Thankyou thankyou thankyou HAL FYI

hoidada

Booked an inside I(large) guarantee on the Ryndam mid Nov 2010 for sail on b to b on Feb 13

just rec`d notice of cabin assigned which is an HH fully ostructed.

Same amenities in both categories but on different decks.Oh thankyou HAL........but I CAN`T SEE THE DIFFERENCE would have been happier in the inside.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry I was not specific in my post enough for your understanding.

It could be a play on words that leads to this issue.

My first post was on a previous b to b topic, you may want to read it.

This post is because of the wording HAL uses. GUARANTEE category means just that in my mind. I agreed to an iside CAT I decks 9 and 10 only to be issued an HH399(fully obstructed outside deck6 stern of the ship. Since you can obviously tell colors you might see my concern.This adds to my interpretation of Cruise Line games and yes I am almost a 3 star mariner.Thanks for your interest.:D:D:D:D

Guess I still don't understand what you are mad about.

If you wanted a inside cabin and did not want the chance of being moved, why didn't you book that way and ask for no upgrade?:eek:

I'm with you jghllnd, I don't understand the OP's dissatisfaction. If I'd gotten that assignment, my post would be full of :D :D :D s

OP, being "almost a three star mariner", I'm surprised you are surprised at being upgraded.

We booked the guarantee on a 35 day cruise last summer and just before we left for Boston found out we had been upgraded to an H, obstructed view. It was a wonderful upgrade for us.

It was at the very front, had 3 nice porthole windows and we could see outside, it let in light and because it was the very first cabin (for passengers) the washroom jutted out into the front. Very large bathroom, enormous shower. I believe the cabin was a handicap type cabin and we are not. The reason it would not have appealed to a really mobile impaired person, due to farther away from the elevators, it did have a longer walk.

The longer walk worked out great. Despite eating like a - well, overate on the cruise, I gained nothing at all. Not an ounce. After 35 days. Of course there was a lot of walking on the ports as well as you can see a lot more while walking.

Again, I was extremely happy with the large cabin and the windows, despite being portholes. Also had a huge window sill you could store stuff between the drapes and the wall.

Guaranteed Stateroom

Unfortunately, we are not able to guarantee stateroom location. Guests are guaranteed to be assigned a stateroom in the category selected or higher. Guests will be notified when their stateroom has been assigned

HAL is very specific that a Guarantee is a guarantee to be assigned to a cabin of the selected category or higher. And a HH is a higher category than an I

Not sure what cruise line games are being played here

There were zero insides available for booking at the time except Guaranteed I. Please explain the questionable upgrade mentioned.

I don`t consider a fully obstructed to a desired inside an upgrade. You might review the layout of the ship to understand my concern., and please do not belittle my legitimate post.

Just a question from a relatively Newbie to HAL,but not cruising.Will be going on our 20th cruise this March.Why do so many people expect an upgrade on HAL?The only upgrades I ever got was on Celebrity example if you book a cat 11 inside you get 1 higher category.If you book a cat 8 outside you get a 7. I would be so happy if I was offered and upgrade,but I surely don't expect one.I have also booked a ROS and got a nice room in the same category I choose.

Just a question from a relatively Newbie to HAL,but not cruising.Will be going on our 20th cruise this March.Why do so many people expect an upgrade on HAL?The only upgrades I ever got was on Celebrity example if you book a cat 11 inside you get 1 higher category.If you book a cat 8 outside you get a 7. I would be so happy if I was offered and upgrade,but I surely don't expect one.I have also booked a ROS and got a nice room in the same category I choose.[/quot

just my guess but I think a lot of people think if they take the guarantee they have the chance for something better. An upgrade to the next deck is not necessarily a better location. Mind you a free verandah is nice, but you can do the same thing booking and reserving your cabin number.:):)

Flaming probably coming, but I prefer to book a specific room and take the upsell. JMO:):)

hoidada--I hope you will learn to enjoy the upgrade to an HH cabin. We had one on the Amsterdam several years ago and really enjoyed it. You will be able to see to the outside lower promenade deck and beyond off to one side of the superstructure. Also, the HH cabins are so very convenient to the exit to the lower promenade deck. People will not be able to see into your cabin in the day time, but at night the window acts like any other window, so for privacy you will have to close the curtains.

The HH IS an upgrade from an I. Just think of it as an interior-priced cabin with a view! :D We consider the HHs to be a great value and they usually sell out very fast.

Have a great cruise! :)

Just a question from a relatively Newbie to HAL,but not cruising.Will be going on our 20th cruise this March.Why do so many people expect an upgrade on HAL?The only upgrades I ever got was on Celebrity example if you book a cat 11 inside you get 1 higher category.If you book a cat 8 outside you get a 7. I would be so happy if I was offered and upgrade,but I surely don't expect one.I have also booked a ROS and got a nice room in the same category I choose.

