All things EARTH...

Melody, you had mentioned foot surgery before but I didn't realize how extensive it was. I'm hoping you're just about done with the surgeries and that your foot will be as good as new.

Mousey, it's good to have you back. I hope you are feeling like your usual self soon.

Margaret, I love that purse! That looks like a great purse for formal night or any time you want an accessory that is special or to add a special touch.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Melody,

Hoping your foot surgeries are successful and that you're well and healed up really soon.

Margaret,

Great score on the purse!

It's good to be back. I can't believe I was sick for a whole solid month!!!

That hasn't happened in years. I still tire easily but I'm not complaining. While I was in FL I hit a few thrift stores and a huge flea market (just outside of Mount Dora). I scored a few nice antiques. One is a beautiful, unusual teapot for my teapot collection and I also found (for $1) a vintage white glass hen dish. The top is a hen and then the bottom looks like her nest. You can keep little things in there like small safety pins or rings. Besides my teapot collection...I have a rooster/hen collection in my kitchen. I mix vintage with new pieces.

We, my SIL and her sister and I, went to a Goodwill store and I found several pairs of shoes and boots. I also found a Bob Mackie jacket that fit me perfectly. I did very well in that store. I also found two purses there. A Calvin Klein and a leather backpack from Argentina. LOL...it's where the DS is studying for the summer so I had to have it...plus it's really sturdy and looks more like a purse than a utilitarian backpack. My SIL wanted it but I saw it first! LOL!

I've just got to learn how to post pictures...I know it's been a couple of years that I've been saying that. I'll get around to it. LOL!:D

Edited by mousey

So I recently colored my hair much darker than I have been wearing it for the past several years. I have vacillated between reds, auburns and even blondes but haven't been this dark in years (maybe ever). I actually really like it. It makes my skin look so much better and I think it makes me look younger (which was really surprising because I have read that dark hair can really add years to appearance). What's interesting, is that the dark color allows me to wear very different colors than I normally have been picking for myself. Could our colors change with hair color? I thought it was tied more to skin, but I tend to look really yellow and sallow with a lot of the EARTH colors but with the much darker hair, I can actually wear blacks and reds and it looks decent. Actually it looks good. So I honestly don't know what color I'm supposed to wear. I can say that my go-to olive green (EARTH) looks horrible with my new hair color... I'm just not sure what to think or what colors to pick.

My new dark hair

ry%3D400

My typical hair color

ry%3D400

Personally I think the redder color from the second picture washes me out. I have the same amount of makeup on in both pictures. Everything is the same except the lipstick color.

Your skin looks brighter with the darker color, I really like it! I, personally, think that colors que in on hair color. When I was dark auburn (my natural color) I wore mostly olives, khakis, brown & creams. Now that my hair has silvered (I refuse to say gray) I can't wear any of them any longer. Mostly jewel colors, black & neon brights. Needed a whole new wardrobe!

Really like your new hair color -- your skin is beautiful!

Yes, you are looking like Ice now ( like me)

Being Asian I have black hair with dark brown tinge and now I have a few silver strands too. Wish my skin was as clear as yours😊

I think the reason you find black and red agree with you more is that you now have an ice hair color. The way Curt explained it to me is that your.natural hair color, skin tone and eye color determine your season. If you change one of those, yes, you will be able to wear certain colors better, but there will be something off.

I'm pretty content with just going a shade or two lighter or darker than my natural color. But, if I do something very different, it will throw my colors off quite a bit.

If I had only seen the first photo of you, I would definitely think you're an ICE. But, I also think the second photo highlights the beautiful color of your eyes more. Hmmm. Have you followed the 12 color discussion on the FIRE board? Maybe you are one of those people who is straddling seasons.

I went blond one summer for a play I was in. Even though it was a golden blond, as soon as my tan faded I looked wrong somehow. I think it's because I'm on the deeper end of the EARTH palette, and I need more depth of color (in my hair) to look balanced. I do notice that when my hair is freshly colored my skin looks amazing (and I don't have skin nearly as lovely as yours).

How your skin looks IRL would be the deciding factor for me. It can be difficult for us to judge colors here because of the vagaries of monitor displays. On my computer, your "ICE" picture skin is rosy compared to the "EARTH" picture, which is more peachy. I don't know if that's what you see, though.

Edited by MJC

DSC01943_zpsdfpvgvy4.jpg

I am posed like the manikins in the window...

And what is even more AWESOME is that my shirt is so similar to the one outfit in the window...and my bag is the color of the other one...

