What about the Century?

Lml513

I haven't sailed on the Century but am considering a cruise later this year. There's lots and lots of information in the archives, so type Century into the search box at the top right-hand side of the page, and sit back and enjoy reading about her.

Bon voyage

Betsy

We spent two weeks on the Century going from Miami to Barcelona in the Spring of 2010, loved it so much we went two weeks in the Fall on the Century from Barcelona to Miami. We were not alone. We met others who felt as we did and booked the return to do it again.

We are also booked on the April 29th Century Panama Canal trip.

So I guess we like the ship.

It isn't glitzy but it has an intimate elegance. It feels like a ship, not a big resort hotel. You have to like that. The food is fantastic, the service impeccable and it is well appointed. The concierge class cabins are pretty new and very pretty. The cabins are on the small side but well designed.

The brilliant cabins on the Century are the sky suites, especially on the Sports Deck, the 12th deck on top of the ship. These cabins are large and have huge verandas.

The pools are older and not terribly large. But the pool butlers will cover you with a towel if they think you are burning (at least I saw one person do it and the man he woke up was very appreciative) and they will pass out little cups of sorbet at the pool during the afternoon.

There is no t pool, thalassotherapy pool, on the Century. I don't imagine you would miss it on the Panama Canal trip but it certainly would have been nice going across the North Atlantic.

If you have specific Century questions, I would be happy to try and answer.

fern

fern

Nice of you to offer..so I shall take u up on it being a 'first-timer'...on Celebrity anyway :)

Did u try the specialty restaurant and what were if yes, your experiences?

Any particular Sky Suite u wld recommend or a C1 or C2 cabin perhaps?

Just a shower - no tub in C1 or 2 cabins or both? How about in the Skys bathrooms?

Please feel free to add anything else u feel wld be of assistance..!

Thanking u so much in advance for sharing your experiences & info, most appreciated! :)

We were on the Century a couple of years ago sailing Ireland/Scotland. We had a Sky Suite on the back of the ship and it was great. The room wasn't any bigger than the Concierge Class, but the balcony was huge. We did eat at the Murano and it was FANTASTIC. Highly recommend it. I believe we ate there twice because it was so good. It isn't as fancy as teh S class ships, but it is nice. I do like the martini bar on this ship more than on the S class ships IMHO.

Nice of you to offer..so I shall take u up on it being a 'first-timer'...on Celebrity anyway :)

Did u try the specialty restaurant and what were if yes, your experiences?

Any particular Sky Suite u wld recommend or a C1 or C2 cabin perhaps?

Just a shower - no tub in C1 or 2 cabins or both? How about in the Skys bathrooms?

Please feel free to add anything else u feel wld be of assistance..!

Thanking u so much in advance for sharing your experiences & info, most appreciated! :)

Good morning!

Murano's is the specialty restaurant and I have been there twice. It is not to be missed if you are willing to spend the $35.00 up charge pp. The food is fabulous, the room is lovely, the waitstaff and maitre d' are so good, yet they smile and are kind and want you genuinely to be happy with your meal. It's a small I tomato setting. Go there if you can. No one is ever disappointed.

If you can get a good deal ... a residency discount or senior or other discount if it applies, the sky suite is where to be. It will spoil you forever, however. On my two transatlantics, the prices were really good. Not so much for us on the Panama Canal trip ... They didn't choose our state for discount! ... But we are going anyway! The concierge rooms are very pretty but small. Look on Celebrity's website and navigate to the ships and then compare the cabin sizes on the Century. Or, to make it easy, go to the April 29th Century sailing, pretend you want to book it, and navigate to the page where you choose your cabin. While the sky suites aren't really suites in that they are only a large comfortable room, the veranda is so big it really is the second room. We spent all our time out there. There are two padded plungers, a small table, and a large dining table and dining chairs to eat outside ... and of course the butler will serve you meals out there ... with tablecloth and china and crystal ... Any time you want. We loved cabin 1210 ... Starboard ... going east across the Atlantic. We were in 1227 ... port side ... going west across the Atlantic. It was all about where the sun is. And we are in 1209 on the Panama Canal trip. The cabins are pretty identical although some will tell you otherwise. Further back, you are clos to the elevators or to run down one flight of stairs to the buffet to pick up sushi to eat on the veranda or grab your breakfast to take back up one flight. Further forward ... 1210 for example, you are closer to the doors out to the deck for an early morning walk. But it is all very close so don't worry too much. Depending on your trip, consider where the sun will be when making any cabin decision that involves a veranda.

