Oasis or Serenade

DonnaK

I reserved Serenade yesterday, and am already having buyers remorse. We chose this ship because of the port intensive itinerary that included islands we've never been to before.

However, since the price of airfare to Puerto Rico is so high, we can do Oasis for the same total cost. We've been to all of Oasis's islands (yawn), yet the ship itself is so innovative.

I thought of doing one this year, and one next year, but if it is true that Liberty is moving to NJ and Celebrity Silhouette will be sailing from there too, we will probably choose these in the future - longer sailings with no air.

Opinions wanted...what would you do - stick with Serenade or change to Oasis? Our children are 19 and 17, if that makes a difference.

I reserved Serenade yesterday, and am already having buyers remorse. We chose this ship because of the port intensive itinerary that included islands we've never been to before.

However, since the price of airfare to Puerto Rico is so high, we can do Oasis for the same total cost. We've been to all of Oasis's islands (yawn), yet the ship itself is so innovative.

I thought of doing one this year, and one next year, but if it is true that Liberty is moving to NJ and Celebrity Silhouette will be sailing from there too, we will probably choose these in the future - longer sailings with no air.

Opinions wanted...what would you do - stick with Serenade or change to Oasis? Our children are 19 and 17, if that makes a difference.

Your 19 and 17yr old will have 10X the amount of activities on Oasis....and being 19 is a bit of a lost age group on any cruise ship as they are to old for the teen club but to young to be considered an adult......so all those activities are a HUGE plus for Oasis.

This is a tough call...But I think I'd go Oasis just for the experience of the ship. Like you, we've been to all the ports she visits a dozen times before, but Oasis herself is the destination. We got off the ship once in Labadee just long enough to take a picture of the ship and never left the ship again until they kicked us off in Ft. Lauderdale! There is so much to do, and when most of the passengers were off in port it felt like we had the entire ship to ourselves.

I have to say that I love sailing the southern Caribbean out of San Juan. The itineraries are so much better than the eastern and western. That being said, we are sailing Oasis in three weeks just to experience that ship.

When are you cruising? There have been times when I have had better pricing for flights to San Juan than to Ft. Lauderdale.

I would switch to Oasis. Oasis goes to both western and eastern. RCCL has deals on both western and eastern. Also you can look into Freedom of the Seas which goes to eastern Caribbeans (greats islands). We had the similar situation as your, but are kids are younger and we've been to both eastern and western sides. We decided to go on Oasis, because we heard good reviews. It depends on whether you want to get off the ship or not. You will enjoy either ship.

When are you cruising? There have been times when I have had better pricing for flights to San Juan than to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm also from LI and for both of my cruises spent the same in airfare to San Juan then it would to fly to Fla also. Ocean Boy is right-it could depend on when your sailing is.

I also love the ports on the southern route and if airfare was close-I'd pick sailing out of San Juan anyday.

I would also switch to Oasis. There is just so much to do on that ship. Your kids would have a much better time on Oasis than Serenade.

They might have a much better time on the Southern Caribbean islands than on the same islands that they have done before.

They might have a much better time on the Southern Caribbean islands than on the same islands that they have done before.

I can just tell you from my 2 teens and most teens my kids have met while cruising ....they couldn't care what islands they go to....they just care about the ship and the activities aboard.

I can just tell you from my 2 teens and most teens my kids have met while cruising ....they couldn't care what islands they go to....they just care about the ship and the activities aboard.

Maybe so. But I can't imagine Serenade not having enough to keep teens happy in between ports. Now, when they start paying for the cruise then I will happily let them pick the ship and I will deal with the itinerary. :D

We just got off of the Seranade[b2B]yesterday.We hit 10 islands in the 14 day,two days in Sanjuan,two sea days.We enjoy this ship,but we also just do beach days.You can do an excursion in the morning and make some of the beaches in the afternoon.You Just have to remember that the Seranade is a lot smaller then the Oasis.We also arrive in San Juan a day earlier and this year missed alot of the snow.

Maybe so. But I can't imagine Serenade not having enough to keep teens happy in between ports. Now, when they start paying for the cruise then I will happily let them pick the ship and I will deal with the itinerary. :D

My 17 year old was with us on my Serenade sailing. He had plenty to do. My boys actually love the ports and active excursions more then the ship. That's what they talk more about. They would much rather have a port extensive sailing then too many sea days.

