Visa Requirements

cruiselovers20

Hello,

we are planning a cruise leaving out of Rio de janeiro, Brazil. We understand that a Visa is required. Does anyone have any experiences in requesting the visa via mail to the Miami office? was the request handled promptly? Went to download the visa application online and our computer said "not to open" the document as it may not be trusted. Any suggestions?

Ease of getting the visa apparently varies tremendously from consulate to consulate. You can ignore the warning on your computer. We all have gotten it and it's no problem. Remember you must enter Brazil within 90 days of visa issuance.

The first time I went to Brazil, I had short notice and had to use a visa service. the second time, it was just after the 1996 Olympics and brazil had a consulate in Atlanta, so I decided I would drive up and do it in person. Well, it takes two days...You have to leave passport and come back the next day. By the time I had paid for gas, hotel, meals...I realized it would have been cheaper to use the visa service again. But, the second visa was good for five years, so the third time I went, I didn't have to do it again. EM

When we went to Brazil and up the Amazon in 2009, there were horror stories of problems people had trying to get the Brazil visa on their own.

People always have horror stories because lots of people are incompetent. ;)

thanks to all for your enlightments comments and suggestions....I wasnt aware we need to plan to get it within 90 days of arriving....We thought we could apply now to be used Feb 2012. great tips and info!

cruiselovers20:)

We got our own Visas in 2009 from the Miami consulate. Easy peasy. Our friends who live in Tampa did it by mail instead of in person. They paid a few dollars more, but all was well.

Happy to say we got our money's worth because we'll be using them again in 10 days.

Brazilian Consulate General in Miami

80 SW 8th Street, Suite 2600

Miami, FL 33130-3004

Phone: (305) 285-6200

Fax: (305) 285-6229

Fax on demand for information and forms: (305) 285-6259

E-mail: consbras@brazilmiami.org

Jurisdiction: States of Florida, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.

Go here for the Brazil Consulate office in Miami:

http://www.brazilmiami.org/eng/visas.php

Notice they only receive applications for visas from 10Am to Noon every day. Also says it takes 5 days before you can pick the visa up and can be picked up only between 3 PM and 4PM.

May be easier to use a visa service; such as Generations Visa Service (we have used them before, no problems), or Zierer Visas, and there are others.

Get a multiple entry visa if it does not cost more, you might go back; never know. I see there is now a visa good for 10 years. Cost is $160 for Brazil consulate. The visa services charge around $75 to $80 for each visa they get for you. As the USA raises the cost for a Brazilian to get a US visa, Brasil raises their fee for a US citizen to get a Brazil visa. So the $160 Brazil charges is probably what the US charges a citizen of Brazil to get a US visa

Brazilian Consulate General in Miami

80 SW 8th Street, Suite 2600

Miami, FL 33130-3004

Phone: (305) 285-6200

Fax: (305) 285-6229

Fax on demand for information and forms: (305) 285-6259

E-mail: consbras@brazilmiami.org

Jurisdiction: States of Florida, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.

Go here for the Brazil Consulate office in Miami:

http://www.brazilmiami.org/eng/visas.php

Notice they only receive applications for visas from 10Am to Noon every day. Also says it takes 5 days before you can pick the visa up and can be picked up only between 3 PM and 4PM.

May be easier to use a visa service; such as Generations Visa Service (we have used them before, no problems), or Zierer Visas, and there are others.

Get a multiple entry visa if it does not cost more, you might go back; never know. I see there is now a visa good for 10 years. Cost is $160 for Brazil consulate. The visa services charge around $75 to $80 for each visa they get for you. As the USA raises the cost for a Brazilian to get a US visa, Brasil raises their fee for a US citizen to get a Brazil visa. So the $160 Brazil charges is probably what the US charges a citizen of Brazil to get a US visa

I don't think there's such a thing as a multiple entry. Visa was good for five years, now good for ten. We paid $130 in 2009, but only good for 5 years. I suspect the increase is because of 5 more years. Sounds fair to me.

Also, when we got ours, the pickup was 2 days later. I would have preferred five days, so this is a good thing. The 3-4 PM thing sounds bad, but isn't. You are in and out in 30 seconds; a real assembly line.

Our problem going to Brazil was the Yellow Fever Vaccination.

Do Americans need it?

We were told we could not re-enter NZ after visiting there

unless we had one...

and the certificate to prove it.

To enter Brazil everyone (any nationality) needs a YF vaccination if they have been in an area where YF is possible.

When we went, the cruise stopped at Devil's Island on the way and a stop at Devils Island means you need the YF vaccination.

