Help! Our AQ cabin is under the threadmills!

Ollieowl

Hi all,

This cruise on Equinox will be our very 1st cruise ever. Finally I have got my husband to agree to go on a cruise to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Booked AQ on Equinox and have already changed cabins once from 1561, which was under the overhang, which we dont want, to a sunny cabin, 1514. I realise it is under the gym, and there have been a few recent posts about this cabin area under the gym, with people on threadmills from 6.30am to 11pm and noise coming through to the cabins below.

My T.A. says not to worry, we are paying so much for this cruise that it couldnt possibly be noisy!

Should we ask to change cabins again? At this stage there doesnt seem to be much else available in AQ that is not covered by the overhang.

I have checked out that popular website that tells me whats available!

So, question for all- do we stay with 1514, or should we change, and if so, to what?

"My T.A. says not to worry, we are paying so much for this cruise that it couldnt possibly be noisy!"

I can't believe your TA said that. Her reasoning doesn't make sense. There are Sky suites and Celebrity suites right underneath the pool...and they are more expensive than AQ..and not quiet.

I agree with the above poster; the price you pay for the cruise has nothing to do with the room being quiet or not; odd comment by your TA.

It looks like you have three choices:

1) Aqua Class stateroom without overhang, but under gym

2) Aqua Class stateroom with overhang, but quiet location

3) Change to a different category if you want both quiet and no overhang

Aqua Class has some nice perks, but most of the staterooms are either under potentially noisy area and/or with overhang. That is likely how on purpose by Celebrity - they made staterooms that are normally less desirable command a premium by offering nice perks for booking those rooms.

Another option is to stay put in Aqua Class and frequently check to see if a more desirable room opens up. Often as final payment date approaches people cancel and rooms open up. Likewise shortly after final payment there sometimes is a shifting of cabin availability as people do upgrades.

You have chosen a great ship for your husband's first cruise; IMHO S-Class ships are the best out there among the mass market cruise lines. Don't fret too much about the stateroom. :)

Whether your balcony is "sunny or not" will depend what direction you're heading, in relation to the sun!

Huh? :confused:

Have you ever sailed on a Celebrity ship before?

On S-Class ships much of the Penthouse deck has a large overhang and these balconies are usually in the shade; doesn't matter what direction the ship is heading. I actually prefer shade, so it works well for me, but many enjoy sun on their balcony.

AQ has indeed been invented to sell less desirable cabins as premium ones in a "seperate class". It was and is a very clever marketing scheme!

This is not to say that AQ is bad. Blu is certainly a nice venue, although personally, I am not aroused by its menu. Also the Persian Gardens are a treat for some, although my wife and I do not want to wear bathing suits in a spa ( we're from Continental Europe) so will not use it

We were in AQ `1640 and 1642 last December and they were dead quite and quite well located nearer the 10 bay eleveator bank.

Yes there is an overhang. Its also good when it rains since no water ever touches veranda.

We are booked in the same cabins this August for a Baltic cruise

I agree with the above poster; the price you pay for the cruise has nothing to do with the room being quiet or not; odd comment by your TA.

It looks like you have three choices:

1) Aqua Class stateroom without overhang, but under gym

2) Aqua Class stateroom with overhang, but quiet location

3) Change to a different category if you want both quiet and no overhang

Aqua Class has some nice perks, but most of the staterooms are either under potentially noisy area and/or with overhang. That is likely how on purpose by Celebrity - they made staterooms that are normally less desirable command a premium by offering nice perks for booking those rooms.

Another option is to stay put in Aqua Class and frequently check to see if a more desirable room opens up. Often as final payment date approaches people cancel and rooms open up. Likewise shortly after final payment there sometimes is a shifting of cabin availability as people do upgrades.

You have chosen a great ship for your husband's first cruise; IMHO S-Class ships are the best out there among the mass market cruise lines. Don't fret too much about the stateroom. :)

Thanks Gonzo, Maybe I am fretting too much!

I am an early morning person and would quite happily go to the gym at 7am or so if I am awake, but my husband will quite possibly freak if he is woken every morning at 6.30!

