Which Barcelona HO HO bus ?

bcummin

Barcelona Bus Turistic (Hop On Hop Off bus) charges about $31.36 for one day and about $40.90 for two days, ages 13 to 99.

The Barcelona Tours bus has a 65+ senior discount, charging 18 Euros for one day or 22 Euros for two days. Not sure if tickets can be purchased at the Colombus Monument, though.

Both routes and descriptions are similar. What are the differences?

Is BBT worth the higher price?

Thank you for your help.

Barbara

I don't think I'd do the HOHO bus for 2 days.

It is not really the most convenient form of transportation but might be good for a city overview.

Public transportation in the city is widespread and easy to use. Taxis are everywhere, can be hailed on the street, and are not very expensive.

Thank you both for good opinions.

I also enjoyed queenL's Barcelona review detailing their HO HO bus experiences, but they did not come from a cruise ship to board the bus.

I am still trying to unravel the mystery of two different HO HO bus companies. The popular red BBT has three routes: red, blue, and green. The blue/orange Barcelona Tours bus has a senior discount, but can their tickets be purchased at the Columbus Monument?

Barbara

So far I have found out for you that the blue/orange buses allow you to either purchase the tix on line OR ON THE BUS itself.

This article is where I got that info:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-bus-tour.html

I will look for info now about the other HOHO bus for you.

OK HERE is the info on the Bus Turistic HOHO

It lists all the places where you can buy tix on this page . This is the official web site:

http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest/informacio

scroll down to see the list.

I had studied both of those websites and was hung up on the blue/orange's "Please start your tour at Catalunya Square, Barcelona" (Spainbooks - online ticket sales). You are right, we are not limited to that.

Riffatsea, thank you again for such good information. I also appreciate your many helpful posts on other threads.

Now I just want to feel that the cheaper choice is not somehow inferior.

Barbara

HI Barbara,

I really love Barcelona so am happy to help you enjoy your visit! I wish I could give you a report on which HOHO is best but since I don't use them I canNOT.

Be aware that depending on when you visit, these buses can be quite crowded and you may have to wait for one to have room for you to get on. The lines I saw waiting in Placa Catalunya were unbelievable in September!!

I have found the answer to some of my concerns in Insight Guides' "Barcelona City Guide."

"An alternative tourist bus Barcelona City Tour, run by Julia Tours, covers roughly the same route. Its main advantage is that there are fewer queues."

Scottbee, WHICH HO HO bus did you ride?

And was it worth what you paid?? Was it enjoyable except for the repeated details of Gaudi's demise???

http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest/rutes

We rode what is shown on their website as the Blue Route

Would I do it again; no. I'd buy a book of 10 subway tickets (€6.95) and hit the sights I wanted to see on my schedule. Subway is well marked; fast and easy.

(and for those dieing to know -- Gaudi was hit by a streetcar)

Barcelona is an easy city to get around on your own. The hop on bus is not the best way to see the city. If you choose that way, look at the stops and plan to board the bus in a not so popular stop. You may wait a long time to get on a bus after you get off. Also if it is a rainy day the bus windows fog up, and you will get soaked if you sit outside. Get a good map and do the city own your own, hit the popular attractions with the aid of subways, and taxi's. Besides one of the best attractions in Barcelona is La Rumbas, you can spend hours taking in the sights and attractions, All you need for that attraction is a pair of good walking shoes. Have fun and enjoy, keep you money in a pouch around your neck, under your clothes keep you camera in a fanny pack not on your wrist. Enjoy what ever you decide

Thanks for the information. I just have a quick question or two. I will be on the magic this summer. Which ho ho stop is closest to the ship and how many blocks would that be ? Also, which subway stop would I use and how far is it from the ship.

Thanks for your help, Linny

http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest/rutes

We rode what is shown on their website as the Blue Route

Would I do it again; no. I'd buy a book of 10 subway tickets (€6.95) and hit the sights I wanted to see on my schedule. Subway is well marked; fast and easy.

Unless you need to hear the audio, the HoHos aren't needed and the city is pretty walkable. In two days, we either walked or took two round trip taxi rides (one was to Parc Guell and the other to Magic Fountain at night). That was a total of 28 euros for four people over two days. We didn't go to Olympic Village or anywhere else much out of the way but walked everywhere else. It really wasn't that bad.

Thanks for the information. I just have a quick question or two. I will be on the magic this summer. Which ho ho stop is closest to the ship and how many blocks would that be ? Also, which subway stop would I use and how far is it from the ship.

Thanks for your help, Linny

To get to the ships, it's either a long walk down a pier, or catch the [blue] port shuttle bus for €2 that leaves from the ocean side of the Statue of Columbus on Ronda de Littoral (at the foot of Las Ramblas). Closest subway stop is Drassanes; which is about 50m up Las Ramblas

map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.375859,2.180303&spn=0.005732,0.013937&z=17

To get to the ships, it's either a long walk down a pier, or catch the [blue] port shuttle bus for €2 that leaves from the ocean side of the Statue of Columbus on Ronda de Littoral (at the foot of Las Ramblas). Closest subway stop is Drassanes; which is about 50m up Las Ramblas

map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.375859,2.180303&spn=0.005732,0.013937&z=17

I wouldn't walk along too many streets if you are carrying luggage - not with all of the thieves running around in Barcelona. If it's a port stop for the day, maybe that shuttle makes sense. But if you have luggage, maybe taxis make more sense.

I wouldn't walk along too many streets if you are carrying luggage - not with all of the thieves running around in Barcelona. If it's a port stop for the day, maybe that shuttle makes sense. But if you have luggage, maybe taxis make more sense.

Not a problem, we dragged our luggage from our B&B (on Passaig de Colom) to the port shuttle bus, and joined the 20ish other people on the port shuttle bus.

I really think alot of people think that every other person you meet on the street in Barcelona is a crook . After all we have no crooks in any of our cities. Why is it than I fell safe walking down La Rumblas late at night, I wound not feel safe walking at night in New York, Detroit, Washington DC JUst a thought

Not a problem, we dragged our luggage from our B&B (on Passaig de Colom) to the port shuttle bus, and joined the 20ish other people on the port shuttle bus.

Scottbee, do you have a recommendation for a good B & B in Barcelona in a safe area?

• 2 weeks later...

Last December we stayed two days post cruise and used the HOHO two day pass. We also each got a coupon book that had several coupons that could be used at attractions or shops along the route. The coupons almost paid for the second day ticket. I assume the coupon books are not special to HOHO but we didn't see them available anyplace else. The HOHO was great by allowing us to catch the highlights of Barcelona in a short time.

Scottbee, do you have a recommendation for a good B & B in Barcelona in a safe area?

http://www.marinaviewbcn.com/ A few small apartments in a building on Passaig de Colum. approx 2 blocks from the Columbus Statue (at the bottom of Las Ramblas). Is it a luxe hotel? no. Is it super clean, friendly, easy to get everything and includes internet and breakfast -- you bet.

Every night we headed out into the old part of town, and wandered around the cafes shops; location was excellent. Then on cruise day, walked two blocks to the port bus and hopped on. All of our transport around Barcelona was trains/subway/buses; very easy.

Archived