Since we were stopping at Devil's Island on the way, Princess would not let anyone who did not have proof of vaccination board the ship in Fort Lauderdale. Once in Brazil waters, the government officials made a Xerox copy of everybody's passport and proof of vaccination.

However, to take a cruise to Brazil and return to the US, the US does not require the vaccination.

• 3 months later...

Question for the knowledgeable - we got Brazilian Visas for our Amazon trip, couple of years back - they are good for several years, multi-entry. Mine is fine, as my passport is newish, and was the one I had when we got our visas. However, my DH needs to get a new passport within the next year, and we have another South America trip booked in 2013, by which time he will have a new passport. What happens with his Brazilian Visa, which still has time left on it? Anyone know if it carries over to the new passport or if we need to get him a new visa?

Question for the knowledgeable - we got Brazilian Visas for our Amazon trip, couple of years back - they are good for several years, multi-entry. Mine is fine, as my passport is newish, and was the one I had when we got our visas. However, my DH needs to get a new passport within the next year, and we have another South America trip booked in 2013, by which time he will have a new passport. What happens with his Brazilian Visa, which still has time left on it? Anyone know if it carries over to the new passport or if we need to get him a new visa?

Donna, we just used the Amazon Visa in February. You just have to take both passports with you. BTW, the new Brazilian Visas are now being issued for 10 years, but ours will still be good in 2013.

People always have horror stories because lots of people are incompetent. ;)

Not necessarily. As someone noted earlier, response time varies significantly consulate to consulate. In the fall of 2009 the Brazilian consulate in Washington, DC took 15 workdays (not a day sooner or later) to return passports with a visa. While that's not a horror story giving up your passport for that long a time does give you pause (especially if you travel internationally frequently). I think I read on the South American boards that they sped the process up this year. While we were among the last to receive a 5 year visa, you can count on us visiting Brazil at least once more while it is still valid (in my expired passport) -- we invested enough time and money in it:).

Thanks Pia - still in London or did you make it home? Hope there were no problems from the latest Icelandic ash clouds...:eek:

Got home last night. Lots of flights cancelled, but fortunately not ours.

Hello,

we are planning a cruise leaving out of Rio de janeiro, Brazil. We understand that a Visa is required. Does anyone have any experiences in requesting the visa via mail to the Miami office? was the request handled promptly? Went to download the visa application online and our computer said "not to open" the document as it may not be trusted. Any suggestions?

I got my visa in person at the Miami consulate, easy to get to by car or by Tri-rail/Metrorail and I highly recommend not using a visa service! I know many Fl folks who obtained visas by mail and it only took a short amount of time. This is the correct link for a mail visa. http://www.brazilmiami.org/eng/visas_vitur.php I clicked the link for Electronic application https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/index.jsp then the visa request https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/manterVisto.do?lang=eng#inicio and did nor receive any warnings. Perhaps some security setting on your computer stopping you? Try going to your local library and filling out the forms if you are unconformable doing this on your computer. Feel free to email me (Link in sig. below) if more detailed instructions are needed.

• 4 months later...
Can anyone verify this 90-day "rule"? Is it still the case?

Log into the Brazilian consulate where you will find current information. Our Visa was issued for five years; now they are for ten. Things change, but I believe the 90 day rule is still in effect.

Got our Brazil Visa for our SA cruise this year....went to the embassy in LA....easy process, but they are very strict on the paperwork and drop off/pick up dates. Had to drop it all off on one day, certain hours; then return 5 days later, certain hours to pick up. No wiggle room there.

It was $140 for a 10 year visa - no 90 day requirement any more - at least that is what we were told.

If your passport expires, just take the old one along with the visa in it - still good for 10 years. Unlike Chile - passport expires, visa is no good either.

No YF shot needed for SA cruise, but we didnt go to any indemic areas before arriving in Brazil.

Brazil is VERY strict on their visa requirements - some were put off the ship before Brazil or not allowed to board without the visa.

Ease of getting the visa apparently varies tremendously from consulate to consulate. You can ignore the warning on your computer. We all have gotten it and it's no problem. Remember you must enter Brazil within 90 days of visa issuance.

Can anyone verify this 90-day "rule"? Is it still the case?

the 90 day is no longer in affect as of June for both Americans and Canadians--you can now apply any time prior to travel and it is good for 10 years for Americans and 5 for Canadians.

You can go thru a visa service but we did ours ourselves, you still need to get the same documentation whether you go thru a service or not and that was where the pain was for us, getting everything together. In total it took two weeks to get it, and we dropped it off and picked it up, but many people I know have had no problems with sending via courier.

For us (traveling to Rio for five days, then on a cruise) we did not require the Yellow Fever shot.

vickie

Archived