Opinions on a dress, please!

sharod

I am considering purchasing this dress and would like some opinions from you lovely ladies here!

I would be wearing it on my upcoming cruise, probably on one of the formal nights.

I LOVE the style. But the print is out of my normal comfort zone, but not afraid to step outside of it. I normally am a solids kind of a girl. But something is drawing me to this dress. I do love the color. I thought of maybe adding to it by tying a scarf around the waist, or maybe not:confused:. What do you think?

That being said, could I have some opinions on what others think of this dress. It would be greatly appreciated!!! In others words, help me spend my money, or save it:D;)!

CBYd8qQEGkKGrHqNk8Ez580kqGBNHZPYzCmQ_12.jpg

I think this dress is adorable. I would buy it in a heartbeat and wear it. You can dress it up with accessories for a formal look, or tone it down with accessories for a more casual look. It will be a great addition to your wardrobe for a cruise. I would wear it the way it is, without a scarf.

I wouldn't do the scarf around the waist thing....the dress is "flowy" enough. A delicate necklace and some spangly bracelets....

It is a pretty dress, but it isn't really "formal"....

I agee, not formal, just a thought on what night to wear it. Nothing is set in stone. I always take 2 long gowns along, and hubby takes 2 different suits (a light and a dark one). We love to dress up. Our jobs don't give us the opportunity to do this. Me in medical scrubs all week, hubby in dark Docker's and a 3 button polo with the company name on it.

Just thought of trying something different. Definitely taking 1 long gown, and try to talk hubby into only 1 suit;).

OP.... you'll be on Allure the week before me...! I'll be the happy face passing you in the parking lot...!!! LOL

If you look at the big ships on my sailings list... I have seen all kinds for formal night... accessorize...!! Beautiful shoes and crystal jewelry... you'll look wonderful - and you'll be the first one on the dance floor at the club because everyone else will be running back to change out of their uncomfy dresses..!

This time I am wearing one of my "Retro" gowns (I've owned it for YEARS..:p) and a shorter cocktail BCBG dress that is black/white - it will go straight to the club...!

Seems my opinion is not the popular one, but I'm not a big fan of the dress. The colors are very pretty, but something about the pattern seems very matronly to me, even though the cut of the dress isn't. Please don't flame me :( It's just my opinion. But if you like it, wear it, and don't worry about my opinion. I don't care what other people wear, in fact, if we were on the same cruise, I wouldn't even notice. It's just not a dress I would pick out for myself.

Seems my opinion is not the popular one, but I'm not a big fan of the dress. The colors are very pretty, but something about the pattern seems very matronly to me, even though the cut of the dress isn't. Please don't flame me :( It's just my opinion. But if you like it, wear it, and don't worry about my opinion. I don't care what other people wear, in fact, if we were on the same cruise, I wouldn't even notice. It's just not a dress I would pick out for myself.

See, this is what I was wondering. Is it to "June Cleverish". (Please tell me you remember "Leave it to Beaver"):D.

So, no offense taken:p. This was the one thing holding me back!

ETA: Now I know why the pattern is holding me back. We are redoing our dining room, stripping off several layers of wallpaper that have been there long before we moved in. The bottom layer reminds me of the print on this fabric!!!!! AND, the first time I saw the wallpaper, I remember thinking, "The sixties called and want their wallpaper back!!!!".

This is not a formal dress. I don't find it "June Cleaverish" at all - June would never wear this dress!

I also stick with solids, except for accessories, especially when trying to pack light, but if you love this dress, wear it.

See, this is what I was wondering. Is it to "June Cleverish". (Please tell me you remember "Leave it to Beaver"):D.

So, no offense taken:p. This was the one thing holding me back!

ETA: Now I know why the pattern is holding me back. We are redoing our dining room, stripping off several layers of wallpaper that have been there long before we moved in. The bottom layer reminds me of the print on this fabric!!!!! AND, the first time I saw the wallpaper, I remember thinking, "The sixties called and want their wallpaper back!!!!".

I know June Cleaver, and I only remember "Leave it to Beaver" from Nick at Nite ;) I think if the pattern appeals to you or not might also have to do with where in the country you live. Here in NY, you just don't see people wearing something like that, and since that's where I live, that's what my style is influenced by. But I think a good rule of thumb is if it reminds you of old wallpaper, you probably shouldn't wear it. Again, just my opinion.

With due respect, you don't need our opinion. If you love this dress, then buy it. If you don't love it and in fact, have to ask if you should or shouldn't, then maybe that's your answer. Just sayin'. :)

She never said she needed our opinions but that she would like to have them.

OP - I think if you are hesitating on the dress, just let it go. If you did buy it, you would be self-conscious wearing it (in your current mindset).

See, that's why I like this board, you get honest answers!!!

OK, no formal night, which is fine. I really do like to dress up, and have several long gowns to choose from. I will just stick with that.

Yes, the dress is still calling my name, even with my previous comment about it looking like the wallpaper that I am replacing:D!

Thank you everyone for your opinions. They are greatly appreciated!

Archived