Can we please put the "Caribbean" back in Royal Caribbean

Dear friends:

RCCL is out to sell their cruises and earn money. Don't you think that if they could, in fact sell out a "14 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise" -- they would definitely schedule and market it?

RCCL has a global vision. Cruising is not just for North Americans.

Winter is high season in Florida and the Caribbean. Winter is low season in Europe. So in Winter most of the ships are in Florida and the Caribbean and only about two ships at any given time are in Europe.

Summer is low season in Florida and the Caribbean (except for families going to Orlando). Summer is peak season in Europe. So in Summer peak season RCCL has a great deal of ships in Europe, while still maintaining ships in several cities of Florida, New Jersey, Baltimore, etc.

And then you complain about Florida boasting the two largest ships in the world on a year-round basis. Believe me, we would love to have those two ships based here in Barcelona. Unfortunately, they were not really built for European cruising and most European ports would have to be rebuilt to accommodate them.

RCCL also takes advantage of the local Asian market and maintains seasonal ships there.

And RCCL has been catering to the extremely wealthy and high-spending Brazilian market by stationing at least one, and sometimes two ships to homeport in Brazil during their summer (our winter) season.

They are far more diversified than the were years ago and there is something on offer for everyone and for every region of the world.

Why is that bad?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I agree with this.

I would also love to see some different routes and different ports in the caribbean. Carnival has an 8 day out of FLL to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Colon, Panama with 4 sea days, which we would love! But would rather sail on RCI. Would love to see maybe a 8-9 day out of FLL or MIA to some of the southern ports. They could do a Voyager or Radiance class for those ports. Instead of week in/week out Eastern Carib./Western Carib. There has to be a way they can figure in an alternate route once every 6-8 or 12 weeks maybe to give more choices. And have both types for those who like port intensive and those that like sea days. I understand the Oasis/Allure cannot go to many of the islands but I do think that many people would pay more to sail 8,9 or 10 days out of FLL or MIA than have to fly to San Juan. The cruise will cost a little more but may not be as much as the air fare to SJ. Before building the new ship I hope they seriously consider itineraries and make sure it can go someplace new and exciting.

Great Post. You are one of the few here that actually gets it.

RC is going to position their ships where they will sail at over 100% capacity, and for top dollar.

Why would they keep ships in itins that will jeopardize that. No one wants to sail the carib in summer and early fall when it is hurricane season, unless they are looking for a bargain. RC is not out to give the cabins away just so the ships can be full.

For those who want the 10-11,14 day cruises, there is a reason RC is pulling back on those as well. The 10 and 11 day cruises did nor sell very well. Lots of fire sales to get rid of cabins the last 2 years on the Jewel sailings out of FLL.

Oasis and Allure were built for the carib and for the most popular ports. While they would love to have all of the repeat business pax, they are wanting to attract new cruisers as well. This does just that for them.

Celebrity has some great itins in the caribbean with their solstace class ships. Just not in summer and fall.

I do agree with most everything that you said. However, Independence's and Liberty's 8 night cruises seemed to have been very popular and selling well. I still think those very popular sailing were pulled in an attempt to force those folks onto Oasis and Allure. While I completely understand eliminating options that were prone to fire sales, in this case a very popular option was eliminated leaving nothing that is comparible.

I do believe that the loss of the 8 night cruises is a direct casualty of having to fill Oasis and Allure and I do understand the need to fill those two ships. But I don't think that we lost the 8 nighters because of a lack of interest in the product.

Why is that bad?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I see nothing wrong with that. Would LOVE more ships in Barcelona, going to North Africa for a change. Not that there's anything wrong with Cannes and Rome, but been there, done that.

You mentioned booking through Spanish TAs recently so I went looking for prices on corteinglesviajes and as you click through and try to book it just hangs. Is it working for you?

Winter is high season in Florida and the Caribbean. Winter is low season in Europe. So in Winter most of the ships are in Florida and the Caribbean and only about two ships at any given time are in Europe.

Summer is low season in Florida and the Caribbean (except for families going to Orlando). Summer is peak season in Europe. So in Summer peak season RCCL has a great deal of ships in Europe, while still maintaining ships in several cities of Florida, New Jersey, Baltimore, etc.

