Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Our buses returned yesterday at 6:30 PM - the vehicles we parked a week before were covered with a foot of snow:eek:! The roads were clear most of the way home, except for the last hour of snow and a short time of whiteout conditions. Thank goodness the bus drivers were careful and did a fantastic job!

The warmest days were the 3 ports of call: Port Canaveral, Nassau and Cococay...except that just as we were sitting down to the Barbecue/Picnic-Style lunch on Cococay - it began to rain - by the bucketsful:eek:. Needless to say, we were soaked just waiting in line for the tenders. And then it was a rockin' rollin' trip. Again we had excellent "drivers" and everyone was safe - even with the ramp from the tender to the ship moving!

I will post a couple photos in the next couple of days. Not many shorts outfits, and swimsuit didn't get worn.

BUT - we had a wonderful cruise with the 100+ local folks:).

Oh yeah - we signed up for Another Cruise - this one out of Port Canaveral on December 4. We'll be on Explorer again. Looks like 2014 will be a record setter for us - 4 Cruises:cool:!

RCI has changed their policy for Formal Nights - only 1 if 7 nights or less. We were expecting 2, but the new policy is in effect. Many of us dressed up anyway - including guys in tuxes. Nice to see:). At a Q&A session with the Captain & some officers, we were told that the # of Formal Nights was changed because that's what the majority of guests want...

Have any of you ever cruised with a senior citizen couple who always dress in matching outfits...the wife makes his suits to exactly match her gowns. Yes, I said "gowns", peach, pink, red...and his suit is the same color. Even his SHOES! They are always being stopped, talked to and having photos taken. Also they love to dance. They had 7 suitcases and are a throwback to the early days of cruising:).

Edited by indiana71

I am planning my cruise fashions for my next cruise, not until Sept. We will be going to the North so I will need some layering.

When I buy clothes I buy things I love, either style or color.

Having said all of that, How do you fashionistas decide which of your favorites go on a cruise and which stay home?? I want to take everything, and because we are driving to port, I could probably do that.:D Do you plan to wear things more than once, do you take more than you will need for options or do you plan for each port, each dinner and each sea day???

I think because I have been building my wardrobe I am more confused than ever and really need to be disciplined.

Your wise suggestions will be appreciated!

Let me add that every time I buy clothes or shoes I keep cruising in mind.

Edited by luvscruising2007

I am planning my cruise fashions for my next cruise, not until Sept. We will be going to the North so I will need some layering.

When I buy clothes I buy things I love, either style or color.

Having said all of that, How do you fashionistas decide which of your favorites go on a cruise and which stay home?? I want to take everything, and because we are driving to port, I could probably do that.:D Do you plan to wear things more than once, do you take more than you will need for options or do you plan for each port, each dinner and each sea day???

I think because I have been building my wardrobe I am more confused than ever and really need to be disciplined.

Your wise suggestions will be appreciated!

Let me add that every time I buy clothes or shoes I keep cruising in mind.

LOL - so true! I have a lovely and fun 'vacation/cruise' wardrobe but alas due to luggage/airline restrictions I can hardly take ALL of it - even tho i want to!

Very very hard to choose what goes and what stays - but in the end the things that 'match' and can be worn more than once (at least that's the rule I try to use when packing) goes in - except for formal wear which I don't expect to wear more than once.....

Just got a new 'sweater' for my last cruise - so cute - and I only wore it once - but had to bring it along cuz it was new and bought especially for the cruise :)

.....my next challenge again will be packing for a long transatlantic in October - and I suspect there will be stress and tears :p...as I try to decide what to bring along - and not going on Carnival so no free laundry this time which is a bummer! Oh well worst case scenario is I have to pay the 'overweight 'luggage fee if required!:eek:

luvscruising2007: A great question...but not so much fun when you can't decide what to take. :confused:

First of all - you're lucky to have lots to choose from!

Here's how I decide What to Wear:

- Formal nights are easiest. Not as many components involved and cocktail dresses are the least plentiful items in the Cruise Room.

