Dave's Live from Ryndam, Feb. 6-20, 2011

RetiredMustang

Wednesday, Feb. 16, Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Honduras

I could see the island of Roatan as I walked the deck in the morning. It was overcast, and I could seen rain showers around the island. We pulled into Mahogany Bay, and the ship turned about and backed into the pier. I went up to the observation deck to get some photos.

There are two piers at the port. We pulled up to the one closest to the bottom of the bay; later (after I took the photos), Carnival Valor pulled up to the other pier. The two piers converged at the duty free shop: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Mahogany_Bay_1.JPG

Passengers passed through the shop to the broad walkay: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Mahogany_Bay_2.JPG In the distance at top right of the photo is where the beach is located.

Passengers then walked into the central square area (which is where shore excursions met): http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Mahogany_Bay_3.JPG

At the far right corner of this photo is the location of the chairlift to the beach area.

There were more shops to the left, behind which was the bus, txi and rental car staging area. http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Mahogany_Bay_4.JPG

I took those photos early in the day, and the weather was overcast. It cleared up and became sunny, and I was able to get a far shot of the beach area from the ship as we sailed away: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Mahogany_Bay_Beach.JPG

The beach area is accessible by the chairlift, and I believe by a walkway over the brdige that can be seen at the left of the photo.

Mahogany Bay is larger than the cruise pier areas at Grand Turk and Saint Maarten, and is probably even larger than Peurta Maya in Cozumel. It is clean, safe, friendly, well-landcaped, easy to get about, convenient and efficient ... and could be pretty much anywhere. We enjoyed the cruise port, but it did not seem to have much character. Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, Pirana Joe's, Harley-Davidson, Fat Tuesday bar and restaurant, etc. -- they were all very nice, but did not seem to say "Honduras".

But, we had booked a shore excursion that did take us into parts of Roatan island -- the ship's Hike and Archeology tour. The brochure said the Mayan artifacts were replicas of ones from the mainland Maya sites, so we did not expect to see actual Mayan ruins.

The tour was a somewhat strange mixture of various things. We first drove the main road along the coast, and then turned inland and uphill, along rutted dirt roads to a high spot where we could overlook Coxen Hole, the main town of Roatan. We then re-boarded the bus and lurched through a small village to a large property for the rest of our tour.

We began with a tour of a butterfly farm, which we did not expect, but it was pretty well done, and had some great butterflies, including several blue morphos which are impressive. We then went on the "hike" which was along an undulating and sometimes rough-surfaced path, but it was not at all difficult to someone who is not mobility challenged; those needing wheel chairs or possibly even canes maybe should consider not taking this particular tour.

The path was at most a mile long. http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Roatan_hike_1.JPG but did not include any vistas of the coast or anything; just the jungle and a couple of streams.

At several spots along the way, there were replicas of Mayan artifacts: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Roatan_hike_2.JPG

Our tour guide would stop and explain the artifacts, and the history and culture of the Mayans. He spoke in Spanish and a young assistant translated into English for us. It was pretty informative, and the replicas were fine, but I couldn't help think that we could have seen them in an air-conditioned museum that did not have a gravel and red-clay floor. We like to hike and also like history, but this seemed an odd way to combine the two. We were glad we came, though.

At the end of the path was a small zoo of sorts, with some Central American animals, including a couple of monkeys, a semi-tame coati that had followed us on part of the trail, several macaws, boa constrictors, etc., and one large parrot with a regal air atop a replica: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Roatan_hike_3.JPG

We then boarded the bus and went into Coxen Hole for a glass of punch at a seaside bar. I was able to negotiate two dollars for a very cold bottle of excellent Honduran beer instead. We had a few minutes to wander before boarding the bus back to Mahogany Bay. I took a shot down the main street, which was busy with shoppers, and schoolchildren who had apparently just been let out from school: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Coxen_Hole_Roatan.JPG

We returned to the cruise port, and looked around a little before reboarding the ship, and showered and relaxed a bit before dinner. After dinner, we attended this cruise's reception for three and four-star Mariners, with the captain, hotel manager and cruise director. The Adgio Strings were also there, and I was able to get a better shot of the four talented ladies: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Ryndam_string_quartet_in_Crows_Nest.JPG

It was our first visit to Roatan, and we had a wonderful time. If we come back, we discussed that we likely would take a snorekling excursion, or just go to the Mahogany Bay beach area; the shore excursions manager ashore today told us that there was some good snorkeling out a ways (weather dependent), and that snorkeling gear was available for rent.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Dave -

Thanks for all the great Ryndam info - I will be doing the Ryndam April 3rd and your details are really helpful in me planning my time aboard :D

2 Spa related questions .....

What is the price for the week-long Thermal Suite pass?

Are there Sauna/Steam rooms available for use w/o buying a pass to the Thermal Suites?

And a Canaletto question - is the menu the same every night or does it change daily?

Many Thanks - Scott A Miller

Sorry, I don't know the answers to the spa questions, but will try to find out. The Canaletto menu is every night.

Dave

Dave, the Retired Mustang and Krazy Kruizers,

We extend our 'Thank You' to both. The trans-Atlantic Ryandam is 21 days

Tampa-Rotterdam and whilst we are the "mature" sailors [who enjoy a little rowdy interlude here and there] ... we would prefer, most times, to live the 'gentile and calm' ... as we had when on the Zuiderdam (1/2 pan-am canal) and in a suite such Dave is now enjoying.

The string quartet made that trip a real treat.

