What if we don't go to MDR? Do we still tip?

pandi77

They pool the tips for one reason: it's easier than the administrative hassle of trying to keep up with each waiter's individual tips.

Once again I ask the question: if you tip for service not even received, what is the incentive to provide exceptional service?

On European sailings we often eat 2 meals ashore each day, lunch and supper. The extended port times often give us this opportunity.

In such occasions, we often adjust the daily tip/service charge to reflect our actual on board dining use for that day.

We don't tip for services not rendered either.

My DH and I rarely go to the MDR on our cruises ( we do not want to have to "dress" for the MDR ) so we chose MTD so that the tip is prepaid.

I haven't read this whole thread, so my apologies if it's a question already asked:

My Time Dining IS in the MDR, so I don't know what you mean by "dressing". Do you go naked to dinner? :D

I know it probably isn't the most popular choice but if my husaband and I don't choose to go to the dining room at all while on our 5 day cruise would we tip the dining room staff at all? We plan on eating in the specialty restaurants or take meals in our room or on our deck. Any advice?

We missed the first 2 days of our cruise, and we didn't tip anybody anything for either of those 2 days. RCI wouldn't let us tip the staff for 5 out of the 7 days using their prepaid system, so we tipped using our standards and those envelopes.

We didn't use the MDR except for dinner. Each time we ate at the Windjammer we left them a $2-3 a tip (depending on peso conversions). When we ate at Portofinos we gave them a 25% tip. Every time we ordered a drink, we tipped them on top of the 15% automatic gratuity. We ended up tipping the waiter $8 per dinner and the assitant waiter $5 per dinner. We figured the dinner was a $50 experience for 2 people.

We signed up for MTD on our 12 day cruise and pre-paid our tips. The first night we went to the WJ because we were tired. Second night we had Chops reserved. We tipped $20 there in cash. The third night we went to MTD and discovered it isn't really MTD because we didn't have a reservation. We said we would wait as long as necessary, but we would like a table for 2. The said they couldn't do that because it was too busy. They asked us to sit with another couple. We did, and they were a lovely couple. However, with all the conversation, and the RUSH, my soup and salad were both taken away half-eaten because the rest of the table was done. We decided we didn't want to go back to MTD and would use the WJ and the other 2 nights reserved for Chops. I wrote on a comment card during the week that MTD wasn't for us because it wasn't relaxing for us. (They do need to make improvements.) I wrote on the card that we were TOTALLY loving Chops and the WJ. I started getting calls from a MTD manager wanting us to come back and all we had to do was tell them not to rush us. I ignored the calls because we didn't want to go back. We were happy. Then the desk called saying MTD manager wanted to talk to us. Before I could call him back, we had chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room from MTD asking us to come back. I talked to the manager on the phone and thanked him but explained we were happy with WJ and Chops. I don't understand all the fuss. We pre-paid, so the tips would be there for MTD even though we didn't go back. Chops and WJ are OFFERED, so why do they act like we are doing something wrong not going back to MTD? The second time we were in Chops, EVEN that manager asked us if we were going back to MTD!!(How did he know about that?) WTH?? Why can't they accept that we were enjoying other eating options that they offer?? Did our pre-paid tips go to WJ instead of MTD? I don't get it.

firstly, from those i've spoken to that work on major cruise lines, the food service tips are pooled. so even if you do not eat at the mdr on your cruise but use the cafes, etc., your food service portion of auto-tips are indeed going to the food service people who assisted you.

secondly, most large touristy places auto-add tips or leave recommended tip amounts right on the check. in most other countries, 'tips' does mean 'to insure prompt service' and is not considered part of a worker's pay - tips are truly a bit extra on the top. in america, most food service workers are paid a percentage below minimum wage (or a wage befitting their position) and expected to make up that difference in tips, which is why tips must be reported as wages. the short, sentence-long version of this is that in america, your tips are actually PAYING the server's wages.

because tips are not considered necessary in other countries, many tourists from other countries may not know how important it is to add a tip to a bill. in my opinion, this is why many companies that make their money off vacationing tourists auto-add tips.

personally, i hate auto-tipping but find it an easy solution while cruising. i pay my tips ahead of time and bring some cash on board to hand out for those who truly do go above and beyond, since my prepaid tips have already 'made up' for their wages.

in america, most food service workers are paid a percentage below minimum wage (or a wage befitting their position) and expected to make up that difference in tips, which is why tips must be reported as wages. the short, sentence-long version of this is that in america, your tips are actually PAYING the server's wages.

I don't think you're giving most of us enough credit here. I'm from America and am fully aware how tipping and server wages work. For THAT reason I am apalled at the thought of paying gratiuities for "MDR Service" when I know full well I'm not going to be eating there and NOT leaving tips for the folks who actually do serve me. Regardless of what magical formula goes into how my tips may be split at the end, I refuse to be told to tip people I will never see and not leave tips for those that do provide me with good service. If THEY choose to pool their tips or to put it in their pocket that is up to them, but any gratuities I leave will be with the person providing the service.

