All things EARTH...

Melody - I am close to giving up on foundation, but I love the look of smooth perfect skin. My complexion is decent but as I age it gets a little reddish in spots, a little brownish in others. Foundation helps me not to feel self conscious about those imperfections.

Danni3ll3 - I am definitely going to check that foundation out. It's definitely a good starting point for sure.

Anita, Sunday night only for so many hours, JCP had an extra percentage of the sales price. Seeing that I would get free shipping plus I can bring them back this weekend, I ordered that dress in both jade and eggplant. I figured that if the dress worked, I could decide between the two.

In reality, I was thinking that the style wouldn't work and then there was a much bigger problem....

I often have to have dresses adjusted no matter what, because I'm a 16 on the top because I'm so chesty. Then I drop to a 12 or 10 farther down. They didn't have the dress in either color in a 16. So I decided whatever...and order them in a size 14.

Both dresses fit. They could even use to be taken in a little, through and through. Do I like them? I'll know more after I try them on again and have my daughters take a picture. I'll post them, and let everyone give their opinions. I already have some thoughts, but I like to get the input of others without creating any pre-conceived opinions. I probably should have just asked my husband to take a picture for me, but 1) I wasn't wearing shoes, and I think that affects your posture, 2) I was wearing a regular bra so I had a huge, heavy duty bra strap showing, and 3) I already had dinner started...I think it would have been distracting considering I always take pictures in the kitchen! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do still think about the Nordstrom dress a lot, but it doesn't seem like they have sales, do they? Coincidentally, I received an email from the mall today that Nordstrom Rack will be opening up soon, which is their outlet store. It will be great if they actually have formal wear there.

I like Zappos too, but agree that we need some sales! I will have to check out the other place you mentioned.

Foundation is interesting. I used to always buy the lightest color I could find, seriously. When I started paying attention to warm and cool, I was in a store and Loreal had a Color Match display. There was a transparent sheet, and you would move it over your hand until you found the shade that seemed to disappear and blend in with your skin. I varied between W2 and W3, because when it is warmer, my skin tends to have more color to it all the time. (not a tan - maybe a bit flushed?) This has worked perfectly for me, as my skin has become drier and it seems rather irritated.

One way to really think about whether or not a color is right for you is to put the foundation on one side. Wait a moment, and compare it to the side without makeup. It makes it easier to see what the differences are. Too often, there is a focus on making your skin look a certain way, such as warmer, darker, lighter, etc. I have always thought it should make you look more flawless, not a different color.

Does that make sense?

By the way, when I looked at your picture, I never thought that you might not be wearing makeup. You have beautiful skin.

I really, really need to find a good moisturizer to use. I'm very bad about taking care of my skin in that way. I used the harshest cleansers for the longest time, because I had acne and figured I needed something strong. It took me a long time to realize that my skin was also very sensitive, and I was just irritating it so badly. I need a gentle cleanser, but I still need to exfoliate so maybe I need some sort of deep but gentle scrub for once a week? Then a good moisturize to use each morning and night?

I'm babbling tonight, sorry. :-) I've heard of bb cream, cc cream...what are they?

Laurie

I was told long ago by the most wonderful facial person who had the greatest knowledge of skin care...I believe her name was Collette?...anyway, I had acne when I was younger and Mom sent me to her regularly...she said that the best exfoliate was corn meal. Like the kind that you would have in the pantry. Just add a little bit to your regular cleanser. Just put a little bit in the palm of your hand and then add your cleanser to it, and mix it together with your fingers. She said that corn meal is very round...it helps to remove the dry layer above without scratching the layers below. Other things, like crushed nut shells or the plastics added to commercial exfoliating cleansers are too harsh, especially for our acne prone skin.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Anita Latte

So, here we go! First off, excuse the messy kitchen. The teal isn't looking as much like teal in the pictures as it does in real life. Other than that, I will wait and see what you say. I should have also made an effort to try it on with something better underneath.