Thank you again for the picture and the info.

waiting our chance to , Seamo

like dave -- we always book a deluxe cabin suite

many evenings we will sit and listen to the adagio strings while having an after dinner drink -- some of the groups have been very good and attrack a large crowd -- others were poor

hope you get a great group

Dave -

Thanks for all the great Ryndam info - I will be doing the Ryndam April 3rd and your details are really helpful in me planning my time aboard :D

Are there Sauna/Steam rooms available for use w/o buying a pass to the Thermal Suites?

And a Canaletto question - is the menu the same every night or does it change daily?

Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon (different Gelato on the Nieuw Amsterdam - strawberry, pistachio, vanilla bean, Gianduia)

suggested Cocktails:

Limoncello Cocktails -- $6.50

Limoncello Martini (Vodka & Limoncello)

Limoncello Cosmopolitan (Vodka, cranberry juice & Limoncello)

Limoncello Bellini (Peach Nector, sparkling wine & Limoncello)

Venetia (Liomoncello & Vodka & tonic water)

Limoncello Sunrise (limoncello & orange juice & granadine)

Limoncello Drop (Limoncello & Vodka & Midori)

Limoncello Cooler (Limoncello & cranberry juice

Wines listed below can be bought by the bottle ($22) or by the glass ($5) -- THESE PRICES AND CHOICES MAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME!!

Pinot Grigio Dalle Venezie IGT

Muller Thurgan Trentino DOC

Salentto Rose IGT

Primitivo Puglia IGY

Pinot Noir Pavia IGT

Nero D'Avola Merlot di Sicilia IGT

Montepulcian D'Abruzzo DOC

Dave: CCers are asking where Mama Lou is. Some say on the Ryndam. We did not see her there in Dec. Have you??

Carol,

Thanks to the photo Donna (gmapajama) posted a while ago, I now know what Mama Lou looks like. Sadly, I've not noticed her aboard, but will henceforth keep out a sharper eye!

Dave

Carol,

Thanks to the photo Donna (gmapajama) posted a while ago, I now know what Mama Lou looks like. Sadly, I've not noticed her aboard, but will henceforth keep out a sharper eye!

Dave

Don't be shy, Dave, about asking for her. She loves the recognition and doesn't "hide out" at all. After I ran into her in an elevator, I sent a Meet & Greet invitation to her (simply addressed to Mama Lou) and she was delighted to attend. In fact she was already there when the rest of us arrived. Crew will absolutely be in the know.

Dave -

I was on the Ryndam last week---great cruise on a wonderful ship !

The cost for the Thermal Suite for a 7 day cruise is :

Single pass $89

Couples Pass $150

This included two steam rooms which looked identical to me,two fancy rain showers,five heated tile loungers, and a small hdrotherapy pool. The cost for a single day is $40

The Ryndam has a very nice men's locker room (and ladies too I would presume) with a complimentary dry sauna.I did not buy the pass and just enjoyed the sauna and very nice heated lido pool.The $89 saved paid for two wonderful evenings in the Pinnacle Grill.

Enjoy your cruise---We just loved the Ryndam and will be back.

Edited by Dive Master

Pinnacle dinner menu

We have not eaten there yet this time, but I thought you might like to see the current dinner menu at Pinnacle.

Dave

Just a quick thought on our two dinners in the Pinnacle last week:

They were fantastic !!!!! Great food and service.I know we are definitely monetarily challenged and my idea of a good steakhouse is Outback.There is just no way I could justify a $150 to $200 dinner at a Morton's or Ruth's Cris.I must say the fillets I had in the Pinnacle were the two best steaks I have ever eaten.My wife loved the tableside prepared cesar salad and soups.She thought the creme brule was excellent too.The lobster tail she had Saturday night was excellent but the same tail served in the MDR. Steaks are definitely the way to go in the Pinnacle Grill !!!!!

Just a quick thought on our two dinners in the Pinnacle last week:

They were fantastic !!!!! Great food and service.I know we are definitely monetarily challenged and my idea of a good steakhouse is Outback.There is just no way I could justify a $150 to $200 dinner at a Morton's or Ruth's Cris.I must say the fillets I had in the Pinnacle were the two best steaks I have ever eaten.My wife loved the tableside prepared cesar salad and soups.She thought the creme brule was excellent too.The lobster tail she had Saturday night was excellent but the same tail served in the MDR. Steaks are definitely the way to go in the Pinnacle Grill !!!!!

definitely agree with your PG comments. I can never resist the creme brule.

thanks for all of your excellent posts Dave - we have been contemplating the Rhyndam for the first time and obviously your posts have been most encouraging. :)

i am not dave -- but we have found that the petite filet is just the right size for us -- rspecially with salad, appetizers, side dishes and dessert

Since you have volunteered the meat dish - what do you recommend for the remainder of the menu? We are sailing on March 6th and have made reservatons for the PG. Thanks so much for your input.

Thank you for your report and pics of Mahogany Bay. Are there showers available at the beach?

Sorry, I did not make it to the beach, but I asked the shore excursions staff, and they said they believed that the beach had both showers and lockers. I took that as a "probably." You might want to check the port call boards for Mahogany Beach as well.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Steaks at the Pinnacle

We have had several at the Pinnacle, but I have found in the last few cruises that they are just too large, so next time I will probably go for the the smallest fillet or perhaps something else. Don't get me wrong -- the steaks are wonderful; it's just that I can't eat as much as I once did.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

We know she left in early Dec, but don't know if she came back since then.

Carol, Donna, et al,

I checked with the most knowledgeable people I know on board (the bar staff at the Ocean Bar), and they assure me that, indeed, Mama Lou is currently on board Ryndam.

They told me she does not come to happy hour, but passes through now and then, and promised to introduce me if it occurs that I am there when she comes through. Looks like I'll be spending even more time in the Ocean Bar the next couple of days ....

Dave