Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

First - sky61: The coverup is from Land's End (ordered online). Check out the website. There's a variety of summer clothes for every size.

Well...looked at everything in the cruise room...couldn't bring myself to get rid of more than a couple items:rolleyes:.

NOTE to Self: Try on all those questionable pieces before Next Cruise. Purge what doesn't make me smile OR no longer looks good.

Here are the 2 strapless dresses I'm on the fence about...will give them a critical once-over on Try On Day.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35%3A9%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27656%3B3%3B%3A7244ot1lsi

The one new dress from TJ Maxx (Ralph Lauren, had been $149, got it for $59) didn't photograph very well at full length. Here you can see the new earrings that are a good match.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5354%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27656%3B3%3B%3A8244ot1lsi

Black necklace & bracelet and black strappy sandals will complete the outfit.

Indiana71...loved your pictures of your outfits! And, OMG, I haven't thought of "Pop Beads" in years. I do remember them very well and how we used to trade them. Wow, I took a nice trip down memory lane with that one.:D

I use our guest room to pack for my cruise (last one was Aug. 2012 on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore). I usually start pulling stuff out of my closets and begin shopping as soon as we have bought our cruise, which has usually been within a month of all our cruises (been cruising with the DH and DS since he was 9...he was 17 on our last cruise). We usually cruise during Spring Break. We didn't cruise last year because the DS wanted to go to Cabo with his friend and girlfriend. So for his graduation present we took them to Cabo for a week and his aunt (my SIL) joined us. We stayed a week at her timeshare there. It was awesome fun but now I'm sick from not cruising...yes it is an illness! LOL! I call it..."The Not Cruising in a Year Illness!":eek: I have it really bad.

Anyway, I digress, so I start packing and shopping as soon as the tickets are bought. Usually, I look at notes that I have taken from other cruises to see what I was happiest wearing. That usually comes down to nice capri pants or cute casual dresses for most casual dinners in the MDR. I then, if they are in good condition and I can still fit into them (LOL), hang them on the guest closet door. I make a chart and start writing down outfits for each day.

Since most of our excursions include water activities (snorkeling, sailing, etc.), I usually take about 4 or 5 swimsuits with me on each 7-day cruise. One for each water excursion and at least one older one just for the spa or hot tub. Each swimsuit has it's own cover-up, which can also be used for casual MDR dinners. I wear them with a pair of capri pants for dinner and then the next day I use them as a cover up for my swimsuits. This has worked very well for me lately and saves room in my suitcase. I have some beautiful cover ups; some with wooden beads on them and some with pearls and rhinestones. I get most of them at either TJ Maxx or Marshalls, which is where I do most of my shopping. I'm not big busted so I wear those camisoles that have a built-in bra in them under the cover up top for dinner or whenever I don't have a swimsuit under them.

I have two pair of "Cleo" style Croc sandals (not the clunky ones) that I wear with all my swimsuits and take on all my excursions because they are so comfortable. They are so durable...I've had them for years and they never go out of style. One pair is black and the other is white. I also have several pair of cotton, drawstring, capi pants (white, black, beige, and denim ones) that I wear over my swimsuits. I have been wearing these drawstring cotton pants for years and they have held up very very well. I got them at a store that just sells 100% cotton clothes. I love them because they are so comfortable after a night of eating chocolate melting cake for dessert! LOL! I also have a couple of crushable straw, fedora-type hats (black and beige) that I take with me. The hats are free of any kind of adornments so I dress them up with ribbon, scarfs, flowers, travel pins from each port, whatever strikes my mood at the time.

So, in general, I have some basics that I pack all the time and then I just fill in my wardrobe with new things. I would say that for sure I always have new swimsuits as I hate when they start to get saggy from too much wear. I get them at the end of the season at great sale prices; again, usually at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

Well, that's my packing story.:D

Edited by mousey

First - sky61: The coverup is from Land's End (ordered online). Check out the website. There's a variety of summer clothes for every size.

Well...looked at everything in the cruise room...couldn't bring myself to get rid of more than a couple items:rolleyes:.

NOTE to Self: Try on all those questionable pieces before Next Cruise. Purge what doesn't make me smile OR no longer looks good.

