Disembarcation Changes

bepsf

I'm wondering ... Do you think having the cabins ready "early" will help eliminate the madhouse in the Lido area? If everyone can go directly to their cabin upon embarkation - it makes sense to me they won't all show up in the Lido at exactly the same time. It might make for a calmer first luncheon experience? (Personally - it never bothered us to wait until 1:30 or later for our cabin.)

Not just the number of people... but all the people AND their carry on. I always found that most annoying. And was therefore VERY happy with the Mariner Lunch we enjoyed last time.

1:30 was fine with us. The leisurely disembark was a definite plus for us for choosing HAL. Time to try Celebrity. Bummer!

Interesting comment as the last time we sailed with Celebrity they herded us into a small theater like space to wait for our group color/number to be called. We were in a Royal Suite, basically the equivalent of a HAL deluxe suite, for that cruise so no special consideration for suite passengers. It was not comfortable and not a good way to end a cruise. Kind of reminded me of our Carnival cruise back in the early 90's where we got almost literally locked up in the showroom with virtually the whole ship waiting to get off. :(

Everyone has their own preference, but I would much rather have the cabin available early than sit in it, just waiting for the announcement to leave. I never did like the idea of having to juggle carry-ons during the lunch rush.

I agree as long as they don't try to herd us into a contained or confined area at the end of the cruise. We typically go up to the Lido for our last breakfast and just hang out there, weather permitting, until it's time to go. Mentally, at least for us, the cruise is basically over that last morning and while we don't want to feel rushed we're ready to get off and get home.

Interesting comment as the last time we sailed with Celebrity they herded us into a small theater like space to wait for our group color/number to be called. We were in a Royal Suite, basically the equivalent of a HAL deluxe suite, for that cruise so no special consideration for suite passengers. It was not comfortable and not a good way to end a cruise. Kind of reminded me of our Carnival cruise back in the early 90's where we got almost literally locked up in the showroom with virtually the whole ship waiting to get off. :(

Thankfully, it's a moot issue after DBA clarified. I mentioned Celebrity because they port closer to us and we have discussed trying them. It seems their procedure is similar to RCI, and that's not a good thing. Will stick with HAL.

As always, DBA, thanks for being the voice of reason and showing the disembarkation form. It hasn't changed from what I can see.

It sure looks like a change to me.

In the past we were able to hear the disembarkation colors/numbers called over the TV in our cabin. According to the letter, now we have to be out of our cabin in order to hear. Sounds to me like we can't stay there until it's time to leave.

If there's a choice between staying in my cabin later on that last day, or entering it earlier on the first day, then I want to stay.

Looks like there's no choice.

In the past we were able to hear the disembarkation colors/numbers called over the TV in our cabin. According to the letter, now we have to be out of our cabin in order to hear. Sounds to me like we can't stay there until it's time to leave.

This procedure was in place for our recent Maasdam cruise. The CD instructions over the intercom suggested we leave our cabin door open to hear the announcements. She stated several times that we were welcome to wait in our cabins. It felt the same as any other disembarkation.

The CD instructions over the intercom suggested we leave our cabin door open to hear the announcements.

:confused: Yet the letter indicates otherwise. Guess this is another of those HAL "works in progress". And that I'll know for myself in a little over a month.

I don't know what difference it makes for us. We usually get out of our room and sit around the Lido pool. We get to say last minute goodbyes and it gives the room stewards a break.

My question is are they controlling the calling of colours and numbers better? On our Rotterdam and Veendam cruises it was so congested at the gangway and they kept calling more down. There was only one security guy scanning. It was awful with much pushing and screaming.

Makes no difference to me. Funny story: sailing solo Statendam a couple of years ago to Alaska. Promenade stateroom, close to the outdoors.

We were pulling into Vancouver at about 5:30 am or so. I love Vancouver in the morning, so jumped up to watch us glide past Stanley Park, with the intention of being back in my bed in about 15 minutes. My plan was to enjoy my last morning in my fabulous bed, sleeping until about 7:30 or so. I had my coat on over my `sleepwear.`(which didn`t look at all like sleepwear....but I wasn`t in my robe;)!!)

