Lumberjack Show in Juneau

charlielinda

I found my review and copied what I had to say...

"From the description, many of us had been really looking forward to the show. Several of us had been to lumberjack shows previously and loved it and had even arranged our day to be able to attend this show. The Lumberjack Show was fun and entertaining BUT WAY OVERPRICED. I cannot recommend this show to others based on the ridiculous price of $39 per adult. The show was under 1 hour and much of it was silliness and not lumberjack events. There were only 4 lumberjacks and several competitions, all of which are over in a few seconds. We all agreed we liked it but not at that price, simply not worth it. You have all been warned :D"

We had an amazing trip overall. The part of our group at the show can have a good time anywhere and will always make the best of it but I know all in our group would have rather spent that time doing something else and the $39 on something else! As I have posted before, I would wait and see if you really have time for this, if so and you want to spend the money, you can probably buy walk up tickets, people were doing so right up until show time.

As I mentioned, the walking tour was very good and it extended much further than we had time for. I would have preferred to do that or go to Saxman or Totem.

Jen in SoCal

I'm looking for all opinions on the Lumberjack Show in Juneau -- was this don't miss thing to do -- Did you love it, hate it or in the middle. I am trying to decide so . . . all opinions are welcome :)
Edited by Jen1000

OK, one more try from me....this is my review on Trip Advisor, I think it describes our take on the show best.

"We attended the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Sept. during our day in Ketchikan off the Carnival Spirit. We were traveling with a group of 11 and had been looking forward to this show and some of us even planned our day around it. The show is not very long, maybe 45 minutes or so and much of it is filler/talking/jokes. There is not a lot of "lumberjacking" going on. The lumber jack events you get are great, but they are over very quickly. For what we paid, around $40 each, we felt it was very, very overpriced. I would not call it a "don't miss". We had all ages and all felt the same, nice but not worth the money or giving up something else in order to see it. If I had it all to do over again, I would have skipped it."

Jen in SoCal

I'm looking for all opinions on the Lumberjack Show in Juneau -- was this don't miss thing to do -- Did you love it, hate it or in the middle. I am trying to decide so . . . all opinions are welcome :)

I went last summer because I had a free ticket. It was fun, and as mentioned before, most of it was show and very little lumberjacking. A lot of the time is spent building up a "rivalry" between the Canadian and US teams with the audience divided up and expected to boo or cheer accordingly. I would never pay the asking price for it as I found it entertaining, but there are much better things to do in Ketchikan. Small kids would probably enjoy it though.

• 5 years later...

Everyone here who was less than enthusiastic about this show was way too polite. It was a Total Waste of Time and Money. The script was lame, the jokes were lame, the performers were amateurish and unimpressive as lumberjacks. A performer purportedly tried to carve a cute bunny rabbit with his power saw. After much mucking around, he cut two slices of "ears" at the top and at the back of the log he spent even more time using his machine to draw (... tada! :eek:) a smiley face. I should be paid $100 to sit through that instead of paying $40. Incidentally, the emcee said the lumberjacks called "Jack*sses." The "smart" bunny carver quickly came forward and said his name's Jack. This is the level of "comedy" that defines the show.

Everyone here who was less than enthusiastic about this show was way too polite. It was a Total Waste of Time and Money. The script was lame, the jokes were lame, the performers were amateurish and unimpressive as lumberjacks. A performer purportedly tried to carve a cute bunny rabbit with his power saw. After much mucking around, he cut two slices of "ears" at the top and at the back of the log he spent even more time using his machine to draw (... tada! :eek:) a smiley face. I should be paid $100 to sit through that instead of paying $40. Incidentally, the emcee said the lumberjacks called "Jack*sses." The "smart" bunny carver quickly came forward and said his name's Jack. This is the level of "comedy" that defines the show.

Maybe not for you...but...it was the one activity on our Alaska cruise we knew our toddler grandchild would enjoy and he did...the smile on his face as he was the one brought down and given the Bear Chair = priceless. No we didn't take the chair home with us...just the pictures ;)

Maybe not for you...but...it was the one activity on our Alaska cruise we knew our toddler grandchild would enjoy and he did...the smile on his face as he was the one brought down and given the Bear Chair = priceless. No we didn't take the chair home with us...just the pictures ;)

I agree. It is not for everyone but it always makes me smile and the kids love it so that is all I need to know.