Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

TNGALOHA: We cruise Feb 2 on Explorer...yes, the RCCL that has been in the news. Nurovirus (or whatever is determined to be the culprit) is reported to be nasty:(. I don't want to experience it! But the latest outbreak would never stop us from cruising. All cruise lines work diligently to prevent the spread of germs.

Not that it is any of my business, Indiana, but when I go to the Royal Caribbean website it says that the Explorer is departing from Cape Liberty tomorrow (January 31). Perhaps I am confused. But since I am visiting my parents in NJ right now, the local news is flooded with the news of people disembarking the Explorer yesterday and they said it was leaving again tomorrow. Maybe you are planning to catch up with the ship a couple of days after it leaves port.

Not that it is any of my business, Indiana, but when I go to the Royal Caribbean website it says that the Explorer is departing from Cape Liberty tomorrow (January 31). Perhaps I am confused. But since I am visiting my parents in NJ right now, the local news is flooded with the news of people disembarking the Explorer yesterday and they said it was leaving again tomorrow. Maybe you are planning to catch up with the ship a couple of days after it leaves port.

I think Nancy had a touch of "memory virus" :D. She is leaving on the 9th with me..or we may just pick her up along the highway somewhere..;)

Sorry about posting the incorrect departure date...at the time it was wishful thinking to leave a week earlier. Now I'm kinda relieved that our group cruises Feb 9. Maybe Mother Nature will allow the sun to warm our part of the planet by then:cool::)

I hit the jackpot at Goodwill today! Tried on at least a dozen tops and bought many of them. Don't have time to empty the bag and put them away (it's Thursday...Cocktail Hour is approaching;))...but tomorrow I will give a full report and perhaps a photo.

It would be nice if there had been bottoms to try on - but really, if the Capris/pants/shorts are a solid/neutral, no one remembers them. It's the top that is noticed.

Listen to the deal I scored last week! I parked at an outlet store at the local mall and was passing through on my way to another store when I saw a dress out of the corner of my eye that instantly made me think of my upcoming cruise. When I stopped by to get a closer look on my way back through, I noticed that it was my size and marked down to 95% off!!! Plus, since it was Friday, I got an additional 15%!

Grand Total: $1.17 after taxes!

The best part is that it fits me like a dream!

390744853689.jpg

kellane: You are crowned Queen of CCFs today:). Perfect Cruise Dress at a fantastic price. Good for you:cool:!!

My Goodwill shopping spree cost me a bit more per item, but I'm pleased to add 12 tops to my wardrobe...not all are Cruise Worthy - an Eddie Bauer navy cardi and 2 other long sleeve tops for winter.

These 2 tops aren't highend brands, but I'm trying to add more solid colors for Cruising. I liked the neckline on these and the colors work. The next post shows a basic knit T (Brooks Bros) with 2 possible Leaving-from-a-Cold-Weather port sweater w/ necklace.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3C2%3C%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2763366%3B59244ot1lsi

The tan knit T should get lots of wear. Here are 2 possible choices when leaving from a Winter Weather Port. (not this cruise, though...that outfit is ready!)

The necklaces IMHO, make them fun...even when it's too cold to be on deck during SailAway...(even sideways, you can see it:rolleyes:)

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv67%3A6%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2763366%3B5%3C244ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv562%3C%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2763366%3B5%3B244ot1lsi

...a couple more photos next post...

More tops in the brown family...the beige sleeveless top is Ann Taylor Factory (I couldn't find anything wrong with it...) paired with a sheer print blouse that will go with beige dress pants for dinner.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5826%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2763366%3B58244ot1lsi

What do you think about these 2?? Cruise worthy?? The Polo orange top doesn't fit my image of "tropical" but I like the color. And if we ever cruise again on a national holiday, the stripe top with stars will go along.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3A6%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3672457%3A69335nu0mrj

All together my 12 tops cost $4.00 each. I'll share the last photo...but this outfit won't be cruising...but the new top just might make it...

Another sideways photo:rolleyes:. Can't tell in the picture, but the pants are skinny knit (what DH fondly calls "Elf Pants":o).