Our final payment is due in 10 days or so, so I will keep an eye out for other AQ cabins opening up. I think I would be happy with a C2 but then we couldnt eat in BLU.

However as this will be our 1st cruise I am sure it will all be pretty wonderful in any case.

We were in AQ `1640 and 1642 last December and they were dead quite and quite well located nearer the 10 bay eleveator bank.

Yes there is an overhang. Its also good when it rains since no water ever touches veranda.

We are booked in the same cabins this August for a Baltic cruise

We were also in 1640 on Solstice and it was great stateroom, totally disagree that these are somehow "lesser" cabins, certainly as good as any I've had outside of suites. Had best stateroom attendant EVER, I'd switch to one open in this part of the ship...great location.

Hi all,

This cruise on Equinox will be our very 1st cruise ever. Finally I have got my husband to agree to go on a cruise to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Booked AQ on Equinox and have already changed cabins once from 1561, which was under the overhang, which we dont want, to a sunny cabin, 1514. I realise it is under the gym, and there have been a few recent posts about this cabin area under the gym, with people on threadmills from 6.30am to 11pm and noise coming through to the cabins below.

My T.A. says not to worry, we are paying so much for this cruise that it couldnt possibly be noisy!

Should we ask to change cabins again? At this stage there doesnt seem to be much else available in AQ that is not covered by the overhang.

I have checked out that popular website that tells me whats available!

So, question for all- do we stay with 1514, or should we change, and if so, to what?

We are planning our cruise on a Solstice class ship, so we've done our home work first.

These ships lack a choice of classes of comfortable balcony cabins (below full suites). All cabins are technically the same. The only difference is location. A few of them have larger balconies.

Technically they are one class cabins.

There are no "mini-suites" , or "deluxe vs standard", or any class of really larger, more comfortable cabins (more real "hardware").

The "difference" between "classes" on Solstice ships is achieved by adding "perks" (gimmicks) to the same class cabins (more "software"). Those "perks" are sold for extra $200-300 p/person.

For unknown reason the most expensive (correct word will be "sold at highest price") AQ cabins are located in the worst area under the public deck, under the overhang, between "fish bones" and are most affected by the ship movement.

We usually look for cabins that offer real value (not expensive gimmicks) and travel in OC class cabins (Our Class).

You can find a better located "regular class" cabin (the best are on the hump corners) and save $$$ to spend on whatever you (not the cruise line) want.

IMO AQ is not worse extra penny.

Sailed Solstice last month in AQ 1523. Picked that room because out from under overhang/not under pool deck, immediately under quiet Persian Garden, and with direct view down to water. Very rare and minor noise from Persian Garden door opening and shower immediately above, but never an issue after the spa shut down at 11pm each night.

Thought in future about going with 1519 (bed near door) or 1521 (bed near balcony), since also beneath Garden and a tad further forward away from Garden door (fairly loud "click" when you go in and out of it), but still under tile loungers.

Shade on first half of journey down to islands, but sunny every day on balcony on way back to FL (obviously dep on cloud cover). Loved having a full breakfast every morning on the balcony afforded by staying in AQ/Concierge or above.

Actually, loved everything about AQ, esp Blu with fantastic food & staff, and the ability to just walk in for a table at any time. Would stick with AQ, just wouldn't get a room under gym or pool deck if at all possible (my pref).

Another good area, I thought, would be under the salon on the opposite side, in a stateroom adjacent to the accessible rooms, which also has select traffic/hours. Just my 2 cents. Have fun ... you're gonna love the cruise! :)

Hi

For what it's worth we were in 1510 last fall and my wife, who is a very light sleeper had absolutely no complaints. There were times I thought that I could hear treadmills, but in general it was difficult to know if sounds were coming from above or next door.

On the other hand, if you are anticipating a problem then that may be a good enough reason to move to avoid the anxiety. I disagree with those who don't think AQ is worth the cost.

