Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

MIAMI and PAPENBURG, Germany, Feb. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. has signed a letter of intent with shipyard Meyer Werft to build the first of a new generation of Royal Caribbean International cruise ships. Developed under the code-name "Project Sunshine," the new vessel design incorporates new and exciting features that take advantage of the best of Royal Caribbean's experience and imagination. The project is a result of over a year of dedicated research and development.

The order calls for one ship to be delivered in the Fall of 2014 with an option for a second ship for Spring 2015. The 158,000 Gross Registered Tons (GRT) new build will carry just over 4,100 guests based on double occupancy. The estimated all-in cost per berth is about euro 170,000. This all-in cost includes the yard's base contract price plus everything needed to design, operate and build the vessel, from architect fees to supervision costs and all loose inventories from computers to art and bed linens.

"Royal Caribbean has worked hard to earn a reputation of offering the most innovative ships in the cruise industry and this next generation will not disappoint," said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. "While we continue our policy of keeping our newest ideas and features under wraps during the early stages of construction, I can say that I am very excited about the passion and imagination that our teams have devoted to the project. Project Sunshine builds on the best ideas of our existing ships and adds exciting new activities and entertainment concepts. It will offer features for everyone: from grand, spectacular spaces to small intimate settings; from active, invigorating activities to the serenity of more personal space; and from a plethora of dining alternatives to a cornucopia of opportunities for families. I am also excited about the energy efficiency and environmental technologies which have been incorporated. Our existing ships are some of the most energy efficient in the world and Project Sunshine takes this one further step. Based on our over 20 years of experience with Meyer Werft, along with their compelling proposal, we know they will deliver on all of the innovations Royal Caribbean's guests have come to expect."

"Meyer Werft is pleased to be working with Royal Caribbean especially in light of their reputation for building such innovative ships. I am very happy we are continuing our long time partnership with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and its brand Royal Caribbean International. Their projects always present incredible opportunities for Meyer Werft to create the latest cutting edge hardware in the cruise industry," said Bernard Meyer, managing partner of Meyer Werft shipyard.

The letter of intent is subject to customary conditions being satisfactorily met.

Source Royal Caribean Limited.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft to build the first of a new generation of Royal Caribbean International cruise ships code-named ‘Project Sunshine.’

The tonnage of the new design is 158,000, with double-occupancy capacity of 4,100.

The order calls for one ship to be delivered in fall 2014 with an option for a second ship for spring 2015 delivery.

The estimated all-in cost per berth is approximately €170,000, including the yard’s base contract price, architect fees, supervision costs and all loose inventories, from computers to art and bed linens.

‘Royal Caribbean has worked hard to earn a reputation of offering the most innovative ships in the cruise industry and this next generation will not disappoint,’ said Richard Fain, chairman and ceo of Royal Caribbean.

‘Project Sunshine builds on the best ideas of our existing ships and adds exciting new activities and entertainment concepts. It will offer features for everyone: from grand, spectacular spaces to small intimate settings; from active, invigorating activities to the serenity of more personal space; and from a plethora of dining alternatives to a cornucopia of opportunities for families.’

Fain also expressed excitement about the energy efficiency and environmental technologies which have been incorporated. He said the Project Sunshine ships take efficiency ‘one further step’ from the company’s already highly efficient new vessels

I am very surprised at the tonnage. I was hoping for something in between Radiance class and Voyager class. This ship will have to be a radically different design considering that it isn't much larger than the Freedom class ships. Otherwise they may as well just build another Freedom class ship.

HHHmmmmm....thought "Project Sunshine" was going on the smaller side....guess that went out the door as this is slated to fall between Oasis and Freedom class.

The 158,000 Gross Registered Tons (GRT) new build will carry just over 4,100 guests based on double occupancy.

I am hoping for a radically different design. I wonder how long it will take for RCI to release some renderings of the Sunshine Class.

Don't think that we will see anything more than a rendering of the exterior profile of the ship like they did with Genesis. Fain stated that they are going to keep things under wrap on what features the ship will have. Believe me, they will drag this one out. They have three years to try and peak everyone's interest.

Don't think that we will see anything more than a rendering of the exterior profile of the ship like they did with Genesis. Fain stated that they are going to keep things under wrap on what features the ship will have. Believe me, they will drag this one out. They have three years to try and peak everyone's interest.

I don't know if I can take 3 years of CC rumors:eek::rolleyes:

I just hope that they don't name the first ship Sunshine of the Seas.:rolleyes: I also hope that RCI never looses sight of it pleasing asthetic lines. Please do not turn out something that looks like the Epic.

I understand the need to keep things intersting but I really hope that all of these new builds and one ups-man-ship doesn't do the cruise lines what it did to the old classic lines of the past.

I'f I'm reading this correctly, I believe Sunshine Class will be slightly smaller than Freedom....by about 2000 GT.

Actually you will need to click on the individual ships to see the true GT.......shows 154,407 GT instead of the 160,000 GT on the "Freedom Class" page (thought the same as you until looking on the individual ships pages).

Bruce

Freedom class ships are 158,000 GRT, so actually as big as the Freedom class ships. Wondering why they haven't ordered a 4th and 5th ship @ STX (Aker)

Freedom Ship Facts:

Maiden Voyage: June 4, 2006

Passenger Capacity: 3,634 double occupancy; 4,375 maximum

Godmother: Katherine Louise Calder

Gross Tonnage: 154,407

Length: 1,112'

Max Beam: 183.4'

Draft: 28'

Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots

Archived