Disappointed

cinanina

I was looking at a cruise departing from England where I have a conference by the end of August... We were thinking of booking it to do the Northern Europe trip, but then I realised my 2 year old is no longer an infant but now a child :cool: silly me... now the trip which already was super expensive becomes a bit out of reach... :(

I am wondering:

1. is there still a hope a 2 year old might be considered an infant (checked all around RC site but couldn't find the answer)?

2. is there anyway we can get a lower price (do they have sale days like some other companies or something of the sort)?

I am a bit disapointed and will start thinking of other options for our summer holidays because this would become too expensive... and in a way a bit overspending because we can do the same itinerary for half the price with other companies where children don't pay (but none has that particular date/port departure).

I was looking at a cruise departing from England where I have a conference by the end of August... We were thinking of booking it to do the Northern Europe trip, but then I realised my 2 year old is no longer an infant but now a child :cool: silly me... now the trip which already was super expensive becomes a bit out of reach... :(

I am wondering:

1. is there still a hope a 2 year old might be considered an infant (checked all around RC site but couldn't find the answer)?

2. is there anyway we can get a lower price (do they have sale days like some other companies or something of the sort)?

I am a bit disapointed and will start thinking of other options for our summer holidays because this would become too expensive... and in a way a bit overspending because we can do the same itinerary for half the price with other companies where children don't pay (but none has that particular date/port departure).

Age doesn't make a difference. The price is the same.

Thank you for your replies. I was pretty sure 2 yo is no longer an infant :cool:

Well, you may be right but I tried first with an infant and the price was around 3600 euros and now it comes to 4600 :( I'll give a retry maybe I just got confused with euros vs dolars (there's still hope)

Thank you for your replies. I was pretty sure 2 yo is no longer an infant :cool:

Well, you may be right but I tried first with an infant and the price was around 3600 euros and now it comes to 4600 :( I'll give a retry maybe I just got confused with euros vs dolars (there's still hope)

You have an infant option on the Royal Caribbean website? There is no infant option on the US site, just number of persons. :)

IF there is an infant fare, it is ONLY on a non-US site.

I assure you that on the North American website, every passenger pays the fare regardless of age.

Put three babies in a cabin by themselves, and two will be charged the 1st/2nd rate and the third will be charged the 3rd passenger rate. No matter their age.

Same as three senile senior citizens. (gosh, I just LOVE alliteration ;)). First two, 1st/2nd passenger rate; #3, 3rd passenger rate.

:D

I assume that you are looking at the RCI cruise from Harwich to the Baltics. It is expensive, but it is a 12 day cruise. Several days are spent getting to Northern Europe, of course these are aboard a lovely ship and a wonderful part of the holiday. However you have a budget to think about.

Would it be better for you to take a cruise from slightly nearer the Baltic Sea? Flying from Lisbon to Stockholm and then taking the 7 day cruise on the Vision of the Seas would be very much cheaper and you could see some of Stockholm (not a cheap city) but I think very child-friendly.

I am wondering:

Would you mind posting the complete URL of Royal Caribbean's site in Portugal?

No, not really, it must have been through another site, can't really remember. Tried one agent and the RC site but you're right 3rd and 4th passenger pay less but it's all the same price... ok, I'll think of something else this is a bit too expensive. Thanks!

I never used their site, just the international and a lot of on-line agents. Trough the official site price is around 5600, through agents it's about 4600€ - can't see where I found the other price :cool:

When we booked for our son, it was just the regular 3rd person in a room rate, spoke with a C&A rep to be sure there wasn't any possibility of an infant discount, was told no way.

Yes, thanks, I gave up, I'll look at other options...

I assume that you are looking at the RCI cruise from Harwich to the Baltics. It is expensive, but it is a 12 day cruise. Several days are spent getting to Northern Europe, of course these are aboard a lovely ship and a wonderful part of the holiday. However you have a budget to think about.

Would it be better for you to take a cruise from slightly nearer the Baltic Sea? Flying from Lisbon to Stockholm and then taking the 7 day cruise on the Vision of the Seas would be very much cheaper and you could see some of Stockholm (not a cheap city) but I think very child-friendly.