This is where you are wrong. Who gave you the idea the summer is the low season in Florida and the Caribbean :confused:. These cruises bring a premium. Aside from holiday sailings, the winter is actually the low season in the Caribbean. The only reason there are so many ships in the Caribbean during the off months is because they are back from their summer homeports. Look at pricing in the winter, you can steal a cruise. Do you realize that pricing for 7 night Caribbean cruises has been around $1000-1300 per person for inside cabins since we took our first 7 night in 2004 and continutes to rise? Partially because of the fact that there are so few ships now, but also because American families do travel while their kids are out of school as well, believe it or not :rolleyes:.

I agree about summer cruising options. At this point in my life, I'm cruising for sun in the fun, not enrichment so I prefer the Caribbean destinations. I also find SJU airfare cost prohibitive so that limits my choises to Oasis, Allure & Freedom. Last year I cruised Freedom for the same dates I'm currently shopping for $1,000 less than they are now. I know the economy has supposedly improved some, but my economy has not improved that much! I prefer the Royal product over Carnival, however I'm not willing to pay that much more for it. Right now, it's looking like I will be cruising Carnival this summer.

You are absolutley right. In the US, because cruising the Caribbean appeals to families and families cruise when there kids are not is school, summer is peak season, not winter. Summer Caribbean cruise fares more than double compared to winter.

I do agree with most everything that you said. However, Independence's and Liberty's 8 night cruises seemed to have been very popular and selling well. I still think those very popular sailing were pulled in an attempt to force those folks onto Oasis and Allure. While I completely understand eliminating options that were prone to fire sales, in this case a very popular option was eliminated leaving nothing that is comparible.

I do believe that the loss of the 8 night cruises is a direct casualty of having to fill Oasis and Allure and I do understand the need to fill those two ships. But I don't think that we lost the 8 nighters because of a lack of interest in the product.

I absoutely agree with you......I understand that the longer cruises didn't sell well, but the 8nt/6nt on Indy and Liberty sold well. Our last 8nt. cruise (last week) was sold out well before the sail date. I really feel we are being forced onto Oasis and Allure. I would consider these ships if they didn't require so much "pre-planning" I had a friend go a few months ago, and they were unable to see any shows that they wanted. They thought they would plan as they go (what we do when we cruise, I am there to relax), but waiting in lines and never getting in really turned them off to the mega ships. Also, the ships that are not out of Florida just won't work for us. My DH can not leave his job for more than a week, we don't have the 2 days to waste cruising out of NJ.:(

Also, the ships that are not out of Florida just won't work for us. My DH can not leave his job for more than a week, we don't have the 2 days to waste cruising out of NJ.:(

Thank you! Neither can we, which is what drives me nuts when people say we should start looking at Europe sailings and saying there are 9 nighters out of the NE. It just doesn't work with our time allowances at this point in our lives and I'm sure as hell not flying across the Atlantic for a short cruise!

I would even be happy to see the 4-5 nights back out of Fort Lauderdale at this point.

And to whoever said there was a lack of interest in the 6 & 8 night sailings, they have been around since 2005 when Radiance and Jewel started doing them out of Fort Lauderdale, then Indy took over, and finally Liberty. They have always brought more money than the standard 7 nighters. They stopped doing them because of the lack of ships left in the US, not because of lack of interest.

Edited by ocolus8109

And to whoever said there was a lack of interest in the 6 & 8 night sailings, they have been around since 2005 when Radiance and Jewel started doing them out of Fort Lauderdale, then Indy took over, and finally Liberty. They have always brought more money than the standard 7 nighters. They stopped doing them because of the lack of ships left in the US, not because of lack of interest.

If they "always brought more money than the standard 7 nighters" you can be sure that they would still be doing them with those ships that are currently doing 7 nighters. RCI and all lines are in the business of maximizing their revenues and they take into consideration all factors, including the demand for cruises of varying lengths and the demand for particular itineraries. They are sailing when and where they are, for one primary reason: popular demand. 7 night cruises are popular with both passengers and the cruiselines because their regular schedule (always beginning and ending on the same day of the week) best fits most people's vacation schedules, and is easier for a cruiseline's planning purposes. If 8 night cruises were as popular and produced as much revenue as you seem to believe, you can bet we would see more of them.

If they "always brought more money than the standard 7 nighters" you can be sure that they would still be doing them with those ships that are currently doing 7 nighters. RCI and all lines are in the business of maximizing their revenues and they take into consideration all factors, including the demand for cruises of varying lengths and the demand for particular itineraries. They are sailing when and where they are, for one primary reason: popular demand. 7 night cruises are popular with both passengers and the cruiselines because their regular schedule (always beginning and ending on the same day of the week) best fits most people's vacation schedules, and is easier for a cruiseline's planning purposes. If 8 night cruises were as popular and produced as much revenue as you seem to believe, you can bet we would see more of them.

