Casablanca and local foods

old dude

Travel doctor has informed us that most people who eat in Casablanca even in nice hotels often end up with stomach upsets.:( He has suggested meds to take with us. We are going to do a side trip that includes a meal. Now having second thoughts. Has anyone had this happen?

Travel doctor has informed us that most people who eat in Casablanca even in nice hotels often end up with stomach upsets.:( He has suggested meds to take with us. We are going to do a side trip that includes a meal. Now having second thoughts. Has anyone had this happen?

Rick Steves warns about eating in Morocco. Avoid unwashed fruit (don't eat the skin) salads and eating at marginal places.

I have been to Morocco and ate at good restaurants. Avoided the salads.

Rick Steves warns about eating in Morocco. Avoid unwashed fruit (don't eat the skin) salads and eating at marginal places.

I have been to Morocco and ate at good restaurants. Avoided the salads.

Avoiding fruits and salads is standard for us in much of the world. Ditto, not eating anyplace that does not appear clean. I'd rather go back to the ship starving that throwing up.

Used Iodine tablets in water to clean teeth.No ice in drinks.Eat cooked food

They made wonderful mint tea use boiling water so great to drink.Some wonderful pastry desserts.Drank bottled water.OK for alcohol so long as you do not add ice.

Also take deet fly spray with you.

Stayed for a week with no stomach problems.

same as with most other responses, we didn't eat in Casa, but took a tour to Marrakech where we ate at a beautiful hotel. We also ate at the BP service station that we stopped at in one direction and another servo on the way back. We ate both fruit and salads (at the hotel) but then we often eat at street vendors (cooked food only) wherever we travel.

No issues (touch wood) anywhere yet

I have stayed in Casa - loved it! - and did not get sick. But I always operate under "tropical rules" for eating when in places like this... and those rules are outlined above. One thing to watch beyond what has been mentioned are melons. They are full of ground water and I would never eat a melon in a place where I was unsure about the water...

I spent seven days in Morocco (the last day in Casablanca) several years ago and was very, very careful what I drank (only sealed bottles that I opened myself - including brushing my teeth with bottled water). The last day, I took a chance and had an alcoholic drink with ice at a fancy hotel. Sure 'nuff, I was hit about 36 hours later with a terrible case of turista, which had to be treated finally with Atropine and was a three-week bout. I can't say definitely it was the icecubes in the drink, but it's a good possibility. I've lived in the middle east for 2 1/2 years and traveled extensively there, and that was my first case of intestinal problems.

• 6 months later...

I usually take several boxes of probiotics with me when I travel and take one a day. My preferred brand is Culturelle. It should take care of bacterial problems because it populates your colon with good bacteria that fights off the bad. If I've been in an iffy situation, then I take one or two per hour to replenish the good bacteria. Not sure if this would help you, but it sure works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived