All things EARTH...

Did you decide on a cut yet? There is an earlier post with your hair shorter and I thought it looked good that length.

I can't stand it when I need a haircut. I just don't feel pulled together if my hair doesn't look good. :) Right now it's a little on the long side because I have a formal coming up and I want it a little longer to curl it, but every day when I get home from work I feel like I look like a ragamuffin. How your hair falls around your face and neck is so important -- like Anita's recent cut, even in a static picture it looks like it's swinging.

Can't wait to see your pictures after Saturday's transformation!

Margaret,

I think I'm going to leave the length pretty close to what it is now. CJW seemed to like the length, he just despised the color. :) I need to get it cleaned up some and the layers redone because my hair is really heavy and when the layers get too long it makes me become "triangle head" which isn't terribly attractive for me. But the length now is about shoulder length and it lets the natural wave do it's thing and I can straighten it when I want to (which is less and less these days). I really need the color done though. If I wasn't waiting to get it done professionally I would have already done the color again because the roots are making me insane. But I'm behaving and staying away from the hair color aisle in the stores...

Barbara...I feel like you need a countdown to Saturday! LOL. I can only imagine how much you are looking forward to it!

Margaret...what is your formal occasion and what are you wearing?

Lol. You have no idea! Never thought I'd be so excitedd to get a hair cut..

Margaret, please share your event and all the "goodies" what you're wearing, hairstyle,etc.

Am looking forward to seeing Barbara's hair!

We are having a black tie party to celebrate our 25th Anniversary next week. When I was looking for a dress I purposely did not even try on any black. Yay me. I'm wearing a full-length gown in a deep blue. I'm going to try to attach a picture (my first time doing this) from the runway show. My dress has a scoop neck with a cap sleeve not off-the-shoulder like the photo, and of course it's not purple like the picture.

I have a lovely diamond necklace to wear that DH gave me for our 10th, not exactly Earth, but -hey- they're diamonds!

I just got a trim today so tomorrow I'm going to curl my hair and try everything on, and decide whether I want to wear it that way or go for an updo. If the curling comes out well I'll try to take a photo for you.

I really want to do a blue party but I've been too busy to pull stuff out of the closet and take photos. I always thought of myself as a blue person but I recently realized I don't actually have that much. Too much black! Argh.

shoji.jpg.740a9c3550897cccfcfa93601561433c.jpg

So, please ignore my "crazy eyes" in the "before" picture. I was trying so hard not to blink that I went a little "Uncle Fester" in the picture. Scary enough, this was the best of the before pictures.

009-1.jpg?t=1318729235013.jpg?t=1318729210

I have a tiny bit of makeup on in the after picture -- we had gone out to dinner so I had put on some lipgloss and mascara. So... better?

Am looking forward to seeing Barbara's hair!

We are having a black tie party to celebrate our 25th Anniversary next week. When I was looking for a dress I purposely did not even try on any black. Yay me. I'm wearing a full-length gown in a deep blue. I'm going to try to attach a picture (my first time doing this) from the runway show. My dress has a scoop neck with a cap sleeve not off-the-shoulder like the photo, and of course it's not purple like the picture.

I have a lovely diamond necklace to wear that DH gave me for our 10th, not exactly Earth, but -hey- they're diamonds!

I just got a trim today so tomorrow I'm going to curl my hair and try everything on, and decide whether I want to wear it that way or go for an updo. If the curling comes out well I'll try to take a photo for you.

I really want to do a blue party but I've been too busy to pull stuff out of the closet and take photos. I always thought of myself as a blue person but I recently realized I don't actually have that much. Too much black! Argh.

Margaret, what a gorgeous dress!!!!!! I am dying to see a picture of you in it. Please post one if you are comfortable doing it. Congratulations on your anniversary and have a fabulous time at your party!!!!

Ok, I took these at 10pm last night, and I had to do it in the kitchen where there are halogens so you could actually see something. I had just got my hair colored so it's a tad bright but it will calm down in the next 2 days. A little messy, but this is how I decided to wear my hair.