The sky suite bathrooms are almost like a bathroom at home. A tub with jets like a Jacuzzi... marble counter, lots of storage and ample room to move about. CC bathrooms have no tub and are much tighter but still nicely done and certainly manageable.

That's it for now. If you want to know more, just ask.

Have fun!

Fern

First of all I would like to apologize for my iPad which auto corrects and says silly things I sometimes miss ... like tomatoes rather than intimate!

Second, I need to disagree about the size of cabins.

Sky suite: Stateroom Area: 246 sq. ft. | Veranda Area: 179 sq. ft. (some verandas 69 sq. ft.)

Concierge class: 170 sq. ft with 42 ft. veranda.

The first couple of sky suites ... 1200 and 1202 and I would double-check 1203 but I think not ... are wheelchair accessible and have 69 ft. verandas. The rest, and they are square which is nice, are the size of a small room with nice veranda furniture. Absolutely no comparison.

I have spent two millennium class trips off the back of the ship in 8166 and those too are great verandas. Once you get used to space, it is hard to go back! That's the only potential downside of a wonderful cabin space!

Fern

My wife and I are considering the April 29 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Century. I would appreciate any comments or input about the ship. Thank you.

In Jan/11 we were on the Century for only 4 short nights & it is by far my favourite size of ship. When it was updated a few years ago it was the first ship to have the Martini Ice Bar, it has by far the nicest Martini room of all the ships. It was very clean, still has lots of wood & the crew were great. You should have a fantastic cruise.

Century was my 1st ship on Celebrity back in 2003 and will be sailing her

again in May for the 6th time and I can't wait:) My last cruise on her

was in April 2009 so it will be 2 years and I am so looking forward to it.

The Aqua Spa Cafe is really nice....healthier fare but still very delicious.

Open for breakfast and lunch. Murano's is the Specialty Restaurant...

excellent food and service. 35.00 per person and in my opinion, worth

every penney.

I also agree the Martini Bar is ALOT of fun:D

Enjoy your cruise!:)

The Century is my favorite ship! I've done a couple 4 night trips on her out of Miami and wish I had discovered her sooner. I am booked on the West Coast trip in May 2012, so I do have a cruise on her to look forward to.

I also love the Martini Bar and also don't miss the Sunset Bar.

I would definately recommend sailing on the Century:)

Beth

We spent two weeks on the Century going from Miami to Barcelona in the Spring of 2010, loved it so much we went two weeks in the Fall on the Century from Barcelona to Miami. We were not alone. We met others who felt as we did and booked the return to do it again.

We are also booked on the April 29th Century Panama Canal trip.

So I guess we like the ship.

It isn't glitzy but it has an intimate elegance. It feels like a ship, not a big resort hotel. You have to like that. The food is fantastic, the service impeccable and it is well appointed. The concierge class cabins are pretty new and very pretty. The cabins are on the small side but well designed.

The brilliant cabins on the Century are the sky suites, especially on the Sports Deck, the 12th deck on top of the ship. These cabins are large and have huge verandas.

The pools are older and not terribly large. But the pool butlers will cover you with a towel if they think you are burning (at least I saw one person do it and the man he woke up was very appreciative) and they will pass out little cups of sorbet at the pool during the afternoon.

There is no t pool, thalassotherapy pool, on the Century. I don't imagine you would miss it on the Panama Canal trip but it certainly would have been nice going across the North Atlantic.

fern

Hi

We are on the same cruise. Room on the 12th deck (veranda aft). I would like to know about making reservations for the Murano. We don't want to reserve on formal nights (not sure how many there will be on this cruise) but want to make reservations.

What do you suggest. Make reservations prior to cruise or book when we get aboard? We don't know the nigts of formal night so making a reservation prior is a hit and miss. Any suggestions?

