Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Received an email response from Cruise Critic RE the inability to post photos and the appearance of text as I type. The answer was: "Some servers have updated and that is causing a change. The tech folks at CC are working on compatibility.

I'm using a different browser and the "old style" is back!

Now...to see if a photo will post...YAY YAY YAY!! Looks like I'm going to be leaving google for foxfire:)

Now that the photo is visible: This is an outfit from the December Cruise - the animal print top wouldn't normally be in the Cruise Room, but since the weather during the return trip wasn't conducive to tropical clothing - it fit the occasion.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3478%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2755477%3A%3A%3C244ot1lsi

You look great. You look very young! I can't believe the change in you. What ever you are doing, keep doing it.

You look great. You look very young! I can't believe the change in you. What ever you are doing, keep doing it.

I agree!! With every cruise you're looking younger and younger :) Love the hair!!

Speaking of which .... How much hair "stuff" do you bring? How much do you typically use at home?

Cold Weather Days - On a short cruise in February, I plan on Day 1 & Day 2 to be less than tropical. By dinner on Day 2, the temps are nicer:cool:. On the return trip, Day 5 will be cooler by evening and the rest of the cruise, it's long sleeves.

Hair Stuff - I pack 2 kinds of shampoo, 2 conditioners; some sort of blow out cream or oil and my flat iron.

Thank you all for the very nice compliments! Nothing like cruising to keep old age away;):cool:

My husband likes that "Mozilla Firefox" browser too! You look amazing Indiana!! I don't remember seeing the animal print top on you, I love it!! Maybe now I can convince my husband that we need to cruise more often to stay young!! Thanks for the "cupcake" purse info! I'm living the clutch-that oughta hold my sea pass card in style! I'm a fan of your outfit that is black shorts with a white top, did that one make the cut this trip?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well, my plan of an afternoon of outfit trying on is delayed :( DH is sick and has taken over the spare room (aka the cruise room). I will try and take some pictures of some things this afternoon as I've bought a few things I could use a second opinion on. Also, I bought some cute cruise worthy shoes that I'm now second guessing.

Also, does anyone know of a good tutorial for easy updo's? I know there's probably tons on youtube, but I'd like some direction as to which ones actually are good before I spend hours and hours.

I realized I forgot to answer my own question!! I'm going to bring my own hair dryer (travel size) as hotel/cruise ones are usually terrible for my hair. I'm also planning my flat iron, some mousse (aussie sprunch), hairspray (no idea what kind), and john freida brunette shampoo and conditioner that I'll put in travel sized containers. Also a brush. a comb and hair elastics. Oh and some pins if I figure out this updo!

I think you changed my mind about how I am going to do my nails for our upcoming cruise. I am going to go for a tropical orange (my skin is too yellow for pinks) on my nails with some designs instead of the typical French manicure that I always tend to lean towards.

Thanks for the inspiration.:)

Peggy

We leave in 2 days to fly down to FL, so my daughter and I got our nails done today.

Here are the links to my ShutterFly page of the gel nails we got:

9 year-old daughter went with a light pink with sparkles and some flowers on her hands and then a bit deeper color of pink with sparkles on her toes.

https://fashionabletravel.shutterfly.com/pictures/17#17

I went for a festive orange on my nails and toes, and a few feathered designs on my ring fingers in blue and silver (the blue kind of matches my hair).

https://fashionabletravel.shutterfly.com/pictures/17#15

So fun! Thanks again ladies for the inspiration!

Received an email response from Cruise Critic RE the inability to post photos and the appearance of text as I type. The answer was: "Some servers have updated and that is causing a change. The tech folks at CC are working on compatibility.

I'm using a different browser and the "old style" is back!

Now...to see if a photo will post...YAY YAY YAY!! Looks like I'm going to be leaving google for foxfire:)

Now that the photo is visible: This is an outfit from the December Cruise - the animal print top wouldn't normally be in the Cruise Room, but since the weather during the return trip wasn't conducive to tropical clothing - it fit the occasion.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3478%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2755477%3A%3A%3C244ot1lsi

You look really fabulous! I needed this inspiration today too in order to get myself to a place where I could pack something a bit warmer in my bag too...your outfit helped so much. It turns out that Miami is expecting a high of 63 on Wednesday when we are set to get on our ship. Oh well, at least it isn't the -16 we are leaving here in MN Tuesday morning!:eek:

Peggy

wrcjr98: Black shorts outfit didn't make the cut. Since this is only a 7 Night cruise...in February...from New Jersey, I'm taking only 1 pair of shorts:eek: to be worn in Nassau and/or CocoCay. The rest of my "warm weather" outfits are Capris.

The April Cruise out of New Orleans will have shorts, for sure:cool:.

mployhar - Love, love the nails. Your daughter's are adorable. Perfect for a young CCF. And yours - Wow! Thanks for sharing:).

I've decided not to pack early (weeks in advance). Everything is out and displayed so there's an opportunity to make a switch if I change my mind...Packing will happen Feb 3. We'll see how THAT new philosophy holds up...

wrcjr98: Black shorts outfit didn't make the cut. Since this is only a 7 Night cruise...in February...from New Jersey, I'm taking only 1 pair of shorts:eek: to be worn in Nassau and/or CocoCay. The rest of my "warm weather" outfits are Capris.