IMG_28801_zps447bc473.jpg

IMG_28781_zps3f921df7.jpg

IMG_28771_zps24fca14e.jpg

First off - this is your kitchen messy?!? Oh my... my kitchen doesn't look this nice on its best days. :)

The dresses are nice. If the lighting is more accurate in the brighter pictures, I think I prefer the eggplant over the teal. I really like the teal in the darker pictures but it looks a bit washed out in the brighter (back view) photo.

The dress style/material looks comfortable. I have a couple of dresses from JCPENNEY that are made of a fabric that looks similar to that. I love them. They are very comfortable but the fabric sometimes shows every flaw in my body so I wind up wearing uncomfortable shape wear and the comfort goes right out the window. Lol. So what are your thoughts, Laurie?

Laurie, awesome dress in either color!

Miss reading all your posts and posting but I've been crazy busy. Just got back from AZ on Tues. night after taking the DS back to school.

I'm off to FL tomorrow. I'll be back in 10 days and then I'll catch up with everyone!

I'm just a traveling gal! LOL!

Laurie...First off...

YOU look great!! This dress is really showing off how slender you have become!

The colors seem fine. Both of them.

The fit is off. The dress doesn't have the Grecian drape that it is designed to have because your curves partially fill out what is supposed to be extra fabric. Your curves are lovely...but this dress IMO isn't showing them off to great advantage as is.

The way the skirt is draping isn't as unflattering as the way the bust is draping. That point instead of a drape in the bust area is not working. I don't know if your alterations person could deal with that? To make it a smoother kind of a design instead of a draping design? OR...since the dress doesn't have the 16 that you need for your ladies...if you are on a losing trend...keep one...but like Margaret...this would be aspirational for when a 14 is what your top size is.

You know me Laurie...honest to a fault...so I'm sorry if you are in love with these dresses.

I like the purple one better than the teal one.

I have to say, Laurie, that the dresses look a lot nicer on than I expected from the website photos, partly because my recent experiences with JCP have been that their fabrics are unfortunately on the cheaper, more light-weight side. Those look well-designed and well-made, though.

But, I have to agree with most of what Anita said. I think there are issues with the draping in back, and the bust looks a little tight. I prefer the purple, also, even though you know how much I like teal. :) I think at that price, it might be worthwhile to hang on to one of them if you really like it.

I'm still looking for that messy kitchen you mentioned... wait, I think it's over here at my place!

That Nordstrom dress... lovely. I've decided for myself, though, that I just don't want to struggle with the special undergarments that unusual tops require. I LOVE to go dancing on formal night and I need a dress with straps and a good bra. If I knew I was just going to sit and look pretty, it wouldn't be a problem. But I know myself, and I know I won't sit!

I can't get excited about clothes lately. I'm not happy with my weight, and I feel like I'm just going to be re-packing the same things for this cruise (a bit like Pam said on the FIRE thread -- nothing new to see). I did take a photo of my new dress finally so I'll post it over the weekend. I'm putting in extra hours at work this week so things are pretty frantic around here. Have I said how sick I am of winter? I am. I just want to eat my way to spring. Not a good solution.

The talk about skin is interesting. From what I've seen of all your pictures, everyone has lovely skin and seems to have a handle on what they need. My remaining struggle is to find a sunscreen that doesn't irritate my skin. No matter what I use, if I use it for more than two days in a row I get red. It makes those beach days challenging. I end up looking like I have a sunburn even when I don't.

I think I'm going to get that red LL Bean shirt. I was originally drawn to Belize Blue but when I saw it on the website it looked too bright. I'm going to get both and see. They're on sale now, 12.99.

Super quick note! The back of the dress is supposed to be like that. It's a bit different. As to sizing, the dress is actually a little big. If I were to keep it, I would need to take it in a little under the arms. Plain and simple, I have a very large cup size. There is a lot of room, but my sizing makes the pleats awry. You'd almost have to be flat for this to lay right.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Laurie, I have the same issue you do. I'm 16 on top & 10 on bottom. I've actually stopped buying dresses as I'd get too upset. I've made several that I'm happy with.