My gray ankle pants and ballet flats could be paired with the top....

My binge posting is done now!

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9426%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2763366%3B63244ot1lsi

Hello ladies I am back again...it has been a long time since I have posted. But I keep reading :) I am about to go on my first Caribbean Cruise in about 3 years :D. So I thought I would wave. I am getting out my floral and bright colors as I type :) creating my wardrobes and counting my shoes :)

tmee

Sorry about posting the incorrect departure date...at the time it was wishful thinking to leave a week earlier. Now I'm kinda relieved that our group cruises Feb 9. Maybe Mother Nature will allow the sun to warm our part of the planet by then:cool::)

I hit the jackpot at Goodwill today! Tried on at least a dozen tops and bought many of them. Don't have time to empty the bag and put them away (it's Thursday...Cocktail Hour is approaching;))...but tomorrow I will give a full report and perhaps a photo.

It would be nice if there had been bottoms to try on - but really, if the Capris/pants/shorts are a solid/neutral, no one remembers them. It's the top that is noticed.

I was so relieved to come online this morning and see this! For some reason, I didn't get an email telling me that there were new postings on CCF thread yesterday so I had this vision of you seeing my post, realizing you'd made a mistake and throwing everything in the cruise room into suitcases and racing to Cape Liberty!! So glad to see you had the dates wrong. It will give them more time to clean the ship for you :)

I think you did amazingly well at Goodwill. And again I compliment you on your fashion 'eye'. You do a great job of creating outfits out of your closet.

Kellane, i LOVE that maxi dress and must say I envy you. Would love to have that in my closet.

Indiana71 et al,

My daughter and her husband, who have been living with me and DH for 2.5 years, have recently moved out after graduating college, so right now I am cleaning the entire upstairs (2 BR, 1 bath, 1 small closet, 2 large) in preparation of setting up my own cruise room! I am so excited to finally get my own, after reading about yours for so long. One room will be set up as a conventional guest bedroom, the one closest to the bathroom, but the other I am going to set up as a living room/lounge. It has the biggest closet and that's going to be my cruise room. That will leave me the most open floor space for trying on clothes. I am going to move some of my shoe & boot collection up there too, as my own closet is getting a little embarrassing. Plus its so crowded, I can't see what I have.

I'm as excited as can be to be able to spread out and start putting together some new combination outfits and break out of the rut of the few tried-and-true ones I've got going right now. I'll be able to see where I need to supplemment my wardrobe, as well, I think.

Betty

tmee: I'm waving back:cool:icon14.gif! Love reading that you are packing floral & bright colors - that's what cruising to the Caribbean is made for:).

bettyem: Yay!! First cudos to you & your DH for providing housing for your DD & her DH.

Now it's your turn:cool:. Here are a couple suggestions that may or may not be useful for setting up a Cruise Room:

1. Attach a decorative board w/ hooks to the wall so you can hang outfits out in the open.

2. Stackable plastic drawer units are handy for shoes &/or misc items. (I keep travel documents, luggage tags, journal, etc. in one of the shallow drawers)

3. Craft stores sell plastic divided boxes w/ lids for bead supplies. I use several of them for earrings (silver, gold, neutrals in one; colors in another).

4. A full-length mirror is essential (I would love to have 2 so back & front can be seen).

lovestx: Whew!! Can't believe I posted an early departure date:confused:...my To Do List would have been totally unfinished!

Okays CCFs...the last post was 3 days ago! Are we all busy packing:cool::)...or out shopping for supplies to get us through the NEXT snow event:confused:???

The Land's End dress arrived today. Usually, I would try it on right away...but winter has come to stay. After a shower, when the bathroom is warm & steamy, the sleeveless, bright colored dress will feel better:cool:!

After The Next Cruise, it won't be long until the suitcases are open and ready once again:). Early April we fly to New Orleans and cruise on Serenade of the Seas. Another short 7-Nighter, but with a couple days in The Big Easy, it will be another fun vacation...BUT one cruise at a time;)...