By the time I got back into my room, which was probably less than 10 minutes, the bed was separated, already made up into 2 and pretty much that was it. No way was I going to mess up the bed again, obviously these guys were taking advantage of every spare minute....but I was seriously bummed!!

Is that a reply to me or to Brian? What Brian describes is not how it is happening as I have tried, fairly unsuccessfully, to describe in this thread

Hopefully, the stewards will not be making up the staterooms while the occupants are at breakfast & have not, as yet, vacated their staterooms! The staterooms should not be made up, either partially or fully, until the occupants have collected their luggage & have left their staterooms for the last time, according to their "silent" disembarkation time frame! As for myself, I intend on placing the "Do Not Disturb" card in the slot of my door while I am at breakfast & I will be remaining in my stateroom until the time comes for me to vacate it! :)

This is what the disembark form says.

I have enclosed a sample letter and the actual highlighting of various portions is mine and is not on the handout

DBA

Thanks for this info--we will be leaving on a cruise in about 2 months and I am looking forward to going right to the cabin.

now, for something really pressing--how did you upload the thumbnail?;)

I have been trying to figure out how to add a pdf or other file to my message for a while and haven't broken the code.

didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Thanks

ML

I rather doubt that someone who is fully dressed, packed & ready to leave the ship will lay down for 15 min on a made up bed..

But if they do, I'm sure the linens on the bed will be changed for new Psgrs..

Cheers... :)Betty

Hi again Serendipity1499,

Thanks for replying to my post!:)

I would hope they would change the sheets again, if they knew the bed had been used, that's for sure. I also understand the time pressures involved on changeover day.

We all have different ideas about what we think is acceptable. I spend about half my life in hotels, and I would not be happy if a hotel customer still had access to their hotel room once the bed had been made up for the next guest. It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Like others have said, it would be nice to have a less busy LIDO at lunchtime, so there are pluses and minuses for everything....

It is just my preference that the room is serviced after the previous guests have left, than while they are still using it, partially or otherwise.

:D:D:D

If there's a choice between staying in my cabin later on that last day, or entering it earlier on the first day, then I want to stay.

Looks like there's no choice.

:confused: Yet the letter indicates otherwise. Guess this is another of those HAL "works in progress". And that I'll know for myself in a little over a month.

But Ruth..Please think about it..We asked for a 9:30 disembarkation on the Noordam..The letter asked us to be in the lounge at 9:15..That is only 15 minutes prior to our requested time of disembarkation..At least we didn't have to go through a sea of people sitting on the steps with all their luggage to get off the ship..We've done that before & it stinks..This way everyone was asked to be in their assigned spot 15 minutes prior to their time to leave..It was the best disembarkation we've ever had!..

We can't have it both ways...I would bet that more people would rather go to their lunch un-encumbered (sp?) with luggage..We each cart around hand luggage as we both take Meds, have a change of clothes cameras, etc..We will not just leave it any place..I would rather lock my luggage in our cabin on boarding, & then go for a leisurely lunch...After lunch we can leave our table for others & are free to explore the ship..This way late comers won't have to search for a table in the Lido..

Hi again Serendipity1499,

Thanks for replying to my post!:)

I would hope they would change the sheets again, if they knew the bed had been used, that's for sure. I also understand the time pressures involved on changeover day.

We all have different ideas about what we think is acceptable. I spend about half my life in hotels, and I would not be happy if a hotel customer still had access to their hotel room once the bed had been made up for the next guest. It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Like others have said, it would be nice to have a less busy LIDO at lunchtime, so there are pluses and minuses for everything....

It is just my preference that the room is serviced after the previous guests have left, than while they are still using it, partially or otherwise.

:D

That I understand, however when you check into a hotel or out of a hotel, they have locked baggage rooms where you can check your luggage if necessary..

Ships don't have that & we learned our lesson never to leave hand luggage where we can't see it on our very first cruise in the 70's...DH slung our camera across the handle of our carry-ons & I watched it..Just for one minuted I turned to talk to DH while he was paying our Hotel bill...In that one split second our camera was gone!..We had to wait until St Thomas to buy a new one..