I got a sparkly clip today to wear in the back.

hair1.jpg.f0240201f7c6d57275da03e70bb93491.jpg

hair2.jpg.71c14862148cd19f0c2dd69fddc256d7.jpg

Margaret, I love your hair. And I really like the color too. I think that will look gorgeous with your new dress. Please post pictures when you get them. I'd love to see the whole package. As for my hair, yes, I still love it. Probably more now, because I've changed some of my makeup to go with it more. Just bought a great eyeshadow set of neutrals that look really good on me... expensive but worth it.

Ok, I took these at 10pm last night, and I had to do it in the kitchen where there are halogens so you could actually see something. I had just got my hair colored so it's a tad bright but it will calm down in the next 2 days. A little messy, but this is how I decided to wear my hair.

Margaret,

What a cute hairstyle and it will look so pretty with that lovely new dress of yours!

I'm a FIRE but, still like to read this great EARTH thread :)

Margaret, What a LOVELY up do! I am impressed that you can do this yourself!

I don't know if any periodically goes back to the Vivienne Files blog. I do. I don't read it every day. Maybe once a week, or even once in a longer while. I pick and choose what I focus on there. I was interested in the book that she talked about here.

It wasn't available in my local library, but I was feeling like gifting myself so I checked out Amazon...found a cheap copy for free shipping...BUT, I needed to add more to my cart to get to $25...so I also ordered two Tim Gunn books, both of which I've read before...The Style book and The Life Lessons book. Love both. Wouldn't mind owning both. They were on sale. I got all 3 books for $25.43...and FREE SHIPPING!! Yay Amazon. :)

I'm excited about the Style book. let you know any fun lessons I learn along the way. The books just arrived Monday.

Meanwhile...I haven't had a picture taking opportunity yet. So, I haven't gotten to my oranges yet. Still on the agenda. I have had a horrible break out on my chin. So I haven't been enthused to try to take pictures anyway. :( Working on it!

Margaret, What a LOVELY up do! I am impressed that you can do this yourself!

I don't know if any periodically goes back to the Vivienne Files blog. I do. I don't read it every day. Maybe once a week, or even once in a longer while. I pick and choose what I focus on there. I was interested in the book that she talked about here.

It wasn't available in my local library, but I was feeling like gifting myself so I checked out Amazon...found a cheap copy for free shipping...BUT, I needed to add more to my cart to get to $25...so I also ordered two Tim Gunn books, both of which I've read before...The Style book and The Life Lessons book. Love both. Wouldn't mind owning both. They were on sale. I got all 3 books for $25.43...and FREE SHIPPING!! Yay Amazon. :)

I'm excited about the Style book. let you know any fun lessons I learn along the way. The books just arrived Monday.

Meanwhile...I haven't had a picture taking opportunity yet. So, I haven't gotten to my oranges yet. Still on the agenda. I have had a horrible break out on my chin. So I haven't been enthused to try to take pictures anyway. :( Working on it!

I am very interested to know what you think about the book mentioned on The Vivienne Files blog. It crossed my mind to order it when I read about it on her blog, but will now wait until I hear your review--if you don't mind giving a review, that is.

It seems like I've had chin break-out issues each and every time I've taken pictures for our colors--understand totally the underwhelming. (I know overwhelming, but is underwhelming a word? It's how I feel though.)

--Debbie

My stick-straight hair will stick out, but up is nearly impossible, so I am envious of people that can wear their hair up. Now that you've had a few days, do you still love the color? I think it is simply mah-va-lous dahling. The entire package--color, style and sparkly clip--mah-va-lous, simply mah-va-lous.

I am very interested to know what you think about the book mentioned on The Vivienne Files blog. It crossed my mind to order it when I read about it on her blog, but will now wait until I hear your review--if you don't mind giving a review, that is.

It seems like I've had chin break-out issues each and every time I've taken pictures for our colors--understand totally the underwhelming. (I know overwhelming, but is underwhelming a word? It's how I feel though.)