That's the chance you take with a guarentee. You could get an upgrade but you might not. There is no science to it. There are new posters that hear that someone got an amazing upgrade and they think they will too. I can tell you with over 200 days on HAL the amazing upgrades are few and far between.

:D

Just a question from a relatively Newbie to HAL,but not cruising...

A possibly idfferent perspective, but somewhat dated, perhaps. Years ago (1990s), HAL used to market what they called their "M class guarantee." M class is just about the lowest rated inside cabin. What the guarantee meant was that you could book at the lowest rates, and possibly be greatly upgraded.

We booked the "M class guarantee" on our first two cruises, and got upgraded to outside cabins both times. The third time was on Statendam for a solar eclipse cruise and being naive we did not expect so many people to book that cruise; needless to say, we were NOT upgraded on that cruise, and have gone at least outside since.

The "M class guarantee" of course was a marketing ploy that worked to our advantage twice, and probably did so for others. As a result, I guess some of us came to associate HAL upgrade possibilities as both likely and positive.

All that said, though, if what you really want is that larger inside in a great location, book it and decline the upgrade possibility. Although, I have to admit that we were upgraded from SS to what is now an SB but at the time an SA cabin on Eurodam, even though we had declined the upgrade option -- the moral of the story is that HAL reserves the right to upgrade you if they have to do so. (Second oh by the way -- we were not offended at all with the upgrade to the deluxe suite. :D)

Dave

I would have been very content to receive a cabin as guaranteed and incidentally the one I prefer. Unfortunately, HAL seems to not understand this as well as HAL cruisers. What is the sense in looking forward to a guarantee when HAL can choose anything they consider better.

So to review..

Lower is better than higher in a ship. DUH

Guaranteed category means you get what is convenient for HAL not you. DUH

A fully obstructed view is better than a dsired inside..DUH

This is my last post on this subject. THX again to all who replied.

I would have been very content to receive a cabin as guaranteed and incidentally the one I prefer. Unfortunately, HAL seems to not understand this as well as HAL cruisers. What is the sense in looking forward to a guarantee when HAL can choose anything they consider better.

So to review..

Lower is better than higher in a ship. DUH

Guaranteed category means you get what is convenient for HAL not you. DUH

A fully obstructed view is better than a dsired inside..DUH

This is my last post on this subject. THX again to all who replied.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. Why didn't you book the very cabin you wanted? Did I miss this? A guarentee is just that......they can assign you anything so I don't understand.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. Why didn't you book the very cabin you wanted? Did I miss this? A guarentee is just that......they can assign you anything so I don't understand.

No lorekauf, it is not you, or me or anyone else that has responded to hoidada.

I tried to get them to explain what they were unhappy with since they didn't bother to tell us what they didn't like about the upgrade, only for them to be rude in response.

To go from an I to a HH is a nice upgrade to a good location. IMHO.

I don't understand why someone (especially a 3 star mariner) would book a guarantee if they had a specific location they wanted to be. If the cabin I wanted was not available to book directly, I would pick my next choice and book a specific cabin # and ask not to be upgraded. That way I would not be disappointed.

Flaming probably coming, but I prefer to book a specific room and take the upsell. JMO:):)

I'll join you in the flames. While we don't have as much experience, there are too many unknowns in waiting for an upgrade that may or may not be coming.

I, too, would rather pick what I want and perhaps go upsell rather than rely on HALs definition of an upgrade.:):)

There were zero insides available for booking at the time except Guaranteed I. Please explain the questionable upgrade mentioned.

I don`t consider a fully obstructed to a desired inside an upgrade. You might review the layout of the ship to understand my concern., and please do not belittle my legitimate post.

It sounds like you thought you were getting a guarantee of the I cabin. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. If you had wished for an upgrade, you wouldn't have gotten it. :o

This post is because of the wording HAL uses. GUARANTEE category means just that in my mind. I agreed to an iside CAT I decks 9 and 10 only to be issued an HH399(fully obstructed outside deck6 stern of the ship. Since you can obviously tell colors you might see my concern.This adds to my interpretation of Cruise Line games and yes I am almost a 3 star mariner.Thanks for your interest.:D:D:D:D

You agreed to a CAT I or higher. And an obstructed outside would be higher than an inside. Know the rules when you play cabin roulette.

We had a similar cabin on the Amsterdam in Alaska and loved that we had some natural light in the cabin as well as easy access to the Promenade deck.

Well, you had two options: gamble on an inside guarantee (or higher) or not be on the ship at all. You are booked on a HAL ship and that is usually a good thing. :rolleyes:

Archived