Here are the 2 strapless dresses I'm on the fence about...will give them a critical once-over on Try On Day.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35%3A9%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27656%3B3%3B%3A7244ot1lsi

The one new dress from TJ Maxx (Ralph Lauren, had been $149, got it for $59) didn't photograph very well at full length. Here you can see the new earrings that are a good match.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5354%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27656%3B3%3B%3A8244ot1lsi

I love, love, love, those two strapless dresses. They will look awesome on you!:D

The photo was a bit fuzzy. Yes they are silver. Thanks for the help ladies! DH is going skiing in a week so I'll use the opportunity to spread my stuff all over and come up with a plan. I'll probably be looking for a bit more advice.

I loved the swim coverup that you could wear as a dress Indiana. Where did you buy that? Does anyone else have suggestions on brick and mortar or online stores that have a good variety?

I am a size L and don't like the frumpy things I usually see. For the past few years I've used a long white cotton skirt and paired it with a sleeveless shirt but the skirt is practically see-through from repeated washings so I have to sadly say good-bye. Sniff sniff.

Caribbean Princess~Western Caribbean~April 2014

Celebrity Millennium~Alaska~July 2014

Celebrity Reflection~Eastern Caribbean~February 2013

Crown Princess~Western Caribbean~February 2011

Sky61, I love the silver one also! What a great outfit. I'm going to have to learn how to post pictures! I'm just a klutz at technical stuff!:)

Edited by mousey

Sky61,

Just love the idea of taking pictures of each ourfit. Do you save the pictures for use on other cruises?

I just started doing this last fall for a short land trip. Previously I used to just write down descriptions. I will definitely save the pics!

I will definitely check out Land's End. I like all three dresses, but those strapless numbers are super cute! I think you may just need to bring them all on your next cruise.

Okay I'm going to date myself here but I always think of Mary Tyler Moore whenever I see lots of great outfits. I was always amazed at how "put together" she looked. Of course I was a rumply mess back then so she was kind of my clothes idol haha.

Anyway, I digress, so I start packing and shopping as soon as the tickets are bought. Usually, I look at notes that I have taken from other cruises to see what I was happiest wearing. That usually comes down to nice capri pants or cute casual dresses for most casual dinners in the MDR. I then, if they are in good condition and I can still fit into them (LOL), hang them on the guest closet door. I make a chart and start writing down outfits for each day.

Since most of our excursions include water activities (snorkeling, sailing, etc.), I usually take about 4 or 5 swimsuits with me on each 7-day cruise. One for each water excursion and at least one older one just for the spa or hot tub. Each swimsuit has it's own cover-up, which can also be used for casual MDR dinners. I wear them with a pair of capri pants for dinner and then the next day I use them as a cover up for my swimsuits. This has worked very well for me lately and saves room in my suitcase. I have some beautiful cover ups; some with wooden beads on them and some with pearls and rhinestones. I get most of them at either TJ Maxx or Marshalls, which is where I do most of my shopping. I'm not big busted so I wear those camisoles that have a built-in bra in them under the cover up top for dinner or whenever I don't have a swimsuit under them.

I get them at the end of the season at great sale prices; again, usually at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

Well, that's my packing story.:D

Ooh I really like how you use cover ups combined with capris. We are also very beachy, snorkely kind of people so maybe I'll just stop torturing myself with trying to find the one perfect cover up and instead get a couple of things that can mix and match for other casual occasions, like laps around the promenade or making sure the proper quantity of sweets have been taste tested :)

I also like what both you and Indiana say about being happy and feeling good in your clothes. Isn't that so important? I like to 'dress up' but want to be comfortable and feel like my clothing flatters me as much as it can.

Sounds like you had a great time in Cabo but I totally get the longing to cruise. Can't believe how 'hooked' we got!

Ooh I really like how you use cover ups combined with capris. We are also very beachy, snorkely kind of people so maybe I'll just stop torturing myself with trying to find the one perfect cover up and instead get a couple of things that can mix and match for other casual occasions, like laps around the promenade or making sure the proper quantity of sweets have been taste tested :)

I also like what both you and Indiana say about being happy and feeling good in your clothes. Isn't that so important? I like to 'dress up' but want to be comfortable and feel like my clothing flatters me as much as it can.

Sounds like you had a great time in Cabo but I totally get the longing to cruise. Can't believe how 'hooked' we got!