And I tend to believe that if Oasis and Allure were not in service yet that Independence or Liberty would be continuing their 8/6 night itineraries. I also do not believe that the planning process is all that difficult as long as the start/end day is Saturday and Sunday. Maybe there are issues that come into play when week days are involved. But from a work schedule perspective, if I set sail on a Saturday it takes no more, or less, planning if the cruise terminates on the next Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by Ocean Boy

It's amazing to me.....how in the past what.....3 years..that we have so many fewer choices, than we used to have.

I'm not blaming anyone. My DW wants to have a weeks "feel" of the Allure, and I have to go along with that....as she wants to see many more of the venues than we could experience on the 2 night Pre Inaugural.

It's a floating city.......and with the itineraries....why even get off the ship.

Can I get away with being a NOOTS........just because we are going to try the Allure.........for my DW?

Rick

Hey Rick....yes, Allure and Oasis are different worlds. We enjoyed them and had good cruises on them. They are quite the technological marvels. I'm not sure how quick that we may book them again though. The ships are fabulous but, the intamacy of the smaller ships seems to have gone by the wayside, at least for us.

I was looking for cruises the other evening and became really frustrated trying to find something that fit what we were looking for. All the ships are in Europe at that time of year.

I hope you and Bobbie have a wonderful cruise on the Allure. We hope to sail with you guys again sometime:)

Here is to hoping 'Sunshine' debuts in South Florida...

Dollars to donuts that's exactly what she will do, but be prepared for the complaints when she does the standard Eastern and Western itineraries: St. Thomas, Nassau, St. Maarten, Cozumel, Grand Cayman etc. :) That's the formula that works best for them when they introduce new ships so I don't expect them to deviate from it. Perhaps the question to be answered is will these ships be additions to the fleet or will they simply replace two of the older ships in the fleet. At 4100 passengers per ship, one alone will pretty much match the capacity of two of the oldest ships.:)

To the OP, thanks for bring this up. We just came off a 10 day on the Jewel and it was great so I started looking for another one, guess what, there are none. Not much around Florida from May to November but the Freedom and next year the Jewel will be doing the hated 4 and 5 day ones. I have no interest in the Oasis or the Allure.Give us a break RCI.

I am still hoping that Royal will see fit offer do some ten-night or longer Eastern and Southern Caribbean cruises from Florida, perhaps Miami or Fort Lauderdale. (I am not referring to the Panama Canal cruises. We have already done that.) So far Holland America comes closest to offering the cruise I seek.

We have been loyal to Royal a long time, but our cruise options appear to be narrowing. We may have to try HAL or Princess to have the itinerary we want.

I do agree with you. Have you given any thought to cruising Serenade or Adventure out of San Juan? The ships and itineraries are awesome. Unfortunately, I think RCI is trying to force folks who are looking to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami onto Oasis and Allure.

This has come up on other threads ... and it's largely RCI's doing. Although not all that evident here, there is actually a limited market for trips to the hot Caribbean from the hot US during summer months ... we cruised once in August, and thought we'd pass out! Folks in Wisconsin are more apt to get away from the cold winters, and enjoy the moderate summers at home. Add the fact that the Allure and Oasis hold about twice as many passengers as other ships, it's as if four were sailing. It's also the prime Alaska season (a very limited window). With Europeans becoming a larger share of the cruise market, it makes sense to go where the money is. I don't think it's a matter of forcing anyone onto any ships ... just another business decision. Believe me, if the numbers were there, RCI (and the other cruise lines, particularly Princess) would have more ships sailing out of Florida.

Edited by jewopaho

Although not all that evident here, there is actually a limited market for trips to the hot Caribbean from the hot US during summer months ...

How do you figure :confused:? It may be true that some people would rather cruise other times of the year, but think of all of the families and people in professions that can only sail in the summer. There is a huge demand for summer cruises. It's a misconception that the winter is "peak season", there are not more ships in the Caribbean in the winter because of demand, its beacuse they are limited to the Caribbean as other destinations are too cold or out of season. Go price 7 night Caribbean cruises from May to August, the prices will blow your mind. You will be hard pressed to find anything under $1000-1200 a person in an inside room, compared to those $499-$699 deals you can snag every other time of the year.