Bob

Hi,

I agree that the Celebrity Century is a great ship. I cruised on her back in 1997 when she less than two years old. Also, I cruised on her again this past November. Celebrity did a wonderful job with the major refurbishment a few yars ago. The ship is in excellent shape for an older ship. I had a Concierge Class stateroom and greatly enjoyed it. Also, I highly recommend dinner at Murano. Further, the ice cream in the Islands Cafe is wonderful.

I really like the Century's smaller size. It reminds me of cruises in the "good old days" during the 1980s and 1990s. The Century is a ship rather than a floating amusement park.

Chuck

Hi

We are on the same cruise. Room on the 12th deck (veranda aft). I would like to know about making reservations for the Murano. We don't want to reserve on formal nights (not sure how many there will be on this cruise) but want to make reservations.

What do you suggest. Make reservations prior to cruise or book when we get aboard? We don't know the nigts of formal night so making a reservation prior is a hit and miss. Any suggestions?

Bob

Hi, Bob.

Usually I make reservations in advance for specialty restaurants. This time I am not because we have lots of onboard

credit and I may as well use some of it to dine there. (If you do it in advance, your credit card is billed.) Just wing it and choose a night that you would like. If you miss a formal night, well Murano's will be as formal as you would like it to be. That's how I look at it. And you can always change your reservation, if possible, onboard. I am going to go down there and make a reservation when I get on the ship that first day.

Hope this helps. If you are aft up top you might get Arles and he's a wonderful butler and person. We were in 1237 last time and it was a great location. Now we are in 1209, equally good. Cannot be bad!

Fern

We sailed the Century twice, including last month, and love her! We had a C1, which is not large, but it has tons of storage space unlike in the S-Class. Murano was superb. And the house musicians are really, really good.

Celebrity ships don't have full wrap-around promenade decks, but the one on the Century is pretty extensive. There are also staircases aft that run from the promenade decks all the way up to the Sunset bar deck. I just noticed this on our last cruise and for some reason I thought it was very cool!

all this great info...I am most appreciative!!

Sounds like I made a good choice with the Century :) I much prefer a ship over a floating resort - nothing wrong with that but for myself less distance onboard is preferable so a smaller ship is for me & to just enjoy the ambience of the ship, fine dining and to relax & watch the water & scenery go by..sound like heaven to me... :)

I have chosen a Concierge Class cabin w/o a tub but being mobility challenged, just the shower works better for me and travelling solo the cabin size is definately no problem.

Please, if I may be permitted, just a few more questions:

Does one rent DVD movies and/or does the cruiseline show movies on the TV?

Is shampoo/hand lotion etc supplied or shld I bring my own?

Am I permitted to bring a bottle of wine onboard & some tomato/clamato juice or are u able to purchase same and is there a fridge for storing drinks (Concierge class cabin)?

Is there a small tray in the room - say under the ice bucket if there is one (some cruiselines won't supply trays anymore to carry food in their buffet area)?

Thanks so much to u all for sharing your experiences & recommendations..!! :)

Sounds like I made a good choice with the Century :) I much prefer a ship over a floating resort - nothing wrong with that but for myself less distance onboard is preferable so a smaller ship is for me & to just enjoy the ambience of the ship, fine dining and to relax & watch the water & scenery go by..sound like heaven to me... :)

I have chosen a Concierge Class cabin w/o a tub but being mobility challenged, just the shower works better for me and travelling solo the cabin size is definately no problem.

Does one rent DVD movies and/or does the cruiseline show movies on the TV?

Is shampoo/hand lotion etc supplied or shld I bring my own?

Am I permitted to bring a bottle of wine onboard & some tomato/clamato juice or are u able to purchase same and is there a fridge for storing drinks (Concierge class cabin)?

Is there a small tray in the room - say under the ice bucket if there is one (some cruiselines won't supply trays anymore to carry food in their buffet area)?

We are sailing on the Century Monday for the 5 day Western and want to hopefully join up wit a group of people for the Foster's West Bay Resort dya package. We are 2 and we need a toal of 8 for the best rate. It may be a little late in the game for this but I figured worth a try. We were there in November and it is by far superior to Tabyana where you are packed like sardines. The grilled lobster lunch is to die for and the hospitality great. Got a special treat on the way back to the ship when he took us the scenic route.

