morning of a cruise I swore not to do again.

Well, it looks like we were all wrong. The manifest must be submitted 15 minutes before sailing.

http://www.blankrome.com/index.cfm?contentID=37&itemID=58

No..that 2005 rule is out of date. A revised rule was published in the Federal Register in August, 2007. 60 minutes in advance is correct. Here's the rule summary, from the Federal Register (see the part highlighted in red in the last paragraph):

http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/GPOgate.cgi?WAISdocID=lsrzEm/0/3/0&WAISaction=retrieve

[Federal Register: August 23, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 163)]

[Rules and Regulations]

[Page 48319-48345]

From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]

[DOCID:fr23au07-14]

[[Page 48319]]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Part II

Department of Homeland Security

Bureau of Customs and Border Protection

19 CFR Parts 4 and 122; 6 CFR Part 5

Advance Electronic Transmission of Passenger and Crew Member Manifests

for Commercial Aircraft and Vessels; Final Rule

Privacy Act of 1974: Customs and Border Protection Advanced Passenger

Information System of Records; Notice

Privacy Act of 1974: Implementation of Exemptions; Advanced Passenger

Information System; Proposed Rule

[[Page 48320]]

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Bureau of Customs and Border Protection

19 CFR Parts 4 and 122

[uSCBP-2005-0003; CBP Dec. 07-64]

RIN 1651-AA62

Advance Electronic Transmission of Passenger and Crew Member

Manifests for Commercial Aircraft and Vessels

AGENCY: Customs and Border Protection, DHS.

ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: This rule adopts as final, with the modifications set forth in

this document, proposed amendments to Customs and Border Protection

(CBP) regulations concerning electronic manifest transmission

requirements relative to travelers (passengers, crew members, and, in

some instances, non-crew members) onboard international commercial

flights and voyages arriving in and departing from the United States.

The rule is designed to enhance national security and the level of

security provided under the regulations for the commercial air and sea

travel industries, and consequently increase national security in

general. The rule also implements the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism

Prevention Act of 2004, which requires that electronic manifest

information for passengers onboard commercial aircraft arriving in and

departing from the United States, and passengers and crew onboard

arriving and departing commercial vessels (with certain exceptions), be

vetted by DHS against a government-established and maintained terrorist

watch list prior to departure of the aircraft or vessel.

Under this final rule, there are three options for air carriers to

transmit manifest data for aircraft departing from or en route to the

United States: Transmission of passenger manifests in batch form by an

interactive method no later than 30 minutes prior to the securing of

the aircraft doors (APIS 30); transmission of individual passenger

manifest information as each passenger checks in for the flight, up to,

but no later than, the time the flight crew secures the aircraft doors

(APIS interactive Quick Query or AQQ); and transmission of passenger

manifests in batch form by a non-interactive method no later than 30

minutes prior to the securing of the aircraft doors (APIS 30 ``non-

interactive'').

For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit

passenger and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United

States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure. For vessels

departing from foreign ports destined to arrive at a U.S. port, CBP is

retaining the current requirement to transmit passenger and crew

arrival manifest data at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours prior to the

vessel's entry at the U.S. port of arrival.

Archived