I just have to add how much I love this picture of you. The outfit, the fun that's coming through, it's all working for me. And I think your hair looks really cute.

I've been enjoying our discussion here so much I forgot I still have photos from last month to share. So here are some more!

I've been pondering these cute shorts from Lands End:

LandsEnd.jpg

This is one of those outfits that is interesting while at the same time appears to be very simple. I think it's because each item is a basic, but with it's own unique twist (Gucci):

Gucci2.jpg

I just love this fabric from D&G:

DampG.jpg

Some Givenchy for our ICE friends:

Givenchy.jpg

Too young for me, but how cute is this Dries van Noten?

DriesVanNoten.jpg

Ditto (Delposo):

Delposo.jpg

Thank you, Margaret, for saying so well what I was trying to say. It was a long day yesterday, with a service for my sister and a gathering after.

I would love to see pictures of you, Barbara, throughout the years with your natural hair color and no makeup. Lighting can make a difference too.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments on my hair. I am a bit shocked each time I see it in the mirror (it's so much darker than I normally wear) but I really like it. As for pictures of me with no makeup and natural hair color. I don't know that I have many at all. I have worn makeup since high school and any photo worthy moment usually involves at least some makeup. And I have colored my hair since my very early 20's when I first started going grey. I have a young childhood picture with natural hair and no make that I could probably scan in.

Margaret, what I notice about my skin with the darker color is that the imperfections that I normally struggle with (blotchiness) fade away. With my standard reddish hair the blotchy patches and uneven skin tone are really pronounced. And now my skin looks decent without makeup. It's really interesting.

Laurie, again I am so sorry for your loss.

Margaret, I love the colors/pattern of that last dress. Very cute.

Thanks Margaret!

Those shorts are cute...I could see Mom in something like that. She has always seemed to gravitate toward patterned bottoms.

My fav is what you call the simple outfit...I find the unusual use of the tie to be very fun...Everything about that outfit has a bit of a masculine vibe...except for the cleavage on the deep V, of course... I couldn't do that cleavage shot...well, I COULD, but I wouldn't...

I wonder about a lingerie inspired shirt though? That might bring in that feminine/sexy vibe that makes the outfit? I have a lingerie inspired shirt that I never wear because, well...it looks too much like lingerie...but an outfit like this. I have a denim jacket... A fun tie? Oh...need the pendant necklace too. I'm going to play with this look...

Barbara...I admit that you are a puzzle to me. When you share your photos...you always share a photo where your skin does look amazing. It's a kind of unreal smooth perfection. I'm not sure that is you at your best? Despite the fact that your skin looks amazing...it has an unworldly quality to it that makes me want to see you looking "natural."

Feeling that we look great is the most important thing. We all have an idea in our head about what that look is. From your posts...you strive for this look in your skin. (I don't know if this is truly your best look...) This combination is definitely a very attractive version of this look...the deep hair color provides a very startling contrast with your skin that highlights the smooth perfection in a beautiful way. You eyes looks deep and dark...and the red lips...you have a Snow White vibe going on.

I'm with cruzisme...I wish my skin were that clear too. Really...I wish that my eyebrows looked as great. I struggle with mine... You have a great shape and I like the darkening on them too.

Laurie...big hugs.

I've been busy...and accomplishing so much around the house. It's feeling really great in here. I'm going through our stuff...and finally finishing the move...getting things unpacked and organized and sorted.

Last night we went to see the Rolling Stones. We've taken DS to concerts before...for anyone familiar with such bands...we've seen Toby Mac, Third Day, Skillet, etc. All are a version of Christian Rock...I could more technical and say Hip Hop-ish, Southern Rock-ish, and Metal-ish. But last night was DS' first real rock concert.

Good times.

I saw the Stones' Steel Wheels tour in 1989. I am shocked by how much Mick Jagger hasn't changed... WOW is all I can say. The outer appearance of the band may have evolved a bit over the years...but the moves...OMG...so easy to see the inspiration for the Maroon 5 song...STILL. Such fun to see Mick Jagger hit the stage with such continued energy, vim, and vigor...so glad DS, with his love for music, could have the opportunity to see them perform live.

Omigosh.

So, here's the funny thing. On the outfit that Margaret labeled "simple," (although none of my pieces were Gucci)… IF that jacket had some fringe on it… and IF the jeans were bell bottoms and hip huggers…

I had that outfit!

LOL.

Anita, you do know that Mick Jagger is 6 months older than your Dad, right? Dad is still a rocker dude, right?

LOL.