--Debbie

Me mind? Talking? Writing a review? Of course I don't mind.

Style Statement

So far, I've read through Chapter 1 and have started looking at Chapter 2.

Chapter 1 explains a bit about how the authors met and got started doing what they are doing with Style Statement. It defines the idea of a style statement and how it can be of benefit in all decisions that you make in your life. It also has examples of different people, their style statements, and some more descriptions about each person that offer clues as to what the style statement means to that person and how their style statement is reflected in their decisions and choices.

Basically, the idea of the style statement is to set out on a path of self discovery and analysis to try to find a guiding thread that is revealed by the process. It is to get in touch with your authentic self so that you can reveal that self in your decision making in all that you do. It is to try to reduce the times in life where you think to yourself, "What was I thinking?" when a decision you make is like :confused:.

I'm loving the idea of this book. Because the idea of the style statement is applicable to so many different areas of life. The book defines the following as affected by your style...Home (dwelling space) + stuff (what you own, collect, desire); Fashion (clothing. adornment.) + sensuality (5 senses. sexuality); Spirit (divine life. inspiration.) + Learning (seeking experience and knowledge); Service (work. philanthrophy.) + Wealth (income. outflow.); Relationships (friends. romance. family. colleagues.) + communication (tools for interacting); Creativity (ideas. creations.) + celebration (occasions. gifts.); Body (food. exercise.) + wellness (care and healing.); Nature (the elements) + Rest & Relaxation (what calms and entertains you.).

When you understand your style, then you can make better choices in general in everything you do. I really love this.

Chapter 2 is the guided part for self reflection and discovery. The book (as much as it is about defining your style) is not about LABELING yourself...rather it is more about discovering yourself. There are thoughtful exercises in this book that will take time to answer. There was one question that really threw me for a loop.

I feel most at home:

This is the place where you feel most grounded and connected to yourself.

I live in a rental that we have lived in now for a little over a year. So keep this in mind. I was rather shocked to realize that the thought that came to my mind to answer this question was my BATHTUB. :o I was like :confused: and somewhat :( to realize that I didn't feel grounded or connected to myself anywhere else in my house.

So I tried to think about the last place where I felt most at home.

These thoughts and another exercise made me realize that I LIKE clutter. :eek: OMG. I do not love empty spaces. I like spaces that are filled with stuff. It's just that I want the stuff to be meaningful, beautiful, colorful, and not too much. But I don't really care about clean surfaces; I would rather have stuff on tables, endtables, walls, etc. So funny.

So today, I have spent some time thinking about my family room and making it a more happy place where I can feel more at home. More grounded. More connected to myself. And I'm hoping that as I work through working in this room and through some of these exercises in the book, I can discover a bit more about myself. Funny how I feel like I need to get to know myself a bit more, but I know I do because I don't really have a definite style. At least one that I can recognize or describe to anyone.

I guess I am writing chapters, but sections would be more appropriate. This inquiry section is from page 86 to page 200. Page 232 begins a series of words that I guess you can draw from to use to define your style statement. There are 39 words for the foundation part of the statement. This is to define your inner nature, your foundation, what drives you 80% of the time. There are about 20 pages that follow that talk about each of these words. Then there are two pages of words for the creative part of the statement. This is your creative edge and what comes into play 20% of the time to motivate and distinguish you.

There is some advice and guiding thought processes in the application of your style statement from page 200 to page 230.

I'm looking forward to doing the exercises in the book. It fits in very well with where I am at in life right now. Recently moved. On the verge of a milestone birthday. Losing weight. Changing lifestyle. New wardrobe. New work. New relationships. Etc etc. And honestly, I have felt out of touch with myself for a while now. I feel like I have been responsive to a lot of things happening in life, but I have lacked the pursuit of life with intent. And this is where I am at. I want to be more intentional and less reactive. So there you go.