While us parents foot the bill...just remember....happy kids = happy parents = happy vacation:)

My 17 year old was with us on my Serenade sailing. He had plenty to do. My boys actually love the ports and active excursions more then the ship. That's what they talk more about. They would much rather have a port extensive sailing then too many sea days.

I am willing to bet you have never had them on Oasis/Allure, I wonder if they would still agree with your view after being on either...the reason you all like port intensive I am also betting is to keep everybody busy. You can't miss what you have not experienced;)

We were in the same boat.:) We had the Serenade booked but after we spent two weeks on Allure, we booked two more cruises on the Allure while on board and came home and canceled the Serenade. The Radiance class is my least favorite class of ship in the RCI fleet. There is so much more to do on the Oasis class ships.

I guess you have to decide what is more important. The ports of call or the ship. That was our decision maker.

I am willing to bet you have never had them on Oasis/Allure, I wonder if they would still agree after being on either...the reason you all like port intensive I am also betting is to keep everybody busy.

No-not yet. Not sure if I'm ready to try the mega ships yet. :eek: But yes, my bunch needs to stay on the move!!!LOL:)

Believe it or not-they seem to gravitate more towards ATV's, beach buggies, Zip lining, river tubing-stuff like that. They never ask what's on the ship-yet-they always ask-'what islands are we going to and what do you have planned for us Mom!!! LOL

We were in the same boat.:) We had the Serenade booked but after we spent two weeks on Allure, we booked two more cruises on the Allure while on board and came home and canceled the Serenade. The Radiance class is my least favorite class of ship in the RCI fleet. There is so much more to do on the Oasis class ships.

I guess you have to decide what is more important. The ports of call or the ship. That was our decision maker.

Does that include the Vision class? I have never done any of those ships have have no desire to. Of the Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom class I would also say that Radiance is my least favorite. In 20 more days I will find out just where Oasis fits into my list.

. Now, when they start paying for the cruise then I will happily let them pick the ship and I will deal with the itinerary. :D

I didnt have a choice when I was a kid...... I went where I was told and I liked it;)

Does that include the Vision class? I have never done any of those ships have have no desire to. Of the Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom class I would also say that Radiance is my least favorite. In 20 more days I will find out just where Oasis fits into my list.

I haven't tried the Vision class. The only class that I have not cruised but since I don't care for Radiance, I doubt that I would like the Vision class since the Radiance was based off many of the things found on the Vision class. Voyager class is about as small as I like to go.

Believe it or not-they seem to gravitate more towards ATV's, beach buggies, Zip lining, river tubing-stuff like that. They never ask what's on the ship-yet-they always ask-'what islands are we going to and what do you have planned for us Mom!!! LOL

I like the way your kids think!:)

All your comments are very interesting, giving me lots of food for thought!

We have to cruise in the summer because my kids are in school, and I am a college professor. We are looking at the 2nd or 3rd week in August (any earlier, and the cruise fares are too high.) We're not looking at Freedom because Liberty is supposed to be coming to our homeport next year.

Not even close, your kids will enjoy the Oasis far more than the southern islands. Since you are going in August, you should also consider that you will be going in prime hurricane season. It's highly likely that your itinierary will change and you might not get to those islands. Switch to the Oasis and let the ship be the destination.

I like the way your kids think!:)

Thanks!!:D

That's why it is so important to know if the gang you're traveling with can handle the ship as the destination. Mine are not ready for that!! They need to be on the move and jostle up the surroundings!!!;)

Not even close, your kids will enjoy the Oasis far more than the southern islands. Since you are going in August, you should also consider that you will be going in prime hurricane season. It's highly likely that your itinierary will change and you might not get to those islands. Switch to the Oasis and let the ship be the destination.

Do you know her kids?

We love the OA but the SR has been our favorite ship for many, many years. OA (and even more so AL) are now a very, very close second on our favorite list. However, we keep booking SR as we prefer going in and out of San Juan. We just prefer the southern itinerary so much more. As others have said, OA and AL....the ship is the destination. If you are going for the ship itself then definitely the OA/AL are a "must do". However, if you really do enjoy the "island experience" then I don't think you could go wrong with the SR.

Archived