The April Cruise out of New Orleans will have shorts, for sure:cool:.

mployhar - Love, love the nails. Your daughter's are adorable. Perfect for a young CCF. And yours - Wow! Thanks for sharing:).

I've decided not to pack early (weeks in advance). Everything is out and displayed so there's an opportunity to make a switch if I change my mind...Packing will happen Feb 3. We'll see how THAT new philosophy holds up...

Your seven night ruise should be a nice change for you over the winter. Back in the 1970's I did many seven night cruises from NYC. Back then it was on Home Lines and the ship was Oceanic. I loved tht line.

I am packing now to leave on Sunday. Most times I am packe two weeks ahead. (Well our stuff is folded and on the bed two weeks before). Late this time because of the delay of getting to our winter home.

Okay, so I couldn't resist going to the Cruise Room...and doing more packing:rolleyes:.

...But that was after a walk through Penney's and a pair of pants that are a MUCH better choice than a pair hanging on the CR closet door.

The pants hanging on the closet door were Talbot's cords - raspberry...but they are more jeans than pants suitable for dinner. So-o-o at Penney's, I saw a pair of black & white stripe sorta lightweight fabric that will be a better choice. The accompanying pink Ralph Lauren pullover will be happier matched with pants that are a little nicer.

geocruiser: Have a Delightful cruise and tell us all about it...and outfits photos:cool:

Edited by indiana71

Okay, so I couldn't resist going to the Cruise Room...and doing more packing:rolleyes:.

...But that was after a walk through Penney's and a pair of pants that are a MUCH better choice than a pair hanging on the CR closet door.

The pants hanging on the closet door were Talbot's cords - raspberry...but they are more jeans than pants suitable for dinner. So-o-o at Penney's, I saw a pair of black & white stripe sorta lightweight fabric that will be a better choice. The accompanying pink Ralph Lauren pullover will be happier matched with pants that are a little nicer.

geocruiser: Have a Delightful cruise and tell us all about it...and outfits photos:cool:

Thank you. I am looking forward to this cruise. I hope in Feb to learn to post pictures so I can show pictures of the clothes that I made. I just finished four purses to go with them.

geocruiser: I (and other CCFs, too) would love to see photos of your purses. So cool to have them match outfits:cool:.

It's hard to believe that warm weather exists SOMEWHERE on this planet:rolleyes:. It's been frigid here in PA and no warm-up in sight...except to jump on a cruise ship and head to the Caribbean...

geocruiser: I (and other CCFs, too) would love to see photos of your purses. So cool to have them match outfits:cool:.

It's hard to believe that warm weather exists SOMEWHERE on this planet:rolleyes:. It's been frigid here in PA and no warm-up in sight...except to jump on a cruise ship and head to the Caribbean...

After I get settled back in I will try to learn how to post pictures with the help of CCF's. I put a link into favorites that tell how to do it. I just finished two envelope type pruses to go with ttttwo Asian tope that I made. They came out good.

The tops are short view.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKs82NEMkwVzWNDyE6oI4yTrw4mHdEJN47r7bSKt5nCNGAI5GfYQ

Blouse fabric

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alexander-Henry-Lady-Yang-Asian-Metallic-Gold-Print-fabric-yard-/281222756512?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Around the neck and the bag are made of this.

http://www.joann.com/premium-quilt-fabric-michi-kanji-black/8334021.html#prefn1=isProject&start=91&sz=90&prefv1=false

The second one is made from this.

http://www.joann.com/fabric/quilting/premium-quilting-fabric/#prefn1=isProject&sz=90&prefv1=false

The collar and the purse are made of a black fabric that has gold and silver running through it in a wavey pattern.

Edited by geocruiser

Indiana 71 , thank you for starting this thread. I have really enjoyed reading all these post on fashion. I really like that it is so positive and all you ladies are so helpful to each other. :) I'm going on a 7 night cruise with my husband, sister and niece on March 23 ,2014. Eastern Caribbean. It will be my second cruise. I have started a cruise room thanks to you :) I have bought a few new pieces and will bring a few from the last cruise. If I figure out how to post pics I will. I do have a question for you ladies. I am trying to decide what to wear on the plane. I want to be comfortable but not look like a slob LOL. I was thinking maybe a tunic and leggings? My lower legs and ankles tend to swell when flying. Jeans are too restrictive when sitting for long periods. I think I read on here about travel pants from Chicos. We have one in our city I might check them out today. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

I want the CUPCAKE purse!! Is it a recent find? I absolutely love it!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I saw the cupcake purse at HomeGoods/TJ Maxx yesterday while shopping in Nashville. Check out those stores if you have one near you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

2013Cruiser: Welcome to CCF! Seeing a new poster is always exciting - more to learn, more suggestions:)

You didn't mention a departure port. I'm going to assume it's a warm weather venue and suggest you wear the leggings and tunic...with a light-weight top under the tunic. That way, you can remove the top layer and still look good AND be dressed appropriately for the temperature. (If it's a cold weather port, you might want to wear a layer underneath just to keep warm;)).