Sky61...I too like being comfortable in my clothes but still looking as good as I can. That's why over the last few years I've changed my way of dressing. My swimsuit cover ups are either long tunics or have elastic at the waist. This makes it easier to wear them with my capris. Like I said above, I get most of them at TJ Maxx and Marshalls so I rarely spend more than $20 on them and I try to get them at the end of the swimwear season when I can get them for $10-$12. I have several of them.

Yeah, Cabo was great. But, I really do miss cruising. I was hooked from my first cruise back when I was 19 and sailed on the Jamaica Queen out of Miami !:)

Edited by mousey

Thanks for the positive comments RE the 2 strapless dresses...they will have a good chance of making The Next Cruise; especially since we have 2 nights in NOLA before boarding the shipicon14.gif.

Mousey: I, too, love your cover-up and Capris style.

The cotton drawstring Capris are IMO, brilliant! Is there a website to go to, or do you buy them in a brick & mortar store?

Yes! Cruising is an addiction!! DH and I both have it:cool::). We aren't get-in-the-water, snorkeling types; but LOVE dipping our toes in the Caribbean and/or floating on a mat with the sun warming our cold northeastern US bodies:rolleyes:.

Indiana,

Like the others, I love the two strapless dresses and the new Ralph Lauren one. Do as my teen daughter does as she tries to dress "within dress code" at school--simply put a bolero sweater or other dressy sweater with the strapless and no one will think you are too old to wear them!

Hello Caribbean cruising fashionistas! (This is my first post on CC, but I've read basically this whole thread). I have a question, Indiana71 mentioned that there was only 1 formal night on her RCI cruise. My very first cruise is coming up in May with RCI. It's a seven night cruise to the Caribbean. Will there be only one formal night since they've changed the rule? I'm confused as to if that's all ships and all routes or what. I don't want to pack two formal dresses and waste the space if there's only one night to wear them. Thank you to anyone that responds!

Hello Caribbean cruising fashionistas! (This is my first post on CC, but I've read basically this whole thread). I have a question, Indiana71 mentioned that there was only 1 formal night on her RCI cruise. My very first cruise is coming up in May with RCI. It's a seven night cruise to the Caribbean. Will there be only one formal night since they've changed the rule? I'm confused as to if that's all ships and all routes or what. I don't want to pack two formal dresses and waste the space if there's only one night to wear them. Thank you to anyone that responds!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thid thread. I was on Freedom of the Seas 1/26 and we had two formal nights.

Edited by geocruiser

Thank you luvscruising and geocruiser! I'm so nervous about planning what to wear, quite honestly I dress very lazily at home and I'm hoping I'll break that habit on the cruise as I want to look nice in photos, since I usually don't like my photo taken to begin with.

Another question, would this dress be appropriate for formal night? Or what accessories should I pair with it to 'dress it up'. It's a periwinkle color and the sparkles are rainbow color, if that makes sense. Here's a picture, if it will load.

egusu6a4.jpg

Another question, would this dress be appropriate for formal night? Or what accessories should I pair with it to 'dress it up'. It's a periwinkle color and the sparkles are rainbow color, if that makes sense. Here's a picture, if it will load.

egusu6a4.jpg

Pretty gown. I would wear large sparkly earing and full hair. Enjoy your cruise and wearing your beautiful dress.

Your dress is awesome!:D I'd keep my makeup to a minimum (the nude look in makeup is happening right now according to Elle magazine) and just wear a pair of long sprakly earnings and maybe a cuff bracelet to match the earrings with a pair of silver-metalic, strapy sandals.

Edited by mousey

Your dress is awesome!:D I'd keep my makeup to a minimum (the nude look in makeup is happening right now according to Elle magazine) and just wear a pair of long sprakly earnings and maybe a cuff bracelet to match the earrings with a pair of silver-metalic, strapy sandals.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear the nude look is in because I only use foundation/mascara on a normal basis. Is it usually cold on the ship? I'd hate to wear the dress then freeze to death.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear the nude look is in because I only use foundation/mascara on a normal basis. Is it usually cold on the ship? I'd hate to wear the dress then freeze to death.

Yes, it can be very cool especially in the MDR. If I were you I'd find some kind of wrap or lightweight jacket or sweater to wear with your beautiful dress. It will also be cool out on deck and in some of the public rooms. I too would hate to hear you "froze to death" because you didn't. LOL! They do sell faux, pashmina scarfs onboard ship in the $10 stores. I get a different colored one everytime I cruise. I don't know if they have them on all cruise lines. I've gotten them on NCL and Carnival.

