MDR Dress Code

cctimmom

they dont enforce any rule at the MDR. Anything goes but tank top for men. rather than that,,,, you are free to watever. jeans( with holes ) , short , tshirt, even sandals, they dont really care. But of course you can follow the dress code that is enforced only in paper:o

you are on vacation , at least I am :D

they dont really care

Oh, they care! Do you think they prepare the suggested dress codes for the formal dining room just for fun? No, they care and would prefer the MDR be treated like any other fine dining restaurant. The problem is that "they" (those charged with enforcing the posted rules) are afraid you won't tip them if they actually did continue to enforce the policies.

But they care and many of your fellow-cruisers care that you snub your nose at the the signs posted at the doors and the suggested dress standards printed in the daily compass.

Enjoy your vacation!

Oh, they care! Do you think they prepare the suggested dress codes for the formal dining room just for fun? No, they care and would prefer the MDR be treated like any other fine dining restaurant. The problem is that "they" (those charged with enforcing the posted rules) are afraid you won't tip them if they actually did continue to enforce the policies.

But they care and many of your fellow-cruisers care that you snub your nose at the the signs posted at the doors and the suggested dress standards printed in the daily compass.

Enjoy your vacation!

IF it were such a big deal "they" (as you call them) would say something... its obviously NOT a priority of RCI and frankly if they made it a priority to tell me how I SHOULD dress to eat a dinner that I PAID for... I would tell somebody they could kiss my... well you know what... Its not right to force rules of dress code on their guests... If RCI started to enforce such policies, I would take my business elsewhere....

To answer your question:

YES I too wear capris or bermuda shorts to dinner almost every night but formal with some dressy sandals or heels...

there is a written rule by RCI that state suggestions for the "dress code" for the evening and it says something about

"no bare feet, no short pants and no tank tops..."

I had posted a thread about what are "short pants" and most people seemed to say that capris were fine but it was above the knee shorts for females and shorts in general for males that they found to be breaking the rules... Based off what everyone said on the posts I am taking my capris and bermudas and wearing them to dinner!

Wear what you feel comfortable with. Legally speaking, there is no more dress code on RCL.

What they post in their contract and on their website are "Suggested Guidelines".

People saying that the onboard employees don't enforce the dress code because they are afraid of losing tips isn't exactly and precisely correct.

Unless the code is listed as "Mandatory Rules" and not "Suggested Guidelines", there really is nothing to enforce, and I believe the crew could get into deep trouble if they try to "enforce" something that legally doesn't exist anymore.

Wear what you are most comfortable with and have a nice cruise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

It is true that "they" won't say anything if you wear capris in the MDR.

"They" have basically given up because of the kind pax that tell them "Kiss my ..." when asked to change out of inappropriate clothing.

We've seen some "classy" exchanges from pax who have been told to go and change. Why should the crew have to deal with that kind of thing? I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with the kind of people who would cause such a scene.:(

Enjoy your vacation!

Always makes me laugh. The MDR is not a fine dining restaurant. It is bearly passable catering food. Maybe if they gave everyone the food that they charge for in the specialty restaurants people would dress up more.

The last wedding we attended boasted 350 guests.

It was an evening wedding and everyone was dressed in "formal" wear.

The venue was breathtaking..the food was..meh.

But all the guests knew it was a "formal" event and dressed for it. Food not withstanding.

I doubt even if RCI served Portofino food in the MDR it would make much of a difference to the fashion challenged.:)

But all the guests knew it was a "formal" event and dressed for it. Food not withstanding.

I doubt even if RCI served Portofino food in the MDR it would make much of a difference to the fashion challenged.:)

Difference here is that the hosts of the wedding weren't intentionally giving you low quality food so that you would spend more money for their "specialty" wedding food.

About 75% of the women will be wearing capris on a warm weather cruise. it's fine for all but formal nights.

I don't doubt your statistic but it does surprise me! I am only 5'2" and if I wore capris my legs would look even shorter than they are!

I agree - wouldn't matter to those who are "on vacation" and don't give a dang about anyone else. I've seen guys in expensive steakhouses (entrees in the $50-75 range) eating in baseball caps. No class at all and it shows.

Actually, the percentage of women in capris in the main dining room is more the reverse: 25% and 75% wearing slacks and dresses.

Short dresses are becoming much more popular for women in the dining room over the last several years.

I have cruised 9 times in the last 2 years on six different ships, so I've been able to observe a large cross-section of cruisers. Women do not usually wear shorts in the dining room; they do wear capris (like I said, about 25% of them); and many are wearing short dresses.

For someone who has enough 'tude that they would want to walk into a nice restaurant (we'll skip the "fine dining debate") dressed so inappropriately that the management would actually ask them to change their clothes.............well, as my darling husband always says: "look to the source". If you are so defensive that you would think, let alone say, "kiss my whatever", then why ask what is appropriate to begin with?

It is true that "they" won't say anything if you wear capris in the MDR.

"They" have basically given up because of the kind pax that tell them "Kiss my ..." when asked to change out of inappropriate clothing.

We've seen some "classy" exchanges from pax who have been told to go and change. Why should the crew have to deal with that kind of thing? I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with the kind of people who would cause such a scene.:(

We've also seen some "classy" responses from the self-appointed fashion police. They will call you names and look down their noses at you if you wear capris. They'll tell you it's not very classy to dress that way and then they will berate anyone who's dress does not meet their standards. They will call people names like 'trashy', 'hobo', etc. and proclaim that it is the less well dressed that are the less classy people. But keep in mind, these are classy people, so it's ok for them to talk down to you - they're classy that way.

Archived