Fuel Surcharge?

MICHARCH

Is it possible for HAL to hit us with a fuel surcharge on our upcoming PC cruise? With oil at close to $100/bbl, I am crossing my fingers that they do not slap us with an increase. Any ideas? I seem to recall that that they mentioned a $9 daily fee that COULD be charged if the cost of oil increases.

My confirmation says

7) Holland America reserves the right to re-instate a fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person, per day should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX increase above $70 per barrel.

Is it possible for HAL to hit us with a fuel surcharge on our upcoming PC cruise? With oil at close to $100/bbl, I am crossing my fingers that they do not slap us with an increase. Any ideas? I seem to recall that that they mentioned a $9 daily fee that COULD be charged if the cost of oil increases.

sssshhhhhhh, don't rock the boat.

Theo

Our Local News tonight said...That companies, Municipalities, etc., will really start feeling the pinch in their pocketbooks at $100.00 per barrel. As of today it was at $98.00 per barrel. I expect to have the announcement when it hits $100. or $101.00 per barrel. And from the looks of it, might be sometime next week:(

Joanie

Seal,your lips and don't even raise that issue on these boards. If i comes, it comes. but don't get something started, Please!

RonJoan

I said on another thread on this topic that I think all the lines, HAL included, will only reinstate the surcharge when they have a fairly high degree of confidence that demand for cabins is pretty firm. I don't think we are there yet. Oil has been above $70 for a long time and there has been no surcharge. Someone else correctly pointed out that the cruise lines hedge their fuel costs (a great point) so that is also a factor. HAL knows the fuel surcharge is immensely unpopular and will have some impact on demand. Unless they are filling up ships, adding the fuel surcharge could actually be counter productive. Just my point of view.

Kirk

sssshhhhhhh, don't rock the boat.

Theo

Seal,your lips and don't even raise that issue on these boards. If i comes, it comes. but don't get something started, Please!

RonJoan

Do you really think, in your wildest imagination, that just because the possibility of a fuel surcharge being discussed on HAL CC Board is going to influence HAL whether the fuel surcharge will/will not be applied?:rolleyes:

Yes! :(

When they had the fuel surcharge last time - wasn't it capped at a maxiumum of $140 per cruise?

We are doing the 70 day Grand cruise next fall and would hate to think we would have to pay another $9 a day for that length of time.

Yikes!

yes -- the last time hal had the fuel surcharges in place -- we were on a 20 day cruise -- but it capped at 14 days

I hope that they will have a cap, this time. We leave in less than two months for a 22 day cruise and a cap would be nice, without that we would have $396 added to our account. It all depends on what type of oil futures contracts Carnival has negotiated.

I'd like to know, one way or another, before we leave for FLL, but at this juncture "No news is good news"

Do you really think, in your wildest imagination, that just because the possibility of a fuel surcharge being discussed on HAL CC Board is going to influence HAL whether the fuel surcharge will/will not be applied?:rolleyes:

No, I don't think it will make a bean difference if we discuss it here or not, just trying to :D up the board a bit.

Theo

It must be tough for HAL since fuel is easily, next to salaries, their biggest expense. Proctor and Gambol just announced they will increase their prices due to increases in commodities pricing.

We were charged the surcharge in 2008. But I have not been charged on the 4 cruises I've taken since then.

$9 per day seems to be reasonable given the price.

Then again, since I am a solo traveler and often pay twice what everyone else does for the same cabin (and don't get bonus days - boo hoo), maybe I am just used to overpaying.

Miriam

I assume they buy their fuel in advance, so it could be a few months before the new oil prices affect them. Either way, I'm not thrilled with the prospect of having to pay a fuel surcharge.

I would think that this is what they do. I certainly would prefer to spend my money in other ways than a fuel surcharge.

Diane

Archived