Any such Itinerary on RCCL?

twoatsea

Rccl is our cruiseline of choice. However, Holland America sent us a brochure with some itineraries we really like (prices good too!). Anyone know if RCCL offers such? (I went thru RCCL's online pages of various cruises & couldn't find such, but maybe didn't search properly)

1. To Asia, Australia, and/or South Pacific ROUND TRIP from Continental USA or Hawaii.

2. Grand Voyages of 30 days & more.

Rccl is our cruiseline of choice. However, Holland America sent us a brochure with some itineraries we really like (prices good too!). Anyone know if RCCL offers such? (I went thru RCCL's online pages of various cruises & couldn't find such, but maybe didn't search properly)

1. To Asia, Australia, and/or South Pacific ROUND TRIP from Continental USA or Hawaii.

Nothing R/T from the US that I know of. You can always to B2B or B2B2B to make it into a Grand Voyage. I know one couple that did a B2B2B traveling from Florida through the Panama Canal to San Diego then on to Hawaii then on to Australia. Total cruise was around 45 days.

HAL has some of the best longer itineraries - which we plan on taking advantage of later on.

I was just looking at my Mariner magazine that came in the mail and noticed the Asia / Australia Grand Voyage - that would be a great cruise. I don't think RCI does long voyages like that.

But we wanted to go to Australia and HAL had nothing - mostly New Zealand with 1 or 2 ports in Australia. But we found 2 with RCI - which combined come to a 34 day circumnavigation of Australia with 3 ports in NZ. And on the Radiance which is the ship we were on a couple of years ago in Alaska.

I am not aware of any of the RCCL brands doing such an itinerary. The closest would be a repositioning cruise from U.S. to Australia (i.e. Celebrity Century 18 night voyage) but I do not believe they offer any round trip cruises from U.S. to Australia, South Pacific or Asia.

As you can see below, I have sailed both lines a number of times. Holland America is a better product, in my opinion, overall. HAL has some short cruises as well, but they do have a lot of longer cruises to very interesting places. I guess simply put HAL takes you to destinations while RCI the ships tend to be more of the destination. Again in my opinion, the food on HAL is of much higher quality and variety. RCI has the same diner menu across the line on all ships and as far as I can tell has changed very little over at least the past five years. On the other hand RCI ships have more glitz and attract a more diverse passenger compliment, HAL's ships are more understated and passengers tend to be older on the longer cruises.

I am not aware of any of the RCCL brands doing such an itinerary. The closest would be a repositioning cruise from U.S. to Australia (i.e. Celebrity Century 18 night voyage) but I do not believe they offer any round trip cruises from U.S. to Australia, South Pacific or Asia.

Rhapsody will be repositioning for her second season in Australia and Radiance will reposition and begin her first season over there beginning September 27.

The first three itineraries that Radiance will be doing including her departure from Honolulu will consist a 17 night Honolulu to Sydney, a 16 night Sydney to Perth and an 18 night Perth to Sydney.

Rhapsody will be repositioning for her second season in Australia and Radiance will reposition and begin her first season over there beginning September 27.

The first three itineraries that Radiance will be doing including her departure from Honolulu will consist a 17 night Honolulu to Sydney, a 16 night Sydney to Perth and an 18 night Perth to Sydney.

Yeah, that is what I am saying. RCCL brand ships only do repositioning cruises to those destinations, but not round trip from the U.S.

Thanks everyone for your time. Sad to hear no round trip on RCCL.

RE: HAL - we used to sail them exclusively. However, in our opinion, their food has been downgraded to equal with the rest of the mass market cruiselines, including RCCL & Cunard non-suite class. I realize a whole lot of people will not agree, but that is our taste. Also important to us since we rarely go to the dining room anymore, we prefer RCCL's dinner buffet mostly because of the salad bar. The Hal dinner salad bar is basically non-existent. Also we hate waiting in the long lines at Hal's buffet - we've never had that on RCCL.

Also re: Hal, we stopped sailing them when their "older" smaller ships gave us too many poorly maintained cabins - mostly plumbing & AC. Understand maintenance problems happen, but the total lack of assistance in solving the problems was the biggest issue. On our last Hal cruise, we went without a cabin toilet for over 24 hours (no one ever showed up), even tho we called the front desk & maintenance shop almost every hour, advised the Hotel Manager (or whatever his title was), & spoke with the front desk manger. Only way we got it fixed was to get hold of the microphone during the "Captain's Talk" with the passengers. I asked him if he knew anyone on the ship who would take the time to repair our toilet - it got done immediately! With that experience, plus several others before, that was the end of our Hal cruising.

Additionally, we do a lot of TAs & RCCL is always much cheaper.

That said, for the great itinerary we are looking at on Hal, we are tempted to return. However, when looking at 30 days or more captive in a cabin (because usually the ships sail fully booked), it is scary to return to a cruiseline that proved to be so unresponsive to cabin problems - that could be real misery!

Thanks again.

Princess has a RT from LA on Sapphire Princess in October 2011 - 28 days to Hawaii, Samoa, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti. You gotta love those sea days as there are 8 of them sailing "nonstop" from Papeete back to Los Angeles!

Archived