Yes, thank you, also lots of child-free departing from Copenhagen which is lovely and has Legoland nearby ;) besides my husband lived there for some years so that would be a great option but the thing is I have work in London by the end of August so we were trying to put the two together but it doesn't work as we would like it to...

Same as three senile senior citizens. (gosh, I just LOVE alliteration ). First two, 1st/2nd passenger rate; #3, 3rd passenger rate.

There is a 55+ rate on the Celebrity's site! They also advertise family cabins.

Also I think I am right in saying that P&O are selling 3 /4berth cabins for July /August.

I have seen at least one T.A advertising by e-mail, which means that all members in the cabin are paying the reduction if you divide the cabin rate by 3/4.

BUT, once over 2 a child needs its own seat on an aeroplane, so in the same way they are taking up a bed in a cabin. In the same way singles suffer, as they have to pay a surcharge- sometimes up to 100%.

Also I think I am right in saying that P&O are selling 3 /4berth cabins for July /August.

I have seen at least one T.A advertising by e-mail, which means that all members in the cabin are paying the reduction if you divide the cabin rate by 3/4.

BUT, once over 2 a child needs its own seat on an aeroplane, so in the same way they are taking up a bed in a cabin. In the same way singles suffer, as they have to pay a surcharge- sometimes up to 100%.

Yeah, I know, happened to my mother in law last year...

It's www.royalcaribbean.pt.

Funny thing is, though, if you go to the perguntas frequentes and click on Preço Cruzeiro Especial , it takes you to a page at the US site. So, either the website's screwed up or they have the same no special pricing for infants policy as the US. Anybody's guess as to which.

It's www.royalcaribbean.pt.

Funny thing is, though, if you go to the perguntas frequentes and click on Preço Cruzeiro Especial , it takes you to a page at the US site. So, either the website's screwed up or they have the same no special pricing for infants policy as the US. Anybody's guess as to which.

They have the same infant policy, I must have seen some price in another site that I no longer find or just mixed up something, can't really remember how that happenned, sorry if I mislead someone...

The discounted rates for seniors are only on SOME cruises and in SOME cabin categories. It's hardly a blanket discount on Celebrity cruises.

Royal Caribbean has the same possibility: check the box that indicates that you are 55+, and you MAY see a discounted senior rate.

And you only need one 55+ in the cabin for the rate to apply to all passengers in the cabin.

They have the same infant policy, I must have seen some price in another site that I no longer find or just mixed up something, can't really remember how that happenned, sorry if I mislead someone...

Not at all! :D We were just curious if the policy might be different on the RCCL website in other countries. There has been a lot of discussion about the marketing policies in other countries. :D:):D I'm sorry your plans didn't work out.

I don't know if this is any help to you, but...

I'm cruising with my 2 year old in May this year. We're booked into a promenade cabin, which *shouldn't* hold 3 people, but we were able to book with a 3rd person rate in that cabin based on my son using a travel cot.

For me, it meant the difference between being able to afford to cruise or not this year, because there were no 3+ person cabins available for cheaper.

It would be best to phone RCL up direct, or get a TA to do so on your behalf.

We looked at the cruise you are considering for our family of four, but it was too expensive for us. You might consider the Vision out of Stockholm as suggested by others. There are very cheap flights from london to Stockholm on SAS airlines. They are safe and a well rated airline. Our flights one way were only $68 per person one way. I believe a two year old might even be free, so you might be able to fly round trip for about $136 including tax. The vision was much less than the jewel for the dates we looked at.

I don't know if this is any help to you, but...

I'm cruising with my 2 year old in May this year. We're booked into a promenade cabin, which *shouldn't* hold 3 people, but we were able to book with a 3rd person rate in that cabin based on my son using a travel cot.

For me, it meant the difference between being able to afford to cruise or not this year, because there were no 3+ person cabins available for cheaper.

It would be best to phone RCL up direct, or get a TA to do so on your behalf.

Thank you but we are actually 4: 2 adults and 2 children :(

Archived