are on board stores good or bad? I say mostly bad

mrshark

so, on Solstice last week we noticed they added Ralph Lauren Polo mens to their lineup. They had really nice stuff, but ridiculous prices. I looked at a nice pink and blue shirt, one that I hadn't seen at home, price tag $95.00. Sales rep told me, "but sir there's no tax, a good deal"

I shopped in San Juan and knew there was a polo outlet there. Of course was not on the "recommended ship store list" but we went, saw almost the same shirt, just a different shade of blue, price tag? 38.00. So, I bought three shirts for $114.00, also in "caribbean" shades of blue, purple etc that I can't find up here in the NE, and spent for 3 almost what I would spend for 1 on the ship.

I'm not much of a shopper, but am not stupid. Wife said alot of things seemed "overpriced" to her as well. The Celebrity logo store did have some good deals, 2 hats for $20, nice t-shirts, and the liquor store had some good deals as well, especially on Johnny Walker Blue, but the upscale stuff I can find for cheaper at home, alot cheaper.

Thoughts?

With you Ralph Lauren example there area couple of problems:

You can't compare a full-retail store to an outlet store. And unless they are the exact same Ralph Lauren polo shirt, you cannot make an absolute comparison. Different lines within Ralph Lauren sell at different price points. Not every Ralph Lauren polo has the same recommended retail price.

At my local department stores, most Polo oxfords sell in the $75.00-$125.00 range if not on sale.

I think some pricing is better than others. My husband got a Tag watch onboard a Princess ship that was much cheaper than land prices. And while on the Millennium, he bought a Tommy Bahama shirt that was more than 50% cheaper than land prices.

However, I generally don't find makeup, perfume etc. to be any better than land prices, except for no tax.

And their sundries! Yikes.... they're always very expensive - way overpriced.

With you Ralph Lauren example there area couple of problems:

You can't compare a full-retail store to an outlet store. And unless they are the exact same Ralph Lauren polo shirt, you cannot make an absolute comparison. Different lines within Ralph Lauren sell at different price points. Not every Ralph Lauren polo has the same recommended retail price.

At my local department stores, most Polo oxfords sell in the $75.00-$125.00 range if not on sale.

I agree with you there, I did not buy the same exact shirt, but it was the same model, just different colors. My wife said some of the women's clothing articles were very high priced, women's clothes I have no clue about. Jewelery my wife said most stuff was also priced on the high end.

I'm just happy I went to the outlet store in San Juan :p

Maybe this is the redneck in me talking, but do people seriously pay $95 for a polo shirt?

You can get that same shirt, just with a different label, at Wal-Mart for $12. :D

Yes, but the Wal-Mart polo usually has some saying on it referring to a 'certain' part of my body, or how much I love to drink beer and get sick....or how you should love some Southern State or get your 'picture of a donkey' out! You know, classy stuff like that.

After that little comment, I agree, i don't buy $100 polos.

Den

Maybe this is the redneck in me talking, but do people seriously pay $95 for a polo shirt?

You can get that same shirt, just with a different label, at Wal-Mart for $12. :D

There are people who have never been in a Wal Mart. I am not one of them.

You can tell the difference between a $12 shirt and one that costs $95. But I agree with the poster about outlet stores. I have been to that outlet in SJ, and they have nice things there; slightly irregular, but nice nonetheless.

I like the shops onboard. I mosey through at the beginning of the cruise and take a couple of notes. Then I go ashore and try to beat the prices. When I can't, I buy on board.

I hope they don't get rid of the shops.

I found much of the items to be very expensive and while nice, more than I was willing to pay. I found their "souvenir" section to be lacking. I'd like a nice mug or a Christmas ornament as a souvenir and would have loved any number of dishes/serving items from the ship but they don't offer those.

We saw they had a "shoe sale" the signs for the shoes were etched into a gold plate with the original price and then several levels of "discount" and then the "sale price".

That's not a sale. That's a crossed out blue sky price with the "actual price" at the end and they're calling it a sale. That IS the price.

They tried to tell me the whole "no tax" thing too when I went in and looked at dress shirts and suits. I honestly felt like they were calling me stupid. "yes it's marked up 30% over MSRP but there's no tax".