- Sometimes I start with a favorite piece of jewelry - one that hasn't gotten to go recently.

icon14.gifIf you have LOTS of favorite casual pieces, i.e. Capris or tops. Start by having them all on display (hanging or even just laying on a bed). Which one do you go to first? That's the one you select. And keep going.

- Generally, extra outfits aren't included in my packing...but if there's room in the suitcase, a couple versatile items might be added;).

- In any case, pack what makes you happy!

BTW - A couple photos to be posted this evening...

Froufie- It's good to know I am not the only one.

Indiana- Good suggestions, thank you! Definitely putting the garments on display would help choosing. I know I am lucky to have options. But, it has taken several years to get here.:D

I will keep making my lists and then go from there. When I can look ahead to weather it will help. If we were going to the Caribbean it would be easier.

This is my Day 2 outfit. Temp is still chilly so Talbot cords and top are happy colors but heavy enough to keep me warm.

Couldn't resist adding the "Cupcake" Dooney & Bourke shoulder bag:).

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9566%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2765396443244ot1lsi

Next day is much nicer - warm enough for lunch on the balcony. Lavender Coldwater Creek Capris, pink knit top...and a cardigan that got lots of wear. The necklace reminds me of my childhood "pop beads". Anyone else remember them?? This necklace is made of colored clay beads and has a matching bracelet. Hoping the white Naot sandals never wear out! They are so-o-o comfortable.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3B%3B4%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276539646%3B244ot1lsi

Don't know why this next photo is blurry...but you can see the Land's End cover-up. With the added belt (just happened to have the right color), this was a casual dinner outfit. White jewelry and white wedges completed the look.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8497%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27653%3A2%3A%3B%3B244ot1lsi

Edited by indiana71

I do remember pop beads. We used to collect them by color and trade them to get what we all wanted. Great memory.:D

Nancy, your outfits look great, so put together. Your Lands End dress looks fine. Love your white shoes. I am looking for something like that in black. What brand are they? I will search on the internet.

Edited by luvscruising2007

luvscrusing2007: The white wedges are Clark's Artisan - very comfortable!

I love wearing red but don't often take it on cruises. Being Valentine's week - and temps in the 60's, this outfit made the spreadsheet. Top is Coldwater Creek, pants are my go-to knit Ralph Lauren, and shoes are those favorite Naots. Should232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4878%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276539%3B577244ot1lsi

er bag is Anne Klein.

The only shorts that got worn - Izod, and the top is Ann Taylor. The flip flops are kid's size Skechers. I bought them for the first cruise (18 cruises ago!). They have palm trees embroidered on them:).

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3B47%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276539%3B569244ot1lsi

Another two great outfits, Nancy. Especially like the bold contrast in the red and white outfit.

Were you surprised that you didn't get much warmth? I thought you'd get more than you did. And how did your first-time cruising friends handle that?

If there are any complaints about the Last Cruise - it's the tropical weather didn't last long enoughicon13.gifBUT, it was better than hometown snow and iceicon14.gif Long sleeved tops and pants in happy colors kept my Cruising State of Mind.

Leaving from New Orleans in April should be better for lighter clothes.

Some folks in our group were first-time cruisers and most would/will go again. One of the guys we saw regularly would pass by and say, "Remember to eat every 2 hours!;)"

I was pleased to see a couple men who complained about dressing for Formal Night on a previous cruise, were looking dapper in their suits/sportcoats and ties. I think they liked the attention from their wives...

It's Time to ReVisit All the Clothes in the Cruise Room.

There are dresses that haven't been worn since early cruise days - strapless, short sundresses that I don't feel as comfortable wearing (that old age appropriate thing...). SO - tomorrow will be a day spent purging.

All clothes (dresses, Capris, tops, everything) will get a look-see. I buy at Goodwill - and give to Goodwill.

Speaking of buying...yesterday I found a dress at TJ Maxx - not exactly cocktail style but will work for Formal Night with the right shoes. Today at jcpenney, I found earrings that could have been made to go with that dress:)...and also a gray & white sundress:):). All items were on sale and the 2 dresses will replace those going to Goodwill.

If I'm motivated, maybe a couple photos...

