Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

The ships (or ship) won't be called Sunshine of the Seas. If you recall Oasis Class was originally called Project Genesis.

And if I recall correctly...

The "Voyager" class was actually called "Eagle" Class.

And "Freedom" class was called "Ultra-Voyager" class.

I'm glad they finally went public on this! :D

I've posted the fact that the next generation was going to be between the Freedom and Oasis classes numerous time on other threads but nobody believed me or my source! Oh well what can you do? :D

Now the facts are out! Eat Cake ya meanies! :p

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4367

mum, mum, mum:D

Although I was thinking that a class of ship in between Radiance and Voyager sounded amazing, I feel a Freedom size with new amenities (or old ones we love) will be awesome.

So glad it won't be bigger than Oasis...I think you need two weeks on that ship to do it all!

Looking forward to reading about all the guesses ( I mean factual information obtained from reliable sources) that will appear here on CC!:p:D

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft to build the first of a new generation of Royal Caribbean International cruise ships code-named ‘Project Sunshine.’

The tonnage of the new design is 158,000, with double-occupancy capacity of 4,100.

The order calls for one ship to be delivered in fall 2014 with an option for a second ship for spring 2015 delivery.

The estimated all-in cost per berth is approximately €170,000, including the yard’s base contract price, architect fees, supervision costs and all loose inventories, from computers to art and bed linens.

‘Royal Caribbean has worked hard to earn a reputation of offering the most innovative ships in the cruise industry and this next generation will not disappoint,’ said Richard Fain, chairman and ceo of Royal Caribbean.

‘Project Sunshine builds on the best ideas of our existing ships and adds exciting new activities and entertainment concepts. It will offer features for everyone: from grand, spectacular spaces to small intimate settings; from active, invigorating activities to the serenity of more personal space; and from a plethora of dining alternatives to a cornucopia of opportunities for families.’

Fain also expressed excitement about the energy efficiency and environmental technologies which have been incorporated. He said the Project Sunshine ships take efficiency ‘one further step’ from the company’s already highly efficient new vessels

You are a CC member since 2006 and this is your very first post ever:eek:

Talk about being a "lurker"! I agree, first post after being a CC member for 5 years! :eek:

A question for you math wizards out there. It was mentioned that this new ship will have over 400 more passengers than the Freedom class with about the same GRT. That would make the pasenger/space ratio worse. The question is; there have been a lot of complaints about the Carnival Dream feeling more crowded than the Oasis even though the Oasis can carry more passengers. So how does this new build ratio compare with the Dream?

Gregg

A question for you math wizards out there. It was mentioned that this new ship will have over 400 more passengers than the Freedom class with about the same GRT. That would make the pasenger/space ratio worse. The question is; there have been a lot of complaints about the Carnival Dream feeling more crowded than the Oasis even though the Oasis can carry more passengers. So how does this new build ratio compare with the Dream?

Gregg

The Dream has a 36:1 space ratio.

The Sunshine Class ships will have a 38.5:1 space ratio.

I noticed in the CC article about the new build that it was "hinted" that there would be cabins designed for the single cruiser. I just hope RCI takes the NCL concept and makes it better like making balconies for singles unlike the Epic's all interior single cabin's.

Well we are starting to confuse gross tons with weight. But that aside, I heard somewhere that they wanted to enclose the solarium on the Freedoms but couldn't afford the weight that high up. Maybe they can figure out a way to balance it out this time, but I am relatively sure they are not going to add weight on top without some compensation somewhere else.

OK, I admit it, I love the technical stuff.

I was not confusing GT with weight. Enclosing the Solarium would increase enclosed space, therefore increasing GT.

But you are right about the weight issue. I also heard they cannot add the covers to the current Voyager and Freedom Class due to the added weight up top.

Although I was thinking that a class of ship in between Radiance and Voyager sounded amazing, I feel a Freedom size with new amenities (or old ones we love) will be awesome.

So glad it won't be bigger than Oasis...I think you need two weeks on that ship to do it all!

Looking forward to reading about all the guesses ( I mean factual information obtained from reliable sources) that will appear here on CC!:p:D

I hope there is a solarium, like on the Radiance class, and also a Promenade!

Gregg

We sailed the Dream in November. IMHO, the crowded feeling was due to the lack of thought when designing the ship. Small things make huge differences. For instance, the buffet on the Dream gets "crowded" because when waiting in line to get your food, there is not enough room to allow 2 way traffic due to the placement of the beverage island. There might have been room for 2 people, but when you add in the person waiting and the person getting a drink....now you have 4 people jockeying for the space made to fit just 2....it creates a logjam. I honestly felt that the actual amount of people in the food lines were comparable to the ones I have experienced on Carnival,NCL & RCCL's ships.....its just that RCCL's ships have a design that doesn't create these pinch points, thus it doesn't feel as crowded.

Just Saying!:D

The question is; there have been a lot of complaints about the Carnival Dream feeling more crowded than the Oasis even though the Oasis can carry more passengers. So how does this new build ratio compare with the Dream?

Like INeedAShot just said, the problem with Dream is in the design. CCL has a knack for compromising public space, and it's evident in areas like the lido deck pool area. As noted, the buffet is also poorly designed.

RCI is traditionally much better at designing ships that separate crowds, and I hope Sunshine Class is no exception.

I am only going to post this one time and one time only. 1 GRT = approx. 100 cubic feet of interior space. With that said, smaller GRT on the new class of ship can indeed add more passengers with less space without compromise.

The reason being is that this new class of ship (Sunshine) will need less space for propulson and generation of power due to the Sunshine aspect. This new breed of ocean vessel will utilize solar power for a majority of the operating systems.

For obvious reason I cannot reveal my sources for this information. Many of you will flame me and discount this information as myth.

Mock my words now and then realize that this information in the coming months will prove to be true.

Bookmark this and we will see for sure in the future.

Gregg

One major difference. RCI knows how to design ships. Carnival does not. :)

1) Those worrying about space ratio, the same was said about Oasis, but apparently you hardly notice a crowd on her.

2) I doubt Sunshine will end up with an Epic-like look. Meyer Werft is known for clean, sleek looks and lines.

:)

1) Those worrying about space ratio, the same was said about Oasis, but apparently you hardly notice a crowd on her.

2) I doubt Sunshine will end up with an Epic-like look. Meyer Werft is known for clean, sleek looks and lines.

:)

Oasis/Allure are 225,282 gt with 5400 pax, double occ. for a ratio of 41.7 compared to 38.5 for Sunshine if the numbers are correct -- that's why we are concerned.

I was not confusing GT with weight. Enclosing the Solarium would increase enclosed space, therefore increasing GT. . .

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were referring to the weight of the covering. Reading your comment again, I should have known better.

Archived