It is the redneck in you talking. You don't have to pay $95 for a Polo shirt but if you like your small town and the people who work there you may want to stop shopping at Walmart and eating at Applebees.

so, on Solstice last week we noticed they added Ralph Lauren Polo mens to their lineup. They had really nice stuff, but ridiculous prices. I looked at a nice pink and blue shirt, one that I hadn't seen at home, price tag $95.00. Sales rep told me, "but sir there's no tax, a good deal"

I shopped in San Juan and knew there was a polo outlet there. Of course was not on the "recommended ship store list" but we went, saw almost the same shirt, just a different shade of blue, price tag? 38.00. So, I bought three shirts for $114.00, also in "caribbean" shades of blue, purple etc that I can't find up here in the NE, and spent for 3 almost what I would spend for 1 on the ship.

I'm not much of a shopper, but am not stupid. Wife said alot of things seemed "overpriced" to her as well. The Celebrity logo store did have some good deals, 2 hats for $20, nice t-shirts, and the liquor store had some good deals as well, especially on Johnny Walker Blue, but the upscale stuff I can find for cheaper at home, alot cheaper.

Thoughts?

There really are NO bargains on a ship with a slight exception for liquor-but you can't take it back to your cabin & when returning home it must go into your checked luggage. Most of the logo items are so/so. Make-up & parfum some savings (no tax) but again remember & deal with the 3.4oz 311 bag issues. Also most US store have GWP or Bonus "giveaways" with popular brands. Price what you want before you leave home & do some comparison shopping on the ship.

Carole

It is the redneck in you talking. You don't have to pay $95 for a Polo shirt but if you like your small town and the people who work there you may want to stop shopping at Walmart and eating at Applebees.

I am confused.....do the people working at his Wal Mart or Applebees not live there? Are they imported????

We saw they had a "shoe sale" the signs for the shoes were etched into a gold plate with the original price and then several levels of "discount" and then the "sale price".

That's not a sale. That's a crossed out blue sky price with the "actual price" at the end and they're calling it a sale. That IS the price.

They tried to tell me the whole "no tax" thing too when I went in and looked at dress shirts and suits. I honestly felt like they were calling me stupid. "yes it's marked up 30% over MSRP but there's no tax".

Strange. I always hit the on board shops and don't ever recall shoes, dress shirts or suits for sale. But I agree the so-called "sales" are not really sales.

quote by Denny:D

"What's so nice about the shops is I can walk in and look around and then walk out and not buy a thing."

Yes, I do that quite often~actually on every cruise:). The only thing

I make an effort to buy is 1 shirt with the ship's logo on it and I have

one long time co-worker who collects shot glasses. She probably has

over 100 in her collection. I will bring one back from the ship or possibly

one from a port and she is the only person I ever buy for (except me).

The shirt is for me.:D

As for those prices? They are what they are.....I am with you on

the "look around"....walk in, look around, and continue to walk to

the next shop and do the same;)

I can't help but chuckle! Some people will spend --and brag-- about spending hundreds and even well over a thousand (my BIL spent over $1200 on a 7 day cruise) dollars on alcohol, but will complain about spending $95 on a nice well fitting shirt that can be worn over and over - well after the cruise is even over?:confused:

Not complaining. I just find it a little humorous! :D;) I'm easily entertained.

When I was younger it was quantity over quality. Now it's quality over quantity. My wardrobe is smaller, but it fits better and lasts longer.

Thoughts?

You answered you own question. Buy at home. You already found that it is cheaper. I think too many people are brain washed into thinking that they are going to get some fantastic deal.

The first few cruises we went on we attended those port shopping seminars. Can't believe some of the questions that were asked. They want to know where the cheapest place was to buy a Michelle watch, straw hat, conch shell? How much were they expecting to save? After hearing many more of those questions and realizing that it is all BS we don't waste our time attending them.

One comic had it right. He said you find something that was selling for $100. You haggled down to $40 and a month latter you sold it in your garage sale for $1.

Thoughts?