Unfortunately all the cabins under the hairdresser seem to be taken. There are a few AQ 1643, 1644,1645 but all are under the overhang. As we live in Ireland this 2 weeks on our Eastern Med cruise may be the only sun we will see in the summer! Those of you who have visited Ireland will know that we are not known for our sunny summers!!

Sailed Solstice last month in AQ 1523. Picked that room because out from under overhang/not under pool deck, immediately under quiet Persian Garden, and with direct view down to water. Very rare and minor noise from Persian Garden door opening and shower immediately above, but never an issue after the spa shut down at 11pm each night.

Thought in future about going with 1519 (bed near door) or 1521 (bed near balcony), since also beneath Garden and a tad further forward away from Garden door (fairly loud "click" when you go in and out of it), but still under tile loungers.

Shade on first half of journey down to islands, but sunny every day on balcony on way back to FL (obviously dep on cloud cover). Loved having a full breakfast every morning on the balcony afforded by staying in AQ/Concierge or above.

Actually, loved everything about AQ, esp Blu with fantastic food & staff, and the ability to just walk in for a table at any time. Would stick with AQ, just wouldn't get a room under gym or pool deck if at all possible (my pref).

Another good area, I thought, would be under the salon on the opposite side, in a stateroom adjacent to the accessible rooms, which also has select traffic/hours. Just my 2 cents. Have fun ... you're gonna love the cruise! :)

We were in 1521 on the Equinox and it was a quiet cabin. Never bothered by noise from above at any time.

In April we will be in 1547 for the 3rd time! Love that cabin with the larger balcony and the bed by the bath. No noise from above on this cabin either. The window washing thingee is parked a couple of doors down from 1547 but it doesn't interfere with our sight lines.

We were in 1521 on the Equinox and it was a quiet cabin. Never bothered by noise from above at any time.

In April we will be in 1547 for the 3rd time! Love that cabin with the larger balcony and the bed by the bath. No noise from above on this cabin either. The window washing thingee is parked a couple of doors down from 1547 but it doesn't interfere with our sight lines.

It seems to me that the odd number cabins on the port side may be quieter than those on the starboard side, as there are no threadmills overhead, thats if the deck plans are correct. Maybe we can ask to switch to the port side.

It seems to me that the odd number cabins on the port side may be quieter than those on the starboard side, as there are no threadmills overhead, thats if the deck plans are correct. Maybe we can ask to switch to the port side.

You could do that! Be sure to check the deck plans to see what is above the prospective cabin.

When I first booked our upcoming April cruise, 1547 was not available so we booked 1545 and I kept checking for 1547 to open up. When it did, 3 days after final payment was due, I was johnny on the spot to switch cabins before it got away!

Might want to avoid being immediately beneath aerobics area if possible. Have read some reports that can be noisy in morning. Suppose better than treadmills, though. Anything beneath Persian Garden to accupuncture area would be consistently quieter, I would think. Best of luck...

Looks like 1509 is available for your cruise per the Celebrity site just now. I know it's difficult to be sure with deck plans online, but it may be far enough back to be under the steam room in Persian Garden, and not under the aerobics area. Didn't find mention of that room under the "sticky" for Solstice cabins (identical to other Solstice class ships as far as stateroom numbering/location), but below is the comment on 1511 next door:

Deck - Penthouse

Cabin # - 1511

Class – AquaClass

Starboard or Port Side - Port

Bed near?(balcony or bath) – Balcony

Quiet Cabin (With comments on problems. Note if connecting. ) – Extremely...

Thanks travlindoc. It's hard to see from deck plans if 1509 is under the aerobics area or not. If it is, it might be equally noisy.

I really appreciate all your replies and I have got so much information, or as my husband says, too much information! from this board.

Unfortunately all the cabins under the hairdresser seem to be taken. There are a few AQ 1643, 1644,1645 but all are under the overhang. As we live in Ireland this 2 weeks on our Eastern Med cruise may be the only sun we will see in the summer! Those of you who have visited Ireland will know that we are not known for our sunny summers!!

I was in 1644 in November and had no problems with sun on the balcony I do remember it being sunny in the balcony in spite of the overhang :)

Archived