I bought a pair of metallic silver evening pants on Macy.com. Arrived this morning & returned them this afternoon. Worst piece of stitching & cheap fabric that I've ever, ever seen! The girl at Macy's said,no cant believe these came from Macy's (they were the Alfani brand). I'm really disappointed & I'm back on the hunt as I really need a pair of silvery pants for this upcoming cruise in 40 days or I have to change two formal outfits [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did it. I ordered the red, the blue, and the coral. With the current 20% spring preview, each shirt is $9.60. I'll report on the colors when they arrive!

FYI these are actually from Lands End, not llbean.

That is a great deal, Margaret. If you can get better quality items on sale, grab them.

I'm still thinking about the dresses. I have what is needed to smooth out the look, and even though I refer to them as shapers, they really aren't. They just get rid of the lines and look better under things. I too want to be comfortable.

I don't think I've ever worn pants on a cruise. I'm just not the type. Additionally, the formal styles and colors don't work for me. I guess I'm willing to keep trying!

This brings me to an interesting thing. Lord and taylor has a Ralph Lauren dress on champagne that is exactly a style I know I can wear. It's on clearance and another 20% off. I know it's not the best color for me but I wished I had tried it on. The right style and fit can make a difference. I thought about ordering it online after I got home but they don't have my size online. They had two size 16s on the store, but looking at it, I kind of felt I would need a 14. A long lace gown with some sequins...it was really talking to me.

By the way, I found the selection in our huge mall yesterday to be very picked over.

By the way, I might order a couple of those shirts! Curt told me a long time ago that scoop necks work as well as a v neck. They seem to have been much harder to find.

Sometimes, I get so focused on trying to buy the right thing that I've come home with what I will call false V necks and then had to take them back because they didn't look right! You know, they have a V to them but it's way up and doesn't end up any better than a crew neck??

I really like the darker color but the fit over the bust area is not lying the way it was designed. To add in the price of alterations?

IMO, another dress with the one shoulder idea would be a good idea.

I did ask my DH without telling him my thoughts and he felt that pointed material just didn't look right.

Once I tried on a long dress with one shoulder etc, right color, right size, etc.

Should have looked smashing but on me, no sale as the bust area was off ( I wear a D cup bra too)

I too am like Anita and speak honestly re color but fit is extremely important

In any garment.

Well wish me luck... I am going to test for a position like what I do now just closer to home. Currently I work in a city about 42 miles away (one way). There is a like position in the city I live in and would cut about 40 miles off my commute each way. Better or similar money and possibly better benefits. I was invited to test and I do that today... hoping for the best. I SHOULD be able to pass the test since I already do the job, but... who knows.

Those Lands End shirts are cute but I think for me they might be a bit too clingy. I am not at the weight I'm comfortable with and while I like things with shape I get a little obsessive with things that cling. But I like some of the colors and I love a scoop neck.

Those shoes are HOT!!!! Love them. I have a hard time finding shoes like that -- my feet are very small and I have to order dressy shoes. I can buy boots at a regular shoe store because since I don't walk in them they can be a bit big. But shoes have to fit... so I can't cheat like I do with boots.

Order the dress online if you like it!!! If it doesn't fit you can return it, right? I say go for it. If you don't you'll always wonder "what if"...

I would have to agree with the thoughts on the dress. My husband is quite honest and he too had an issue with the pleat thingy. He didn't like the pleat on the model online as well, so o knew it would be a risk.

It was worthiness try!

I love those shoes, Margaret. They would be a bit too high for me though. Gosh, they're so pretty!!

I usually don't wear clingy things either but I have found that o tend to look worse if something is loose. I think that is because my bust measurement isn't changing, yet I'm

adding the illusion of weight in the middle?

I hope you get the new job!!! The shorter commute would be a blessing for you.