Mother Nature - stop already!!:eek: Dirty snow has been plowed from the street...into our front yard; so I look out at a black street and piled up yukky snow.

BUT with eyes closed, a kaleidoscope of tropical colors fills my head and the weather is forgotten...until the snow plow makes another pass and pushes more dirty stones and snow:rolleyes:!

The Land's End dress fits (considering that it's really a loose-fitting cover-up!). I have a little woven belt and jewelry to dress it up a bit and will pack the outfit as an extra...can't hurt to have a couple extra pieces!

Edited by indiana71

Nice haul, indiana71! I picked up a pullover sweater and a cardigan at my local Goodwill this past weekend for $3 a piece! I was hoping for cruise clothes, but I won't complain.

Cute coverup as well! So glad that it fit you. I love the idea of it doubling as an additional outfit for you with some simple accessories.

Our buses depart at 5:30 AM Sunday! Since DH is the Tour Conductor, he will want to leave our house at 5 AM...so how much time do I need to get ready...what time should my alarm clock ringicon5.gif

Shower, makeup, hair, get dressed = 45 minutes.

Bedroom, bathrooms quick cleanup, last minute chores = 15 minutes.

Looks like a 4 AM wake-up time:eek: - The alarm has never awakened me on the Day We Leave for a Cruise...too excited to get the party started:cool:!

QUESTION: Do you have a ritual before leaving your house for a cruise?

Edited by indiana71

Our buses depart at 5:30 AM Sunday! Since DH is the Tour Conductor, he will want to leave our house at 5 AM...so how much time do I need to get ready...what time should my alarm clock ringicon5.gif

Looks like a 4 AM wake-up time:eek: - The alarm has never awakened me on the Day We Leave for a Cruise...too excited to get the party started:cool:!

Have a great cruise. Enjoy yourself.

My ritual is that I check (twice) to see if stove is off and all water is off. Then bag outeside and I check to see that nothing is left inside. I then check my handbag to tickets and wallet.

Bon Voyage, Indiana~ How wonderful to be getting out of this cold and snowy winter! Guessing you are driving straight to the port.

Your morning ritual sounds about like mine, although I might shave 10 minutes off your plan and would definitely add COFFEE to the mix of important activities :) I hate to return to a messy house so I try to be as neat and cleaned up the night before. Then a quick garbage toss in the morning and I'm good to go.

Last year, we flew to our beloved St. Croix (I know, not a cruise!) on a 5:30 a.m. flight. But we had to get our daughter to the airport for her school trip to South Africa by 3:30 a.m. Now THAT made for a 2 a.m. wake up call. Brutal but worth it in the end.

Safe travels :)

We've been monitoring the weather. Earlier in the week we heard about snow that could slow down our 2 buses heading to Bayonne...but this morning, the local weatherperson doesn't think it will be more than a dusting:).

I WANT TO BE ON MY SHIP ASAP:eek:!!

Keep the posts going. I'll be back Feb 10.

24 hours from now (11 AM) we should have less than 2 hours to go:cool:. I will not be checking in again before Departure.

Luggage is ready to put in DH's truck. The house is clean, last laundry load is in the dryer.

Explorer of the Seas - Here We Come:cool::)!

The only opportunity for shopping is in Cocoa Beach, Florida...there IS room in a suitcase, just in case...;)

Edited by indiana71

We've been monitoring the weather. Earlier in the week we heard about snow that could slow down our 2 buses heading to Bayonne...but this morning, the local weatherperson doesn't think it will be more than a dusting:).

I WANT TO BE ON MY SHIP ASAP:eek:!!

Keep the posts going. I'll be back Feb 10.

24 hours from now (11 AM) we should have less than 2 hours to go:cool:. I will not be checking in again before Departure.

Luggage is ready to put in DH's truck. The house is clean, last laundry load is in the dryer.

Explorer of the Seas - Here We Come:cool::)!

The only opportunity for shopping is in Cocoa Beach, Florida...there IS room in a suitcase, just in case...;)

Have a great trip. In cocoa Beach you might want to go to Bealls to shop.