OMG Shops on the ship don't have the lowest prices :eek:

I can't believe I overpaid on my polo shirt. I guess i'll just have to book another cruise so I can go and return the shirt :rolleyes:

Actually It's simple business economics 101 - less inventory and fewer sales = higher sales prices and higher margins. Since the ships don't have a lot of storage space they've got limited inventory. Do you REALLY want the ship stores to start looking like W-mart :mad:

I just get a kick out of the sales pitch I was given why $95 for a Ralph Lauren was a good deal. A little knowledge went a long way for me, knowing there was a similar store in San Juan. I bought a Movado in Aruba for about 40% less than the same exact watch was in the NE. But we knew the price of the watch before we went. Yes the stores on the ship are there to make $$, agreed. But I love it when the sales people tell me it's a "good deal" when it's really not.

In my experience, Duty Free stores sell at list price less the local tax. Since we have local US stores that discount significantly, (TJ MAXX or Marshalls)

I buy it cheaper at home.

But I do like to window shop. :D

koolforkatz -

I bought a watch on one of the islands thinking I was getting a good deal.

Until I went into one of the shops aboard Princess. They had it for $50 less. :(

As for those prices? They are what they are.....I am with you on

the "look around"....walk in, look around, and continue to walk to

the next shop and do the same;)

Hi Lois !

I agree with you. Celebrity's stores are beautifully designed, but are full of some of the worst merchandise I've ever seen, and incredibly overpriced. $50 for a shirt to advertise Celebrity ? I dont think so. It should be no more than $20-$25. I also feel that most of Celebrity's logo items are not appealing. Who's designing this stuff ? Celebrity has a GREAT logo, and it should be put to better use !

I've never understood why Celebrity accepts having beautiful stores, that do not sell much and have employees standing around all day talking with each other. Whenever they run 1 day sales, the tables are 10 deep with Guests actually *buying* items. I realize they cant do that for all items, but it does show that if the prices are fair, guests will spend $$$. I have to believe they are losing out on a massive amount of revenue in this area.

Celebrity would be much better off having more practical items at reasonable prices, and bring the $$$ in !

I love the shops on board and hope they never remove them. I bought my favourite evening gown on board the Summit a number of years ago, not because it was inexpensive, or less expensive than I could get it elsewhere, but because I loved it. I also have a number of cruising buddies who collect Citizen Eco Drive watches who swear the onboard prices are the lowest they have found anywhere.

We seldom buy much on board. We have bought 2 of those Citizen eco watches at much touted discounts. In BOTH cases we have seen the identical watches for sale at a price within $10. of the onboard price. One at a store in Sawgrass Mills, the other on a web site. Some people seem to be blinded by signs that say tax free or 50 percent off. The only thing that matters is the bottom line price.

You need to be careful with outlet stores. Consumers Reports estimates that as much as 75 percent of the merchandise is 'specially' made for outlets of the majors-and made to look like the real McCoy even though there are quality differences.. We used to buy shirts at one particular outlet store but found after a few months of wear that they did not 'hold up' like the ones sold at the regular store. We compared them at home....different fabric weight, different stitching, etc. When we first bought the outlet product we thought we had a good deal. Now we just wait for the regular store to have a sale. Not saying that they are all like this but with so many outlet malls cropping up it is inconceivable that the retailers in question would have so much product available from their regular retail outlets.

Hi Lois !

I agree with you. Celebrity's stores are beautifully designed, but are full of some of the worst merchandise I've ever seen, and incredibly overpriced. $50 for a shirt to advertise Celebrity ? I dont think so. It should be no more than $20-$25. I also feel that most of Celebrity's logo items are not appealing. Who's designing this stuff ? Celebrity has a GREAT logo, and it should be put to better use !

I've never understood why Celebrity accepts having beautiful stores, that do not sell much and have employees standing around all day talking with each other. Whenever they run 1 day sales, the tables are 10 deep with Guests actually *buying* items. I realize they cant do that for all items, but it does show that if the prices are fair, guests will spend $$$. I have to believe they are losing out on a massive amount of revenue in this area.

Celebrity would be much better off having more practical items at reasonable prices, and bring the $$$ in !

So agree with you. The jewelry is overpriced-for what it is.My favorite (lol) sales are the "Inch of GOLD!!!"-actually cheap plate & Hollywood Pashminas for a reduced price of $30.00 or 2/$25. In NYC the street vendors are selling pashminas for $5.00 each ( which is why I have 1 in every color!)

Prive what you think you might purchase before you cruise then comparison shop. As for the logo items-do you really want to be a poorly designed billboard ?

Carole

Archived