Celebrity ships don't have full wrap-around promenade decks, but the one on the Century is pretty extensive. There are also staircases aft that run from the promenade decks all the way up to the Sunset bar deck. I just noticed this on our last cruise and for some reason I thought it was very cool!

Virtually all ships used to have aft stairs. It is one of the things we loved about the Mercury. Once they invented aft balconies -- that was the end of aft stairs on cruise ships. Stairs don't generate revenue. ;)

We always booked and outside cabin in the aft and we were just steps away for the outside. Since the Mercury didn't have a ton of balconies, they were more then we like to spend.

I'm glad the Century didn't loose her's in the big makeover.

We'll be on our first Centruy cruise in September! :)

Does one rent DVD movies and/or does the cruiseline show movies on the TV? Just check the daily paper show movies most if not everyday.

Is shampoo/hand lotion etc supplied or shld I bring my own? - Supplied

Am I permitted to bring a bottle of wine onboard & some tomato/clamato juice or are u able to purchase same and is there a fridge for storing drinks (Concierge class cabin)?- 2 bottles per cabin & you can have your room steward clean out the small fridge & use that for storing drinks

Is there a small tray in the room - say under the ice bucket if there is one (some cruiselines won't supply trays anymore to carry food in their buffet area)? Yes & the Century also has trays in the buffet.

See answers above, you will enjoy. Also when we went through the Panama they opened up the very front of the ship by the helipad to get the full effect of going through the canal, but it was on the Infinity not the Century but I would ask it was amazing.

The bow of the ship is one of the things I like about HAL -- they have it open a lot. It is a great place to enter port, and I bet the canal was terrific from there.

We went through the canal on the old Costa Daphne -- 400 passengers and we could go almost anywhere we wanted. We and our friends climbed (hand over hand) to a little spot that ran in front of the bridge. It was there to clean the bridge windows. They told us it was fine, we just need to stay down -- we had the same view as the captain and pilot -- that will never be repeated. :)

Hi, Bob.

Usually I make reservations in advance for specialty restaurants. This time I am not because we have lots of onboard

credit and I may as well use some of it to dine there. (If you do it in advance, your credit card is billed.) Just wing it and choose a night that you would like. If you miss a formal night, well Murano's will be as formal as you would like it to be. That's how I look at it. And you can always change your reservation, if possible, onboard. I am going to go down there and make a reservation when I get on the ship that first day.

Hope this helps. If you are aft up top you might get Arles and he's a wonderful butler and person. We were in 1237 last time and it was a great location. Now we are in 1209, equally good. Cannot be bad!

Fern

Hi Fern,

I will make reservations at Murano thanks to your posting. I was holding back but after what you said, hey, go for it.

Thanks and hope to see you aboard. Are you going to the Connections Party?

Hi Fern,

I will make reservations at Murano thanks to your posting. I was holding back but after what you said, hey, go for it.

Thanks and hope to see you aboard. Are you going to the Connections Party?

Hi, Bob.

Glad you are going. You will absolutely not regret it. The goat cheese souffle is their signature appetizer and both chocolate souffles and the dessert sampler are worthy enough to leave room for.

Yes, I just signed us up for the cc party. I have yet to introduce myself on the roll call, but I will soon. We weren't sure we were going until final payment time forced our hand And of course we went for it.

Being on the sea is too wonderful to pass up!

Fern

Hi There,

We are considering booking a cruise on the Century. Can anyone tell me what the balcony furniture is like in a 2B category? Is the furniture upgraded for CC class or are there cushions on the chairs? We like to be comfortable sitting out on our balcony with a glass of wine. :) Thank you!

Saw her gliding by yesterday. A few more shorty cruises then shes off to Alaska, then Australia. Booked on both the Canal and Pacific Coastal wine cruises. I too prefer a ship that feels like a ship, not a bordello. Century is intimate. Feels like a Happy ship to me with an excellent staff. Especially like Chandru, the Elite host. Only negative is small pool. Love T pools and the solarium ones on other X ships. Anyone know her new US home port after she returns from Australia. Baltimore or Charleston?

Archived