I like your outfits they are very flattering to you and fun:) It is amazing how well planned pieces with a few choice accessories can change the whole feel of an outfit and make it look put together and complete.

I guess that is the purpose of all our cruise wardrobe planning :D

Hope to finish packing tonight...okay maybe start :)

Somehow my wardrobe for this next cruise turned into a pink theme... (I don't even really particularly care for pink so I don't know how that happened :) ) so I plan on fixing that ;)

tmee

Hi everyone! I'm new posting to this board. Found this thread last week and started reading it from the beginning but then jumped ahead so I could participate. At this point I've read from page 139 till now. You are a fun, stylish and supportive group and I love all the pictures!!

So confession...I, too, love to plan each outfit down to the accessories and usually type it all down by the day (as I noticed on a few of the spreadsheets). I pack very light for land based trips (spent a month in Guatemala four years ago with only one suitcase...that could convert to a backpack). But on my first cruise I regretted not having more choices and wasn't that well planned so I'm a convert to super duper planning!

Plus it's fun, right?!

Our next cruise (Caribbean) leaves April 19th. Our smallish apartment doesn't have space for a separate cruise closet so I am beginning to put outfits together and photograph them, which is how I make up my dressing guide. I also write a written description. I will attach this once I get it done, but in the meantime may ask for some help with a couple of things. To start with I need help with shoes for a formal night...pics and choices will be posted later...

Indiana...that red and white ensemble is adorable on you. Very figure flattering and the color just pops! You also had a red dress that you photographed wearing outside...beautiful! Also I loved LEXIpoo's floral sleeveless...you are so cute and that is just perfect...youthful but classy at the same time. I love that neckline. And thanks to Stitch81 I found Polyvore which is very cool. Haven't fully explored it yet but I like the idea.

Thanks again for sharing your outfits and styling tips! Just bought my first BB cream. Better late than never :)

Caribbean Princess~Western Caribbean~April 2014

Celebrity Millennium~Alaska~July 2014

Celebrity Reflection~Eastern Caribbean~February 2013

Crown Princess~Western Caribbean~February 2011

Edited by sky61

Okay here is quandary number one. What shoes? If I am forced to buy a new pair I will :)

I bought the dress on sale at JC Penney months ago for under $70. The scarf I bought yesterday at Target for 14.99 (found some nice things online at http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/wraps-scarves_9922 but loved this right away so...). The necklace was given to me at Christmas by my five year old niece who paid $1 at a kindergarten gift shopping event put on by the PTO. Pearl earrings, but that could change.

Any advice would be appreciated. The only black heels I have are velvet so not Caribbean worthy?

Edited by sky61

Good grief forgot the pic...ImageUploadedByForums1392995758.416708.jpg.a644164439803aa5f94c51cb7ed4e533.jpg

I prefer the shoes on the left.

Thanks for your input! It's truly a quality problem but I just kept going back and forth and finally realized I should just ask the experts!

sky61 - WELCOME!! It's been awhile since a new poster came onboard. Everyone here loves new ideas, new photos, etc. Looking forward to hearing how you go through The Packing Process:).

Black velvet heels aren't the best choice for the Caribbean. I agree with fyree39, the ones on the left (are they silver?) should work beautifully - they're neutral and dressy.

sky61 - WELCOME!! It's been awhile since a new poster came onboard. Everyone here loves new ideas, new photos, etc. Looking forward to hearing how you go through The Packing Process:).

Black velvet heels aren't the best choice for the Caribbean. I agree with fyree39, the ones on the left (are they silver?) should work beautifully - they're neutral and dressy.

The photo was a bit fuzzy. Yes they are silver. Thanks for the help ladies! DH is going skiing in a week so I'll use the opportunity to spread my stuff all over and come up with a plan. I'll probably be looking for a bit more advice.

I loved the swim coverup that you could wear as a dress Indiana. Where did you buy that? Does anyone else have suggestions on brick and mortar or online stores that have a good variety?

I am a size L and don't like the frumpy things I usually see. For the past few years I've used a long white cotton skirt and paired it with a sleeveless shirt but the skirt is practically see-through from repeated washings so I have to sadly say good-bye. Sniff sniff.

Edited by sky61