Argh.. I just lost my post -- darn Cruise Critic.

The Rolling Stones are on my bucket list for concerts I still would like to see. Lately though it seems like a lot of the big tours charge such exorbitant ticket prices that I just can't see spending that kind of money. DH and I used to go to at least a couple of shows a year, but in the last several years that number has dwindled dramatically. Maybe it's because we are prioritizing other things in our lives, or maybe it's just that the bands we really want to see haven't been touring much. But wow, I bet it was an awesome show.

I am not sure exactly what you see with my skin, Anita. I am wondering if it's the makeup that's throwing you a bit, so I took a picture this morning sans makeup (the red lipstick stained my lips a bit so ignore that) to see if it helps any. The sun was evil this morning though and no matter where I took the picture there is a bit of glare to one side so my face looks a bit brighter on one side... I'm sorry I tried to ask it to go behind a cloud but it refused to listen to me. ;)

ry%3D400

I also found a picture from Kindergarten that probably is the best indicator of my natural hair color. I am, however, tan in the picture (we had a pool when I was a kid and I spent my entire summers attempting to grow gills) and no longer tan at all. I feel awkward posting all of these pictures of myself but I think you all have some good insight to the color thing and am hoping that I can figure out what I should be looking for color-wise for clothes.

ry%3D400

Cholla , your skin is gorgeous even without make up .

Earth ladies , JJill has lots of earthy things this season . I just bought a olive green maxi dress . On line it looked washed out but when it arrived I was so happy with the rich green color with some gold accents .

Hi Barbara,

I'm curious to see what others think about your coloring, it will be interesting.

I think your skin is lovely, it looks like satin to me! So perfectly smooth and pore-less.

To my eye, I don't see you as an ICE. The Kindergarten photo has a white collar and I think it washed you out. To me, white is the tell tale color that will say ICE right away. All the other seasons look washed out in white.

In the recent photo of you in the glasses and older hair color, you have on a silver pendant and I don't think it looks as complimentary to your chest skin tone. That to me says-- no-- to ICE and AIR.

That leaves FIRE and EARTH.

That was a rather quick and simplistic way of ruling out or in for your season :eek: Just off the top of my head, those are my thoughts.

Last night we went to see the Rolling Stones. We've taken DS to concerts before...for anyone familiar with such bands...we've seen Toby Mac, Third Day, Skillet, etc. All are a version of Christian Rock...I could more technical and say Hip Hop-ish, Southern Rock-ish, and Metal-ish. But last night was DS' first real rock concert.

Good times.

I saw the Stones' Steel Wheels tour in 1989. I am shocked by how much Mick Jagger hasn't changed... WOW is all I can say. The outer appearance of the band may have evolved a bit over the years...but the moves...OMG...so easy to see the inspiration for the Maroon 5 song...STILL. Such fun to see Mick Jagger hit the stage with such continued energy, vim, and vigor...so glad DS, with his love for music, could have the opportunity to see them perform live.

Anita,

What a great time you mist have had! What did your DS think? I can't imagine how Mick Jagger has stayed so well all these years. Think of the life he's lead and things he's put into his body. Amazing how he can still rock'n roll and prance around the stage at his age. Maybe I missed the boat and should have lived Mick's lifestyle ;)

Barbara...I understand about the cost. I didn't pay for the tickets in 1989...through a friend's work connections, he got 2 tickets gratis and so I went with him. We did pay for last night; they weren't cheap, but they were in the upper deck...so they were in the cheapest ticket bracket sold. And they were good seats...all things considered.

We had wanted to see either Eric Clapton or Santana last summer...but those tickets were INSANE. Small venue...and the cheap seats were terrible seats and not worth the $360+ price tag at all.

DH and I used to see Santana every year in San Antonio...good show.

We are hopeful that there were be another Crossroads Tour in 2016...and hopeful that we could afford it if there is one. Clapton is definitely on my bucket list.

Barbara...are your taking your photos with a flash?

Kim...DS is into all things music. He could appreciate how the show was quite a show first of all. It was at the Georgia Tech stadium...so the venue was a sold out mass of humanity. The stage was huge and elaborate. The lighting. The video. The backdrops and the changes. The fireworks. It was a PRODUCTION as much as it was a concert...entirely fitting for such a rock and roll legend.

He also knew a lot of the songs. Not all of them...but admittedly, I didn't know every single song either.

The experience as a whole was one of those tuck away and save memories, I belief. DS doesn't wax eloquent on such things...he can talk your ear off about music theory...but he doesn't yet use words to convey his feelings and emotions and takes on such things easily yet. Right now...I put him on the phone with Mom and in response to How was the concert? All I heard him really say was, "It was SWEET." LOL!