Please come back and tell us what you chose.

JacqueOCS - There's a TJ Maxx in my small town and the selection of handbags is always interesting. Very cool to hear the D&B Cupcake has been spotted:)!

With the unfriendly weather prediction this week, my Going-Out will be limited to Thursday (since that's our regular Cocktail Hour GetTogether Day)...TJ Maxx is on my shopping itinerary.

Yeah, yeah...my suitcase is almost packed..."almost" is the key word here...maybe TJ Maxx will have some warm weather inspiration!

Indiana, what day are you going on your cruise? What ship are you going on?

We will be cruising this coming Feb. 15th and I just can't get motivated to get the packing done. Usually I am all packed at least 3 weeks before the cruise but this time.........

How do you get into the mood to pack? What is your secret?

Have a great day,

Gerry

fyree39- I thought it might be the most comfortable or maybe a sundress.

indiana71- We are flying from Little Rock, AR to Fort Lauderdale, FL. Your idea of layering is a good idea. I tend to get cold on the plane. We also sailed out of Ft Lauderdale last March. The weather was perfect, not to hot. This time we will be staying a day and half before the cruise. I think we are going to hang out at the beaches and pool.

The sun is shinning here today, but still chilly 38 degrees.

Does anyone know of any good places to eat in Fort Lauderdale? Has anyone taken the free trolly? Or is it best to get a cab? What beach is the best to visit? We did not have much time in Ft Lauderdale on our last trip, so this time we want to do as much as possible. No excurisions just winging it. :)

Have a good day ladies.

TNGALOHA: We cruise Feb 2 on Explorer...yes, the RCCL that has been in the news. Nurovirus (or whatever is determined to be the culprit) is reported to be nasty:(. I don't want to experience it! But the latest outbreak would never stop us from cruising. All cruise lines work diligently to prevent the spread of germs.

Packing Motivation:

1. I print out the little forms for each outfit that is needed, i.e., Dinner each day, At Sea Daytime, Formal Night, etc.

2. Lay out those forms on the Cruise Room dresser. (At this point, all clothes & accessories are out of sight and I might not be all that enthused to get started...It's been a busy couple of months and The Next Cruise might not have been on my mind as much)

3. Open the drawers, lay out shorts, tops on the bed. Open the closet. Set out all shoes. Accessories & jewelry out.

(NOW I've made a commitment because the room is full of Potential Cruise Outfits:cool:)...bright colors...memories of past cruises...how much fun the Next Cruise will be. Slowly...the enthusiasm returns.

4. Caribbean music playing

5. Referring to the Cruise Itinerary, start putting outfits together (this is the most fun, most creative part for me), usually starting with Formal Night since I don't have that many cocktail dresses, etc. to pick from.

Taking that first step is key to a Happy Packing Experience:):cool:!

2013Cruiser: We have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale a couple times, but no particular restaurant was memorable. Never did the trolley...sorry I can't answer your questions. I'm sure another CCF will have better info.

438384_A713_FF_I8O?fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.5,1,3,0&icc=sRGB%20IEC61966-2.1,relative&iccEmbed=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=4.47427293064877&id=O1ruD1

Just ordered this coverup from Land's End...but hoping it will work as a dress for a casual day or maybe even dinner. One of the reviewers said she wears it as a dress. Today ONLY (1/28) save 30% off highest priced item!

Now I must wait 6-8 days...there WILL be room in the suitcase...:cool::) Fingers crossed that it will fit

Edited by indiana71

438384_A713_FF_I8O?fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.5,1,3,0&icc=sRGB%20IEC61966-2.1,relative&iccEmbed=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=4.47427293064877&id=O1ruD1

Just ordered this coverup from Land's End...but hoping it will work as a dress for a casual day or maybe even dinner. One of the reviewers said she wears it as a dress. Today ONLY (1/28) save 30% off highest priced item!

Now I must wait 6-8 days...there WILL be room in the suitcase...:cool::) Fingers crossed that it will fit

I like this a lot, it is perfect for the Caribbean! I would wear it as a casual dress. I am really in love with the color coral right now. I might have to find a few accessories or a top in that color. ;)

No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning every detail of every outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say!

Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate???

It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.

In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.

Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?

When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper.

Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.

Oh good, it isn't just me:) All surfaces in the guest bedroom are covered with shoes, outfits, jewelry, etc...

Indiana, what day are you going on your cruise? What ship are you going on?

We will be cruising this coming Feb. 15th and I just can't get motivated to get the packing done. Usually I am all packed at least 3 weeks before the cruise but this time.........

How do you get into the mood to pack? What is your secret?

Have a great day,

Gerry

Ack!! This is my problem too!! I'm blaming the weather. Last weekend we cranked the heat in the house so I could at least try on some clothes without freezing. Right now, everything is still sitting in piles on the bed. We fly out on Feb 9th. I need to get my butt in gear!!

Of course it will fit!! What a cute dress - I'm sure it will look fabulous on you!!