How do you figure :confused:? It may be true that some people would rather cruise other times of the year, but think of all of the families and people in professions that can only sail in the summer. There is a huge demand for summer cruises. It's a misconception that the winter is "peak season", there are not more ships in the Caribbean in the winter because of demand, its beacuse they are limited to the Caribbean as other destinations are too cold or out of season. Go price 7 night Caribbean cruises from May to August, the prices will blow your mind. You will be hard pressed to find anything under $1000-1200 a person in an inside room, compared to those $499-$699 deals you can snag every other time of the year.

Sure ... they gotcha! But with RCI's new monsters holding twice the capacity of others, it's virtually the same as keeping two more Radiance Class ships on the Caribbean runs. Alaska also draws folks away. If the demand was there, why would any cruise line pull away from thriving itineraries? The burgeoning European market is beckoning right now, and RCI, Princess, NCL, MSC ... and even Carnival and Disney, are selling out far in advance. Holidays and spring break provide families with opportunities to cruise ... and take a peek at those prices. It's nothing more than a business decision ... they're following the money.

Being retired, I can travel any time. And being in Michigan, winter cruising is appealing. I don't fly, and my son lives in Florida, so we usually drive to Florida a couple of times a year during the colder months - visit him, and hey; since we're already in Florida, lets take a cruise!

However, even in the winter, the cruise itinerary is limited.

In Dec '09 we went on a 10 day with the Grandeur to San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, and Tortola. That cruise was apparently a one-time deal, and they no longer offer it, or anything close.

We're taking the Jewel next month on an 11 day going to Aruba, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, and the Caymans. But looking at the schedule, this is the last year even for that cruise.

Looks like the ship has been sold out. So I think the demand is there. Now I realize that they can't offer longer cruises and different itineraries every week throughout the year, but they are not offering those at any time of year.

Been on the Allure, OK, it was nice, but now on to something else.

And been to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, the Caymans, Costa Maya, and Cozumel several times already. And if I go to Nassau again, I'm gonna puke.

Besides next month, we have a cruise booked on the Freedom in Oct '11 (which we have been on before), but our son is going with us on that trip - and he has never been on the Freedom nor in the Eastern Caribbean.

After that cruise, its looking more and more like we will be making the jump to Celebrity. Celebrity all but leaves Florida in the summer months, but they have some nice 10 to 14 day cruises going to some of the islands we have not seen yet.

So perhaps that is the corporate strategy at RCI. To use Celebrity for the "tiny islands", and RCL for the main-stream market. Makes sense because 75% of the folks on our Allure cruise were first-timers.

Each time we fill out a survey at cruise-end, or when we receive a survey via email, we always comment that we would like to see cruises from Florida to the less-visited islands. Its a start.

This has come up on other threads ... and it's largely RCI's doing. Although not all that evident here, there is actually a limited market for trips to the hot Caribbean from the hot US during summer months ... we cruised once in August, and thought we'd pass out! Folks in Wisconsin are more apt to get away from the cold winters, and enjoy the moderate summers at home. Add the fact that the Allure and Oasis hold about twice as many passengers as other ships, it's as if four were sailing. It's also the prime Alaska season (a very limited window). With Europeans becoming a larger share of the cruise market, it makes sense to go where the money is. I don't think it's a matter of forcing anyone onto any ships ... just another business decision. Believe me, if the numbers were there, RCI (and the other cruise lines, particularly Princess) would have more ships sailing out of Florida.

I don't see where that is much different from anything that I said. Obviously it is about numbers. RCI is going to do what they have to in order to fill up those two megaships. And if that means pulling everything else out in order to make sure that there are no other options for crusing out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale that is exactly what they will, and are, doing.

Unfortunately, it is not like pulling one ship of the same class out in order to fill the other ship. Oasis and Allure do not offer the same experience as ships of other classes or different length itineraries. That is one aspect of RCI that I think is really cool. Their various classes of ships really do offer very different cruise experiences. That allows them to appeal to people with vastly different interests. However, in this situation, anyone wanting to sail RCI out of southern Florida is being forced into the Oasis/Allure 7 night experience. There are no more 8 nighter, no more 6 nighters, no option for class of ship. It is 7 nights on Oasis or Allure. Take it or leave it.

Oh, and as far as your comment on the Caribbean heat during summer.... I have been know to retreat to Serenade's air conditioned solarium to escape the heat in February! :D

Edited by Ocean Boy