The Rolling Stones, wow! I think I would enjoy that concert very much, except that in a loud venue, which concerts are, it can be hard for me to deal with due to my hearing aid. Most people think that when you can't hear, louder is better. However, that isn't the way it works because I hear some sounds well, and some not so well.

Still...I think I would love it because I like the Rolling Stones a lot. That being said, you and i both have a bucket list that is the same, and I never thought that we would both love Eric Clapton! Fleetwood Mac is another.

Barbara, don't be sorry for posting pictures. They are so important! With your latest picture, without makeup, I am thinking that the lighting isn't letting us see the skin clearly enough. Seeing your kindergarten picture is very informative to me though. Even if you were tan, I'm seeing something in the way you tanned at that age and with your hair and all...

it made me also think warm. I think that Anita made a good point about the discussion on the fire thread, and how there are groups within our group, so to speak. Very informally speaking, I was thinking that I'm more of a mid tone autumn, as far as that group goes, but I haven't delved too deep into it yet.

Margaret, those clothes are fun. I see the appeal in the outfit that Anita likes. I like certain aspects of it too. I also find that I'm attracted to the print shorts as well. My daughters are trying to convince me that I would look good in the newer print palazzo pants. I want to make sure they are really earthy though. I've gotten so that my wardrobe is probably mostly accurate, with some fire colors thrown in. I think I'd benefit from trying them with more of a tank top out of what I already have and see what happens.

I've been getting a pictodiary ready as a word document. I think it will help me to post my thoughts a little better. It's a fun journey to make. It's like reliving the vacation.

I do want to say thank you again to all of you. You've been great friends at what is a very tough time. Yesterday was a draining day, but it was a good day. We chose the perspective that we were celebrating my sister's memory rather than mourning her loss. There were tears to be sure, especially at church. But we continued our day with all of us siblings, our significant others, nieces an nephews. Since I come from a family of 7, that is a sizeable crowd. We shared pictures, memories and lots of love.

This brings me full circle to Barbara, and the kindergarten picture. I often find that as we go through life, our hair color, eyes and skin tones can and do change - but within their season. For example, at one time, my hair was much darker, and the red tones less pronounced. But it was still an earth color. I was constantly thinking about color theory when we looked at the old photos. The older pictures from the late 60s, 70s and early 80s tend to age a bit, and they don't always hold true. That is where a variety of photos in all sorts of lighting, covering many years can be really helpful.

I forgot to mention Anita that my husband and daughter recently went to see Billy Joel and loved it. For whatever reason, I've never really taken to him. My husband offered to buy me a ticket, but I passed.

Billy Joel was one of the best concerts I ever saw! (I've been to a lot!)

He played at the Oakland Arena. His stage was set up at the far end of the floor...so the floor was very deep. Too expensive for me. We were in the first row of the not on the floor tickets in the section farthest from the stage. There were steps to the floor however...

I saw the fans rush the stage and I BOLTED down the aisle to get to the stage. As I was jostling for position...I happened to turn around and there were security guards that had stood about 8-10 feet away from the stage and only a very few of us that were on the other side of them. I relaxed and stopped pushing forward as much and enjoyed standing about 2 feet away from the stage for the rest of the concert. Dancing, singing...

I was the only one is our group that made it past the security guards. :cool:

I got to shake Billy Joel's hand at the end of the concert! He reached over and shook several at the end when he was leaving.

So good.

Love me some Clapton. We have several CDs now. Mostly they are in the guise of gifts and purchases for DS (he plays guitar)...but we all listen to them. He has been doing the big Crossroads Guitar Festival every 3 years. If that holds true, then there should be another one in 2016.

There have been a couple now in the North...we are hoping that he might finally do another one somewhere in the South...

I enjoy Fleetwood Mac too. I could sing the entire Rumors album...I think my family and I listened to it a lot on road trips. Mom and Dad liked Fleetwood Mac too.

The Stones' tour is called Zip Code. It's all in outdoor venues. I don't know how that would work with your hearing aid?

I've been reading through this today:

http://www.bodyshapecalculator.co.uk/trinny-and-susannahs-12-body-shapes

http://trinnyandsusannah.com/category/body-shapes/

I need DH's help to get a current picture of me so that I can stare at my body shape. I've been looking in the mirror and things that I thought were true, don't seem to be true...and so I need to have an actual picture to make some comparisons and answer the questions on the blog.