Frankly the MDR and MDT are completely broken in my opinion for all the reasons stated in this thread and in all the others. At the end of the day, it isn't dining in a restaurant it is banquet food that you are either being pushed or dragged through with the military precision of a banquet all while being told to wear a costume for the other diners.

I didn't have a clue that all the tips are pooled. That, in my opinion is unfair. We had a wonderful server our last cruise, and tipped accordingly for that service..he did quite well with us. I hate to think that was being pulled with a whole lot of servers - kind of defeats the purpose of tipping for HIS great service. We chose not to prepay tips on this cruiseline. I would rather hand over cash that will be directly for the people I am thanking for their service to us, and not shared with ones I don't have contact with. Same goes with the room steward.

I do think there is one thing being missed here. How the gratuity you (I) choose to give the person waiting on us is handled is really none of your (my) business. If they wish to pool them, put it in their pocket or throw it overboard it just isn't anyone's business.

As I stated earlier, there is no way I give a gratuity to someone who doesn't do a darn thing for me - and if I don't eat in the main dining room I'm not leaving a gratuity there. If I eat in the WJ and I get service - which doesn't usually happen, I will leave a gratuity there. When I eat in Chops or another venue I leave a gratuity there, but in a dining room where I don't step foot!!! Not going to happen.

We do not go to the MDR at all. We usually go to the WJ and eat, so my wife and I tip the wait staff in the venue that we are eating in when we are done. Just like we would do back home. That way the person giving us the service is tipped accordingly. I always have a little cash on me at all times. I will tip someone who waited on us, not let them pool my tip money and give it to people who did nothing for us.

I do think there is one thing being missed here. How the gratuity you (I) choose to give the person waiting on us is handled is really none of your (my) business. If they wish to pool them, put it in their pocket or throw it overboard it just isn't anyone's business.

I respectfully disagree. If I give my waiter something extra, I do it under the assumption that he/she gets to keep it. If it turns out that the something extra is pooled and split among the dozens of other waiters, then I would be much more hesitant to pay the extra. So it does matter to me what happens to the tip I provide to my waiter.

firstly, from those i've spoken to that work on major cruise lines, the food service tips are pooled.

So if this is the case, then giving your waiter something extra is rather pointless, since that extra money would be split among all the waiters, no?:confused:

There is no proven fact that tips are pooled. again, no one really knows the answr as waxing witch as stated what some other ex RCCl employees say is the complete opposite. We don't know this answer.

From what I can gather over the years from what seems to be reliable sources:

MDR-No pool

WJ-no pool. Actually-unless someone actually tips them-they usually recieve nothing.

MTD-pool- pre tip mandatory

specialty-pool-tip included. well-if you want to think that!!!;)

room service-no pool

Cash-never pooled/shared

Bar servers

Included tip-shared. extra cash-not shared

I've taken the time to try to figure this out because when I first joined this BB you would get blasted if you did not walk into the MDR-weather you ate there or not and tip them the entire amount!. Could not figure this logic out. So-I'm asked-where do you eat breakfast and lunch?[it's really my business where I eat these meals but can easily, never sit and eat in the WJ] So-why not walk into the WJ on the last night and give someone there my tip who I know never worked the MDR and is not getting much cash this week.:confused: I usually eat dinner at least twice a cruise there, get to know that staff as well as you can in the MDR so that's a good plan for me!!

Oh-and next time you are on a cruise and have not eaten in the MDR-ask customer services what you should do with the situation. They tell you not to tip them so who the heck knows what's right or wrong because some on this bb will tell you-customer service has not a clue!!

Have fun-tip as you feel comfortable. :D

I respectfully disagree. If I give my waiter something extra, I do it under the assumption that he/she gets to keep it. If it turns out that the something extra is pooled and split among the dozens of other waiters, then I would be much more hesitant to pay the extra. So it does matter to me what happens to the tip I provide to my waiter.

I understand where you are coming from. But why should we know? My point is, it's none of our business and we certainly shouldn't be asking. It's no different than asking what they are going to be spending it on and if you don't like what they will spend it on then not leaving a gratuity.

Do you question wait staff on land? I do know there are lots of land based restaurants that share gratuities and even have to give a chunk to the owner. What's the difference?

Guess I am in the minority here. I would tip the stateroom attendant, concierge, specialty dining servers and room service folks who would be bringing me all the food.

I agree completely. If someone does not provide me with a service, I see no reason to tip them. Tips always were, and still are, an indication to the server of how good a job they did. Tips are not a welfare program for all to share in.

