Cross over sandals from formal night on board to land tour after cruise

cristine

Any suggestions for a sandal that would work for both formal night, and then be practical for sightseeing in London & Paris..

I have a comfortable pair of walking shoes for day trips but would like something that would work for an evening stroll & dinner.

Because of the length of our trip, and train travel thru Europe trying NOT to take too many shoes, But I just can't seem to find the right sandal that would be comfortable & pretty. Am hoping to just take 2 pair. One walking one sandal..

Any suggestions for a sandal that would work for both formal night, and then be practical for sightseeing in London & Paris..

I have a comfortable pair of walking shoes for day trips but would like something that would work for an evening stroll & dinner.

Because of the length of our trip, and train travel thru Europe trying NOT to take too many shoes, But I just can't seem to find the right sandal that would be comfortable & pretty. Am hoping to just take 2 pair. One walking one sandal..

Maybe something like this would work. If you bought it, you might want to take a day to walk around your town to see how it felt. I think it would look fine with long pants or capris, I'm not sure about formal night.

http://www.zappos.com/privo-mickie-black-patent-leather

Formal AND walking sandals is a hard mix...I have sacrificed a bit on the formal end of the spectrum myself...prefering to have comfortable shoes that I feel safe walking around a ship in...the style I got is no longer available but the following shoes are both very close...

Jambu St. Martin in black

http://www.6pm.com/jambu-st-martin-2010-black

Jambu Espy in black

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46873&vid=1&pid=819941

I have the St Martin style in a bronze color...they are very comfortable...the memory foam bed is great and with today's chunky soles I'm hoping that they will work with whatever I end up wearing on formal night.

Zappos has lots of choices - not sure of your style but what about something like this?

http://www.zappos.com/product/7771203/color/552

or a strappy wedge sandal?

That's a really nice shoe, but I'm not sure I'd want to walk the cobbled streets in Europe in it. You may have to break down and bring a walking sandal that is separate from your formal sandal At least sandals don't take much room!:)

I think Anita wins the prize! That's about as close as you'll get to a multi-purpose sandal. Just make sure that you wear them, or any new shoe for a while to make sure that they are comfy. If you only bring 2 pairs and one turns out to be miserable to wear, you will be very unhappy to have saved a few ounces!

I agree about Naot if you are willing to pay that price point. Some Naot shoes are quite dressy looking, but almost every Naot shoe is comfy enough for long walks.

Actually I sympathize with the OP's predicament. I have spent a month searching for a dressy shoe that I can walk long distances in--meaning ALlure of the Seas distances from the MDR to the Theater and so on.

The truth is, however, I have not found a shoe that I think is truly a formal shoe that is also one that is intended for long walks and excursions. I've looked everywhere, Norstroms, Easy Spirit, Dillards, Macy's, Ecco, Naot, and so on, all to no avail.

I have these Teva sandals in black leather. They are amazingly sturdy, very comfortable, and willing to get wet. I have walked many miles in them. While not terribly dressy, I got away with them when dressed up because all anyone would notice on my feet was a few thin black straps. They are so slim and light that they would fit into my purse if necessary.

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=w&categoryID=425&productID=4244&model=Meadow+Luxe

If it looks formal, or even reasonably dressy, it won't hold up to long hikes around London or Paris. My advice would be to buy something cute and dressy for formal night, and invest in real walking shoes. You don't want your expensive vacation ruined by the wrong shoes. You may have to take something out of your suitcase to make room--or else just plan to wear the walking shoes on the plane.

I agree with the above. There's going to be a lot of "give" between a touring and a dress sandal. I did look at all the links, and the St Martains that someone posted are really cute. I have very wide feet, though, and I didn't see a wide size offered. :(

I have wider feet...though I don't wear a wide...if you don't actually need a wide but have wide feet, then Jambu may still work.

I would go with a low heel/strappy sandal or low wedge/strappy sandal.

As others have said, "walking shoes" are not dressy shoes, but from the sound of it you have those and are not talking about hiking around London/Paris.

Many Cole Haan shoes are good for walking but are stylish.

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-womens-sandals~1

• 2 weeks later...

How about something like this:835102-t-THUMBNAIL.jpgNaot Footwear: Isis

SKU# 7507305

Color: Jet Black Leather

size: 39 (US Women's 8)

width: M

$147.0010757-835105-t.jpgNaot Footwear: Genesis

SKU# 7507306

Color: Black Madras Leather/Black Net

size: 39 (US Women's 8)

width: M

Average pair dress sandals weighs maybe 1/2 lb. Any good local thrift shop will have an array of them in FL. No need to spend $100, maybe $8 or $9 in SoFla.I would go with some shoes w. support for onshore.

Average pair dress sandals weighs maybe 1/2 lb. Any good local thrift shop will have an array of them in FL. No need to spend $100, maybe $8 or $9 in SoFla.I would go with some shoes w. support for onshore.

I don't think the weight/packing is the only issue here. Someone wants to wear nice shoes to dinner and THEN walk around town after dinner, right? So wearing a pair of formal shoes that are not comfortable for walking (no matter how light they are and "easy" to fit into the bag:rolleyes:) isn't really the point.....

I have to agree that there isn't going to be a formal shoe you will want to walk miles in. There are compromises- you're either going to be not-formal, or not-quite-as-comfortable.

I've done sundresses & touring around the Mediterranean in patent leather wedge sandals (years old, no clue what brand). I think that's the best compromise you're going to get - I wouldn't wear those shoes with a cocktail dress, but with a sundress - especially a maxi dress - they would be acceptable.....And since most cruiselines don't actually require/expect true formality these days.....:cool:

I have these Softspots (among many pairs of Softspots - I love them for work!!) http://www.shoebuy.com/softspots-neima/293386/626493 and am contemplating having these as one of 3 pairs for my Black Sea cruise in September (one pair hiking shoes, one pair walking sandals, one pair dressier for dinner & light walking - the Softspots would definitely handle a few blocks from the hotel/restaurant after dinner, and we'll be spending some pre/post cruise time in Athens & Venice...)

Is your dress long? If so, you can get away with a more casual sandal because it won't show so much -- just be sure to adjust your skirt nicely when a picture's being taken.

Regardless, a walking sandal with a formal dress is a stretch. Perhaps you could opt for a simple pair of flat sandals, something that might not be uber-comfortable for walking tours, but would be comfortable enough to wear around the ship with more casual outfits as well.

Archived