I'm very happy with this book. I do plan to do the exercises. If you don't want to do all this thinking about yourself, and spend some time analyzing your life, your likes, your dislikes, and more importantly WHY you like and dislike, then this book would be a waste of time because that is what this book is really all about. It is a guide to do self discovery. I'm loving the idea of beginning the new year with intent and a renewed sense of self.

That's my review. Any questions?

Style Statement

So far, I've read through Chapter 1 and have started looking at Chapter 2.

I'm very happy with this book. I do plan to do the exercises. If you don't want to do all this thinking about yourself, and spend some time analyzing your life, your likes, your dislikes, and more importantly WHY you like and dislike, then this book would be a waste of time because that is what this book is really all about. It is a guide to do self discovery. I'm loving the idea of beginning the new year with intent and a renewed sense of self.

That's my review. Any questions?

Thanks, Anita. Your most excellent review was exactly what I needed to hear. I too like the idea of beginning the new year with a fresh perspective. I'll look around Amazon to see what I can find. --Debbie

I'm looking forward to doing the exercises in the book. It fits in very well with where I am at in life right now. Recently moved. On the verge of a milestone birthday. Losing weight. Changing lifestyle. New wardrobe. New work. New relationships. Etc etc. And honestly, I have felt out of touch with myself for a while now. I feel like I have been responsive to a lot of things happening in life, but I have lacked the pursuit of life with intent. And this is where I am at. I want to be more intentional and less reactive. So there you go.

This part of your review makes me want to go buy this book. I made a major career change in my forties and it took several years to realize my home did not reflect my new needs. The evolution has been very slow. Lately I have been thinking that in the switch I threw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak, and I have been rethinking the things I let go completely, and thinking about how to achieve a better balance (I went from a very physical job to a very mental one). I think the current state of my home is reflecting this struggle with my self-perception and my evolving priorities.

I know we talk about color, and hair, and clothes, and it seems at first glance very superficial. But, really, how we present ourselves to the world is how we think of ourselves, and you can't change one without changing the other. The evolution we go through to find our colors is just an indication to me of greater interior changes that are happening.

So, my Earth friends, do you agree?

Thanks, Anita. Your most excellent review was exactly what I needed to hear. I too like the idea of beginning the new year with a fresh perspective. I'll look around Amazon to see what I can find. --Debbie

My pleasure!

This part of your review makes me want to go buy this book. I made a major career change in my forties and it took several years to realize my home did not reflect my new needs. The evolution has been very slow. Lately I have been thinking that in the switch I threw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak, and I have been rethinking the things I let go completely, and thinking about how to achieve a better balance (I went from a very physical job to a very mental one). I think the current state of my home is reflecting this struggle with my self-perception and my evolving priorities.

I know we talk about color, and hair, and clothes, and it seems at first glance very superficial. But, really, how we present ourselves to the world is how we think of ourselves, and you can't change one without changing the other. The evolution we go through to find our colors is just an indication to me of greater interior changes that are happening.

So, my Earth friends, do you agree?

I completely agree. This is very well said.

Style Statement

I'm loving the idea of this book. Because the idea of the style statement is applicable to so many different areas of life. The book defines the following as affected by your style...Home (dwelling space) + stuff (what you own, collect, desire); Fashion (clothing. adornment.) + sensuality (5 senses. sexuality); Spirit (divine life. inspiration.) + Learning (seeking experience and knowledge); Service (work. philanthrophy.) + Wealth (income. outflow.); Relationships (friends. romance. family. colleagues.) + communication (tools for interacting); Creativity (ideas. creations.) + celebration (occasions. gifts.); Body (food. exercise.) + wellness (care and healing.); Nature (the elements) + Rest & Relaxation (what calms and entertains you.).

The exercises in this book are a lot of work. This isn't an easy multiple choice type of exercise where there are canned answers and you try to figure out the best one to describe yourself. These are open ended essay questions. Not that you have to write an essay...but you get the point.