And speaking of sharing, how can ANYONE posting on this board be so all fired certain as to whether or not tips are pooled? How many posting here have actually recently served as Dining Waitstaff on an RCCL ship to have expert knowledge about the topic? I will go out on a ledge and say NONE!

My family has been intimately involved in the Restaurant business for almost 40 years. We have held every position from dishwasher to owner. The one constant that has always been there is that the best servers make the most money. I'm guessing the same is true in the Cruise industry.

I never use any of the premium restaurants, so I really can't comment about them. But when it's time for me to tip, I use cash and the ammount is directly related to the service received. Be it the Dining Staff, Cabin Steward, or anyone else who provides a service.

So if this is the case, then giving your waiter something extra is rather pointless, since that extra money would be split among all the waiters, no?:confused:

should have been more clear with my statement: the auto-tips are pooled. if you hand your waiter extra cash, that goes in his/her pocket.

while i've not spoken to someone who works on rci, i do know many people who have worked for two other major cruise lines within the past two years who have told me that tips for waitstaff are pooled. it is not at the waitstaff's request, either - it is just how it is done. and generally the waitstaff you see in the dining room at night do room service during the day or work breakfast in the morning. so even if i don't eat in the main dining room today, chances are that i stopped by the buffet so my auto-tip money goes to the food service workers that assisted me anyway.

my feeling is that my auto-tips are pooled together and given to everyone to make up the rest of their wages (remember, most people in food service are paid less per hour with the intent that their tips make up that difference). i tip extra for room service, dining in the main dining rooms, and for my stewards/housekeeping based on services received.

should have been more clear with my statement: the auto-tips are pooled. if you hand your waiter extra cash, that goes in his/her pocket.

while i've not spoken to someone who works on rci, i do know many people who have worked for two other major cruise lines within the past two years who have told me that tips for waitstaff are pooled. it is not at the waitstaff's request, either - it is just how it is done. and generally the waitstaff you see in the dining room at night do room service during the day or work breakfast in the morning. so even if i don't eat in the main dining room today, chances are that i stopped by the buffet so my auto-tip money goes to the food service workers that assisted me anyway.

my feeling is that my auto-tips are pooled together and given to everyone to make up the rest of their wages (remember, most people in food service are paid less per hour with the intent that their tips make up that difference). i tip extra for room service, dining in the main dining rooms, and for my stewards/housekeeping based on services received.

RCI doesn't have auto-tips. They are the only mass market line I know of that leaves the amount of gratuities up to the passengers. The exception is if you book My Time Dining - then they make you pre-pay gratuities in the suggested amount.

More than one waiter has told me that the tips for traditional dining, whether prepaid, charged onboard or paid in cash, are kept by the individual waiter.

RCI doesn't have auto-tips. They are the only mass market line I know of that leaves the amount of gratuities up to the passengers. The exception is if you book My Time Dining - then they make you pre-pay gratuities in the suggested amount.

More than one waiter has told me that the tips for traditional dining, whether prepaid, charged onboard or paid in cash, are kept by the individual waiter.

i had the option to pre-pay the gratuities before my sail date and a 15% gratuity is added to any drinks i order. i do consider that 'auto tipping' if i choose to pre-pay my gratuities.

i'm glad to hear that waitstaff on rci do not pool tips as that's generally a sticking point with people in the service industry.

• 1 month later...

People who work on cruise ships choose their job and sign contracts. They know what they sign up to do.

Yes, many work hard, but remember no one forced them to choose the job.

If you are happy with their service feel free to tip whatever amount you wish.

If you don't receive service in the dining room and still want to hand a waiter and assistant waiter an envelope full of cash for service they gave other people that's your choice, but don't expect everyone else to do it.

The waiters know when they sign a contract that they will have to work in the WJ on their off week and not receive any tips. They agree to this by signing a contract to work on a ship.

The assistant waiters know that in addition to working in the MDR for dinner they also will have to work other places, like the WJ during breakfast and lunch. Again, they agree to the job duties and understand that tips are a BONUS pay.

My concern is the attitude that tips are "bonus" pay and that I should feel no sense of obligation toward a service provider who serves me in a position where tipping is customary. The empolyer calculates a wage for such employees that assumes they will recieve tips from their patrons. While the system is awkward and unpredictable, it is the system under which we operate and in which we have certain obligations in the interest of economic justice. Obvoiusly, these are not legal obligations.

If the level of service provided is inferior or incompetent, then cutting or withholding a tip might be justified. But if your expectations have been met your tips are an important part of how that employee earns his or her living. You should feel some sense of obligation.

When it comes to the MDR. If you are not planning to eat there, I would recommend that you visit the MDR before dinner on the first day and tell the Maitre De that you will not be eating there at all and that you will not be paying tips through the automated system. Ask him if possible to assign another passenger to the waitstaff that was depending on your presence and gratuity.

Archived