Now I'm sure that will not happen abroad a ship, however someone could by mistake take our luggage with all our Meds in them..That would be a major problem for both of us..I would rather lock it in our cabin on boarding & I'm willing to bet most embarking Psgrs would rather have it that way..

IMO getting into our cabin early is much more important than staying an extra 15 minutes in the cabin & not having to go through crowds of people sitting with their luggage on the staircases..:eek: They were all in their assigned spots until a crew called their number only in that room,/ area of the ship..

Cheers...:)Betty

:confused: But I have thought about it, Betty. I've never had to schlep my luggage on embarkation day, as there has always been a secure area in which to store it. I checked the luggage, ran errands around the ship, then picked the luggage up when cabins were ready. Lunch was later---when it wasn't crowded.

I have liked being able to stay in my cabin until the last minute, use my rest room, then leave when called. It's no fun to be in a public lounge, then have to drag those carry-ons, just to go to the public restroom one last time.

But Ruth..Please think about it..We asked for a 9:30 disembarkation on the Noordam..The letter asked us to be in the lounge at 9:15..That is only 15 minutes prior to our requested time of disembarkation..At least we didn't have to go through a sea of people sitting on the steps with all their luggage to get off the ship..We've done that before & it stinks..This way everyone was asked to be in their assigned spot 15 minutes prior to their time to leave..It was the best disembarkation we've ever had!..

We can't have it both ways...I would bet that more people would rather go to their lunch un-encumbered (sp?) with luggage..We each cart around hand luggage as we both take Meds, have a change of clothes cameras, etc..We will not just leave it any place..I would rather lock my luggage in our cabin on boarding, & then go for a leisurely lunch...After lunch we can leave our table for others & are free to explore the ship..This way late comers won't have to search for a table in the Lido..

That I understand, however when you check into a hotel or out of a hotel, they have locked baggage rooms where you can check your luggage if necessary..

Ships don't have that & we learned our lesson never to leave hand luggage where we can't see it on our very first cruise in the 70's...DH slung our camera across the handle of our carry-ons & I watched it..Just for one minuted I turned to talk to DH while he was paying our Hotel bill...In that one split second our camera was gone!..We had to wait until St Thomas to buy a new one..

Now I'm sure that will not happen abroad a ship, however someone could by mistake take our luggage with all our Meds in them..That would be a major problem for both of us..I would rather lock it in our cabin on boarding & I'm willing to bet most embarking Psgrs would rather have it that way..

IMO getting into our cabin early is much more important than staying an extra 15 minutes in the cabin & not having to go through crowds of people sitting with their luggage on the staircases..:eek: They were all in their assigned spots until a crew called their number only in that room,/ area of the ship..

Cheers...:)Betty

I couldn't have said it better. Would rather get in early and leave a little earlier leaving my nails scratching the door.:)

Ruth, FWIW, the disembark form says assembly in the designated area 15 minutes before departure is suggested not required. Sounds to me like you can stay until your number is called. Here's hoping that proves to be the case for you.

(I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you can still hear numbers being called via the TV because I wasn't even aware that you could do so before.)

Ruth, FWIW, the disembark form says assembly in the designated area 15 minutes before departure is suggested not required. Sounds to me like you can stay until your number is called. Here's hoping that proves to be the case for you.

"Suggested" as in how to dress on formal nights? Or "suggested" as in "Come sooner or later, but do come."?

Guess I'll know soon enough! :D

"Suggested" as in how to dress on formal nights? Or "suggested" as in "Come sooner or later, but do come."?

Guess I'll know soon enough! :D

LOL!!! You read my mind :D I thought of adding that part just before you posted!

DBA

Thanks for this info--we will be leaving on a cruise in about 2 months and I am looking forward to going right to the cabin.

now, for something really pressing--how did you upload the thumbnail?;)

I have been trying to figure out how to add a pdf or other file to my message for a while and haven't broken the code.

didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Thanks

ML

Once I had the pic file I wanted, down below where you type your message there's the "manage attachments" button. Click it and follow the details/requirements listed

Archived