For each of the 9 categories above there are 10 or so questions under the heading "What Works Well for Me." These analyze your current situation to highlight the most positive thing about your current situation and get you to define what it is about that greatest thing that makes it the greatest thing. Also, there may be questions about your ideals or dreams with regard to the current category. For example...in the HOME + STUFF..."If I could have been born in a different culture or time period, it would have been: What feels attractive to you about that place or era? What would you most appreciate or delight in?"

There are also 5 or so questions under the heading "What Does NOT work Well for Me." These analyze your current situation to highlight the most negative thing and WHY it is the most negative thing. Also, there are questions involving imagining worst case scenarios and past negative situations. For example...in the HOME + STUFF..."If someone didn't know me very well, they'd take me on a date to: It would be disastrous because:"

After each of these two sets of questions is the "Filter & Interpret your answers" section. These questions are always there:

1. What words or concepts feel important or intriguing to you?

2. What themes are showing up in your answers?

3. What words, images, or feelings are crossing your mind?

So like I said. These exercises are WORK. This is not a simple, nor fast process. This appeals to me though. I don't like the idea of some canned label that tries to define my style. I DO like the idea of having done major thinking and soul searching to be able to put into words something that will help me keep on track when making certain decisions. This will offer greater understanding of what makes a decision or choice a good one, with longevity and not just a fad or whim.

I have an example.

I have always been able to narrow down a field of choices to just two choices. But then, being able to decide between the two has always been difficult. I can think of two instances where I didn't decide and bought both. BUT, I wore one WAY more than the other. Once I owned it, the decision was clear. What will be interesting is to see if I can figure out WHY the one would always be so much better than the other...and why I couldn't figure this out at the purchase decision.

I can also think of times where I have seen someone else wearing something, and I have LOVED it on them, so much so that I bought the exact same thing for myself...and never worn it. What's up with that?

I'm waxing philosophical this morning...;)

Hope everyone is keeping warm. Only supposed to be a high of 63 today with 20 mile an hour north winds. Brrrrrrrr.

Anita, how did you make your picture chart when you did greens? I'd like to post my blues.

I'm interpreting "picture chart" as the collage picture?

I use photobucket. It is a free account. You upload your photographs into photobucket.

Select EDIT PHOTOS from the secondary menu bar across the top of the page. If you can't see that option, you may need to first roll your mouse over ALBUMS in the top menu bar.

On the new page that loads, in the Get Photos dialogue box, select the button that says Create a Collage.

On the new page that loads, the Fotoflexer dialogue box has several different Layout Options on the left side. You can select a box that makes sense with the number of photos that you have. For instance, if you have 8 photos, you might select the layout that is the 4 x 4 box. You will be able to crop out the used rows in a later step.

Once you Select a Layout, Click on the Load Photo buttons in each frame to then go through the process of selecting the photos. You can click and drag the photos around to rearrange the order of the photographs once they are loaded.

I usually change the Spacing setting on the left side to 0. The default is 10.

I also usually change the Proportions from the default 50:50 (square frame) to 43:57 (portrait style) if I select a layout that has squares. The portrait style rectangle shows the shirts better.

Once you have the photos entered into the frames that you want filled, click on the Customize button.

Now you are in the standard EDIT PHOTO pages. You can select the Crop tool to be able to crop out unused frames, if necessary. And save a copy of your creation.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Weather here has been lousy. We actually got some rain! Not good for photos...that and the fact that I am a wet rag all the time with my new Zumba class schedule. I'll be so excited to see someone's photos! Especially EARTH. Can't wait! :)

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I hope to try it this week.

Lately I've been thinking about eye color and how that affects which Earth tones are the absolute best for me. I have a shirt that is the same green as your favorite one, Anita, and while it looks good on me it doesn't have the same pop that it does on you. Also, on one of CJW's posts about an awards show there is an Earth girl wearing a salmon/peach type color that looks dynamite, while on me it's kind of eh? Maybe I'm looking for too much drama? I don't know.

I think it has something to do with opposites on the color wheel. I'd like to hear your take on this.