Abercram: WELCOME to CCF! And a tiara to you for reading the entire thread:).

To be safe, I would pack for 2 Formal nights. During the Q&A session with the captain and other officers, an announcement was made saying RCI's new policy is one Formal night during a cruise of 7 nights or less - apparently that is what the majority of cruisers have been wanting. A call to RCI might answer the question...but you would still not be certain since info is not always accurate. I'm hoping for 2 Formal nights on the Next Cruise and will plan accordingly.

What to Wear with Your Dress - First, it's a beautiful dress and perfect for Formal night. With the sparkles & rainbow-like colors, my suggestion would be to wear pearls (fun ones w/ more than one strand); or silver or gold. IMHO, the dress is the center of attention. Sparkly jewelry could detract - but try different styles before packing. Wear what makes you happy!

A white shawl/pashmina or dressy cardigan is a good idea. If you don't need it, just carry it.

LOVESTX: Good advice! I plan to take a white and a black bolero for the strapless dresses:cool:. Your teen daughter could be a junior CCF;)!

Edited by indiana71

It's been awhile since I checked in. We cruised Breakaway in October and then I went through withdrawl lol. However we are cruising in May so now I can shop again! I have bought a few things in the past couple months, not just for cruising but for my wardrobe in general. I'm sure the LBD I bought will find it's way onto the cruise ship.

I did buy this dress specifically for the cruise. I thought coral would be a perfect cruise color.

azz51492_coral_xl.jpg

Bonus - it was only $12 - free shipping!

And I'm probably going to buy this tomorrow when I get paid. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1616444/lily-rose-crochet-hi-low-chevron-dress-juniors.jsp I can't decide between the blue or pink. What do you think ladies?

I've also been eyeing these tops from Old Navy. Perfect to wear on embarkation day!

23e1585d6fa5720cc238ac3fd797f66e.jpg

827f7f2ba94a8df7e4ef0a0e2325bc6b.jpg

And I'm loving this dress from F21.

d68f64b982abf659c7e9b2fbec80552c.jpg

So much shopping, so little time! 74 days til we're cruising! Our first cruise on Carnival. I'm a little nervous lol.

ETA: Eek! I apologize for the size of that picture. Not sure how to resize it.

Edited by jenny105

jenny105: Beautiful coral dress!! I love the straight lines and the fabric looks very cruise-worthy.

The tops are made for fun in the sun. The Old Navy in our local mall closed:(. Lots of good things missed...

Thanks for sharing and coming back to CCF! Nothing like an upcoming cruise to boost the shopping impulse;):cool:.

I had 30 minutes to kill before my annual wellness check-up...stopped at Goodwill.

Found a skirt (not sure if it's navy or black...) with white splotches. Tags still on it! With a pastel top, it will work for dinner/evening activities.

Also bought 2 knit tops - 1 cobalt blue 3/4 sleeves, the other black sleeveless. Spent under $10:).

jenny105: Beautiful coral dress!! I love the straight lines and the fabric looks very cruise-worthy.

The tops are made for fun in the sun. The Old Navy in our local mall closed:(. Lots of good things missed...

Thanks for sharing and coming back to CCF! Nothing like an upcoming cruise to boost the shopping impulse;):cool:.

I had 30 minutes to kill before my annual wellness check-up...stopped at Goodwill.

Found a skirt (not sure if it's navy or black...) with white splotches. Tags still on it! With a pastel top, it will work for dinner/evening activities.

Also bought 2 knit tops - 1 cobalt blue 3/4 sleeves, the other black sleeveless. Spent under $10:).

Wow, that is definitely a bargain!

whew ..finally finished reading this great thread :-) DH and I went on a cruise in December (7th cruise and we love it) on the Carnival Breeze and here are a few of the accessories that I took :-)

12762183304_5a6450600f_z.jpg

Blue and Purple purse by cat_in_cda, on Flickr

12761738935_91e7eaa1ba_z.jpg

Black Heart purse by cat_in_cda, on Flickr

10634904096_5ff3130dc7_z.jpg

28 by cat_in_cda, on Flickr

10634895245_604b841868_z.jpg

27 by cat_in_cda, on Flickr

10634921944_7827ea6a7c_z.jpg

26 by cat_in_cda, on Flickr

10634949416_a0758d8ce1_z.jpg

25 by cat_in_cda, on Flickr