The Donkeys in Santorini

Scorpiorose

Are you talking about the ride up or down the hillside?

I can't comment on about how well they are cared for, but when I was there we were advised not to take them. Actually, we were told don't take them on the way down, as they get tired. :eek:Apparently it is a smelly ride as well. We did the gondola down and I got a beautiful picture of the hillside at sunset.

Ahhh, I loved Greece :D

I can't comment on about how well they are cared for, but when I was there we were advised not to take them. Actually, we were told don't take them on the way down, as they get tired. :eek:Apparently it is a smelly ride as well. We did the gondola down and I got a beautiful picture of the hillside at sunset.

Yes, it looked like a rocky ride up the hill on youtube....but they looked well fed anyway.

Tell me I wont be followed and encountering a slew of starving dogs......this always is had for me when traveling outside the US....so I always bring some pouches of food and donate to the local shelter, but it puts a damper on the day if its wide spread......

Well we took the donkeys up and it was something I will always remember.

First of all, the donkeys we saw, and there were a lot of them, were all very well feed and taken care of. They were quite large, more like mules and quite healthy looking. There were ALOT of them - to the point where I don't think any one animal actually made that many trips UP the hill. They were turned loose to head back down with no one on them. We didnt see anyone riding down.

Second, the animals themselves did not smell, but the walkway did :eek:

First of all, the donkeys we saw, and there were a lot of them, were all very well feed and taken care of. They were quite large, more like mules and quite healthy looking. There were ALOT of them - to the point where I don't think any one animal actually made that many trips UP the hill. They were turned loose to head back down with no one on them. We didnt see anyone riding down.

I agree with you. I have taken the donkeys up at least four times and I have never seen that they are not treated well. It's also possible to ride down, but I would not recommend it since it is much easier to fall off on your way down. (Walking down takes less than 15 min.)

Screwcork

I agree with you. I have taken the donkeys up at least four times and I have never seen that they are not treated well. It's also possible to ride down, but I would not recommend it since it is much easier to fall off on your way down. (Walking down takes less than 15 min.)

Screwcork

We rode the cars DOWN....... it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be ;)

The Rough Guide book describes them as mules.

Jo.

Hey could I get more info regarding the gondola ride down? How much and where to go? It sounds so romantic! :p

Hey could I get more info regarding the gondola ride down? How much and where to go? It sounds so romantic! :p

Hey, Cassie- you won't have much choice at the end of your visit; it's either mule or walk down the 580 steps, or the cable car (gondola) to get back to the ship. It's only a few euros to ride in the cars, and you'll see that everyone's heading that way along the street towards the end of your visit.

Jo.

PICT0661.jpg.069a8b89a80709b731ea94f9d30bbbd2.jpg

The poster above me is correct. I don't remember paying as we were with a group.

As well, it may sound romantic, but it's not...sorry :p. As I recall (it was quite a few years ago) it was a fairly quick trip down. I can't even remember how many were in it?? I only had a quick chance to take a few sunset pictures and then it was over. lol. Still it is a beautiful place to visit!

From the YOUTUBE videos I've seen it looks like the donkeys on Santorini are well cared for. Any first handers know for sure how they are treated?

I want to take the ride but never want to contribute to anything where the animals arent treated kindly.

Thanks!

If you are under 14, a donkey ride may be inspiring. Not me. They smell, they c---, they try to bite sometimes, and they will rub up against a wall with your leg in the middle (as I was informed by my Son in Law).

By the end of the day there is so much donkey doo on the stairs its almost impossible to walk down and not get it on your shoes. Also the stairs smell like a very old and very unkept men's room. How do I know I took the gondola up , but chose to walk down with a few cruise-mates. We all thought it was a very bad decision.

By the end of the day there is so much donkey doo on the stairs its almost impossible to walk down and not get it on your shoes. Also the stairs smell like a very old and very unkept men's room. How do I know I took the gondola up , but chose to walk down with a few cruise-mates. We all thought it was a very bad decision.

Sage advise......

Archived