room service in suite with an extra guest

Bustersmom

you probably can get away with it but it is just like sending their laundry out with yours. You are overstepping the perks. I suppose you feel that you are paying so much for your suite that it won't make any difference BUT I'm sure they keep track of all suite orders and if a lot of people have been doing this, no wonder suites cost so much.

Hmmm I see your point totally about laundry other perks, but can't anyone in any stateroom order room service at no charge? If that is the case then I cannot see it mattering if you have an extra guest. Now if there were a charge, I would be willing to pay the additional amount for the guest. I am only talking about sharing a meal there, not other perks associated with a suite., For example, I would not expect to be able to take a guest to Sabatinis for breakfast. Was just wondering, not a rule breaker and I too do not like when others "take advantage". Just want to know the rules beforehand.

, but can't anyone in any stateroom order room service at no charge?

Yes, however, the room service menu for an regular stateroom is totally different than the room service menu for suites. Standard room service is very limited. The room service for suites is much, much, better.

You could probably get away with it, however, the website says, suite passengers only. I'm sure many people do it with no problem at all. Perhaps Princess puts this on their website because they want to discourage suites doing it for 10 people. :eek:

It's only one meal, at least you arent offering her free laundry, priority tender tickets etc.

My husband and I will be cruising with a single friend later this year. She has a inside stateroom and we have a VS. Is it ok to order room service for her as well as us from time to time if we wish to share a meal in our larger room and balcony?

While some people here are pretty rigid about how you might use your suite perqs, I think that this would be perfectly acceptable. I suspect that one of the reasons people get suites is for entertainment. I can just imagine inviting someone to join you for dining in your suite, but telling them that they will have to order off the limited (non-suite) room service menu while you will be ordering off the dining room menu.

Based on some of these responses, I must be a scofflaw. On our last cruise, I had the elite tea served to us on our balcony. We shared it with our daughters, who were booked in another cabin. Since neither of them are entitled to elite perqs, and neither were booked in our cabin, they should not have been allowed to join us/share tea with us.

the difference is that room service for suites includes the MDR menu which is more work for the staff.

BUT since you can order as much food as you want, I guess no one really would know if you were ordering something for a guest.

And if you don't do it often.

It's up to you

You know I think just common sense and common courtesy has to be the determining factor. I had not thought of the difficulty of tendering separately-not sure how we will work that but again no big deal. Did not realize the room service menu is different either. But yes we got a larger stateroom and balcony specifically for entertaining just the three of us and will use it to that end, I kinda figure that is why the suite price is alot higher. Would I entertain 10 people and expect services, absolutely not, this is where the common sense part comes in. Would I really send someone elses dirty clothes with mine to the laundry to save 50 cents, really??? Yep I realize there are people I guess who live to take advantage of the system, no matter where. I do not want to think this hard about anything, that is what cruising is for. Thanks for the heads up about the menus ect.

Just play it by ear. I've seen some guys order three lobsters plus for dinner. People are just so wasteful on cruises. Ordering a little extra for your friend isn't going to make a difference.

Enjoy your cruise and I know you will love your suite and it will be a nice treat to share it with your friend.

Thanks so much! I think playing it by ear is a good idea. I was amazed to see what they charge for a single inside partially obstructed view! Gosh I think we will see more of the "single" rate catagories in the future-I have seen some other lines annoucing plans. Again many thanks for the insights!

I think common sense should apply here. If you did it every night for an entire cruise that might be pushing the bounds of propriety, but for a night or two I don't think it will be an issue.

If concerned, I would simply contact the Maitre'd and explain what you want, I would be VERY surprised if he or she had a problem with it.

Since they are bringing extra food, however, an additional gratuity to the servers would be appropriate.

the difference is that room service for suites includes the MDR menu which is more work for the staff.

BUT since you can order as much food as you want, I guess no one really would know if you were ordering something for a guest.

And if you don't do it often.

It's up to you

Also any passenger is able to eat in the MDR so I don't see what the big deal is if the staff is rewarded with a tip and or a nice comment card from the suite guest.

I got this from the Princess web site..."Extended room service menu (full breakfast, lunch, dinner offering) - Suite passengers only"

I think you are misinterpreting this. I believe it means that a full menu is not offered in any category lower than a Suite. I don’t think anyone would mind if the suite passenger ordered and extra meal and invited a guest. Everyone is entitled to eat so what difference does it make if you order two or three entrées in the MDR or had them sent to the suite. It’s not like they are stealing food.

Would I really send someone elses dirty clothes with mine to the laundry to save 50 cents, really??? .

I don't think you have sent much laundry out, if you think the savings is .50 LOL :)

As for the tendering together, we've had friends wait and go with us..they didn't have to take advantage of the early tickets, and we wanted to go together. That was an easily solved problem.

As for sharing a meal with you, in your suite I can't see why that would be a problem. If it makes you feel better, just ask, but I can't imagine them saying no. We have actually stopped by the main dining room and asked for 2 meals to go, to eat in our lowly inside and they did it for us.

Just play it by ear. I've seen some guys order three lobsters plus for dinner. People are just so wasteful on cruises. Ordering a little extra for your friend isn't going to make a difference.

Enjoy your cruise and I know you will love your suite and it will be a nice treat to share it with your friend.

Well, if they actually eat the three lobsters, then no worries... ;)

I'm having a hard time with the concept that 2 in a suite cannot order 3 meals, especially since the food is free to begin with!

.I would think

it would be okay to order in room service for one extra, especially since

it would mean extra tip for the wait staff.

I'd also like to add: We've been in VS's before and NEVER utilitized the in-room food service for dinner, not once, so if some like to order for 3, even though occupancy

is for 2, that would be fine, since we were occupancy for 2, and ordered zero dishes. That offsets the perceived "greediness" of the suite perks.

Truthfully, if I'm spending beaucoup on a suite, it's really nobody's business how many extra meals I have delivered to my cabin and at what cost. I have

never abused my perks, and I;m sure that would go for the majority who have suites.

Many times in the main dining room I've ordered two entrees, so what's the difference if I have a 3rd party come to my room for dinner? Room service

doesn't care who orders what.

Maybe Princess should add food monitors to their staff to make sure no one is taking more than their fair share.

I think you are misinterpreting this. I believe it means that a full menu is not offered in any category lower than a Suite.

Well, I had never thought of it in that way before. Thanks.

Now, I wonder what Princess really meant by printing this?

Yes, we have done this with our kids; also full breakfast.

Princess goes out of their way to provide gracious service to suite passengers. They are not going to say no to a reasonable request. This should be no problem whatsoever.

I also agree with the thought that if you order the food that you want, they will provide it. Again, no problem.

There is wise saying: it is easier to apologize than to ask permission.

Not to worry and have a great cruise:)

Archived